Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gg cnn (actually, for once) for going this far even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Something must be done about Modi.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nonsense posted:

Talk to the CIA, they're more than able to handle.... oh what's that, he's their guy? Oh well

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Xaris posted:

lol the new freddie article would cause an matter-antimatter explosion obliterating the entire known universe if it came in contact with the cspam covid thread

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nonsense posted:

A few more weeks of this and the problem will solve itself, one way or another.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I have already ranted about those who seem to derive immense, perverse pleasure out of moralizing about Covid, enforcing pessimism with utter gusto and strutting around as if treating the most unpleasant future as the likeliest future is a mark of moral sophistication. These are the people who, when the vaccines first began to trickle out, stood around saying “you know those vaccines won’t help against the variants, and those variants are already everywhere, and if you think you’ll ever sit inside and eat at a restaurant again, you should have your head examined….” This particular psychology I find both utterly simple and totally mysterious: simple, because people love judging others like they love the sea, the sun, and the sky, and mysterious, because it’s such an oddly specific set of tics and slogans that have been communally developed, as though lovely virus meme talk is being injected into their skulls through the apparatus from The Matrix. Relative risk assessment is privilege; “sticking to the science” means hewing always to the error bars on the worst side; your mask is your true face; there is never not some new danger lurking around the corner that you must treat as immensely serious no matter how speculative it might be. The crime is not believing that better times are here. The crime is wanting better times to be here.

You would think the introduction of highly effective vaccines would dramatically alter the rhetoric for all of us. Yet for some of our loudest warriors, it has not. Not at all.

I think civic life is a requirement of democracy: human beings must regularly interact with those they would not ever socialize with by choice to remind themselves that they are part of a politic that is bigger than themselves, that out there lies the vast beating heart of people they do not know and would not particularly like if they did, but who are owed all the same rights and opportunities as they themselves. The country needs that. You need that. I need that. We need to go to the bank and wait on line and grumble at the impossible sloth of the people doing their transactions ahead of us, and when we are strong enough we need to forgive them. Because democracy is not a set of rights but a single responsibility, which is the responsibility to respect the lives of those around you as you value yours yourself. This is unachievable; it is your responsibility nonetheless. To really feel this profound obligation you have to see other faces. I was already desperately afraid for this basic facet of a healthy civil society before Covid, with all of our apps and gadgets and services designed to sever us from strangers. And now the Covid moralist says, never again. You must live in a bubble, away from them, and even worse from many that you love, and even your bare desire to be free of this brutal hindrance is disordered. I don’t think speech is ever violence, but this is an era in which a misplaced emoji is considered violence. Yet this is not violence. “Say goodbye forever” is not violence.

Two of 2020’s biggest stories, Covid and George Floyd, brought the question of public moralizing to the forefront of my consciousness, and I can’t get rid of it. We need responses to socially undesirable behavior that aren’t legal in nature, which means sometimes we must bring social censure to bear. And I’m glad that a grudging and partial taboo arose in 2020 about wearing a mask when appropriate, just as I’m grateful that we have at least grudgingly and partially adopted a taboo against the most naked and awful displays of interpersonal racism. And yet in both cases it seems clear to me that something has gone badly wrong. In neither case is moralism working to create a moral world; in both the heavy hand of judgment merely sharpens the teeth of opposition and somehow steals from us our ability to see each specific situation with virgin and curious eyes. I am not a joiner, and there are many like me, and we would like a society that is both moral and free, one that brings all of social judgment’s meager powers to bear on plague denial and racism both, but without forgoing the indispensable human quality of discrimination. We would like to feel free to think before we judge. And I would like to run my hand unafraid through the tall wheat of humanity in the golden field that is this city once again before I die….

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my body has accepted the power of pfizer willingly and with pure joy

over 12 hours later and no negative effects beyond the usual slightly sore arm

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

triple sulk posted:

my body has accepted the power of pfizer willingly and with pure joy

over 12 hours later and no negative effects beyond the usual slightly sore arm

first or second time?

first time for me was uneventful. second shot is not as fun.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

poo poo we've got a breach of the gleeb greenwald thread containment zone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

first or second time?

first time for me was uneventful. second shot is not as fun.

second shot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

triple sulk posted:

second shot

well then gently caress u

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

gleeb greenwald

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

prose more purple than a covid ICU patient's face

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

triple sulk bragging about getting injected with sugar water

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

well then gently caress u

i am extremely powerful

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Buy her an account

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lapublichealth/status/1389368093739130886?s=20

The largest most powerful state in the union is nearly free

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Love to see Zoomers putting that internet bullying training to good use.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Insanite posted:

I will never make the mistake of trusting this society again

it is worthless, riddled with rot

on a related note, what are this thread’s thoughts on seeking routine dental care as a vaxxed person with unvaxxed household members right now?

Avoid making out with the dentist just to be safe.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

when vaccines do their job and get cases down, it makes sense to take the PPE off. i mean, go hog wild whatever before then, but antiPPE measures while cases are surging like mad here is pretty laughable. not sure where that random substack user is or what their personal situation is, but its pretty funny to me from my POV.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

quote:

And I would like to run my hand unafraid through the tall wheat of humanity in the golden field that is this city once again before I die….

holy poo poo lmao is this an actual human being or a lizardperson

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raine posted:

holy poo poo lmao is this an actual human being or a lizardperson

he was a guy who posted so hard he owned himself off the internet

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mycomancy posted:

Love to see Zoomers putting that internet bullying training to good use.

the dirtbag left's influence cannot be stopped

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
things in king county WA are looking up :smith:

deaths definitely look decoupled which is an improvement in a sense.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lmao they’re really gonna do it, they’re gonna make it a mental disorder and make you get therapy for it

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1389241103812026369?s=21
lol really

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

i still think its weird that so many op eds have been written about the TRAUMA of being "scolded" for going to applebees or whatever. Some weird unexamined self-image issues apparent there

sorry someone hurt your little feelings about a deadly virus

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sphyre posted:

pfizer 2, folks: it's unpleasant
lol my wife got hers, was talking about how it wasn't poo poo, then of course got laid out the whole next day
fuckin owned

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

RedQueen posted:

side thought but i wonder who came up with the phrase “vaccine hesitant” because it stuck, but doesn’t actually tell you how many people might change their mind vs how many they know won’t change it

pollster: will you get vaccinated?
American: absolutely never gently caress that you’ll have to kill me first
pollster: ok we’ll file you under ‘hesitant’

the truly hesitant have steadily declined since the pfizer results were announced in november

the absolutely never gently caress that etc. have been a steady, solid ~1/4 for at least six months

https://civiqs.com/results/coronavirus_vaccine?annotations=true&uncertainty=true&zoomIn=true

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pfizer 1 & 2 failed to affect me further than a sore arm. hoping that round 3 of the slut juice whenever the CDC approves it will have me laid out with my legs spread

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my uncle got his vaccine which is shocking since he's not a chud, he's just stubborn and was like, no way do i trust trump and biden to make a working vaccine, i'm just gonna stay inside for the next two years

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Business Gorillas posted:

If you don't like to have to spend your time in pointless meetings looking like you're paying attention instead of doomscrolling with your camera off, you may have CAVE SYNDROME
:lol:

just loling that i was stuck in a VERY IMPORTANT ZOOM CALL during the trump insurrection
i doubt i was alone in not paying attention to the meeting and instead having 5+ livestreams loaded up watching it play out

cash crab posted:

also, side note: is it so unusual to watch millions of people die of a completely preventable disease and also feel pretty bummed out about it, and maybe... not want to go out?

like if covid disappeared tomorrow i would not go out to celebrate. i would stay inside and mourn because imho people dying is bad
:same: although i wouldn't mourn because i'm crackpinged past that at this point
it's one of the reasons why i just laugh my rear end off when i read/hear this sort of poo poo,
President Biden offered Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu his “profound condolences” on Friday after more than 40 people were killed and more than 100 injured in a stampede during a religious celebration on Thursday evening.
or other words on the latest murder cop or school shooting, when oh you know, 700-900 daily preventable covid deaths is just acceptable now

just gently caress it give me that cave syndrome status

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao that's the factor huh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

he was a guy who posted so hard he owned himself off the internet

Oh no, not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the man who pwned the world

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Real Mean Queen posted:

Do you think that on month four or five of the blitz, a bunch of people were like “well it can’t possibly still be happening” and started going back to normal? What was wrong with the people that didn’t?

In the first several months after Pearl Harbour, New York City refused to turn off the lights at night for tourism reasons, even though the lighting made it easier for Nazi submarines to torpedo American vessels off the coast. The Germans called it "American Hunting Season". 6,000 sailors died.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Schnorkles posted:

I think its 100% clear that the new variants are significantly more contagious among children

or it's the same additive effect, because children were never not less contagious than adults

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

shackleford posted:

the truly hesitant have steadily declined since the pfizer results were announced in november

the absolutely never gently caress that etc. have been a steady, solid ~1/4 for at least six months

https://civiqs.com/results/coronavirus_vaccine?annotations=true&uncertainty=true&zoomIn=true

That chart directly puts the lie to the "you deserve a cookie" argument. It doesn't impact things at all, or you would have seen that unsure line making more jumps downward.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Gary Glenfall thread says you guys can't handle the truth. Have at it.

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/is-covid-moralism-forever

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ruggan posted:

yeah seriously you see these videos of anti mask idiots protesting our freedoms and it’s insanely juxtaposed by the cnn video of some poor Indian woman flatlining in a ward that is hellaciously understaffed and crammed full of people experiencing miserable suffering

based on how my job is pushing "help donate to the covid response in india" poo poo, all of a sudden my more :freep: gland is saying that the signal boosting of India is part of a way to make covid a thing that happens "over there" to "those people" again

go back to brunch, it'll never happen here!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

cash crab posted:

yep, don't know why i continued watching past the two-minute mark but i really regret it
loving hell world indeed this is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

mdemone posted:

all right goons post the link to your favorite respirator, I'm taking the plunge

I've been using a Honeywell 7700 plus P100 filters Since last Feb. I did just order a RU85001, because of that goon who linked this site that has them for a good price. A speech diaphragm should really help with the respirator mumbling problem, especially if I have to wear it to work soon.

I like the 3m filters more than the north one. 7039 filters are fully protected from water, while the North ones can get wet if sprayed directly. But I bought a North mask in my initial scramble to get PPE last year, and the RU8001 is the only half mask with a diaphragm. You can click my post history for a couple posts on how to cover the exhaust port on the 7700 if you wind up buying one.