Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I imagine that having his face torn off and smashed into concrete by Toshinori is also a motivating factor for AFO.

He did say he still has nightmares of All Might, so I imagine the threat of Deku being even stronger is a good reason he wants it to himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mushroom Girl is a theoretical threat to the entire human species so she is definitely one level beyond OFA in potential danger. Momo is also as dangerous fwiw, they just don't consider it in universe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Ironically One For All is probably one of the least concerning power sets to be in the hands of a mass murderer in terms of pure body count. Like yeah Evil Deku could paste quite a few people but he's mostly specialized in taking out one on one fights. In comparison most of the rest of his classmates could obliterate somewhere around a city block if they wanted to.

OfA is a very basic super strength power in concept, but the thing that makes it insane is the sheer scale of its power. All Might was so powerful that he managed to singlehandedly destroy the grip of villains on the entire society of Japan, was regularly shown solving multiple lethally dangerous incidents that other heroes couldn't even approach in seconds, and singlehandedly powerbombed the most dangerous villain in the setting into the floor not once, but twice, and the second time was with the last fading fumes of the power rather than the power itself. If he wanted to, he could almost assuredly level entire cities and basically no one could reasonably stop him.

Deku has a stronger version of OfA with multiple additional utility powers layered on top. Evil Deku would basically be Evil Superman except without kryptonite or sunlight deprivation as achilles heels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There is no limit to what Momo can create right (though I’d assume she can’t say, pull a living being out of her body or anything)? Meaning theoretically there’d be nothing stopping her from making a nuke or some other kind of deadly weapon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Larryb posted:

There is no limit to what Momo can create right (though I’d assume she can’t say, pull a living being out of her body or anything)? Meaning theoretically there’d be nothing stopping her from making a nuke or some other kind of deadly weapon.

Presumably she'd need to somehow protect herself if she was creating something immediately hazardous to humans, like acid or active radioactive materials or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

She'd have to know exactly how to create it and probably would expose herself to fatal levels of radiation creating it I think, which is the problem.

Doesn't stop her from say- creating massive clouds of nerve gas. or C4/RDX/etc.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Eej posted:

Mushroom Girl is a theoretical threat to the entire human species so she is definitely one level beyond OFA in potential danger.

I have to imagine that much like Shinso (who seemed super overpowered until we got all his quirk's limitations), she's probably got a list of limitations that we simply haven't gotten yet and will turn out to be far less OP than she seems in practice.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SKULL.GIF posted:

... Shigaraki Tomura. But his real name is...

Shimura Tenko.

Deku will give Tenko OFA so Decay has enough power to fully disintegrate All For One. Tenko finally gets to be a hero in his last moments, and Deku returns to being Quirkless at the end of the story, having become the greatest hero -- one willing to sacrifice even his own heroicness.

imagine if giving him one for all just immediately backfires and now he's the strongest superbeing on the planet in addition to have 10 billion quirks

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Shadowlyger posted:

I have to imagine that much like Shinso (who seemed super overpowered until we got all his quirk's limitations), she's probably got a list of limitations that we simply haven't gotten yet and will turn out to be far less OP than she seems in practice.

Manga was doing a hell of a job as backup making the arena humid, she might not be useful during a dry spell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure with OFA you could just punch the planet in half like that kirby minigame

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

tbp posted:

imagine if giving him one for all just immediately backfires and now he's the strongest superbeing on the planet in addition to have 10 billion quirks

Given how both their bodies are handling the quirks separately, and that OFA gets stronger when its passed on, I legit expect a fairly possible endgame for an unredeemable Shigaraki scenario is Deku giving up his quirk willingly and then Shigaraki just loving exploding when he tries to do something.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kithkar posted:

Given how both their bodies are handling the quirks separately, and that OFA gets stronger when its passed on, I legit expect a fairly possible endgame for an unredeemable Shigaraki scenario is Deku giving up his quirk willingly and then Shigaraki just loving exploding when he tries to do something.

"I am Tetsuo Tomura."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Shigaraki empowered by One For All just uses Decay to destroy the planet.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Watching Koda in the anime the other day, it occurred to me how bad a superpower "control animals" is for actually fighting people. Like unless you're someone who hates animals it would feel really lovely putting them in danger by using them that way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah that one is pretty bad for actual combat but so is growing body parts on your body like someone's gonna shoot out your eye that you grew on your arm one day and it's gonna suck

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kithkar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa5wrvr3Zn4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Viridiant posted:

Watching Koda in the anime the other day, it occurred to me how bad a superpower "control animals" is for actually fighting people. Like unless you're someone who hates animals it would feel really lovely putting them in danger by using them that way.

You say that, then remember that power also includes insects

Call up all the local creepy-crawlies to swarm over your enemies and unless they have a good Delete Everything Instantly Quirk, they're gonna be quite distracted for others to take down (or be incapacitated, if any of those insects are toxic)

Koda's good support for search and rescue though, at least

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

oh jay posted:

Detnerat, run by upstanding citizen Rikiya Yotsubashi, who definitely isn't some kind of megalomaniac bent on upending society.
I just realized this should be Detnelat, because then it's Talented backwards.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Vinylshadow posted:

You say that, then remember that power also includes insects

Call up all the local creepy-crawlies to swarm over your enemies and unless they have a good Delete Everything Instantly Quirk, they're gonna be quite distracted for others to take down (or be incapacitated, if any of those insects are toxic)

Koda's good support for search and rescue though, at least

No joke when Koda called up the insects to swarm Present Mic I was thinking "Oh no, I hope he doesn't squish any of Koda's little friends."

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, it's not about the power actually being bad for combat (of course being able to sic shitloads of animals on your enemies is useful) but that it'd absolutely suck, emotionally, to use that way. Especially because Koda seems like a pretty gentle person.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Absolutely fantastic for scouting, espionage, and rescue, though.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Viridiant posted:

It’s fine for rescue operations and support, but then it begs the question of why have a combat entrance exam where only combat based quirks would really shine.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Asuron posted:

It’s fine for rescue operations and support, but then it begs the question of why have a combat entrance exam where only combat based quirks would really shine.

This is literally the point of Shinsho's subplot: it's a bad test if they're looking for skills and quirks other than those predisposed for combat effectiveness. Yes, there's the rescue points, but they deliberately keep that secret from the applicants so they don't know non-combat roles are possible for that test, and also they still require bailing out your fellow applicants out of being smacked around by the aggressive bots somehow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, you’re clearly suppose to focus on the combat points and then get some rescue points to shore up your score. Deku’s the only lad mad enough to pass with only rescue points.

You could argue that making the rescue points a hidden objective lets you weed out the ones that would only try and score them because they know they get graded for it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm still not clear on how secret the exam actually was. I want to say that Present Mic loudly exclaimed that the robots in the Sports Festival were the same as the exam. Which would make Deku's plan to apply to UA without ever exercising not just moronic, but actually suicidal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It is weird no one ever told Midoriya to lift some weights or something.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's strongly implied Midoriya's mother was hoping he'd just grow out of his hero obsession and pursue a quieter career track when push came to shove.

Which did almost happen until lol deus ex All Might.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Lifting weights would never overcome the actual problem though: no quirk, no hero

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

This is literally the point of Shinsho's subplot: it's a bad test if they're looking for skills and quirks other than those predisposed for combat effectiveness. Yes, there's the rescue points, but they deliberately keep that secret from the applicants so they don't know non-combat roles are possible for that test, and also they still require bailing out your fellow applicants out of being smacked around by the aggressive bots somehow.

I'm aware of that.

But the school literally trains it's students to go into separate rescue and combat professions, it makes no sense they would ever devise a system like that in the first place. It's pretty clear Horikoshi didn't think about it until introducing the Shinso subplot, but it's so weird given that the majority of their teachers are people who would fail that test with their quirk

Then they just double down on it with training based around more combat or the school event where they placed students in a 1v1 situation on a flat field which just outright favours certain combat students and doesn't even let the more creative ones show their stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lifting weights would never overcome the actual problem though: no quirk, no hero

He was putting all his hope all a technicality and yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like if nothing else Deku should have realized that an absolutely overwhelming number of heroes are absolutely bog-standard people outside of the specific thing their Quirk can do.

I feel like there have to be a reasonable number of heroes who are basically just Batman but in certain situations they can turn cats into dogs or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The actual reason All Might said that someone without a Quirk couldn't be a hero was because he'd have no marketable gimmick

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Deku knows it isn’t happening and so he doesn’t bother to try he’s just not quite at the point where he can admit that and give it up but he’s almost there when All Might comes along

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like there have to be a reasonable number of heroes who are basically just Batman but in certain situations they can turn cats into dogs or something.

One of the cast of Vigilantes is quirkless but still swings around on a grappling hook and punches dudes to get a good look at their tongue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

One of the cast of Vigilantes is quirkless but still swings around on a grappling hook and punches dudes to get a good look at their tongue

Though wasn’t it established there that he actually had a quirk at one point but it got stolen from him somehow? But yeah, he still manages to fight on fairly even terms with heroes/villains regardless.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just pretend you have a quirk, like the protagonist of Mx0

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Though wasn’t it established there that he actually had a quirk at one point but it got stolen from him somehow? But yeah, he still manages to fight on fairly even terms with heroes/villains regardless.

It's just a theory: The doctor he went to as a child said he didn't have one, and that doctor was one of All for One's minions.

Buuuuut, he was at the doctor to find out why his quirk hadn't developed yet, and we see at least one other kid who was turned into a nomu by that doctor--and in that case, the doc didn't bother making it look like Fatty Batwings never had a quirk.

In any case, the fact his childhood doctor was a gruesomely evil man who did experiments on children is an odd plot point, to be sure.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's been a while since it came up but doesn't Knuckleduster take drugs as well?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Honestly Deku probably could have lied and said he had some kind of analysis quirk since he's so good at breaking down other people's quirks. Still wouldn't help with the exam, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's just a theory: The doctor he went to as a child said he didn't have one, and that doctor was one of All for One's minions.

Buuuuut, he was at the doctor to find out why his quirk hadn't developed yet, and we see at least one other kid who was turned into a nomu by that doctor--and in that case, the doc didn't bother making it look like Fatty Batwings never had a quirk.

In any case, the fact his childhood doctor was a gruesomely evil man who did experiments on children is an odd plot point, to be sure.

I forget, was that the same doctor that Deku and his mom went to see when he was a kid as well?