Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has anyone determined what the Rocket Ship item does? The description just says "Seems to be beneficial to your dash" and google has turned up nada.

Hey people developing roguelikes: Don't be cute with your item descriptions. I want to know what my build is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

My path to the first boss keeps putting me into rooms where you are locked in until you clear the room of enemies. It would be so much better if that just stopped happening so I can run for the bosses once I get a good weapon. :P

Those lock in rooms usually come with the big blade gorilla or the bigger meaner wolf that's sometimes shielded. You can tell when you see the big red orbs when you enter the room. They turn into the monster after 10-15 seconds. Use the heads up time to try and blitz down as much of the trash as you can. Once the tougher monster spawns, rush it and chop it up with your blade. The first hit stuns them long enough to get a bunch of followup melee attacks in. If you get distracted by another enemy and they recover, tag em with your weapons alt fire. Melee stunlocking also works amazingly well on the tree people too.

The trick to the Gorilla (and the mutalisk looking bats) is to dodge when they turn fully orange but haven't quite started to lunge yet. If you're too early they catch you on the back end of the dodge, if you're trying to wait for them to start the actual lunge you're too late and you're probably going to get hit because it just comes out too fast.

If you get the purple orb on a lock in, it means you've got an elite and your weeabo katana fight magic doesn't work to stun them, you gotta get good for those guys.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wall penetrating dot gun is a hell of a thing

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone determined what the Rocket Ship item does? The description just says "Seems to be beneficial to your dash" and google has turned up nada.

Hey people developing roguelikes: Don't be cute with your item descriptions. I want to know what my build is.

My partner just got this item and he said it damages enemies that you dash through.

I'm at work and have loads to do but I'm watching videos of the bosses just because they're so fuckin cool.

How long until the first full no damage run?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just fired up the game with the new patch for the first time and it seems to crash like crazy now. Happened twice in 5 minutes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just need the sunface fragment in the last act 2 zone and I seriously cannot find it, driving me batty.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What the fuuuck is going on with the story when you get to biome 4? Did I get rescued and come back 60 years later? No loving way. I think I just dreamed all that.

I’m so loving confused.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One thing that would be nice is if you could start a run with a level 0 of whatever gun you had unlocked up to that point, since in theory they're all balanced against each other anyways. I'm just tired of the pistol and it makes the very start of the run kind of boring.

HampHamp posted:

My partner just got this item and he said it damages enemies that you dash through.

I'm at work and have loads to do but I'm watching videos of the bosses just because they're so fuckin cool.

How long until the first full no damage run?

Thanks, I thought that might be the case but I didn't have much opportunity to test it. Trying to dash through enemies consistently seems...dangerous.

Blind Rasputin posted:

What the fuuuck is going on with the story when you get to biome 4? Did I get rescued and come back 60 years later? No loving way. I think I just dreamed all that.

I’m so loving confused.

You managed to get a solid signal out to Astra but didn't solve the mystery of why you're in the loop in the first place. Die of old age or die of a serrated tentacle to the face, the loop is the loop. He will not let you go.

But the real answer is almost nobody has finished the story yet so your guess as to what it all ACTUALLY means is as good as anyones.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 4, 2021

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just went back to the ship to rest, and when I got back out, the area door won’t open, and I can’t re-enter the ship. This run is over, I guess?

That sucks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just in case anyone was dumb like me and thought you unlocked some ability to open those stone gates: you don't. There are switches nearby you can shoot to open them and get the stuff behind them.

I honestly don't know how I never noticed those things until now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Aaaaah I loving DID IT, first run of the day I got this first boss guy finally, after playing all day Saturday and dying to him 5+ times and then getting tilted and barely even making it to him. I finally get how the combat works, I started prioritizing trying to collect obols after shooting so I could afford the health pack/health increase and by doing that everything else kind of clicked, melee when in melee range, keep dashing, and don't get surrounded. Fairly amusing that the first time I EVER saw the astronaut in the shop I bought it but then didn't even need it for the boss lol.

PantsBandit posted:

Just in case anyone was dumb like me and thought you unlocked some ability to open those stone gates: you don't. There are switches nearby you can shoot to open them and get the stuff behind them.

.... are you fuckin for real

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beginning to wonder if my game is screwed up somehow. there's two weapons that simply will not spawn no matter how many times i loop their respective levels. could just be RNGitis at play but biome 1 in particular is near-totally identical from run to run

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Even though the tutorial makes it explicit, a buddy of mine had the same problem, haha. He texted me late yesterday and said something about his roommate opening those gates and how did he manage to forget!

Casnorf fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 4, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

One thing that would be nice is if you could start a run with a level 0 of whatever gun you had unlocked up to that point, since in theory they're all balanced against each other anyways. I'm just tired of the pistol and it makes the very start of the run kind of boring.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case but I didn't have much opportunity to test it. Trying to dash through enemies consistently seems...dangerous.

You managed to get a solid signal out to Astra but didn't solve the mystery of why you're in the loop in the first place. Die of old age or die of a serrated tentacle to the face, the loop is the loop. He will not let you go.

But the real answer is almost nobody has finished the story yet so your guess as to what it all ACTUALLY means is as good as anyones.

Oh god this actually kind of makes sense. I don’t know if you’re right though. I thought some goons had beaten the game already, but is it true there’s much longer road to the true ending?

What happens if I die in biome 4? Do I totally start all over, or in biome 4?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh god this actually kind of makes sense. I don’t know if you’re right though. I thought some goons had beaten the game already, but is it true there’s much longer road to the true ending?

What happens if I die in biome 4? Do I totally start all over, or in biome 4?

biome 4 is a hard checkpoint. die or turn off your game and you restart there with 15 proficiency

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

On day 2 of ramming my head against the final biome, and this is the first time I've kind of questioned whether or not I'm really having fun with what I'm doing. It's honestly that it takes a while to get there, and the run up to the final boss is similar to Biome 3 - in that it throws a couple of gauntlets of lovely (in this case, extremely tanky and brutal) enemies at you, and dying at that point means losing 30 minutes of progress, at least. On top of that, it doesn't even have the kind of decent shortcuts that Biome 3 did - every time you go to the final Biome, you're basically doing the entire thing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PantsBandit posted:

What do the switches look like?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

What do the switches look like?

convex diamonds with a light in the center. they flash and make a pulsing noise when you're in ADS. most of them aren't too far from the gates

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
2nd run from first through last Biome done, are the sunface fragments in specific places or are they RNG? I am missing two of them, otherwise I found a couple extra ship logs.

nvm I think I figured it out, time for more hunting. It's weird how I struggled in a lot of the game and can now clear things fairly easily, some moments are still stressful. I apparently need just one more

infraboy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 4, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

biome 4 is a hard checkpoint. die or turn off your game and you restart there with 15 proficiency

Lol honestly thank loving god. I was half terrified wondering.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I kinda like the goo gun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The game definitely has some balance issues. The adrenaline lifesteal trait from artifact/parasite is so much better than anything else you can possibly get. I'd take that with a few HP and protection buffs over any other combination of bonuses. It snowballs, too, because being topped off means that all the other health drops become resin.

You just never really get anything that feels exciting, other than weapon drops.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

I kinda like the goo gun.

how many runs did it take for you to get it? i've gone through biome 1 like six or seven times and it's never anywhere to be found

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Oxxidation posted:

how many runs did it take for you to get it? i've gone through biome 1 like six or seven times and it's never anywhere to be found

From my runs you get it after beating boss 2 as you then get access to parts of biome 1 that you previously couldn't reach.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puddin posted:

From my runs you get it after beating boss 2 as you then get access to parts of biome 1 that you previously couldn't reach.

i have all the mobility tools and the drat thing just won't show up. either i'm missing its location somehow or the room in which it exists won't enter my spawn pool

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I definitely didn't come in here talking about my crazy ace run so that people would think I'm the best at games. I really hope it didn't come off that way or make anyone feel bad. There was an enormous amount of luck involved. I'm pretty sure I was on a single pixel of integrity like half a dozen times. I think some other things going for a first run are fewer garbage items and weapons in the pool. A lot of what's available seems kind of garbage but I suspect a lot of that is my RPG hoarder instincts at play.

I had a really good act 2 run wiped overnight in patch-ocalypse. I had a few more deaths afterwards and then got a good run started. Went into the next boss on the list with 2 small heals, 2 big heals, not to mention an astronaut. That's where I really think I started to understand that the boss fights are all about just having a deep health pool because it was a pretty comfortable fight at that point.

On parasites I can also throw in that proficiency penalties aren't really that big of a deal. A weapon with a few bonus pips of damage and good perks is worth more than like, 6+ stars. I definitely love the buff that gives you a shield when you pick up resin. That one makes cleansing resin a much better value.

Anyway game is still good! Looking forward to seeing what other surprises it has in store.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The 3rd boss is really cool but did anyone else find it to be much easier than the first 2 bosses? I didn't even need to use the healing items I had.

EDIT: Also I got the 4th house sequence and all I can say is what the gently caress.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 4, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Are you absolutely loving trolling me? That third boss was harder than all of dark souls 3. I planned way ahead, every drat pickup starting at biome 1 to take that thing on and still barely got through it. The jumping and complete mind seizure of a firefight is one hell of an encounter.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The longer I play the more I come down on the side of the folks not able to rely just on rest mode. Playing these longer, exploratory runs where you really feel out every corner you can get to and strategically pick up items, I can be at a run for two plus hours and with other people in the house who use the PS5, it sucks to risk one of them closing out on time sunk. Maybe the game is meant to be played fast and frantic and runs only going 30-45 minutes, but the fact that it can be played in a slower way and enjoyed that way says a lot about how cool this game world is.

Oxxidation posted:

Got it on my first post-grapple run.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Oxxidation posted:

i have all the mobility tools and the drat thing just won't show up. either i'm missing its location somehow or the room in which it exists won't enter my spawn pool

Ahhh I see. Mine popped in the blue side room that when you go in there's nothing in there but a chasm, but you have to grapple up to the ledge and there was a single chest.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Are Sunface Fragments rare? I've totally cleared the biome 1 map four times and have yet to find one. Also, not that I care about trophies, but I dont think I got a single trophy unlock after beating the 2nd boss.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RatHat posted:

The 3rd boss is really cool but did anyone else find it to be much easier than the first 2 bosses? I didn't even need to use the healing items I had.

EDIT: Also I got the 4th house sequence and all I can say is what the gently caress.

Yeah, I 1-shot him with a killshot weapon, pistol I think? Only kinda tricky thing was dodging through the yellow lasers in phase 2, everything in phase 3 is easily dealt with using grapple iframes.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

bobby2times posted:

Are Sunface Fragments rare? I've totally cleared the biome 1 map four times and have yet to find one. Also, not that I care about trophies, but I dont think I got a single trophy unlock after beating the 2nd boss.

I've seen the credits and still haven't found one, so yeah they must be well hidden

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tgent posted:

I've seen the credits and still haven't found one, so yeah they must be well hidden

You need to get the 5 house events (3 in biome 1, 2 in biome 4) for sunface fragments to start dropping. So if you're like me and one-shot biomes 4-6 (:smug:) you'll have to go back and finish up the house stuff.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
so, (major super spoilers for the end)
she's actually a kid that feels guilty about her mom's spinal injury and has made up a sci-fi world to deal with it? that's disappointing. I do love the "die of old age and wake up on the planet again" fake out though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well I got the secret ending. Honestly was pretty let down by it. If it had ended just on the first credit roll I honestly wouldn't have minded that much but I don't really see what this final cutscene really added. I didn't mind having to run through the biomes again (even if it took me ages to get 2 of the fragments) but having to fight the last boss again (who was a huge pushover, the act 1 last boss was way more tense honestly) for that nothing of a payoff was dumb as hell. Still really enjoyed my time with the game though but I don't think it stuck the landing at all.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, I 1-shot him with a killshot weapon, pistol I think? Only kinda tricky thing was dodging through the yellow lasers in phase 2, everything in phase 3 is easily dealt with using grapple iframes.

Same but with a serrated hollowseeker. It was a gorgeous fight. The bosses in this game are incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know people like recommending rebinding the keys but I find the default to be great and each time I change it I hate it and go back. R1 for melee feels great at first because :darksouls: but tbh it takes way longer to swap from R1 to R2 than to just tap square and feels like it puts shooting out of commission for longer. Also I just want dodge to be on O, also because well :darksouls: it just feels natural. But I guess my brain is also just really conditioned to pre aiming and having the jump and dodge on face buttons doesn't bother me at all.

tldr I feel like the default is perfect but ymmv.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well I got the secret ending. Honestly was pretty let down by it. If it had ended just on the first credit roll I honestly wouldn't have minded that much but I don't really see what this final cutscene really added. I didn't mind having to run through the biomes again (even if it took me ages to get 2 of the fragments) but having to fight the last boss again (who was a huge pushover, the act 1 last boss was way more tense honestly) for that nothing of a payoff was dumb as hell. Still really enjoyed my time with the game though but I don't think it stuck the landing at all.

Without too many spoilers what all do you have to do to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Without too many spoilers what all do you have to do to get it?

After the credits make sure you've seen every house scene and then in every biome there is a pickup that didn't used to be there, get all of them, go to the house one more time and then beat the last boss again. You can get each one on different runs too.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 4, 2021