Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
having more than 6 tabs open makes me nauseous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

one day you'll all discover the majesty of the second browser window

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so you can have 70 tabs open that you've completely forgotten about after minimizing the window and open 50 more in another window

have to keep memory manufacturers in business

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ngl edge has the nicest implementation of vertical tabs i've used and it's causing me to use it for heavy documentation reading sessions rather than firefox

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

who needs bookmarks when you can just type like the first two letters of whatever site you're trying to reach and the chome suggests it

this is what i do

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

carry on then posted:

one day you'll all discover the majesty of the second browser window

Firefox has this nifty feature called pinned tabs: If you pin a tab, it's moved all the way to the left, displayed in a compact icon-only manner and more importantly it always gets opened when you start the browser. Incredibly useful to have e-mail and calendar and whatever else open automatically (especially with containers which allow you to have the same website opened with different accounts signed in).

Except if the window with the pinned tabs isn't the last one you close. Then they're gone the next time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clearly the correct solution is to maintain your tabs as a priority queue and then use "close tabs to right" once you exceed a certain threshold.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I just declare "tab bankruptcy" every day or two by closing ff. Most are diffs that slack opened in a new tab when I forgot I had already opened the link earlier.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
buying terrabytes of ram for my ever-growing rig because I am unaware that I'm supposed to close tabs when i'm done with them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I go through a personal ceremony whenever I am done with a programming or board bring up problem by closing 20+ open tabs that pertain to said problem. Feels good man.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*honest, hardworking, god-fearing computer user, aghast to see you leaving a tab open when youre finished*

"Were you raised in a barn?!"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I go through a personal ceremony whenever I am done with a programming or board bring up problem by closing 20+ open tabs that pertain to said problem. Feels good man.

Uh, yes, programming...

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wayland-Protocols 1.21 Released With XDG_Activation, Staging Replaces Unstable

wayland-protocols must be like, the most important wayland related project there is

all of wayland's issues stems from not having defined protocols for how you communicate between programs

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'll be honest. I do not understand wayland and why it doesn't work the way it does. I've read long blog posts using lots of formatting and graphs and whatnot, and I still can't conceptualise how wayland is supposed to draw a bunch of consistently styled windows on a screen.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Antigravitas posted:

I'll be honest. I do not understand wayland and why it doesn't work the way it does. I've read long blog posts using lots of formatting and graphs and whatnot, and I still can't conceptualise how wayland is supposed to draw a bunch of consistently styled windows on a screen.

p sure "consistently styled" is out of scope for wayland and window style lives in a higher abstraction layer

wayland's a compositor (copy and/or overlay with transparency a bunch of pixmaps to the frame buffer) and low level event router (send mouse clicks to the right place, etc)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BobHoward posted:

p sure "consistently styled" is out of scope for wayland and window style lives in a higher abstraction layer

wayland's a compositor (copy and/or overlay with transparency a bunch of pixmaps to the frame buffer) and low level event router (send mouse clicks to the right place, etc)

there exists a wayland protocol to ask the desktop manager to give you a decorated window, but i think only kde implements it as they are devoted disciples of the church of server side decorations. otherwise the client is responsible for everything. it's not something you have to worry about if you are using a toolkit like qt or gtk, but "just give me a basic window to draw stuff in" libraries like sdl need to either draw controls themselves or use something like libdecor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wayland does client-side window decorations because because of some blah-blah-blah about tearing or gapless resizing or something like that

it works for Windows but Windows has a single UI library that every application uses which does the window drawing for you, Wayland naturally didn't bother to include anything like that

Windows also managed to add support for dealing with unresponsive applications after like 15 years of sucking, Wayland didn't really bother with that either

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the linux gui stack being abstracted in the name of 'freedom' to independently swap the display server, compositor, and desktop environment is why it will always suck

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

the linux gui stack being abstracted in the name of 'freedom' to independently swap the display server, compositor, and desktop environment is why it will always suck

this is why people use distros rather than roll your own, which sucks in a different way but is less worse

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Wayland does client-side window decorations because because of some blah-blah-blah about tearing or gapless resizing or something like that

it works for Windows but Windows has a single UI library that every application uses which does the window drawing for you, Wayland naturally didn't bother to include anything like that

Windows also managed to add support for dealing with unresponsive applications after like 15 years of sucking, Wayland didn't really bother with that either

Do tell, what is the single Windows UI library that every application uses

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Do tell, what is the single Windows UI library that every application uses

USER32.DLL which contains DefWindowProc which draws and handles events for the non client area.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Ocean of Milk posted:

Incredibly useful to have e-mail and calendar and whatever else open automatically (especially with containers which allow you to have the same website opened with different accounts signed in).

wrong mozilla software, thunderbird is what you use for email and calendar

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lysidas posted:

wrong mozilla software, thunderbird is what you use for email and calendar

hello visitor from 2007

i have bad news about things to come

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thunderbird owns actually

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Thunderbird would be cool if it still got worked on. I ditched it recently, just felt too jank.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I still use thunderbird for imap mail and calendaring. It's still needs suiting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Thunderbird would be cool if it still got worked on. I ditched it recently, just felt too jank.

yeah it's a certain level of failure to maintain a piece of software when the equivalent pack-in UWP app that comes with windows 10 is better

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Perplx posted:

wayland seems to be ~equivalent to the macos windowserver, so its a move in a sane direction

shame about everything built on top of it, much of which is still speaking x11 through xwayland

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Thunderbird is actually seeing more active development. They pulled several addons into the core and are working on a GUI revamp. Having both S/MIME and OpenPGP in core Thunderbird is genuinely useful (since I use both for reasons).

All I really need now is CardDAV integration in the address book.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ah i thought thunderbird had that already, but i guess it's still a plugin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

lol if you’re not paying money every month for the ultimate electron app, mighty, to stream your tabs from the internet instead of your ram

lmfao this is amazing

love sending all my web passwords to a random app, what could possibly go wrong

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I would like that if I could self host on the my gaming rig, but I could just use remote desktop for that. Also my m1 can easily handle a hundred tabs already at the expense of ssd writes.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I still use thunderbird for imap mail and calendaring. It's still needs suiting.

thunderbird continues to be the best and easiest way to migrate from gmail to fastmail imo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Left my laptop upgrading to fedora 34 overnight and today I found it stuck on a black screen. I rebooted and now dozens of services are falling to start. Another successful day linuxing

Fortunately ive got daily btrfs backups so we'll see if they actually work or not lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol owned

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rufus Ping posted:

Left my laptop upgrading to fedora 34 overnight and today I found it stuck on a black screen. I rebooted and now dozens of services are falling to start. Another successful day linuxing

Fortunately ive got daily btrfs backups so we'll see if they actually work or not lol

Fedora: the cause of and solution to all Linux problems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that within the tiny community of this one thread fedora nukes someone's poo poo weekly, but also a non-zero number of posters swear by it.

the linux experience in a nutshell

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i love that within the tiny community of this one thread fedora nukes someone's poo poo weekly, but also a non-zero number of posters swear by it.

the linux experience in a nutshell

The same users that Fedora nukes are ones with super weird and highly customized snowflake setups running btrfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The same users that Fedora nukes are ones with super weird and highly customized snowflake setups running btrfs.

Btrfs is default as of fedora 33 and there is nothing weird about my setup