Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m interested in Spidey 3 but idk if I’m gonna want to see it in a packed theater, and will happily miss the rest of them. maybe eventually catch Eternals off usenet (and only because I’m a Kumail simp)

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:28 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

I’m interested in Spidey 3 but idk if I’m gonna want to see it in a packed theater, and will happily miss the rest of them. maybe eventually catch Eternals off usenet (and only because I’m a Kumail simp)

Alice Wetterlund has said Kumail is a pretty big shitbag fwiw.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I suppose I wouldn’t be surprised but I’ve hung out with him before (mutual friends [also this was 10+ years ago]) and he was really cool. as long as he isn’t a sex monster I’m willing to accept that fame has made him a shithead

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I wanna rub my face on his new bionic abs

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
All right movie industry, I'mma gonna give you a billion dollar idea, based upon how DesertIslandHermit wants to tap out.

Every few years, like 3 to 4, don't make any new big budget movies.
Take a break and let people catch up.

Instead just put all the old movies back into theaters.
And it will work too. You get to double dip. Theaters should also be turned into mini toy stores for those movies.
Maybe add in a couple little loving extra scenes, or have interviews with creators.

Seriously those superhero movies on their own are loving unmilked cows.

Movies that aren't some big budget ejaculation of special effects are worthless now.
"The theater experience" is close enough to be affordable for almost everybody now in their home.

That low brow comedy movie, - Just stream it at home with out any body else there to ruin the flick.
That romance movie, - Streaming.
Documentaries. - Steam.
Those movies where the main character is an outsider to a sub-culture but then rises up to be the best. - S
Those deep introspective movies about what it means to be alive. - Steaming it SO HARD!

What really matters for theaters is that community aspect.

Movies that semi require a sort of community around them still get to go into theaters.
It's the Rocky Horror Picture show effect

So your cult classic, throw in the warriors, and old rear end western movies, ya know: Theaters rear end Theater movies.
Star Wars. Rockys. Terminators. Harry Potter.
You can space out harry potter over the course of a year, and then start it up again at the beginning of the new year.

Other movies that get to be in theaters.
Kids movies, for baby sitting.
Re-release the first Toy Story. Kids will watch it.
Parents know they are watching something "safe" as opposed to another shrek movie.

Kung Fu flicks.

A good amount of horror movies can stay.
Cuz horror movies buffs are whiny enough to put down the dollar for the "theater experience."

Movie theaters were never about art, they were about going somewhere and being "cool" on weekend nights.
A lazy art form where you sit down, and shut up. Plays, and concerts require more work.
Movies are like Church, Operas, or symphonies.
Something to talk about during dinner.

Honestly: It is amazing how much effort people still put into films.
Pre-Pandemic, you could have made a 2 hour film about the Kardashians, and it would have made money.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

comedies are way better in the theater

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

wild to think theres a whole generation of casual fans who think badass drill sergent black green lanterns the real green lantern and are just bewildered as to why the suits are trying to push very boring generic white green lantern on them instead

He is the best Green Lantern

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wrongo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This is the best green lantern

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i enjoyed chernobyl on the balance but it was extremely funny whenever *schniff* ideology pushed the actual plot down so they could show how ~bad and dangerous~ Soviet government was or make nuclear power look like an actual slasher villain, like the shoe factory line or completely making poo poo up about how radiation worked to make the fireman’s wifes story extra tragic

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

hey get this there's a whole world of amazing movies out there, you do not have to watch super hero poo poo or really more broadly anything driven by IP

Whoa no poo poo drat

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

i got somethin to say! i'm being caaaancelled!

I got something to say
I got shadow banned today
And it doesn't matter much to me
I'll never be read

Sweet lovely death
I am waiting for your thread
Lovely death one last tweet thread

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pricepeterson/status/1389423773808431106?s=20

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i enjoyed chernobyl on the balance but it was extremely funny whenever *schniff* ideology pushed the actual plot down so they could show how ~bad and dangerous~ Soviet government was or make nuclear power look like an actual slasher villain, like the shoe factory line or completely making poo poo up about how radiation worked to make the fireman’s wifes story extra tragic

the worst scene is definitely the one where we are supposed to feel bad for the old nazi lady because they have to shoot her irradiated cow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

My favorite part of Chernobyl is how Emma Watson plays a fictional composite character of numerous scientists. It was my first time ever hearing of the term 'composite character' and sounded like to me that she was 50 scientists merged into the form of a single woman.

Actually kinda what happens sometimes, the og Van Helsing comes to mind as he was basically like three or four consulting experts merged together into one character with a ridiculous array of skills

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the worst scene is definitely the one where we are supposed to feel bad for the old nazi lady because they have to shoot her irradiated cow

Lol she's specifically like I survived COMMUNIST STALINS INTENTIONAL HOLODOMOR and I will survive this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer12 posted:

Lol she's specifically like I survived COMMUNIST STALINS INTENTIONAL HOLODOMOR and I will survive this

I mean, it's a work of fiction, right? :agesilaus:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

paul_soccer12 posted:

What could even be like the American equivalent of that whole exchange?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

What could even be like the American equivalent of that whole exchange?

saying happy holidays in 2017, mask ordinance 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The funny part about it is that despite trying to make the Soviets look bad they still come out looking preferable to America. They learn of the problem, and immediately do everything necessary to stop it and prevent further damage all while heeding the advice of the scientific community. The U.S. has failed to do any of those things with multiple events before, during, and since the show aired. It actually makes you depressed because you realize that if a disaster of a similar magnitude happened in America tomorrow we're all screwed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

if a disaster of a similar magnitude happened in America tomorrow we're all screwed.

that already happened

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RIP Olympia Dukakis :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E8DQSHkhGE

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theres something genuinely horrifying about how general frasier acts like those numbers are somehow shameful

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

galagazombie posted:

The funny part about it is that despite trying to make the Soviets look bad they still come out looking preferable to America. They learn of the problem, and immediately do everything necessary to stop it and prevent further damage all while heeding the advice of the scientific community. The U.S. has failed to do any of those things with multiple events before, during, and since the show aired. It actually makes you depressed because you realize that if a disaster of a similar magnitude happened in America tomorrow we're all screwed.

Miners in Russia: strip off and tunnel into reactor to prevent tragedy and death of thousands

Equivalent miners in America: I ain't doing that. I don't even think this radiation thing is real. In fact, I think it's probably good for you. Don't you try and take away ma freedomz

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nonathlon posted:

Miners in Russia: strip off and tunnel into reactor to prevent tragedy and death of thousands

Equivalent miners in America: I ain't doing that. I don't even think this radiation thing is real. In fact, I think it's probably good for you. Don't you try and take away ma freedomz

you forget though those miners were good guys because they are hard scrabble salt of the earth types who see through the absurdity of the soviet state bureaucracy with their down home no nonsense ways

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
America would totally force prisoners to dig to the reactor without any pay or medical compensation.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
several years ago i learned a lot about chernobyl and enjoyed educating/irritating people about the timeline of the experiment and the errors that the engineers made

now my knowledge is commonplace, so i don't look as cool/annoying anymore. goddamn those HBO bastards

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

you forget though those miners were good guys because they are hard scrabble salt of the earth types who see through the absurdity of the soviet state bureaucracy with their down home no nonsense ways

The Soviet Machine joke was incredible....

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
So the fiancé and I are watching Pose S2 and while it’s not super great (I did like S1) it got me thinking…are there any good documentaries about the NY ball culture? Its super fascinating to me but I know very little about it outside the show and 2nd hand stories from old drag queens I know lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yes check out PARIS IS BURNING which is streaming on criterion and i think you can also find it on youtube

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yes check out PARIS IS BURNING which is streaming on criterion and i think you can also find it on youtube

oh poo poo, I’ve heard of it but never knew what it was about. thank you so much!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

paul_soccer12 posted:

the funniest part about the whole minister of mining scene is that not only did it never happen, the actual minister IRL was, themselves, a veteran coal miner who understood and cared about the workers concerns

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/cathyreisenwitz/status/1389078255517327361?s=21

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bylines in TechCrunch, Daily Beast, The Week, Reason, etc.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I’m watching the King of the Hill for the first time and I have feelings. I understand the viewer is supposed to laugh at some of these characters. But I must say it feels gross, as an exceedingly educated gifted person, to laugh at poor dumb characters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I had a similar reaction to King of the Hill but it’s because none of the jokes were funny

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i watched all of deadwood and its good

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the funniest part about the whole minister of mining scene is that not only did it never happen, the actual minister IRL was, themselves, a veteran coal miner who understood and cared about the workers concerns
of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

indigi posted:

I had a similar reaction to King of the Hill but it’s because none of the jokes were funny

that's a 'you' problem, sorry