Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Soysaucebeast posted:

It took me about 2-3 hours of farming after I posted here earlier today. I just put on a podcast and went HAM. Honestly, if I didn't need to complete that quest to get all the weapons I might have given up.

Also, I just finished Loyal Cerberus on route B and gently caress me it still makes me break down sobbing. The first time I played through the original game, I had put down my dog a few months beforehand so I thought my reaction then was just because of that. NOPE. Literally no other quest line in the entire drat game gives me as much of a reaction as that one.

Yeah I just got the first route b version of that quest done and uh god drat. Did not think they would get me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hell is climbing the Lost Shrine for the 7th time and realizing there's at least two more climbs in this playthrough.

Edit: There's even more new stuff on the C/D run??

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 4, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ChaosArgate posted:

Hell is climbing the Lost Shrine for the 7th time and realizing there's at least two more climbs in this playthrough.

Edit: There's even more new stuff on the C/D run??

The worst thing is that there’s an elevator shaft right there, and it never becomes usable.

Same with junk heap. There’s an elevator outside of the dungeon that’s entirely decorative. Like things to make you think there will be shortcuts later. As a joke.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gutcruncher posted:

The worst thing is that there’s an elevator shaft right there, and it never becomes usable.

Same with junk heap. There’s an elevator outside of the dungeon that’s entirely decorative. Like things to make you think there will be shortcuts later. As a joke.
to be fair, it's not entirely unused, that's how you come out!

...of course, the fact that you cannot ride it back down is still incredibly frustrating

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m not missing a “pause cutscene” button am I? PC if it matters

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m not missing a “pause cutscene” button am I? PC if it matters

The only way I have found to pause cutscenes on xbox is to open the guide, so as far as the pc goes you might be able to accomplish this by alt-tabbing the focus away from the game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ending C done. Gonna put off D for tomorrow but once I finish up with that, I think I'll have had enough NieR Classic to last a lifetime.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Ending C done. Gonna put off D for tomorrow but once I finish up with that, I think I'll have had enough NieR Classic to last a lifetime.

Your not going to aim for the new ending E?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Your not going to aim for the new ending E?

I was trying to be coy about it but if its an open secret then yes I do mean after I'm done with E.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Motherfucker I saved over my pre-castle save data. :negative:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just started getting into this. I'm already regretting naming my character Poopola because I have to reread the loading screen things several times.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fartington Butts posted:

Just started getting into this. I'm already regretting naming my character Poopola because I have to reread the loading screen things several times.

Never look back

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Augus posted:

Never look back

That's where the poopola comes from.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol just thought about, where does the piano for song of the ancients - hollow dreams come from?

I love this song so much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jesus christ that runaway son quest, people weren't kidding about how dire these sidequests get

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Hmm some gamplay things I noticed since this is technically the second time through NieR since the PS3 version but I didn't do it on hard last time.

Paralyze on magic blast will probably just, make any medium sized enemies or smaller enemies pointless. Even things like boars just don't handle it. Oh also using the boost words to make it level 9 helps. Weaken on magic blast is neccesary to eliminate the potential for one hit kills for a lot of bigger enemies on hard mode I found. Keep the big ones weak, maybe throw a defense drop off and you're gold if a bit slow. Paralyze magic blast, two handed weapon, hold light attack and most medium enemies will be knocked over and the finisher will kill many of them. It's nice and quick and efficiant. Dark gluttony is really helpful to manage bosses that spam magic but you still need to attack through the orbs they can't pull in.

Like hoenstly on normal 10 years ago originally I just, remember having no strategy for the game. Just loving using nothing but attack and magic blast with more magic damage. The statuses can really help in the right places in hard. It's been nice to never switch to normal and only really have died because I'm doing something I shouldn't too early (dlc at a terribly low level, the big shade in the southern field in part 1).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hot tip for anyone time traveling through Life in the Desert on PC. I was saving and quitting to the menu and then changing my pc clock and loading back in, but its easier if you plant, alt tab to change your clock and then zone in and out of town.

I only just realised that on my last attempt and I got the Lunar Tear to spawn so I didn't save a LOT of time in the grand scheme

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Shoehead posted:

Hot tip for anyone time traveling through Life in the Desert on PC. I was saving and quitting to the menu and then changing my pc clock and loading back in, but its easier if you plant, alt tab to change your clock and then zone in and out of town.

I only just realised that on my last attempt and I got the Lunar Tear to spawn so I didn't save a LOT of time in the grand scheme

I found just running to the save point by your house, saving, then changing the time and reloading to be faster.

Saves you an extra loading screen, plus the run to and from the gate each cycle.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I was just going out to the title screen before changing the time. Not the fastest but still worked.

I got 100% side quests on route A and and just about ready to start route B. Do any of the side quests play out differently in different routes, or if I got the 100% are they all well and done and I can just focus on the main story for the rest of the routes?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ones you've done a sidequest they're done for good, they don't reappear unless you start a new game entirely.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Well, I finished route B. I have all the weapons so I can start C any time I like, but I'm going for the platinum and figured now's a good time to get the trophies for catching all the fish/fully upgrading all the weapons/growing the dang lunar tear. RIP me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished route B, and I just want to confirm before I start going for C, D, and E: there's no reason to do another full run of the game after ending C to get to ending D, is there? No extra scenes or anything like that for starting a new run after ending C? It's safe to just make a save before the final boss, get ending C, reload that save, then get D? Assuming I don't care about getting any more XP or gold or mats or whatever from doing another run. I know your save gets deleted after D but I'm ready for that now I think, I've done everything I want to do with this file.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Having played through Replicant and replayed Automata, I think where Nier excels more is the more enjoyable main cast, while Automata has the more thematically rich and complex story. Though I also think that once you know the backstory, the interactions between 2B and 9S are way more poignant than they are in a first playthrough. Definitely worth replaying.

Also A2 and Pod 042 are a hilarious duo and gave some Weiss/Kaine vibes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ainsley McTree posted:

I finished route B, and I just want to confirm before I start going for C, D, and E: there's no reason to do another full run of the game after ending C to get to ending D, is there? No extra scenes or anything like that for starting a new run after ending C? It's safe to just make a save before the final boss, get ending C, reload that save, then get D? Assuming I don't care about getting any more XP or gold or mats or whatever from doing another run. I know your save gets deleted after D but I'm ready for that now I think, I've done everything I want to do with this file.

Only if you want a nice shiny clear file with ABC on it.

(I did)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boogalo posted:

Only if you want a nice shiny clear file with ABC on it.

(I did)

Does the game delete multiple saves if you copied them at some point? I was thinking of just making a copy before I go through C-E so that I can just come back and do the last grindy bits like gardening/weapon upgrades at my leisure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It'll delete anything with the name you used

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

It'll delete anything with the name you used

Oh gently caress welp. :yokotaro:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it ever explained exactly what the "Gestalt-ization" process entails? That one deathdream and various other information (like historical documents about people responding poorly to it) seems to imply that it's something kinda hosed up, but I don't know if it's ever made explicit. The aforementioned deathdream I think mentions casks full of blood and people being in chairs with spines running through them (and I guess rich people having macabre parties before turning themselves into Gestalts).

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have you set the drop rate boosting words on all your weapons and spells?

I was drowning in machine oil by the time I finished farming weapon upgrade mats in the junk heap. I’d get 2-3 per run through the complex.

How does this work? Do those words stack across all weapons/spells/etc?

If you have a word that buffs "physical strength" or whatever, does that apply to everything or just the ability/weapon it's applied to?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Augus posted:

so...drakengard 1 remake when

https://twitter.com/Shinken_Oh/status/1386554571544272898

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is there any rhyme or reason to getting new words? It just seems to happen randomly while fighting shades

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to getting new words? It just seems to happen randomly while fighting shades

I think it's random but then certain ones are dropped by specific types of shades.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ruffini posted:

I think it's random but then certain ones are dropped by specific types of shades.

Cool thanks. I'm wondering about the item drop rate% ones since I'm trying to get rare poo poo in the junk heap for all these sidequests

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ytlaya posted:

Is it ever explained exactly what the "Gestalt-ization" process entails? That one deathdream and various other information (like historical documents about people responding poorly to it) seems to imply that it's something kinda hosed up, but I don't know if it's ever made explicit. The aforementioned deathdream I think mentions casks full of blood and people being in chairs with spines running through them (and I guess rich people having macabre parties before turning themselves into Gestalts).

Nope. At least, I’ve never seen any information on it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The randomly unlocking tutorials always confuse me. I got a fishing tip after killing a bunch of shades in the desert. :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

The randomly unlocking tutorials always confuse me. I got a fishing tip after killing a bunch of shades in the desert. :shrug:

I didn't learn how to fight armored shades until route B

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think this is the first time naming your char and it having no default name really worked on me. Every time I want to talk about my dude I want to write "Simon" cause I saw it so many times.

I picked that name cause in the weeks leading up I kept trying to think of good sibling relationships in fictional media and the one that I thought best fit our guy in Nier was the blood-brother bond seen in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann :unsmith:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/960449-nier/faqs/61831

There's actually a whole rear end thought over distribution of words across the shades of the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On route C now and my biggest wish is for Kainé to share with me her spooky Watson shortcut for the mine cart section in the Junk Heap just once in her life.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

How does this work? Do those words stack across all weapons/spells/etc?

If you have a word that buffs "physical strength" or whatever, does that apply to everything or just the ability/weapon it's applied to?

No, they only apply to the ones you add them to, and the non-combat effects (exp up, drop rate up etc) only apply if the enemy is killed with that spell or weapon.

Pro tip: set the words on one and then go all the way to the right and highlight the name of the weapon or spell, then if you select that you can use batch assign and it’ll apply those same words to all of your weapons/spells depending on what type you’re editing.

This won’t work if you’ve gone into the “all” menu instead of picking weapons or spells and you need to do it once for both to cover all your bases, but takes a few seconds vs doing it manually for everything taking forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know what drop rates y'all have unlocked but going through the junk Heap again with 20% drop rate unlocked still feels like comical levels of "lmao go gently caress yourself wrt rare drops."