Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

*57 Years

LOL I was going to type "guest host" and then I forgot and I looked at it and was like "can you be hosed fixing it" and then I went "nah, it's fine, no one will be that pedantic".

But I mean, yeah, you're 100% right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Mike Richards was on a Wall Street Journal podcast on Friday and confirmed that these are in fact auditions and that the current intention is to select the new permanent host from among the guest hosts.

I know there was speculation earlier that these were just stunt casting gimmicks to finish out the season but this would seem to contradict that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Why the gently caress was the Ansel Adams question today (the first Daily Double in Double Jeopardy) labeled a Video Daily Double? It was a still photograph.

Bill Whitaker did extremely well, by the way.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I didn't know who is but he reminds me of Alex.

* Looking at Wikipedia he's known for 60 Minutes/CBS News which I haven't watched in forever.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Timby posted:

Why the gently caress was the Ansel Adams question today (the first Daily Double in Double Jeopardy) labeled a Video Daily Double? It was a still photograph.

Doesnt it just mean any time you have to look at a screen for part of the clue?

New guy was ok..kinda sleepy sounding but i guess that fits for the average 60 Min viewer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like Eliza's shirt of constellations

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Unless I missed something obvious, "simulator" should have been accepted for that tank clue.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah that was a weird one, she absolutely should have gotten ruled correct for that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Bill Whitaker reminds me of a Bill Whitaker-shaped robot built for hosting, sort of like Bernard in Westworld. So natural that it feels like he's on autopilot for the entire time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

puppets freak me out posted:

Yeah that was a weird one, she absolutely should have gotten ruled correct for that.

I'm wondering if there has been a strange pandemic-related shakeup with the writing and judging staff or something, because there have been some absolutely boneheaded things this season--not just with the guest hosts, there was some weird poo poo going on when Trebek was still with us--that have boggled my mind.

Edit:

Darth Brooks posted:

I didn't know who is but he reminds me of Alex.

* Looking at Wikipedia he's known for 60 Minutes/CBS News which I haven't watched in forever.

Whitaker had a few issues in today's episode, most notably the timing between the contestants' answers and his responses (which is strange, that's something that can be very easily fixed in editing), but he felt the most polished of everyone who has taken the podium so far.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 4, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The clue writing has been rough lately too, yeah.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The guy who had to give the four classical elements should have said them in the order from Avatar The Last Airbender :colbert:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Timby posted:

Not only that, but it was extremely easy. If the clue is a black and white photograph, it’s always going to be “who is Ansel Adams?”

mlnhd fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 4, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There were a lot more clues than usual in that game that made me go "oof". The writers room really is struggling with the pandemic and this was a night when it was noticeable.

But yeah, still shots being "video" daily doubles has been a thing since like at least the early 2000s

I liked Bill Whittaker as host. I thought he did an excellent job.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mlnhd posted:

Not only that, but it was extremely easy. If the clue is a black and white photograph, it’s always going to be “who is Ansel Adams?”

Yeah, it’s literally the only photographer most people can name, the only other one being maybe Annie Liebowitz.

Thought Bill did a good job though!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Unless I missed something obvious, "simulator" should have been accepted for that tank clue.
I feel like there had to be a judge who was being super pedantic about formal training simulators for professional development or driving and video games.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i would have absolutely answered FJ with "Who is Gowest Youngman" and not been able to control my cackling

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Whitaker I thought was ok. He did seem to be stiff to me although given he isn't a emcee is completely understandable.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Lmao that Margaret thatcher clue

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bill does a great job but has such a matter-of-fact cadence (like Katie Couric) it can put me to sleep.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hed posted:

Bill does a great job but has such a matter-of-fact cadence (like Katie Couric) it can put me to sleep.

yea he's not BAD or anything but his tone and all sounds almost like he's the host of a Jeopardy video game or something, like all his lines are prerecorded he's hitting a button to play. He seems like a nice guy and all but yea it's kinda weird to listen to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I agree. Anderson CooperI had the same kind of feeling to me; it's like he's invisible and not really part of the game at all. I do think his rhythm is better than Anderson's was, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is third chair wearing a Q necklace?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

So far Aaron Rodgers has been my favorite.

I would not have put my money on that outcome.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How often have there been games with 3 female contestants? Yesterday's was the first I could remember, or maybe it was the only time I've noticed!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Khizan posted:

So far Aaron Rodgers has been my favorite.

I would not have put my money on that outcome.

I feel the same. He and Ken are probably the only ones so far treating this as a actual audition for the job. The other hosts seem to be on autopilot outside of Mike who has his hands full already.

I think Ken should still be involved in the show some way but to me he doesn't pull off the gravitas needed for hosting. Aaron didn't either at first but he learned quickly and given his shenanigans with the Packers at the moment, might need that skill set sooner than expected.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

frogbs posted:

Yeah, it’s literally the only photographer most people can name, the only other one being maybe Annie Liebowitz.
To be fair those Mapplethorpe photographs are pretty instantly recognizable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm still team "want Aaron to have the job but think Ken will get it".

Albino Squirrel posted:

To be fair those Mapplethorpe photographs are pretty instantly recognizable.

Somehow I doubt Jeopardy is going to put them on the air...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If this really isnt any type of real audition for the spot id rather they had former contestants do the guest host jobs.

Im sure they have their own lives/jobs but man id much rather have seen Tom Nissley, Alex Jacob, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson, ect than any of these tv news clowns. Wouldn't even care about who can do the best Alex impersonation Id just like to see them again. Even an Arthur loving Chu dumpster fire week would be more entertaining than "Dr" Oz

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
taking kind of a "burn it all down lmao" view, i'd love to see arthur chu host

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Welp on that Final Jeopardy wager

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I understand when the wager being bad when it's confusing, I wouldn't do very well on that either, but when the correct wager is very obvious, I'm just baffled. Play to win! It's not a game among friends, it's a drat game show, haha.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why was that early question designed to poo poo on black people? The Rastafarianism one.

The writing has been really loving awful for a while now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
“Oh I’ve offended you?”

The writers are all 80.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You spend your whole life thinking you'd want play for real then games like today's remind me that I would've bet huge on the FJ category, then spend all 30 seconds fixated on "colour" and immediately jumped off a bridge once I saw the answer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Zesty posted:

Why was that early question designed to poo poo on black people? The Rastafarianism one.

The writing has been really loving awful for a while now.

I'm genuinely confused at this comment. Here's the clue:

In deference to Leviticus 21:5, many adherents of this religion sport dreadlocks

What is Rastafarianism?

I am having trouble seeing the racism here but I'm open to being told what I'm missing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

You spend your whole life thinking you'd want play for real then games like today's remind me that I would've bet huge on the FJ category, then spend all 30 seconds fixated on "colour" and immediately jumped off a bridge once I saw the answer.

“I know, it’ll be Sgt Pepper because I think they spell it differently in America”

Got any room on that bridge?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was so fixated on classic rock albums that Rumours didn't cross my mind. Also I never realized it was spelled that way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
“How do you spell Aja in the king’s English?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahahahah losing because you're in first and didn't bet right. Incredible.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 6, 2021