Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Play posted:

Nah I have heard the name before, although I wasn't alive when they were a going concern. Didn't expect to see it on a random billboard of a street shot from someone who visited from abroad in the 70s though.

Hey, the Smothers Brothers last went on tour in 2019. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

McGavin posted:

check the Wikipedia again :/ they retired in 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pacerhimself posted:

Thank goodness the girl has training wheels on her bike, otherwise she might hurt herself.

And the pink coloration prevents a delayed gender reveal IED

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

McGavin posted:

I'm... uhhh... younger than I look

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Smothers Brothers is a perfect example of "cancel culture" or whatever Boomers love to rant about. Smothers Brothers in their last season were very quick to point out racism, issues with the Vietnam war, and very critical of Nixon.

CBS wanted them to start hand in shows two weeks early so they would have a chance to censor and edit but they refused. Eventually CBS just cancelled them (there's a rumor Nixon called CBS and demanded it).

To fill the time slot, CBS went with Hee Haw which provided the same type of variety show but with jokes guaranteed not to upset White people.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
We are all the Smothers Brothers now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That person has too many guns imo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'm the collection of roof guns ready to fall on trespassers and small children riding tricycles.

The thought of having to clean all those makes my eyes itch. WTF is the point?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Everyone needs a hobby

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They could just get a meth addiction like respectable members of society.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Outrail posted:

I'm the collection of roof guns ready to fall on trespassers and small children riding tricycles.

I'm certain that is where they are stored. Externally on the edge of the roof.

WTF is the point of collecting anything? Old cars, bikes, hats, MtG cards, being someone with an expensive hobby like those people who build and laquer their own boats or some poo poo? People just...get into it.
The only difference is this person's is guns. Which are particularly stupid as hell for obvious reasons that don't need to be gone into here yet again.

However, they've got history, stats, and the ability to get 'techy' with them so they scratch peoples itch in a lot of areas. It's just loving stupid to take it out on guns. Because of how bad they suck and how stupid people are who own and/or use them for literally anything.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pretty sure almost none of those guns have history other than being recently made AR-15s, the most boring rifle on the planet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's like $100,000 worth of guns. Most of them very similar. They are buying just to buy.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum? I mean it makes sense. But,
Vacuum cleaner museum.

Umbrella Cover Museum

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

this is almost too self-aware kitsch to be americana, but I like it. A lady with an accordion kinda gets by my defenses.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Outrail posted:

Is it bad that I would love to spend a few months lovingly cleaning and cataloging them? My collection is much smaller, and more historic, but I love taking apart, figuring out, and cleaning fire arms.

Edit:
To contribute, here's a picture of one of my old lady's coyote skins over the TV next to a portrait of my dog with a few old guns.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 4, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Typical midwest hoarders.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Arthur Tress is an interesting find but I was looking for the guy who did a ton of really evocative b&w pics of ghettoes and underclass/outsiders in the 60s and 70s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I used to walk past a weird museum every day on my way to work. It was this squat, windowless building with "Kidd's Toy Museum" painted around the only entrance, a locked steel door.

On the door was a note that said, "NO APPTS. NECESSARY! JUST KNOCK!"

I never knocked, the place seemed creepy.

Looking it up now, it seems my instincts were correct. It's just a small windowless building housing an old man's toy collection, with a large section of racist toys right at the front, and absolutely no information about anything.

It doesn't even cost admission, this guy just really wants people to admire his toy collection.

Here's the top two reviews:

The third review is very positive though:

It's an interesting mix of stuff in there.

A bunch of bobbleheads of recent sports figures interspersed with old toy planes? :confused:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Outrail posted:

It's called freedom. Look it up.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bonzo posted:

To fill the time slot, CBS went with Hee Haw which provided the same type of variety show but with jokes guaranteed not to upset White people.

My grandfather was not a man who cared much about television, but there were two things you did not interrupt - his evening news and you for drat sure did not interrupt his Hee Haw.

Hee Haw was actually canceled by CBS in 1971, but immediately opted for syndication and its first run ended in 1993.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum? I mean it makes sense. But,
Vacuum cleaner museum.

I only stopped because, well, after seeing the billboards, how could I not? It was really small but surprisingly interesting. Only thing I remember is their claim that vacuums have headlights because when people first started getting electricity in their homes, you'd have one outlet per room so any lights would be off while vacuuming. I've never seen that verified though.

Also Smothers Brothers comedy still holds up.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Man, I miss the days when child manglin was an annual thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

cult_hero posted:

Man, I miss the days when child manglin was an annual thing.

I first became aware of this about ten years ago, the summer
My oldest boy, Bill Jr. died. You know that carnival comes into
Town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride
Called The Mixer. The man said, "Keep your head, and arms, inside
The Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr, he was a DAAAREDEVIL, just
Like his old man. He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody,
Look at me! Look at me!" Pow! He was decapitated! They found
His head over by the snow cone concession.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Tip posted:

I used to walk past a weird museum every day on my way to work. It was this squat, windowless building with "Kidd's Toy Museum" painted around the only entrance, a locked steel door.

On the door was a note that said, "NO APPTS. NECESSARY! JUST KNOCK!"

I never knocked, the place seemed creepy.

Looking it up now, it seems my instincts were correct. It's just a small windowless building housing an old man's toy collection, with a large section of racist toys right at the front, and absolutely no information about anything.

It doesn't even cost admission, this guy just really wants people to admire his toy collection.

Here's the top two reviews:

The third review is very positive though:

It's an interesting mix of stuff in there.

A bunch of bobbleheads of recent sports figures interspersed with old toy planes? :confused:

Wow, I lived in SE Portland for a decade and never knew about that place. I must have walked right past it hundreds of times. Oops!

schmug
May 20, 2007

Is bribing kids to read with food American(a)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glBmBy0gd44

This whole channel is pure Americana
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuHD9xewJe3r9eGdjd5z5gw

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 4, 2021

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

well, that gave me a childhood flashback

stupid sexy pioneers

schmug
May 20, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJ3Rd8YTL0

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
The main roads that pass through northern California's giant redwood forests are filled with weird tourist traps selling Bigfoot merch, chainsaw sculptures, and burl art.

This one is about an hour south of the Oregon border:

I have a picture of myself hugging Babe's giant blue balls about 20 years ago. It's very artsy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

definitely been here. when you came in they'd ask what each kid's name was and then the poor desk attendant would make the statue say them

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

poo poo you can buy Trees of Mystery at any tobacco store or head shop now a days.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

schmug posted:

Those personal pan pizzas ruled.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's really weird but I feel like this is something my family would have played for me as I lay dying in some hospice somewhere. The soft music, the gentle tones of the narrator's voice. This was your life, in brands...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I first became aware of this about ten years ago, the summer
My oldest boy, Bill Jr. died. You know that carnival comes into
Town every year? Well this year they came through with a ride
Called The Mixer. The man said, "Keep your head, and arms, inside
The Mixer at all times." But Bill Jr, he was a DAAAREDEVIL, just
Like his old man. He was leaning out saying "Hey everybody,
Look at me! Look at me!" Pow! He was decapitated! They found
His head over by the snow cone concession.

They're building landing strips for gay Martians. I swear to god.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

schmug posted:

Only got the book-it pizza one time, it was cool. drat I miss the OG breadsticks from 80's pizza hut, something about them just tasted infinitely better than today.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pizza hut was almost certainly not as good as i remember it but i do have good memories of back when it was an actual sitdown restaurant.

https://twitter.com/TylerTexas19/status/1360980704964796418?s=20

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

uber_stoat posted:

pizza hut was almost certainly not as good as i remember it but i do have good memories of back when it was an actual sitdown restaurant.

Most of them have closed around here, but one small town a few miles away still has one with the salad bar and everything.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Great, now my childhood memory of Robie the Robot is tainted with this terrible knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

uber_stoat posted:

had a pizza hut, and a shakey's and a really good arcade all within a mile of me as a kid, would roll around on Saturday with a 20 dollar roll of quarters just having a baller day.