Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

For those of you who have used MIG or AK black masking putty, how does it compare to blue-tack or Silly Putty? Just wondering if it worth shelling out 20 bucks for a little tin of the stuff.

I can't speak for any of these products but I've had good luck with Vallejo liquid mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i have yet to meet a liquid mask that can compare to either silly putty or tamiya tape

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I stand by silly putty.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I can't speak for any of these products but I've had good luck with Vallejo liquid mask.

I have some of that, but it isn't the best for masking off large areas. It is nice for small areas like canopy making, but I much prefer the Humbrol purple liquid mask for stuff like that. The main reason I prefer Humbrol to Vallejo is that it is more opaque and easier to see what you have masked. With the transparent blue of the Vallejo, it can be difficult to see when you are applying it in thin layers. The downside of Humbrol is that it smells like rear end.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
humberol is the closest liquid mask I’ve come to liking but it destroys brushes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I vaguely remember the pot I got having a brush integrated into the lid, and it basically being a rubber mess after the first time I used it. It's good stuff, but it's not exactly easy to clean up.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I feel like Brooks getting out of prison. I'm institutionalized to this kit as it's been on my bench for so drat long. Now what?

drat dude, really nice work.

You should go build a 1/144 plane with some nice 1/144 interior detail sets to relax.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

You should go build a 1/144 plane with some nice 1/144 interior detail sets to relax.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Something nice and relaxing.

Like masking a 1/144 birdcage canopy.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Symetrique posted:

Something nice and relaxing.

Like masking a 1/144 birdcage canopy.

Anyone make a 1/144 scale Avenger?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Anyone make a 1/144 scale Avenger?

Looks like there's one kit from like the 70s that has been reboxed.

Brengun just came out with a 1/144 Dauntless though:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/brengun-brp144014-sbd-3-dauntless-midway--1296025

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Parafilm M is really good for masking larger areas, self adhesive without leaving residue behind, can be cut precisely with a hobby knife and can be shaped a bit around details.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Needed some more Bob Smith Epoxy, so I loaded up my cart to get free shipping. I got one of those dollhouse room kits. I think I'll build this one and give it to my mom for her birthday in September. She loves plants and gardening, so hopefully she love this.

Hey, I got one of these! I'm, uh, still building it. Some of the instructions are a little unclear, but nothing too obnoxious. They are incredibly high quality products, especially at that cost. A lot of fun!

Just make sure to set a schedule for your building sessions, as it's particularly easy to let it fall by the wayside. It's a bit of a marathon build

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Beep beep I'm a Jeep

Full photos: https://imgur.com/a/F7VOhOw

This was supposed to be a nice quick relaxing kit as a break from the Panzer IV, it turned out into a small nightmare of its own with all the tiny minuscule medals and whatnot. I also managed to gently caress up the officer's face repeatedly and decided to leave it as is.

The idea behind the scene was a tank hunting party: a seasoned tank killer in the back armed to the teeth, a hotshot officer and his driver up front. Sadly the kit didn't reflect this (the driver is the most decorated one of them all) so I at least attempted to give the guy in the back medals for personal heroism while the guys in the front have "participation trophies".

The figures and accessories are MiniArt, the Jeep is the old Italeri kit. The figures do not fit into it at all, especially the driver. Lots of sanding was required, but I think the positions are okay. The rifleman and officers even slouch in a way that makes the rifle's position look natural. Overall I'm happy looking at the thumbnails, but the moment I zoom in things start looking a bit suspect.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I just got my 1/32 Mk IV Mosquito. It's the first Revell kit I have tried and it looks really nice, but man the instructions are a little more sparse that you get with Airfix. What are other makers like, things like Trumpeter scare me a little?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SoylentCola posted:

I just got my 1/32 Mk IV Mosquito. It's the first Revell kit I have tried and it looks really nice, but man the instructions are a little more sparse that you get with Airfix. What are other makers like, things like Trumpeter scare me a little?

is it the old-school black@white instructions? or newer full color ones?

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Jonny Nox posted:

is it the old-school black@white instructions? or newer full color ones?

Old school

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Symetrique posted:

Looks like there's one kit from like the 70s that has been reboxed.

Brengun just came out with a 1/144 Dauntless though:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/brengun-brp144014-sbd-3-dauntless-midway--1296025

I just made that kit ! I'd give it a B+. There actually is some cockpit detail, but the wings to fuselage fit wasn't great. I'll give myself a B- for being a little sloppy with some of the decals. I'll definitely get more from the manufacturer, they have a good 1/144 range.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

SoylentCola posted:

It really depends on the individual kit. Tamiya's instructions are great. Dragon's are absolute poo poo. Some of trumpeters instructions are more like guides, others are really spot on. Much like kits themselves, the quality of the instructions vary greatly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Dragon's are absolute poo poo.
I'm surprised to hear this, my only dragon kit so far (an m1 mine plow) had perfectly good instructions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

I'm surprised to hear this, my only dragon kit so far (an m1 mine plow) had perfectly good instructions.

The printing quality, visual detail, etc is fine but every single dragon kit I've built had at least one part that either had a wrong part number or a part that mysteriously appears without being called out, or parts shown going together in impossible ways. Usually there's more than one such issue.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Bashin'.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hanomag? More like “Hanoswag”, ammirite?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If I were looking to dive head first back into the wild wild world of airbrushing, would it be a dumb move to buy this?

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-Double-Gravity-Compressor/dp/B08VF1SR26

I'm wanting something more for prop and costume stuff rather than model kits (not that it really matters I guess), and it's been quite a long time since I've done any real painting at all, so I'm not even sure what I should be looking for anymore. My budget is pretty fluid, I'd totally be willing to spend more than what that Paasche kit costs if it means getting something that's not trash - I'm looking at you, Iawata Neo that I used a few years ago for two days and promptly returned.

I do still have a compressor, but it's just a cheap thing with no tank and possibly questionable output these days, so a whole new setup is really what I'm after. Recommendations would be genuinely appreciated.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Acid Reflux posted:

If I were looking to dive head first back into the wild wild world of airbrushing, would it be a dumb move to buy this?

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-Double-Gravity-Compressor/dp/B08VF1SR26

I'm wanting something more for prop and costume stuff rather than model kits (not that it really matters I guess), and it's been quite a long time since I've done any real painting at all, so I'm not even sure what I should be looking for anymore. My budget is pretty fluid, I'd totally be willing to spend more than what that Paasche kit costs if it means getting something that's not trash - I'm looking at you, Iawata Neo that I used a few years ago for two days and promptly returned.

I do still have a compressor, but it's just a cheap thing with no tank and possibly questionable output these days, so a whole new setup is really what I'm after. Recommendations would be genuinely appreciated.

Go with an Iwata HPCR .5mm or HP-CS if you're going to use it for non modeling stuff and have the budget for a more premium airbrush. If you're working on large props and costumes that require a lot of paint, you might want to get a siphon feed airbrush like an HP-BCR or a trigger type .5 like the Creos PS290. Paasche isnt terrible, but theyre not quite as good as Iwata/H&S/Japanese airbrushes.

For a compressor, just get something with a tank, like Spraygunner's https://spraygunner.com/compressor-for-airbrush/no-name-compressors/ no-name line. Alternatively, the California Air Tools quiet compressors are pretty solid too.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
So a few weeks ago someone posted that they had accidentally glued the front plate of their model turret on upside down. I'm not one to judge, but I do remember wondering how someone could make that mistake.

Today I discovered that I glued the rear turret plate of the Merkava inside out. Putty, sanding, and drilling new holes saved it but that is a thing that happened.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Symetrique posted:

Go with an Iwata HPCR .5mm or HP-CS if you're going to use it for non modeling stuff and have the budget for a more premium airbrush. If you're working on large props and costumes that require a lot of paint, you might want to get a siphon feed airbrush like an HP-BCR or a trigger type .5 like the Creos PS290. Paasche isnt terrible, but theyre not quite as good as Iwata/H&S/Japanese airbrushes.

For a compressor, just get something with a tank, like Spraygunner's https://spraygunner.com/compressor-for-airbrush/no-name-compressors/ no-name line. Alternatively, the California Air Tools quiet compressors are pretty solid too.

Just ordered a "Tooty" compressor from Spray Gunner and got a 7% off coupon to boot, hooray!

I should probably assess my overall needs a little bit more before I settle on a particular airbrush, but you've given me some great leads to read up on and make decisions with. Thanks for the info!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

So a few weeks ago someone posted that they had accidentally glued the front plate of their model turret on upside down. I'm not one to judge, but I do remember wondering how someone could make that mistake.

Today I discovered that I glued the rear turret plate of the Merkava inside out. Putty, sanding, and drilling new holes saved it but that is a thing that happened.

I glued my BT-7's gun mantlet on crooked. Bit of sanding and a bit of camo net and voila, no one can tell.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Vorenus posted:

To be fair, the gaff was to glue the breech to the turret face upside down. The turret face wouldn't actually fit on the turret base with the breech glued how it was. That was just one of many many mistakes I made on that kit. Oh well, we've all been there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Having binged The Great I'm now inspired to make a Russian Imperial Army diorama. What's the best source for 18th Century Russians and a lady of the court? I see Zvezda made some Peter the Great's infantry, but they seem hard to find. I'm not attached to 1:72nd, I hear 54 mm is a popular wargaming scale too. I'll crosspost this to the wargames thread, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know much about that aspect of historical modeling, but you're first stop should probably be Michigan Toy Soldier. It'll at least give you an idea of what product's out there, and the companies the specialize in historical figs.

Probably check out Andrea Miniatures as well. One of the top, if not the top, historical figure companies out there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know much about that aspect of historical modeling, but you're first stop should probably be Michigan Toy Soldier. It'll at least give you an idea of what product's out there, and the companies the specialize in historical figs.

Probably check out Andrea Miniatures as well. One of the top, if not the top, historical figure companies out there.

Oof, is 23 Euro for a 54 mm figure a typical price? I might have to stick to 1/72.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty much. Historical figs have always commanded a higher price than a bog-standard WWII fig. But think of it this way, they're a bargain compared with a typical Warham.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

They're also generally scaled better. None of that 28mm heroic bullshit with freakishly large hands, heads and whatnot. Painting 54mm figures is fun as hell though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

After careful modifications, altering parts to match the movie, scratching things completely and carefully matching every streak an smear to the prop...

I had put the side pods on the wrong sides.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oof, is 23 Euro for a 54 mm figure a typical price? I might have to stick to 1/72.
54mm is not a small scale. You can get plastic Romans, Celts, Americans and Germans and the like cheaply enough, but games at the scale tends to end up being two dudes per base max. It's basically 3.75" figure sized. Metals and resins end up expensive just because of material costs.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

€23 for a high quality figure isnt that much compared to the joy of painting it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Truth. Model kits have gotten more expensive over the years, but they still represent an incredible return on investment in terms of hours of engagement per dollar. Bitch though I did about the RFM Panzer IV at times, it was ~$100 for five months of hobby enjoyment. Same for the motorized Avenger I did a few months ago. A lot of artistic fulfillment for the cost of a night out. Pretty great in my book.

I think back and contrast modeling to my gun collecting days in which I could spend several thousand on something I never did more than look at.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ah, the palette cleanser. After the slog that was the Panzer IV, I've made it my task to knock out this 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai (George) before the end of May. So far the wings and fuselage are together, and I just put the finishing touches on the pilot, one Lt. Yoshishige Matsuyama of the 343rd Naval Flying Group, 407th Fighter Squadron, or so sayeth the instructions anyway. I find that painting figures is like going for a run... once you're done, it was totally worth it, but working up the gusto to tackle it is sometimes a drag. You can't see it well in the pics, but I added seatbelts holding him to the seat w/tamiya tape. :D

I do love Hasegawa kits for their detail and ease of assembly, so this has been an absolute joy so far.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Aren't 1/32nd aircraft quite large? That's quite a challenge to finish one before the end of May.