Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cat Face Joe posted:

remember when you guys were super into sous vide

i still use mine sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ive only ever made creme brule with mine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i like to buy meat in bulk and then portion, season, vacuum seal, and freeze it. then when i want something ez i just pull one out and toss it in the sous vide

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i still think sous vide is gross

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

i like to buy meat in bulk and then portion, season, vacuum seal, and freeze it. then when i want something ez i just pull one out and toss it in the sous vide

yeah i have frozen steaks in the freezer, its v easy to throw one directly in there and it comes out pretty good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

reckon you can just put a pot of water on top of your windows machine and dinner's ready 2 hours later yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

I have one of these and it is very good. It is probably my favourite kitchen tool. my wife doesn't get it

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Multi-pu...0102371&sr=8-27

its great for scraping poo poo into neat piles and transferring stuff from eg a chopping board to the pan. its good

looks like a knife

I like cleaver style knifes. “chefs” knives can eat poo poo as far as I am concerned

Gentle Autist posted:

i know the internet thinks cast iron is so great for some reason but its really not as good as just a good quality stainless steel pan (i have high-sided cuisinart pans and they are good)

they are annoying to clean and all the 'seasoning' poo poo is not worth the effort. and yes I am dumb and annoying but that doesn't detract from my point

the reality is I manage to cook without loving up food much better on a cast iron than the stainless steel pan I also have. still fat? yep

Cat Face Joe posted:

remember when you guys were super into sous vide

never

fart simpson posted:

get yourself one of these imo

yep this is the poo poo

mine is less intense. like this :

lol a supermarket in nz did a thing collect stamps get knives and I got 4 of those. some people complain they don’t keep their edge for long but they’re fine and the benefit of that is that sharpening is super fast and cos all metal, nothing to break down. i’ll have these forever

what food do i cook? oh poo poo i don’t normally bother for myself. cook for my kids. tonight i don’t have kids so i’ll get kfc probably because idgaf about life lmao

Shaggar posted:

drat i want a vacuum sealer

but mostly in case i ever get bothered to grow portobello mushrooms again

rotor posted:

i still think sous vide is gross

it makes the least appealing looking food ever

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lake of Methane posted:

hell yeah we're rounding the corner into tree-bean salad season

yum
bean

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

chefs knives can eat poo poo. anyway here's my chefs knife

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i only use cleavers, but would be interested if one of you could teach me how to use a mezzaluna

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i like eating food

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

:argh: its a santoku :argh: not a chefs knife :argh: its a slightly different shape :argh:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xposting this pizza i made yesterday

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

heres my controversial yospos food take:

pizza really isnt that great and people get way too worked up about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like yeah, it's fine. but good lord.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good pizza is food heroin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats not to say its a fine food. anything but. its just hits all those food requirements to dump as much dopamine in the brain as possible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the #1 thing pizza has going for it is browned melted cheese

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
margheritas are fine as a snack next to a peroni but if you expect me to split a 12" marg for dinner we're gonna be pickin up chicken nuggets or chalupas at like 10:17 PM

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I'll eat raw onion if i want to. no forums nerd is going to stop me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

margheritas are fine as a snack next to a peroni but if you expect me to split a 12" marg for dinner we're gonna be pickin up chicken nuggets or chalupas at like 10:17 PM

:hai:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
im fat

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Now that I’ve got a decent grain storage setup in the cellar I’m back to just milling my own wheat as needed. Got a bread starter going again and it seems pretty healthy now, won’t be long ‘til I’m making fresh bread from scratch on the reg :yum:

Been making my own cultured butter and buttermilk for well over a year now and highly recommend it, the smell alone is amazing.

* 1 quart of heavy whipping cream divided into 3 mason jars
* 1 tbsp of kefir in each, cheese cloth secured on top
* set on counter for about 3 days or so, smelling them occasionally (if it’s gone sideways it’s pretty obvious)
* everything combined into a stand mixer bowl, making sure to get as much as the solid bits as possible
* mix on a slow speed in the mixer with a whisk attachment and a towel covering things, there will be splashing
* mix until said splashing occurs, indicating that solids have separated
* pour everything into another bowl covered in a straining bag, such that the bag holds all the solids
* strain whatever liquids out that you can, into the bowl. This is your buttermilk! Should be about a pint
* put the solids into a cold metal bowl and cover with ice cold water
* knead the solids like dough, the water should get milky
* pour out the water and replace it with some more ice cold water
* knead some more, repeating the cold water replacement until the water no longer gets milky when you knead
* voila! These solids are your fresh cultured butter batch. I wind up with about a pound I think but that’s just a guess

For the buttermilk I’ll usually do one of two things:
* a loaf of buttermilk soda bread (don’t have the recipe memorized just yet but can post it later)
* chill the buttermilk in the fridge overnight, then add a tiny bit of vanilla extract, some citrus zest, and a few tbsp of sugar to make a sweet warm weather snack

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

like yeah, it's fine. but good lord.

agreed

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
its not a knife cos it’s not sharp, the edge is square. they are also known as dough knives which is annoying but they are used in commercial kitchens o think to help with scooping up dough then quickly cutting it into smaller loaves/buns

i got the idea after seeing them in use on bake off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl70qh52t9k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

its not a knife cos it’s not sharp, the edge is square. they are also known as dough knives which is annoying but they are used in commercial kitchens o think to help with scooping up dough then quickly cutting it into smaller loaves/buns

i got the idea after seeing them in use on bake off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl70qh52t9k

jesus mate how much bread do you drown

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I know those as “bench scrapers”, dunno if it’s a US English term specifically or not. Supper essential if you’re doing a high-hydration bread and the dough’s all goopy and tacky

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bloody posted:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
gonna put a bunch of marmite into some rice tonight

love that gross british food thing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

thinking about an instant pot
instant pot or other quality pressure cooker is a really good thing if you like to make curries/stews etc. we also keep and use a rice cooker for multi-lane drifting

pressureluck.com is a recipe site i can attest to. otherwise be careful of online ip recipes some of them are very wack and outdated. you don't want that burn indicator to trip

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
we’ve been cooking vegetarian at my house for a while. I hope you like textured soy protein

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

we’ve been cooking vegetarian at my house for a while. I hope you like textured soy protein

i do, yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
cooking with an immersion circulator is great

the problem is that it's like. one step in a cooking process, not the end-all be-all like some people like to think. makes the best fuckin pork chops i swear to god

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to learn to make a good vegan chili

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bloody posted:

chopped raw white onion goes on a garbage plate. it's great

:hmmyes:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I need to learn to make a good vegan chili

you can use tvp, finely chopped nuts, beans, or some combination of the above to replace the meat.

the absolute biggest thing you can do to make a good chili is to grind your chili powder fresh by buying good dried chiles and whole cumin.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve never seen a cumin before

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i have two shakers of it for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007
Probation