Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Honestly Deku probably could have lied and said he had some kind of analysis quirk since he's so good at breaking down other people's quirks. Still wouldn't help with the exam, admittedly.

He's good, but not superhumanly good. It's important that he's not even in the top five for the smartest people in his grade. Momo, Mineta, Monoma, Kendo, and Bakugo are all listed as smarter than him on the stat sheets.

And yeah, Knuckleduster was drugged to the gills pretty much all the time, to the point where his dealer was telling him he was going to have to cut him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

chiasaur11 posted:

He's good, but not superhumanly good. It's important that he's not even in the top five for the smartest people in his grade. Momo, Mineta, Monoma, Kendo, and Bakugo are all listed as smarter than him on the stat sheets.

I don't think a Quirk Analysis quirk would help anybody with math or english class, but yes I see your point that Deku is only somewhat above average in the brains department.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Eej posted:

Just pretend you have a quirk, like the protagonist of Mx0

Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time...

Man I’m still salty that was cancelled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't think a Quirk Analysis quirk would help anybody with math or english class, but yes I see your point that Deku is only somewhat above average in the brains department.

Well, somewhat above average by the standards of one of the most elite schools in Japan.

He's basically somewhere around Arthur P. Dietrich. Quite smart, and in most company he looks like a genius, but just "the smartest guy I know" rather than a genius without peer.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Larryb posted:

I forget, was that the same doctor that Deku and his mom went to see when he was a kid as well?

Exactly, that guy.

There's no reason to believe that Doctor EvilBad stole Deku's quirk, except for the narrative structural question, "Why was he Deku's childhood doctor?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Exactly, that guy.

There's no reason to believe that Doctor EvilBad stole Deku's quirk, except for the narrative structural question, "Why was he Deku's childhood doctor?"

Ah ok, I was actually talking about Knuckleduster in my previous statement then.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
You do realize, in country where quirk use is heavily regulated by the bureaucracy, once the diagnosis was made Deku probably had "quirkless" in the Quirk field of all his official records, right? Can't exactly lie once it's in the system, All Might had to pull strings to get his records on the matter changed without raising too many eyebrows in the lead up to the Entrance Exam.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

You do realize, in country where quirk use is heavily regulated by the bureaucracy, once the diagnosis was made Deku probably had "quirkless" in the Quirk field of all his official records, right? Can't exactly lie once it's in the system, All Might had to pull strings to get his records on the matter changed without raising too many eyebrows in the lead up to the Entrance Exam.

All Might didn't have to pull strings for that. He said that you're allowed to update it no questions asked when it's similar enough. Updating from "is normal" to "is strong" seems trivial and believable.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, until Black Whip started happening and then the other Quirks began manifesting Izuku has a really easy explanation for why he initially appeared Quirkless. His body wasn’t able to access it without severe physical training that he never performed until getting ready for U A.

The toe bone thing is more a confirmation than a guarantee of quirkless.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, if he actually just had the "stockpile power over time" quirk, it would be exactly the kind of quirk that wouldn't show up in kindergarten. But then by the time he hits high school, it's clear that he's in the top percentile in all physical assessments amongst non-heteromorphic quirks.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah it's not hard to believe at all that the Quirk Registry office in charge of this kind of stuff is prepared to update people's records based on new information. "I thought I was quirkless but actually it turns out I have the ability to talk to and control arachnids. Unfortunately, I'm arachnophobic so this never came up when I was a kid."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mystic Mongol posted:

Exactly, that guy.

Wasn't it made expressly clear that some of Bakugo's old childhood friends were turned into a nomu? That's probably why.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't it made expressly clear that some of Bakugo's old childhood friends were turned into a nomu? That's probably why.

The one with wings was part of the Nomu that Stain kills at the end of his arc, yes. But it could just be a coincidence.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Just the kid with bat wings I think, Tsubasa. Whose name is coincidentally the same as the doctor's - Dr. Tsubasa. Could just be a coincidence or it could be a reason the evil doctor had such easy access to the poor kid.

Edit - Horikoshi's been about as explicit as he can be in regards to the kid being Nomu'd. There was an extra's page in Volume 7 that says "Why did the winged Nomu grab Midoriya? Here's a hint" and then there's a drawing of the chunky bat wings kid. I don't think you can get much more obvious.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 4, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm still not convinced that Dr. Tsubasa is Dr. Garaki. Why would Garaki take the time to personally have clinic hours to steal quirks from kids? He runs entire hospitals. He has access to hundreds of patient records.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time...

Man I’m still salty that was cancelled.

The original pitch of Midoriya being a Quirkless guy who had to keep up with a Quirk society was probably canned in part because of this, imo

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Eej posted:

The original pitch of Midoriya being a Quirkless guy who had to keep up with a Quirk society was probably canned in part because of this, imo

so we're agreed this is gonna end like fma and deku will give up ofa somehow and the last frame is him starting his quirkless pro hero career, right

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

oh jay posted:

I'm still not convinced that Dr. Tsubasa is Dr. Garaki. Why would Garaki take the time to personally have clinic hours to steal quirks from kids? He runs entire hospitals. He has access to hundreds of patient records.

Because new quirks develop in children, being a doctor for children allows you to get first sample, especially when you're hunting for NEW quirks.

After all, you wont find Super Regeneration in a patients record more than likely, but you will find it in a kid.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Onmi posted:

Because new quirks develop in children, being a doctor for children allows you to get first sample, especially when you're hunting for NEW quirks.

After all, you wont find Super Regeneration in a patients record more than likely, but you will find it in a kid.

Kids = patients in this case. He runs orphanages across the country. There is no way that doing clinic hours under a fake name would be more important that either keeping up appearances in his actual cover identity, or being helping run AfO's secret empire from the shadows.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe he just enjoys it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Maybe he just enjoys it

I could see that.

I just think that making up a third name, that just happens to be the name of the kid who is probably the Winged Nomu, is some kind of bizarre extra step that creates as many problems as it solves.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

oh jay posted:

I could see that.

I just think that making up a third name, that just happens to be the name of the kid who is probably the Winged Nomu, is some kind of bizarre extra step that creates as many problems as it solves.

I'm pretty sure the implication is that the kid with wings is directly related to the doctor.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is that the kid with wings is directly related to the doctor.

No, I get that. For like 5 years, it wasn't even a theory. It basically all but confirmed by the Wing Kid and Deku's doctor having the same name Tsubasa. And we all came to the "obvious" conclusion that Tsubasa was a cover story for "The Doctor" who was actually just stealing quirks for AFO.

But then in the past year we learned that "The Doctor"'s cover story is actually that he is a completely different doctor Garaki with a different name who runs orphanages, while probably just stealing quirks for AFO, like in the first theory.

But in my opinion that puts the conclusions from the first theory in question. If his name is really Garaki, then the name Tsubasa isn't a clue anymore, just a coincidence. If he really is pretending to be two different doctors both practicing pediatrics, his less famous identity Tsubasa, probably gets a lot of comments on how he looks just like the famous Garaki, ala Clark Kent and Superman.

It feels too messy to me at this point, and I'd rather just chalk it up to being a dropped plot/red herring at this point, because I can't no-prize my way into how this makes any sense even in a comic book way.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

oh jay posted:

He was doing a personal favor by examining his bosses kid, duh.

Deku getting his quirk stolen doesn't really make sense anymore though imo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

He was doing a personal favor by examining his bosses kid, duh.

And then, since Deku was in the office anyway, he decided to check on this random stranger to get a chance to crush a child's dreams.

It's the personal touch that makes supervillainy worthwhile, you know?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, I was actually talking about Knuckleduster in my previous statement then.

Yeah, Knuckleduster was originally O'Clock, a hero with super speed (as shown in the flashback of him working as a hero). At some point his Quirk was stolen by All For One and given to Nomura, who was already an insane fanboy of his and has only gotten even worse since then as O'Clock II/Two O'Clock.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eyy, searching twitter it looks like someone finally took some lovely pictures of the MHA art exhibition pamphlet. Hopefully someone gets some good scans of it since we're not seeing the art any other way.
https://twitter.com/LewdsnReviews/status/1389583839085879300?s=20
(it's a thread, first post should be above it but I used this one instead in case it's technically NSFW?)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Eyy, searching twitter it looks like someone finally took some lovely pictures of the MHA art exhibition pamphlet. Hopefully someone gets some good scans of it since we're not seeing the art any other way.
https://twitter.com/LewdsnReviews/status/1389583839085879300?s=20
(it's a thread, first post should be above it but I used this one instead in case it's technically NSFW?)

That Aoyama one is bizarrely dark and foreboding.

If the traitor plotline is ever going to actually come back around my money is still on him and that chapter he got was a double-fakeout. Or it'll turn out that he was planned for it before Horikoshi dropped it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If it didn't just get dropped outright (which I'm guessing is the case), it could be something really stupid like Aoyama's belt had a camera/listening device/GPS in it. He said he has to wear it at all times, so he could be the "traitor" without ever knowing. The thing is that the belt gets smashed once or twice over the course of the series- so ehhh. Easier just to think it got dropped.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IF there is a traitor, my guess is that it's Deku.

We know it has to be somebody in 1-A and at this point we seemingly know all of them pretty well and there hasn't been any foreshadowing for any of them save Aoyama but that was seemingly a fakeout. So if any of them were suddenly revealed as the traitor at this point it would feel less like a reveal and more like an asspull imo.

So, even though it still has some flaws, I'm sticking with "All for One could sense Deku's location and that's how he knew to attack the USJ and forest training camp". The school break-in was a red herring because he does want them to know and be thinking about a mole and the reason he seemingly didn't notice that Deku was there during the Bakugo rescue was because he didn't actually care because that night was all about settling things with All Might.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

IF there is a traitor, my guess is that it's Deku.

We know it has to be somebody in 1-A and at this point we seemingly know all of them pretty well and there hasn't been any foreshadowing for any of them save Aoyama but that was seemingly a fakeout. So if any of them were suddenly revealed as the traitor at this point it would feel less like a reveal and more like an asspull imo.

So, even though it still has some flaws, I'm sticking with "All for One could sense Deku's location and that's how he knew to attack the USJ and forest training camp". The school break-in was a red herring because he does want them to know and be thinking about a mole and the reason he seemingly didn't notice that Deku was there during the Bakugo rescue was because he didn't actually care because that night was all about settling things with All Might.

Muscular and the villains were told to kill Deku if he saw him. Why would AFO sanction that if we now know he has a pathological obsession with stealing OFAand thought Deku had it?

Then again Shigaraki's plan at USJ was to kill All Might. I guess AFO didn't have any confidence he would succeed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO only figures out that Midoriya has OFA when he fights All Might and confirms that he no longer has it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

oh jay posted:

Then again Shigaraki's plan at USJ was to kill All Might. I guess AFO didn't have any confidence he would succeed.

I mean, his plan was to go in there with a single Nomu and a bunch of absolute nobodies. I'm pretty sure AfO heard that, started laughing uproariously in his head, and went "Yeah, go get em tiger, see how that works out for you".

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

AFO probably figured that at best, Shigaraki would kill a bunch of kids and All Might would get really upset, plus testing the Nomu against him to gauge how powerful he was still was (or wasn't). More of a scouting mission really, not that he told Shigaraki that. Still a good reason to do it though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

If it didn't just get dropped outright (which I'm guessing is the case), it could be something really stupid like Aoyama's belt had a camera/listening device/GPS in it. He said he has to wear it at all times, so he could be the "traitor" without ever knowing. The thing is that the belt gets smashed once or twice over the course of the series- so ehhh. Easier just to think it got dropped.

I still think it would be Aoyama for a couple of reasons. He's introduced very early alongside Iida and Uraraka as if he's an important character but seemingly isn't. The chapter focusing on him seemed like it was a fakeout but then after it was revealed that his 'real' interest in Deku was harmless there was that close, dramatic shot of him as if to indicate he was hiding something (or shat himself tbf). And also he says that like Deku his body isn't suited for his quirk. He says it's hereditary but that doesn't track to me since your body is supposed to be built to handle your quirk unless you're a walking contradiction like Touya. Quirks are supposed to improve over generations so a hereditary quirk malfunction shouldn't exist. So to me that suggests 'AfO gave me a quirk and the belt to control it in exchange for spying on UA.'

But yes it's almost certainly been dropped.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 5, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

I mean, his plan was to go in there with a single Nomu and a bunch of absolute nobodies. I'm pretty sure AfO heard that, started laughing uproariously in his head, and went "Yeah, go get em tiger, see how that works out for you".

I mean that's still a win for him because he gets to taunt All Might about it later with the reveal about who Shigaraki is.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
As Shiggy was still a work very much in progress at the time maybe AFO just wanted him to experience in person just how bullshit fighting All Might is while trusting Black Mist to handle things when they inevitably wiped.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caidin posted:

As Shiggy was still a work very much in progress at the time maybe AFO just wanted him to experience in person just how bullshit fighting All Might is while trusting Black Mist to handle things when they inevitably wiped.

Yeah pretty much. AfO wasn't loving around when he said "yeah you can fail as many times as you need to".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Even if he's not The Traitor (TM) it is weird that Aoyama got 2( or was it 3?) chapters basically all to himself (& deku but that's a given). He's kind of a random character to do that with; usually if the other "lesser" classmates get focus its shared with others. Like how we got a look at Sugar guy when everyone was checking out the dorms and such, or how all of Ojirou's scenes are in the middle of group brawls or how the most important stuff we saw of Koda was when he was paired with the more-important Jirou.

I guess it could just be picking a name out of a hat for a couple "light" chapters between arcs but, still odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The thing that makes that hard is that we get narrator Deku saying "yeah and we were buds after that." It could still be something like a bugged belt but that's lame as it involves no actual knowing betrayal.