Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Gaius Marius posted:

The ps4 xone generation was one of the worst gens for games since the seventies. Almost zero good games released for a decade. Indie games somehow got worse. And the amount of terrible hd ports and remakes hit an all time high

Yeah sure and yet it still managed to be better than the ps360 gen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i was talking with my friend today about how there's no such thing as nerds anymore because normal people watch anime now and Marvel and Star Wars are the biggest franchises ever, but reading this discussion about The Sleeper shows me how totally loving wrong I was and thank God for that

hey don't call me an everquest nerd
I'm only 25, I'm not even old enough to have played EQ when it was relevant

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Everquest owned

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
really I'm just hoping to make some goons suddenly feel extremely old

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Normal people do not watch anime

Times have changed, bithc!!!

The people love anime.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Everquest kicked rear end. Everything in the world could just kill you and it was scary to go a few zones away from town. WoW showed up and made everything totally bitchmade. If you died in EQ before getting your corpse you would lose every piece of gear that you had equipped, its like a horror game hoping that one mob doesn't see you because chances are it could beat the poo poo out of you unless you were like 12 levels higher than it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I hate 98% of anime but you can't say it's not normal anymore. A quick google search for celebrities favorite animes show how mainstream that poo poo is now. Michael B Jordan is way into Naruto and Zac Effron is a Death Note fan. Avril Lavigne likes One Piece and ended up doing a couple songs for one of the movies. It's nuts.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Normal people do not watch anime

Similarly, Castle in the Sky (1986) grossed a total of approximately $156 million in combined box office, home video and soundtrack sales, and Akira (1988) earned $80 million in home video sales.
Highest-grossing anime films worldwide.
Rank 2
Title Spirited Away
Studio Studio Ghibli
Worldwide gross $395,580,000
Year 2001

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Everquest kicked rear end. Everything in the world could just kill you and it was scary to go a few zones away from town. WoW showed up and made everything totally bitchmade. If you died in EQ before getting your corpse you would lose every piece of gear that you had equipped, its like a horror game hoping that one mob doesn't see you because chances are it could beat the poo poo out of you unless you were like 12 levels higher than it.

I mained a rogue and hide/sneaking through high level zones was always thrilling as hell, never knowing if you were gonna run into something with see invis

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Similarly, Castle in the Sky (1986) grossed a total of approximately $156 million in combined box office, home video and soundtrack sales, and Akira (1988) earned $80 million in home video sales.
Highest-grossing anime films worldwide.
Rank 2
Title Spirited Away
Studio Studio Ghibli
Worldwide gross $395,580,000
Year 2001

Studio Ghibli films are not anime

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

Rude

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I mained a rogue and hide/sneaking through high level zones was always thrilling as hell, never knowing if you were gonna run into something with see invis

I played a druid and used to charm animals to fight for me, which would randomly become uncharmed and eat my face

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fridge corn posted:

not only are studio ghibli films anime, but they are also the same kind of anime that their creator looks down on

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Meme Poker Party posted:

Times have changed, bithc!!!

The people love anime.

Well, metal illness is becoming more accepted

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Akira/Otomo and Miyazaki stuff doesn't count as anime because it's actually good, unlike basically all other anime which is entertainment for demented mutants not even a mother could love.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If it's good = not anime
Everything else = probably for pedophiles

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sorry, maybe I misinterpreted.

We should get this guy back in here to explain what he meant!!!

Why are there rules to magic?

Why did that one guy go "No, it's too hard for devs to make a game where there's a fire magic spell that makes you go fast, you'd have to have some complex rune system"? It's so ingrained in us that 'go fast = wind magic' that even deviating the 'element' it's associated with is brain breaking.

Like it's 'the power to do whatever your imagination creates' and yet even keeping within the realm of 'elements' people are lost.

A guy who has gravity magic can travel via gravity. He can teleport beneath anything that gets lifted up, with the distance increasing with the size of the object. That isn't hard to program, or hard to understand, or really much of a creative stretch 'at all'. But it definitely isn't showing up in a computer game ever, because teleport is either a scroll, lightning or mental magic (which can also make a 'telekinetic shield' or make you go invisible) or at a push related to shadows.

These things aren't real. Magic is literally 'whatever you can think of'. Why does everyone always stick so hard to a coda about it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah I hate 98% of anime but you can't say it's not normal anymore. A quick google search for celebrities favorite animes show how mainstream that poo poo is now. Michael B Jordan is way into Naruto and Zac Effron is a Death Note fan. Avril Lavigne likes One Piece and ended up doing a couple songs for one of the movies. It's nuts.

One Piece doesn't count as anime, it's an epic pirate saga about best friends and their magical fruit-based powers oh wait gently caress that's anime as hell

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah there's a big difference between watching AN anime and watching anime.

The difference is degeneracy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

One Piece doesn't count as anime, it's an epic pirate saga about best friends and their magical fruit-based powers oh wait gently caress that's anime as hell

There's a dude who uses three katanas. All at once. That's gotta be way over the anime line.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miyazakis entire œuvre is good looking but intensely mediocre movies. Spirited away and nausicaa are the only two that can actually be considered good. Yuasa, oshii, and kon are all more talented directors objectively.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I tried to watch princess monoke and spirited away and they were kinda alright but they are also 2 hours long movies and lmao if you weren't falling asleep by minute 20

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

!Klams posted:

Why are there rules to magic?

Why did that one guy go "No, it's too hard for devs to make a game where there's a fire magic spell that makes you go fast, you'd have to have some complex rune system"? It's so ingrained in us that 'go fast = wind magic' that even deviating the 'element' it's associated with is brain breaking.

Like it's 'the power to do whatever your imagination creates' and yet even keeping within the realm of 'elements' people are lost.

A guy who has gravity magic can travel via gravity. He can teleport beneath anything that gets lifted up, with the distance increasing with the size of the object. That isn't hard to program, or hard to understand, or really much of a creative stretch 'at all'. But it definitely isn't showing up in a computer game ever, because teleport is either a scroll, lightning or mental magic (which can also make a 'telekinetic shield' or make you go invisible) or at a push related to shadows.

These things aren't real. Magic is literally 'whatever you can think of'. Why does everyone always stick so hard to a coda about it?

Boring people prefer familiarity, and familiarity makes money, and companies want money. Not that hard to figure out why.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yes developers are such boring narrow minded people check this: Teleport but a little different :okpos:

Interesting game mechanics are interesting only in how it affects the gameplay. If your idea originality is to press E to take a poo poo into a chamber pot that's also a dimensional nexus that results in orbital bombardment, well that's just flavor.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is great in how you can utilize magic in funny and emergent ways and it's boilerplate elements go fssshh. Magicka is pretty cool in how the magic is combination of runes you combine on the fly. Except you now have 10 action buttons and the game is trivialized with a macro.

Being able to use established language to communicate to the player how things work is a good thing. There's nothing original about having a haste spell, but calling it relativity magic or whatever the poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I tried to watch princess monoke and spirited away and they were kinda alright but they are also 2 hours long movies and lmao if you weren't falling asleep by minute 20

Haha yeah who can even pay attention to something that's longer than 20 minutes (???)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Haha yeah who can even pay attention to something that's longer than 20 minutes (???)

Someone who would rather fall asleep than watch whatevers on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Someone who would rather fall asleep than watch whatevers on

Are you 80 and/or addicted to opiates and/or alcohol

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

Yes developers are such boring narrow minded people check this: Teleport but a little different :okpos:

Interesting game mechanics are interesting only in how it affects the gameplay. If your idea originality is to press E to take a poo poo into a chamber pot that's also a dimensional nexus that results in orbital bombardment, well that's just flavor.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is great in how you can utilize magic in funny and emergent ways and it's boilerplate elements go fssshh. Magicka is pretty cool in how the magic is combination of runes you combine on the fly. Except you now have 10 action buttons and the game is trivialized with a macro.

Being able to use established language to communicate to the player how things work is a good thing. There's nothing original about having a haste spell, but calling it relativity magic or whatever the poo poo.

I mean I'm explicitly trying to use super dumbed down versions of this with my teleport example because varying even slightly from what people know is obviously pretty hard to deal with.

Established language is useful, yes. The short man with a beard will be bad at magic, but strong and good at crafting. Probably Scottish with a short temper. Cool. Great. I'm glad I don't have to worry about caring about any world building because I can just be spoon fed the same world.

And I think that's basically fine. It's annoying, and dull, but I can appreciate that doing something that's a first person soccer game but with text-adventure style limit-breaks is going to be a hard sell. Yeah, ok, fine.

But Magic? I mean, the whole POINT of it, the whole reason is for it is to be a mcguffin for any crazy ideas you might have. Like a guy can talk to animals, how? MAGIC! Oh ok! And then we carry on with a plot about a guy who talks to animals. I'm saying, I want more crazy out there ideas, more so than 'can talk to animals', or 'can teleport' and then have it explained with 'magic'.

To say " There's nothing original about having a haste spell, but calling it relativity magic or whatever the poo poo" is super reductive, it already happens. Using a turbo powerup in Wip3out is the same as using the haste spell in magic carpet. It's pretty much exactly the same in terms of gameplay, but obviously from the 'flavour' of it, you get a totally different game. The 'whatever the poo poo' is fundamentally the only difference between the two!

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 4, 2021

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Gaius Marius posted:

Miyazakis entire œuvre is good looking but intensely mediocre movies. Spirited away and nausicaa are the only two that can actually be considered good. Yuasa, oshii, and kon are all more talented directors objectively.

I mean I wouldn't go out and order shushishi or whatever, but the Wind Rises was an excellent movie

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor J Off posted:

I mean I wouldn't go out and order shushishi or whatever, but the Wind Rises was an excellent movie

I thought Ponyo was fantastic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are you 80 and/or addicted to opiates and/or alcohol
Having a twenty minute attention span describes zoomer more than boomers tbh. Smartphone have totally destroyed their ability to focus

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

!Klams posted:

I thought Ponyo was fantastic.

Yeah honestly I like all of his movies a whole lot

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Unpopular Videogame Opinions: Anime Anime Anime

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i don't like when people just make flat out "I HATE ANIME" statements, what resonates with me more is people saying "i'm anime curious and i watched about a dozen and they are all just pretty boring" - I can relate to that, Death Note was good for 4 episodes, Attack of the Titan episode 1 has a good 5 minutes but sooner or later all the animes I've seen stop being about cool giant robots and alien lasers and poo poo and try and have actual drama and plot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Waltzing Along posted:

Barf

Gtfo to adtrw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best licensed anime game of all time?

Fighters Z and Budokai Tenkaichi 3

I have a surprising soft spot for Naruto: Rise of the Ninja which was sort of an open world game and only covered the parts of Naruto that were good. Made by Ubisoft so in hindsight, not surprising its a competent open world game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always the same handful of anime defense force posters

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Having a twenty minute attention span describes zoomer more than boomers tbh. Smartphone have totally destroyed their ability to focus

Yeah smartphones and new media have destroyed any ability to focus and ruined the arc of technology as a whole, but boomers are just as affected as anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

Fighters Z and Budokai Tenkaichi 3

I have a surprising soft spot for Naruto: Rise of the Ninja which was sort of an open world game and only covered the parts of Naruto that were good. Made by Ubisoft so in hindsight, not surprising its a competent open world game.

FighterZ no contest, takes all the cool bits of DragonballZ and cuts all the fluff