Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The remaster of SW Racer isn't on pc, is it?

If I pick up one of the space sims, should I go with Alliance?

Empire at War probably worth picking up, but I don't tend to play RTS much anymore.

And Battlegrounds just for the nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Empire at War probably worth picking up, but I don't tend to play RTS much anymore.

Is Squadrons on sale? It’s really good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah but I'm not actually in a game-playing mood, just picking up cheap stuff for the future. I doubt I'd play much of Squadrons before the next, maybe deeper sale.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So you chose to run away from paying rent and damages and was annoyed when the obvious failure consequence took place?

People don’t agree that Ace Attorney is a VN. Traditionalists would reserve that for titles like House in Fata Morgana. Even some of the most beloved titles in the genre technically are not - the When They Cry series (Higurashi, Umineko, Ciconia) as they lack choices and are called Kinetic Novels. I think one of them actually has exactly one choice though. I’ve also heard them called Sound Novels?

Point is genre is ill defined at the best of times. Disco Elysium is a CRPG Point and Click Visual Novel Doom Clone Third Person Shooter Walking Simulator Psychological Horror Turn Based Strategy Singleplayer MOBA Roguelike.

The version of Umineko on steam is a visual novel because it doesn't have voice acting (unless you get a mod that adds it in (which you should, the VA is great)).

Literally the only reason to say that Disco Elysium isn't a CRPG is that it doesn't have a combat system. It has an in-depth stat system, inventory management, equipment, an isometric viewpoint, heck it literally has dice roll mechanics! Unless your definition of the genre is "you can kill skeletons in it", then DE fits the bill.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Empire at War is kind of a weird game that I wouldn't call an RTS but I wouldn't call it a 4X or grand strategy either. Also the ground combat suuuuuuucks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it is, but it's not much of a remaster. Bought it when it came out tho and it's still a lot of fun. On sale too https://store.steampowered.com/app/808910/STAR_WARS_Episode_I_Racer/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Empire at War is kind of a weird game that I wouldn't call an RTS but I wouldn't call it a 4X or grand strategy either. Also the ground combat suuuuuuucks.

It’s so weird because the space combat is so fun and the ground combat is loving dreadful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s so weird because the space combat is so fun and the ground combat is loving dreadful.
There's actually one mod that does the impossible and makes ground combat kinda engaging by borrowing some concepts from CoH/DoW. Awakening of the Rebellion, it's called.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

There's actually one mod that does the impossible and makes ground combat kinda engaging by borrowing some concepts from CoH/DoW. Awakening of the Rebellion, it's called.

Oh man, I’ll download that ASAP. I really like that game but playing it properly is hard because I’ll make bad strategic decisions strictly to avoid ground battles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh man, I’ll download that ASAP. I really like that game but playing it properly is hard because I’ll make bad strategic decisions strictly to avoid ground battles.

This video goes into it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMMwFYjSNw

They're also reworking some aspects of fleet combat though I don't know to what extent.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Begemot posted:

The version of Umineko on steam is a visual novel because it doesn't have voice acting (unless you get a mod that adds it in (which you should, the VA is great)).

Literally the only reason to say that Disco Elysium isn't a CRPG is that it doesn't have a combat system. It has an in-depth stat system, inventory management, equipment, an isometric viewpoint, heck it literally has dice roll mechanics! Unless your definition of the genre is "you can kill skeletons in it", then DE fits the bill.

Kinetic Novels are distinguished by their lack of choices, and I think the Sound Novel distinction was due to the soundtrack, not the voice acting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just got the ability to build the trike in Death Stranding and roads are popping up around me and god damnit this game is so good. Quickly driving the bike over a bridge where I can see the ladders I once used to trudge across the river is so satisfying.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Since the series came up recently, I started Kiwami 2 and oh man the wacky physics. After Kiwami it's good to be back to throwing idiots off of Sotenbori bridges again.

https://i.imgur.com/ZzvdHyT.mp4

It's fine he's okay, 100% Kiryu survival guarantee.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kanfy posted:

Since the series came up recently, I started Kiwami 2 and oh man the wacky physics. After Kiwami it's good to be back to throwing idiots off of Sotenbori bridges again.

https://i.imgur.com/3ruTtMG.mp4

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can see a parachute. He's ok!

Kanfy posted:

I can see... his scuba gear? He's probably fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Xander77 posted:

I can see... his scuba gear? He's probably fine.

Imgur's aggressive compression might make it hard to notice but uh, he didn't quite make it to the water.

But yeah, 20 years later but the city's looking better than ever, wish I could age as gracefully.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 3, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Bah, I've mostly enjoyed doing boss runs in Dark Souls, like trying to optimize the route as best I can, but the run back to Four Kings feels egregiously long. Both routes, either from Firelink Shrine or through the Valley of Drakes, are an absolute drag. Am I missing a closer bonfire somewhere? Or a shortcut on the way? Two elevators, six ghosts, at least five of those black knights. Come on. And some enemies are placed in tight corridors so you can't even run past them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

iirc theres a good shortcut in there. in one of the water sections with narrow raised pathways?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Glare Seethe posted:

Bah, I've mostly enjoyed doing boss runs in Dark Souls, like trying to optimize the route as best I can, but the run back to Four Kings feels egregiously long. Both routes, either from Firelink Shrine or through the Valley of Drakes, are an absolute drag. Am I missing a closer bonfire somewhere? Or a shortcut on the way? Two elevators, six ghosts, at least five of those black knights. Come on. And some enemies are placed in tight corridors so you can't even run past them.

No closer bonfires, no. The safer path is definitely down from Firelink--after you drain the water you can drop down from close to where the Firekeeper Soul was... I seem to remember there being some barrels nearby, like right before you start going up the stairs after the wooden bridge where you see your first ghosts? I am pretty sure there is a way to get by without fighting any Darkwraiths. But yeah, it's a long way. Advice for the 4K: be aggressive. The general strategies are to be tanky and aggressive or roll around a lot and be aggressive, but most importantly you need to be hitting fast and hard, right up in their faces.

edit: oh, and a weird mechanical thing about the fight that I'll put in spoilers: The Four Kings share a health pool, which can do some weird things in the fight, but the most important is that you can continue to whack the first couple while they're in their death animation and take off a few more HP, which can really help you not get into a situation at the end of the fight where you have to fight two of them.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 3, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah there’s a spot where you can drop down to the flooded area. Like you said, cross the wooden bridge and then go right at the base of the stairs up.

I usually dash past the wraiths but I always stop to riposte a knight or two down there, they can drop some good stuff.

4 kings is a really frantic fight and it rewards the player that discards all caution.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thanks, I'll check for that spot to drop down. I definitely got the impression that this fight is kind of a damage race, i.e. how fast can you kill one before another shows up, but the hitboxes on these guys seem really weird. I'm hitting air like 90% of the time, feels like. I guess you have to be super close, or maybe the background is messing with my perception somehow.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah the arena makes distances seem weird. you can drop something on the ground immediately when you drop down to have a frame of reference for where you are

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah depth perception gets all screwy without a frame of reference. They are BIG. When in doubt, get all up in their crotch/butt. This works on like half the bosses in the game :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

This video goes into it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMMwFYjSNw

They're also reworking some aspects of fleet combat though I don't know to what extent.

2.9 with the space rework is supposed to come out soon. From the previews they've completely changed the whole thing for the better, similar to the ground combat overhaul.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

When in doubt, get all up in their crotch/butt. This works on like half the bosses in the game :v:

I did exactly that to Seath earlier today!

Found the drop, it skips one elevator, four ghosts (or all of them if I just run past the first two I guess) and 2-3 of the darkwraiths, maybe? Definitely an improvement.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

I usually dash past the wraiths but I always stop to riposte a knight or two down there, they can drop some good stuff.

Yeah, even after you're done with 4K you might be back down there to grind out more Titanite Chunks, the dudes just have them falling out of their pockets.

Here's a video of the optimal run: looks like two Darkwraiths to avoid and no ghosts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Imgur's aggressive compression might make it hard to notice but uh, he didn't quite make it to the water.

But yeah, 20 years later but the city's looking better than ever, wish I could age as gracefully.

If Yak0 and K1 weren't so essential the story making sense and having emotional impact in K2 (also Yak0 is clearly top 2 best Yakuza game ever) I'd just tell people to play Yak2 because it's just that much better.

But you don't start an epic book series with the 3 novel, otherwise you get a ton of people bitching and moaning about child characters they don't care about and no idea why the Millennium Tower is such a big deal for a random office building.

It's why I'm playing Shenmue 1, then 2, then buying and playing 3 as soon as it's 50% off. Childhood me who played Shenmue 1 in 2000 would've killed to have been able to continue the series to its end, and I need to put a check mark on that unresolved part of my life.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gonna be a real disappointing check mark, but I get it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Gonna be a real disappointing check mark, but I get it.

I wouldn't even describe it as a check mark.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ll bite. What’s bad about the third game?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

buglord posted:

Nothing for those who just wanted more Shenmue. They got that. It's more of the same, being slightly less clunky than the originals. Story-wise though? Not much happens, so for those who were hoping for a resolution, keep looking chief.

Here's hoping Shenmue 4 will be a longer, more focused affair.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

buglord posted:

It’s basically the same as the first and second game.

You know how revivals usually sell themselves as “being faithful to the original” but it’s actually updated and also probably for the better, at least in theory? Not Shenmue!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It also, as mentioned, doesn't actually finish the story. It doesn't even really begin at starting to finish the story.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kchama posted:

It also, as mentioned, doesn't actually finish the story. It doesn't even really begin at starting to finish the story.

But it pads itself out with a lot of grind based locks so you can't blow through the nearly-nil story beats in under 30 hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the story of Shenmue ended with Ryu lost in Hong Kong after I couldn't figure out the next step and stopped playing because I still hadn't collected all the capsule toys from Shenmue 1 and uploaded them to my internet profile yet.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

But it pads itself out with a lot of grind based locks so you can't blow through the nearly-nil story beats in under 30 hours.

Hope you like learning the exact same martial arts move like three times in order to progress!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Epic vs. Apple trial began today, giving the public a rare glance into some of the the dealings and internal metrics of some big players in the industry.

Here's a Sony policy about requiring publishers to pay them a cut if too many people are playing cross-play games through PSN but spending their money in the game on another platform. Tim Sweeney later said that only Sony expected this of them. Also here are two emails of Sony and Epic execs having a pissing contest.

This is a breakdown of EGS customer conversion rates/ARPUs through mid-2019, and here's some information on how much they paid to secure some of their weekly free games, how many people redeemed them, UA costs etc.

Here's a (too small) screenshot claiming that Dead Island 2, if it ever actually releases, and Saint's Row 5, which to my knowledge hasn't been announced, will be EGS timed-exclusives. Dying Light 2, surprisingly, isn't, at least at whatever time this was effective as of.

Lots more here for people who are interested in this stuff.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 4, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Anno posted:

Also here are two emails of Sony and Epic execs having a pissing contest.

The Sony one was a little passive-aggressive but holy poo poo the tone on that Epic one is insane. If I got an e-mail like that I'd have to stand up and take a walk for a few minutes just to clear my head at the sheer audacity of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I figure Shenmue 3 will the same problem as a lot of these 90s and early 00s dyanmo game director projects. Mighty No 9, Balan Wonderworld, Star Citizen, DF-9, I'm sure there's at least a half dozen others. Creators who are famous for something they made in a wildly different era getting a chance for a flashy new modern game are shooting their shot and just absolutely loving it up.

The Kickstarter stuff especially, as they raise a insane amount of money relative to crowd sourcing standards but still a tiny drop in the bucket for modern game development and they kind of stubbornly cling to a lot of outdated and obsolete ideas and ignore any advice.

Jerusalem posted:

The Sony one was a little passive-aggressive but holy poo poo the tone on that Epic one is insane. If I got an e-mail like that I'd have to stand up and take a walk for a few minutes just to clear my head at the sheer audacity of it.

Holy gently caress you were not kidding do not sleep on that Epic email back to Sony. It reads like a dude dictated it to an intern while doing a keg stand. That's the most unprofessional email I've ever seen that wasn't wall to wall profanity and threats.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 4, 2021