Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

New ETS2 physics engine looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It better be a fancy plastic pallet for that kind of markup. Also delivered and offloaded with a White Castle forklift.

They'd be like 6500 bucks if that white castle forklift operator was certified.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/4ec7ujl.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's a big potato.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Small boulder the size of a large boulder making a big splash?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mexico City is not having a good day. A train fell on cars.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/mexico-city-metro-overpass-collapses-with-train-cars-2021-05-04/

https://twitter.com/diario24horas/status/1389432893290713088

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

What a strange trick

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

23 dead.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Love that its so heavily watermarked you can barely see what's going on.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Love that its so heavily watermarked you can barely see what's going on.

schmug
May 20, 2007

seems bad

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Very. Some of the dead are children

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Love how they all are just standing there with a 'yep, poo poo's hosed' attitude :D

https://twitter.com/Synthocado/status/1389597041014231046

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
*honk honk* "YOU'RE LOSING YOUR poo poo!"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Kesper North posted:

*honk honk* "YOU'RE LOSING YOUR poo poo!"

don't doxx me

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qsliupetP41r0uzl6.mp4

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah I bet that hurt

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RIP full thickness hand skin.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

It seems like this is a terrible idea in a lot of ways besides the obvious setting off a bomb in your face ways.

Wouldn’t removing all the coolant, even if it was super heated, damage the engine. Or is it basically turbo hosed at that point?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Me: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The engine isn't running, so it doesn't need any coolant at the moment.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

why would you open it tho, like what good would that do?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

azurite posted:

Yeah I bet that hurt

There is an aftermath photo floating around that claims to be from this. It is gruesome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LifeSunDeath posted:

why would you open it tho, like what good would that do?

It'll cool the engine off really quick. Had a coolant hose let go in my Supra once; first the temperature gage went really low, and then it went really high.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, but then it went back down to zero as I kept driving! It self-cools!

In addition to pressure-cooking your extremities, you can gently caress up a hot engine by doing that. Cooks off all of the coolant - then, where's all the block heat gonna go?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FatCow posted:

There is an aftermath photo floating around that claims to be from this. It is gruesome.

Are you talking about the ones Daily Mail has because are not nearly as bad as I expected

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's no instinct that tells you that mechanical systems under intense pressure will gently caress you up the way a 10 foot fall is naturally scary

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah, but then it went back down to zero as I kept driving! It self-cools!

In addition to pressure-cooking your extremities, you can gently caress up a hot engine by doing that. Cooks off all of the coolant - then, where's all the block heat gonna go?

This is what the overflow is for. When pressure in the cooling system exceeds the radiator caps' spring pressure, the overheated water flows out to an overflow tank, or in cars with pressurized tanks separate from the radiator, to the ground.

Never open a hot radiator, leave it sit for an hour.

Radiator caps are pretty interesting little things. For every pound of spring pressure the cap applies, it raises the boiling point inside by 3°F. So instead of boiling over at 212°F, with a 15psi radiator cap (used to be pretty standard), your boil point is 257°F.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 5, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Radiator caps are pretty interesting little things. For every pound of spring pressure the cap applies, it raises the boiling point inside by 3°F. So instead of boiling over at 212°F, with a 15psi radiator cap (used to be pretty standard), your boil point is 257°F.

that's cool to know.

I swear I saw a service station employee do this exact thing when I was a kid, but I can't imagine why anybody who knew anything about cars would do it ever

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Empty Sandwich posted:

that's cool to know.

I swear I saw a service station employee do this exact thing when I was a kid, but I can't imagine why anybody who knew anything about cars would do it ever

I know nothing about cars. What was he doing, and why was he likely doing it?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

shame on an IGA posted:

Are you talking about the ones Daily Mail has because are not nearly as bad as I expected

Yeah, the daily mail article links the video to the images, and the injury is relatively tame considering how bad it could have been.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7232981/West-Sussex-teen-suffers-burns-arm-removing-radiator-cap-hot-car.html

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
His car was overheating well past operating limits, and pissing water/coolant mix into the overflow tank that's designed to take overheating mix. He opened the fill cap, which you're never supposed to do in those situations, thus relieving pressure, which then because physics caused things that were very hot liquid, to become steam at a rapid rate.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blue Moonlight posted:

I know nothing about cars. What was he doing, and why was he likely doing it?

Being an idiot.

In the case of knowing nothing about cars, the smart thing to do when your engine overheats is to find a place to park and turn the engine off. It'll be an hour before you can drive another 5 minutes. Doing that risks warping engine parts, because overheating once means it's probably going to keep happening, so just call for a tow.

That idiot probably thought he could take the cap off, fill the radiator with water, and just drive on down the road. And now he has burns as a reward for his ignorance. Read your owners manual thoroughly, especially the warnings, before popping your hood and fiddling with things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you had pure water in there, that is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think antifreeze has a boiling point around 230-240°F alone, unpressurized, so mixed, it's somewhere in between. It's been a while since I thought about that, but you're right, it's higher with actual coolant than just water.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think antifreeze has a boiling point around 230-240°F alone, unpressurized, so mixed, it's somewhere in between. It's been a while since I thought about that, but you're right, it's higher with actual coolant than just water.

50/50 glycol and water is 265 under a 15 psi cap. Pure water with water wetter added is 250.

Obviously sea level, ymmv, etc

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i lived with a roomate who added water wetter to his water so he could drink "more water per water."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I swear there are warnings all over the inside of the bonnet and radiator cap saying DO NOT OPEN THIS WHEN HOT.