Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

I got to play Celeste for free and Epic paid the developer $750k for it, so that is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

sebmojo posted:

This is somehow the best games thread idgi either

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Games is usually alright, but when its bad ohhhhh boy lol

way too many megathreads imo but im not sure how you even get around that at all

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think it might be just a thing about the mechanics of forums that make megathreads more appealing to people than just making a new thread. people will ignore a dumb post but making dumb threads is a lot more disruptive in general, or they just never get any attention due to the bookmark system. megathreads do encourage more diverse discussion instead of having to worry about being On Topic, which i think is more appealing at this level of forum activity where having eight different threads with the same clutch of posters is maybe just a waste.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Good soup! posted:

Games is usually alright, but when its bad ohhhhh boy lol

way too many megathreads imo but im not sure how you even get around that at all

its all about just sliding into a game you like and then just slowly dying

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Games is fine imo

It has the good mix of people who hate games and only get enjoyment by trash talking them and people who think games are fine art comparible to history's greats and coincidentally have never read a book or seen a non superhero movie.

That creates a perfect ecosystem

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

welp,

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Games is fine imo

It has the good mix of people who hate games and only get enjoyment by trash talking them and people who think games are fine art comparible to history's greats and coincidentally have never read a book or seen a non superhero movie.

That creates a perfect ecosystem

There's a 3rd group that buy and play every new game that comes out full price

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There are still some things Steam can do that the Epic store can’t.

edit: I read threads in games sometimes, but a lot of time specific games I wanna hear about just don’t have threads, also I usually don’t want to bookmark a thread in games that I read regularly so every time I’m there it’s because I wanna hear opinions about something specific; like I was hoping for a Balan Wonderworld one because of that game being a hot mess. I’m also pretty content to lurk there because I haven’t played the games I’m looking for a lot of the time.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 13:01 on May 4, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fleetwood posted:

I took a flyer on Zombie Army 4 bc it was free on PSN and it turned into a three day binge, pretty awesome game

yeah its a pretty obvious conversion of sniper elite but its cool

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There's a 3rd group that buy and play every new game that comes out full price

Those fall under the first category, surely?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

What’s the deal with “The Imp Zone” is it just more curated threads about games? I really only am active at all in CSPAM because who has the time?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Afaik it was meant to be a chill subforum where you don't be mean about nintendo but only like 13 people post there and all the posts are

"games are good"

Empty quoted a bunch of times

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

What’s the deal with “The Imp Zone” is it just more curated threads about games? I really only am active at all in CSPAM because who has the time?

the imp zone is a custom map or "WAD" for the 1993 computer video game DOOM, op

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think it might be just a thing about the mechanics of forums that make megathreads more appealing to people than just making a new thread. people will ignore a dumb post but making dumb threads is a lot more disruptive in general, or they just never get any attention due to the bookmark system. megathreads do encourage more diverse discussion instead of having to worry about being On Topic, which i think is more appealing at this level of forum activity where having eight different threads with the same clutch of posters is maybe just a waste.

idk some games threads feel like they're just full of people who have 5,000 hours in the game being discussed, and want everyone else to discuss and play the game like they have already or intend to dump 5,000 hours into it. like not bad, but just not suited for people who games is still their hobby but their hobby is a few hours a week

its like most forums things where youre like "hey bike goons i want to buy an ok cheap bike to ride a few miles once a month" and everything starts with "step 0: how to survey for site work for a foundation for your new shed for your bike production line/maintenance empire"

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Afaik it was meant to be a chill subforum where you don't be mean about nintendo but only like 13 people post there and all the posts are

"games are good"

Empty quoted a bunch of times

games are good

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i think the wow subforum is one of my favs cause the lore thread is one of the most vicious threads on SA and people act like if an orc kills an elf that happend in real life, so if you cheered it on thats cheering on a hate crime murder.

then the other threads are mostly wow lifers who literally havent missed a weekly chore quest since they were invented, don't like the game anymore but don't know how to live without it. they say things like "i've played every day since 2004 but i'm just not feeling it anymore. its a shame but maybe its about time..." (they dont quit)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheMightyBoops posted:

the 'zone is about funny cool positive posts about gaming, if you disagree you get flamed to all hell and back

it's like if you gave byob a grey forum and also gave them nukes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

forget it jake, its fyadtown

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

i think the wow subforum is one of my favs cause the lore thread is one of the most vicious threads on SA and people act like if an orc kills an elf that happend in real life, so if you cheered it on thats cheering on a hate crime murder.

then the other threads are mostly wow lifers who literally havent missed a weekly chore quest since they were invented, don't like the game anymore but don't know how to live without it. they say things like "i've played every day since 2004 but i'm just not feeling it anymore. its a shame but maybe its about time..." (they dont quit)

PSO 2 was the first actual mmo I played (I also played Destiny 2 for awhile before Bungie overhauled it after its split from Activision) and I know you don’t have to do everything, but even trying to minimally optimize the loop of quest to sell and store items to upgrade equipment was just too much for me to want to do in my free time, a game like MH has some of this, but oh boy is an mmo just too much for me.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the 'zone is about funny cool positive posts about gaming, if you disagree you get flamed to all hell and back

it's like if you gave byob a grey forum and also gave them nukes

Every grey forum should have nukes. Fyad gets bioweapons

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Imp zone is real good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723669&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806241&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Are just great

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

witchy posted:

Every grey forum should have nukes. Fyad gets bioweapons

Boss, are you familiar with the concept of Mutual Assured Destruction?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Goodbye forever ...
Who: Gold
Source: [Lost Silver]
Notes: In a non-canon hack game based off of Pokemon Gold/Silver, Gold progresses through what appears to be a netherlife, experiencing the chance to relive his life. After defeating the ghost of Red, he confronts the form of his old self, who says this line before vanishing, and killing himself. The game ends with a grave that states the words "I'M DEAD", heavily implying that the character has died.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

huh i always thought imp zone was like the new YCS except everybody grew up

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Byob would only set off nukes in space to appreciate how cool they look

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Benagain posted:

Byob would only set off nukes in space to appreciate how cool they look

Caught beneath the landslide, of a Raytheon supernova in the sky-y

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My wife is using the PS4 during the day so I need to use the Switch so now I’m going through 2 Star Oceans at the same time and it’s melting my brain:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good soup! posted:

Goodbye forever ...
Who: Gold
Source: [Lost Silver]
Notes: In a non-canon hack game based off of Pokemon Gold/Silver, Gold progresses through what appears to be a netherlife, experiencing the chance to relive his life. After defeating the ghost of Red, he confronts the form of his old self, who says this line before vanishing, and killing himself. The game ends with a grave that states the words "I'M DEAD", heavily implying that the character has died.

lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

but oh boy is an mmo just too much for me.

the moment when it dawns on you that you could have spent all that time playing mmos doing literally anything else instead, and your life would have been dramatically better for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

i am harry posted:

the moment when it dawns on you that you could have spent all that time playing mmos doing literally anything else instead, and your life would have been dramatically better for it.

I mean you could have been playing dota

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I beat Theseus and the Minotaur! It feels like an Ornstein and Smough moment, not only being a tough duo but heralding the proper second half of the game.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i am harry posted:

fishing in ffxiv is more fun than the rest of ffxiv

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Breakfast All Day posted:

idk some games threads feel like they're just full of people who have 5,000 hours in the game being discussed, and want everyone else to discuss and play the game like they have already or intend to dump 5,000 hours into it. like not bad, but just not suited for people who games is still their hobby but their hobby is a few hours a week

its like most forums things where youre like "hey bike goons i want to buy an ok cheap bike to ride a few miles once a month" and everything starts with "step 0: how to survey for site work for a foundation for your new shed for your bike production line/maintenance empire"

Yeah I can’t really read games because the threads are all extreeeemely inside baseball, to the point where I’m a guy intentionally trying to read about a video game on the internet and I’m still going “yeesh, this is too much about this video game.”

I like the kind of generalized nature of this thread, it’s more approachable and more fun to read than page eight thousand of very serious discussion about a specific game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I also love how casual spoilers get dropped here and nobody flips out which is not the case in games

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I also love how casual spoilers get dropped here and nobody flips out which is not the case in games

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh excuse me but not EVERYBODY knows that dante and vergil are brothers. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
honestly into the idea of my grave just saying I'm Dead

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly into the idea of my grave just saying I'm Dead

It would heavily imply that you had died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I've been playing Subnautica and loving the sense of dread and terror when deep diving at night. I feel like I'm progressing pretty slowly but it's a blast so far.