Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Death On Toast posted:

GT 210 Step-Up trip report: got in line for a 3090 on April 27th. I figured the 3080 was so backed up that I needn't bother, as I'd just be switching to the 3080 TI anyway (assuming it actually launches close to the rumored dates, which is looking more and more likely). I just got my Step 2 e-mail that says my queue time is up, they're reviewing my invoice, and I should be offered the chance to purchase Soon(TM).

I am now deeply conflicted whether this bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Wow that’s amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Buying the 3090 is effectively just a chance to bypass paying scalper prices and has been for a while now, since it is slightly easier to find one than the other options. Sure, it's a lot of money, but it's cheaper than ebay prices of a 3080 let alone a 3090 or what the 3080Ti will be.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mutata posted:

Counterpoint: I'm gonna make fun of the video card makers for doing dumb poo poo.

Which is definitely good and fair. Some people just seem to be taking it personally, and that's... both sad and hilarious.

Death On Toast posted:

GT 210 Step-Up trip report: got in line for a 3090 on April 27th. I figured the 3080 was so backed up that I needn't bother, as I'd just be switching to the 3080 TI anyway (assuming it actually launches close to the rumored dates, which is looking more and more likely). I just got my Step 2 e-mail that says my queue time is up, they're reviewing my invoice, and I should be offered the chance to purchase Soon(TM).

I am now deeply conflicted whether this bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Dammit, as someone else who bought the 210 and is ready to use it for Step-Up, this is tempting...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

EVGA's 3080Ti will likely land at 1299 and 1349 respectively for the XC3 and FTW3. You just have to decide if an extra 12GB of buffer is worth $500 more.

You'll also have a LOT more competition for the 80Ti queue.

My question also now is, would I get $500 more worth of time out of a 3090 vs the rumored specs of the 3080 Ti?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

super fart shooter posted:

So over the past week, the GTX 760 I've had since 2014 seems to be dying -- it could still output video, but I was stuck at 800x600, and the video had all these horizontal green lines going across the screen. Device manager said that it had "detected a problem", or something like that, and I tried updating drivers a few times and it could never finish the installation.

So I was willing to accept that, but now that I've waded into the current GPU market I'm suddenly wondering if maaaybe it's a little too early to give up on this thing just yet??? Is there any hope for this card, could it be fixable heating issues? I'd be willing to open it up to apply new thermal paste and give it a good cleaning, if there's even a chance it might be salvageable, or do the symptoms I described mean it's just toast?

I suspect it's dead - that sounds like failure at a hardware level. Maybe bad RAM, or a memory controller problem, or something else resulting in those symptoms. I've got a spare card I can let go of on the cheap if you need, PM me. I don't know if it's as fast but it could do in a pinch.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SourKraut posted:

My question also now is, would I get $500 more worth of time out of a 3090 vs the rumored specs of the 3080 Ti?

Weigh how much discretionary income you'd accrue between now and whenever in June they'll actually start selling these.

Honestly I'd say it's worth it if it wouldn't be a huge outlay or risk because you're guaranteed product now. It's a long bet on DirectStorage being worth it, too. That's what made me go with the FTW3 Ultra 3090.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

njsykora posted:

According to Nvidia and AMD's financial reports, supply is actually way higher than last gen. They're making more cards than ever.

Yeah more cards for Chinese crypto mining outfits.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-and-rtx-3070-ti-to-be-announced-on-may-31st-launching-in-june

The goalposts have been moved again for anyone not keeping track, the new dates are May 31st announcement, June 2nd for 3070ti reviews, June 9th for 3080ti reviews, and retail dates unknown

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Won't the 3080Ti be the fastest two-slot card?

That's why I'm so interested and it isn't ridiculously huge or loud.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll also have a LOT more competition for the 80Ti queue.

Hmmm 3070 Ti might be the easiest card to get just by virtue of the fewest people wanting it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Hasturtium posted:

I suspect it's dead - that sounds like failure at a hardware level. Maybe bad RAM, or a memory controller problem, or something else resulting in those symptoms. I've got a spare card I can let go of on the cheap if you need, PM me. I don't know if it's as fast but it could do in a pinch.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right, I was just hoping someone might convince me otherwise... Anyway, I've got integrated graphics for now, so I don't desperately need a card or anything. Thanks for the offer though

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

repiv posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-and-rtx-3070-ti-to-be-announced-on-may-31st-launching-in-june

The goalposts have been moved again for anyone not keeping track, the new dates are May 31st announcement, June 2nd for 3070ti reviews, June 9th for 3080ti reviews, and retail dates unknown

Wtf….
Well..I still remember the smug comments after buying the 3090 strix last early November (for ~ 1850 €) :”haha, you got fleeced! Not dumb gamers wait for the 3080Ti or 3080 with 20 GB VRAM in March 2021 for 1000-1200 Euro, haha :smuggo: “.

Well, hindsight is a phenomenon and I can play everything ultramaxed since months now (and still think Cyberpunk with Raytracing is amazing) while the smug jerks are still without a GPU and losing their nerves and getting more frustrated every further month.

Don’t unleash the hate on early adopters and gaming bros and sisters because from a different POV they might have gotten the last laugh now.

Having said that it sucks for everyone who just wants have a new RDNA2 or an Ampere GPU for a “normal” price tag after having skipped 1 or 2 generations and is now facing 200% “usual” market prices.
It’s frustrating.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 4, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Prescription Combs posted:

Glad they keep launching new products no one can get.

Look at any microcenter drop printout - it's like 3/4 highend skus and 1/4 the same chips in "lesser" boards.

These will just be the new highend skus, at $100 or so more than the current ones.

I just want a loving amd card for linux, damnit. I never did like working with CUDA.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Death On Toast posted:

I ordered a 210 because of this. hopefully I get it while this is still going on.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Canna Happy posted:

The cost of everything is going crazy. The CPI doesn’t show real inflation rates. The poor and middle class are so hosed.

If you want to see real inflation numbers, you can look at the M2 money supply to get a decent idea of what's going on with the amount of money and near money in the US economy. It was looking bad enough before the pandemic, but it has really spiked since then.
The CPI only really measured lagging effects on prices from inflation (and other factors), anyway, and it has built-in adjustments these days that makes it rather misleading.

Even if things like GPU mining crashes relatively soon and gets those prices back down a bit, the general price increases in the US are far from over.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Scan appears to have several models of the 6900XT in stock if you want to pay over 1500 for a gpu

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wow, the Newegg shuffle actually has... okay bundles today? Reliable RAM and not terrible EVGA power supplies

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They have some with b450 boards which is kinda lol.

I’m tempted by the gpu+psu but I refreshed like my whole houses worth of power supplies last year when THOSE were scarce.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In what reality 3080Ti will be under 2k?

In Finland 3070 is 1100€. 3080 1500-1600. 3090 2500-3000. So my guess is around 2000€ for 3080Ti.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Won't the 3080Ti be the fastest two-slot card?

That's why I'm so interested and it isn't ridiculously huge or loud.
I doubt that anything but the FE model would be a 2-slot card fwiw.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Weigh how much discretionary income you'd accrue between now and whenever in June they'll actually start selling these.

Honestly I'd say it's worth it if it wouldn't be a huge outlay or risk because you're guaranteed product now. It's a long bet on DirectStorage being worth it, too. That's what made me go with the FTW3 Ultra 3090.

I just jumped on the 3090 FTW3 after debating on the 3080ti for step up. Given the uncertainty of the price, availability and release date of the 3080ti it seems like the 3090 is the one to get.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

change my name posted:

Wow, the Newegg shuffle actually has... okay bundles today? Reliable RAM and not terrible EVGA power supplies

The 3070 bundle with the RGB-festooned $200 video capture device with 2-star reviews is pretty funny

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

The 3070 bundle with the RGB-festooned $200 video capture device with 2-star reviews is pretty funny

i laughed at that one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
3080 TI bundle with actual live grenade. Pin Pulled. (Fire hazard)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

super fart shooter posted:

So over the past week, the GTX 760 I've had since 2014 seems to be dying -- it could still output video, but I was stuck at 800x600, and the video had all these horizontal green lines going across the screen. Device manager said that it had "detected a problem", or something like that, and I tried updating drivers a few times and it could never finish the installation.

So I was willing to accept that, but now that I've waded into the current GPU market I'm suddenly wondering if maaaybe it's a little too early to give up on this thing just yet??? Is there any hope for this card, could it be fixable heating issues? I'd be willing to open it up to apply new thermal paste and give it a good cleaning, if there's even a chance it might be salvageable, or do the symptoms I described mean it's just toast?

This is the same thing that happened to my Gigabyte 2070; same green lines everywhere, same failures. Condolences. :rip:

That being said, is there even a way to get a decent card? I have an Index VR headset that I was using with the 2070, but I can't very well use it now that it's dead. But it also looks like everything is just a huge cluster. I assume a 3070/3080 would be fine, but how do you even go about buying one at all, and for a price that isn't super inflated?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Patience, fat stacks, or you don’t. That’s where we are at.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

This is the same thing that happened to my Gigabyte 2070; same green lines everywhere, same failures. Condolences. :rip:

That being said, is there even a way to get a decent card? I have an Index VR headset that I was using with the 2070, but I can't very well use it now that it's dead. But it also looks like everything is just a huge cluster. I assume a 3070/3080 would be fine, but how do you even go about buying one at all, and for a price that isn't super inflated?

"For a price that isn't super inflated" - that limits you to camping outside a Microcenter overnights until they have a drop that has the card you want and you are close enough in line to get it. Pre-builts, NewEgg Shuffle, and eBay are all going to be inflated, some more than others.

Personally, I put in an order to CyberPower. It wasn't cheap, and it isn't expected to ship until July, but for me, it was the best of a bunch of bad options.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/1389698243915784195?s=20
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1389686848134565890?s=20

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lol it kinda feels like cheating to fleece the oil states for gamer bucks

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

lmao paying 2x what even the scalped price will be just to get a card a month early when no drivers exist for it so you can't use it anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the scalped price of a 3080 regular right now is $2100~ so assuming the 3080Ti will go for only $1750 is a little optimistic

lol

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Has anyone ordered any EVGA b-stock recently? I bought a 2060 KO and it artifacts and crashes my PC. Another GPU works fine without issue. I guess the only option is to RMA the card. Has anyone had success having EVGA pay for return shipping. Getting a "new" card DOA it seems like you shouldn't have to pay return shipping.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a clue on roughly how many cards Newegg is actually selling via the shuffle? I'm basically entering it daily until I snag one and just being patient. :shrug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the scalped price of a 3080 regular right now is $2100~ so assuming the 3080Ti will go for only $1750 is a little optimistic

lol

I think they're talking about MSRP.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mutata posted:

I think they're talking about MSRP.

well, they probably should have said that instead of "the scalped price" then

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh duh. Nevermind then lol.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SourKraut posted:

For the vast majority of us on SomethingAwful, GPUs are simply a luxury commodity item that otherwise have no significant (or shouldn't, at least) impact on our well being. So it seems strange to have such strong opinions on something that probably at least 5 billion people in the world don't even know exists as they go about their daily struggles to simply survive.

And then there's people like me who need a gpu upgrade for professional work. :sigh:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

And then there's people like me who need a gpu upgrade for professional work. :sigh:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
New GPU $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Chinatown posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
New GPU $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Well it was *supposed* to be 500-750 USD. For the thing I need to make Blender not run like poo poo when doing realtime animation workflow stuff.

It doesn't matter anyway; I'm probably going to get a pugetsystems build with the specs I need later this year.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everyone's assumptions were correct.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1389855710289276928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It's actually been, what, three generations in a row where it actually made financial sense to buy the top of the stack? 980ti, 1080ti, and 2080ti are all still viable cards today when the next generation has bumped in price in the article-described ratchet way, so waiting for the next release and buying a tier down is a really nebulous savings.

If you factor in that a 1080ti was $700, the 3060 isn't that much better 4 years later for $400-500+ and you could have enjoyed that level of performance for 4 years!

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 5, 2021