Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wowshawk posted:

Doesn't Noble Knight carry TTcombat stuff?

They appear to, all though a lot of it is out of stock.

This is not surprising. I've tried to get a couple of FLGS to see if they can order Dropfleet Commander stuff and apparently few US distributors carry TT Combat and what they do carry seems to be very limited. It's frustrating cuz I love Dropfleet and Dropzone but I can't seem to get it anymore.

Rumbleslam looks so cool, too :(

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So I finally bit the bullet. I bought Five Parsecs from Home 3rd edition from Modiphius press. My main hesitancy was paying for shipping from the UK, but I eventually caved.

First impressions (of the included PDF version): The layout is much better than the previous edition! :D Also many more tables, an expanded setting, more post-battle activities, a whole section on starships, nine appendix chapters and some really evocative art. Can't wait for the physical book to show up.

I immediately zoomed into the Inspirations Appendix IX. First a small typo: UFO Enemy UNknown not Enemy Known. Secondly, citing the Foundation series by Asimov? Warp Riders by The Sword? Outstanding taste!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

FrostyPox posted:

They appear to, all though a lot of it is out of stock.

This is not surprising. I've tried to get a couple of FLGS to see if they can order Dropfleet Commander stuff and apparently few US distributors carry TT Combat and what they do carry seems to be very limited. It's frustrating cuz I love Dropfleet and Dropzone but I can't seem to get it anymore.

Rumbleslam looks so cool, too :(

I think this is because TT Combat ceased production of all resins and therefore any larger kit that included resins at the start of the year due to the covid pandemic and not being able to ensure safe working conditions for employees. They decided to instead use this time to renovate and improve the layout of their production facility. They're supposedly gradually adding items back to the range, but they haven't made any further announcements.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Dropzone is getting restocked this weekend and new units, also a balance pass. They just dropped a post on their community site.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

So I finally bit the bullet. I bought Five Parsecs from Home 3rd edition from Modiphius press. My main hesitancy was paying for shipping from the UK, but I eventually caved.

First impressions (of the included PDF version): The layout is much better than the previous edition! :D Also many more tables, an expanded setting, more post-battle activities, a whole section on starships, nine appendix chapters and some really evocative art. Can't wait for the physical book to show up.

I immediately zoomed into the Inspirations Appendix IX. First a small typo: UFO Enemy UNknown not Enemy Known. Secondly, citing the Foundation series by Asimov? Warp Riders by The Sword? Outstanding taste!

I had the same quandary, and also ended up biting the bullet and just paying the silly amount of postage. Played my first mission the other night. As a newcomer to the game, it was good, really does lend itself to a narrative. After just one pre-battle-post turn I have a rowdy crew who got into a fight with each other after ammo failures during the mission. Someone must have been slacking on ammo stock duties. But we did find a datastick with a possible quest on it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think this is because TT Combat ceased production of all resins and therefore any larger kit that included resins at the start of the year due to the covid pandemic and not being able to ensure safe working conditions for employees. They decided to instead use this time to renovate and improve the layout of their production facility. They're supposedly gradually adding items back to the range, but they haven't made any further announcements.

Hopefully that's the issue, all though I recall that I had a lot of difficulty getting DFC stuff even before COVID. Hopefully that was only a temporary issue. I really want more DFC. DFC is so good

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Second turn of my 5 Parsecs campaign and captain went down to a pile of lucky 6s, we got the data delivered but he is out for d6 turns, ouch. Picked up 2 more crew from events, so we got a nice full boat, now to make some scratch to help pay for new guys and maybe some hospital time for the Capt.

This is quite nice, the actual battles are fast and furious, not complicated at all, as it's more about the story, and the pre and post battle. Kinda what I wanted Necromunda to be, and what we ultimately modded our Frostgrave campaign into. Thought I started with way too much money (rolled alot of cash for my starter crew backgrounds) but I see now how cash could become slim, especially with 2 Bots on my crew, since they don't get xp and have to buy upgrades.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Helical Nightmares posted:

Having a play list is a fairly long standing NWG tradition :-)
And thank you for the purchase!

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Mr.Booger posted:

Second turn of my 5 Parsecs campaign and captain went down to a pile of lucky 6s, we got the data delivered but he is out for d6 turns, ouch. Picked up 2 more crew from events, so we got a nice full boat, now to make some scratch to help pay for new guys and maybe some hospital time for the Capt.

This is quite nice, the actual battles are fast and furious, not complicated at all, as it's more about the story, and the pre and post battle. Kinda what I wanted Necromunda to be, and what we ultimately modded our Frostgrave campaign into. Thought I started with way too much money (rolled alot of cash for my starter crew backgrounds) but I see now how cash could become slim, especially with 2 Bots on my crew, since they don't get xp and have to buy upgrades.

Money is not super scarce by default. Once the book is out in print, there'll be some options to make it tighter, probably in an add-on.
Glad you had a good time though!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
There is a new release from Nordic Weasel games called Chrome Hammer Ascension.

It is 100 pages and looks like there maybe Shadowrun in it's DNA. Maybe. I wonder how it compares to Reality's Edge and Hardwired. Only 13 dollars.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/354627/Chrome-Hammer-Ascension

quote:

Sometimes you just want an elf and a ghoul to go shoot at each other in the cyberized back alleys of neo-berlin.

Welcome to Chrome Hammer Ascension.

In this solo campaign game your gang of punks will attempt to take on the mega-corporations of the ascended world. Dragon CEOs run pharmaceutical companies while flame demons prowl the back alleys and kobold zealots trade shots with an elf hacker.

CHA features a full campaign game where your punks gain experience, find new cool gear and hopefully don't end up face down in a rainy alley when a security guard finally frags them.

Random events, extensive lists of gear and abilities and a huge array of creatures are present in the book, allowing for you to really immerse yourself in the world of cyber fantasy.

The combat system is based on Squad Hammer and Chrome Hammer allowing fast, colorful combat without being bogged down by complex rules, letting you focus on the scenario you are playing and the enemies you are facing down.

Intended from the ground up as a solo game, all you need is a handful of miniatures to get started doing battle on the blood-slick streets, in VR space or the astral plane! Each campaign sees you fighting the mega-corps leading to an epic showdown against their monster CEO.

All of this is supported by included random tables to add flavor to the game experience.

This is a fantastic opportunity to use some figures you have not had a chance to use yet, plan some wild new paint jobs or conversions or bring some beloved old favorites back.

The core mechanics use a 2D6, pick highest roll to determine how many characters can activate each turn with characters being able to perform an array of actions.

Ranged combat is resolved with a 2D6 roll trying to exceed a target number, with enemies in close range being permitted to return fire.

Physical injury, squad casualties and morale is all merged into a single damage score, which can be reduced through the use of certain actions. This allows a fast-playing but tactical feeling experience.

Mechanics are included for stealth missions, spells and more.

The rules are intended for solo play and are stand-alone. You do not need a copy of Chrome Hammer or Squad Hammer to play.

The intended play space is roughly 3 x 3 feet though smaller tables are manageable.

Game scale is agnostic but will play fine in both 15mm and 28mm+.

Record sheets are included.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I am halfway through finishing Five Parsecs from Home and I decided to let the random tables whip up a crew for me. Since I am terrible at making up names, I also turned to an online randomizer for scifi names. The results surprised me at how much they made up a cohesive and interesting back story. Randomized elements from Five Parsecs are in bold.

I picked my first randomly generated crew member to be the leader, sight unseen.

quote:

Bjorn Ivannox is the captain’s name. He grew up in a wealthy merchant family, but for him a safe and comfortable life was not in the cards. His family was brought low and raided by a criminal element, that he has vowed revenge on. To prosecute his personal war against the criminal enterprise he has become a spacefaring nomad, bouncing around the galaxy from planet to planet in his retired troop transport ship; taking on all sorts of work to fund his mission. During his travels, Bjorn has acquired a Nano-Doc which he uses to keep himself in fighting shape and ahead of his addictions as he quests among the stars.

Anriel, just Anriel is a taciturn soldier. Leading the life of a drifter from spaceport to spaceport Anriel picked up a smattering of survival skills and experience in odd jobs before he eventually wandered towards the military. Discipline and brutality became his daily bread as he was shipped off to planet after planet in the Guard, part of one Company’s Dirtkicker’s Dozen or another’s. He doesn’t say much about his previous billets, all he does is polish his standard issue steel boots carefully and keep his infantry laser well maintained. Anriel bonded with Bjorn over their shared desire for revenge over those criminal elements who disrupted their lives. Anriel however will not talk about his personal grudge; he just serves as Bjorn’s enforcer and first mate on the ship, and he kills on command.

Fallox Encia. You may have heard of her from the resident spacers’ youth, talking about how her melodious cello over dubstep and screamcore tones is just electric man, electric! An irrepressible and unfatigable artist, this music-mixer and instrumentalist par excellence, nearly never made it to the top 1000 space-billboard charts. Armed with only a scrap pistol the plucky Fallox escaped from a subjugated colony on an alien world that Bjorn and company had decided to land on for refueling. Bartering the use of her personal repair bot (stolen of course) as collateral for oxygen and food on the spaceship, Fallox now peruses her desire for Galactic fame along with carrying out any mercenary work the captain finds for the crew.

Levian Nuende wasn’t worth a dram of good air on his old home. Always a scavenger, a schemer and when necessary, a thief in the slums of the space station that raised him; Levian learned to survive to adulthood with a little help from his genius counterfeiting abilities (Fake IDs) and a shadowy private organization that stepped in from time to time to keep Levian on the right side of an airlock. Armed with a potent blast pistol, Levian now seeks order in the universe. For Levian that order is made manifest by carrying out sometimes inscrutable instructions from his shadow patrons.

Lemoes Gallo. Holy man of the ship. He jokes that the only reason that Bjorn and Anriel keep him on is for luck, and the fact that he knows a Firebird 1200 engine backwards and forwards in his sleep. Born on a backwater isolationist enclave, faith was an omnipresent presence for Gallo. Every moment in life and star in the sky was a gift from the Universal; and the Universal was present in all things, even technology, Gallo drones on and on to the crew. The ship’s technician, most crew-mates put up with him since he is responsible for the life-support and mess hall auto-chef. Gallo’s only heirloom of home is a dusty bipod, and a careworn colony rifle which he tinkers with in his off time, humming psalms to himself.

Piklov Demir. The scourge of the orphan utility program he was born into. Supposed to be raised into upstanding citizens of planetary administration and the military alike, Piklov turned his back on all that and began a life of petty criminality. If there was something you wanted, Piklov could acquire it by means fair or foul, all for a price. Constantly on the outs in his orphanage, Piklov was voted most likely to be spaced in his class until the influence of a wealthy individual took a shine to Piklov’s machinations and bailed him out of jail occasionally. Worshiping on the altar of Wealth, Piklov repays his patron by taking on increasingly more dangerous missions that reap progressively more lucrative rewards.

The way this works mechanically is that each crew member rolls on the Background, Motivation and Class table. For Bjorn the results are Wealthy Merchant Family, Revenge, and Nomad respectively. Revenge as a Motive gives Bjorn +2xp and a Rival, which I rolled for randomly and came up with Criminal Element. Nomad for a Class allows Bjorn a shot at the Gear table, which generated a Nano-Doc. Some of the other weapons I detailed (Infantry Laser, Scrap Pistol, Colony Rifle) were rolled up randomly when figuring out the Crew Equipment. I just plopped them down in a character’s description wherever they seemed to fit narratively. Also, I rolled for the ship the crew is on and got a Retired Troop Transport.

Overall Five Parsecs provides a lot of randomized details before and after the combat turn that are very useful for putting into a narrative story or roleplaying game.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 24, 2021

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
My 5 Parsecs crew got caught in an ambush by their rivals, who happen to be a soulless taskforce (tough, well skilled alien robot hivemind) armed with Hyper blasters and Infantry lasers on a slippery landing dock...it was a bloodbath, with only one shocked crewman left standing, covered in alien bio-liquids. Luckily we hurt them enough that they left the system, fearing our reprisal (they were removed as a rival). Next mission might be even more dangerous, as I have only 4 crew available to go, and one of them broke his machine pistol. Really enjoying the game so far.

Nordic Weasel guy
Mar 25, 2021

Mr.Booger posted:

My 5 Parsecs crew got caught in an ambush by their rivals, who happen to be a soulless taskforce (tough, well skilled alien robot hivemind) armed with Hyper blasters and Infantry lasers on a slippery landing dock...it was a bloodbath, with only one shocked crewman left standing, covered in alien bio-liquids. Luckily we hurt them enough that they left the system, fearing our reprisal (they were removed as a rival). Next mission might be even more dangerous, as I have only 4 crew available to go, and one of them broke his machine pistol. Really enjoying the game so far.

For all I worry the battles are too easy, that's a hell of a start, like being an extra in the Terminator film future-war scenes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Someone's got the Mörk Borg skirmish game, Forbidden Psalm, in stock in the UK.

The Guerrilla Miniatures guy did some videos and it looks pretty neat as super grotty mordheimgrave with solo and coop options.

There's a PDF version on itch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah that sold out as I was clicking add to cart.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The good news is that America should see copies become available "Soon." (According to the creator on Reddit.)

The bad news- I bought the digital and it breaks tone and character a bit. Not a deal breaker, but there's some cringey elements of gamer monkey-cheese in there:

Sure, [NOT APPLICABLE] the Monkeybutt - you are definitely a character appropriate for the bleak world of Mörk Börg.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Flicking through the preview of their RPG they are at "here is some raw meat for no reason" level trying too hard.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
MORK BORG is kinda supposed to be ridiculous, just the kind where it's ridiculous to people observing from the real world, in setting it's all treated seriously

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The miniatures game is 3rd party and didn't seem to get the tone. The RPG is definitely over-the-top and absurd, but in a "using severed fingers as currency" way - not "Tim the Pew Pew" zany names way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So what's the selling point of Mork Borg anyway?

That hermit Dave joke should see you banished from writing community and left to wander the wastes for 5 years.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you looked at the cover and said "gently caress yeah, more of that!" it's more of that.

The skirmish game might work to that end, but you're going to be working around a lot of cutsey and whimsical nonsense. For example, there's a monster entry for "animal cultists." Mork Borg RPG expectation:

Skirmish game reality: Evil squirrels and bunnies and chipmunks that want to END THE WORLD. The zany NPC wizard has a mission where you thwart them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
*enormous disappointed sigh*

I guess I'll be substituting the original tone as much as possible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JcDent posted:

So what's the selling point of Mork Borg anyway?

That hermit Dave joke should see you banished from writing community and left to wander the wastes for 5 years.

My understanding as someone very curious about it is that it's OSR without being written by Nazis and wants to be the most metal retroclone of them all while also being inclusive with its audience. I'm tempted to buy it on that premise alone knowing that I'll likely never play it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's got super clean and well-organised layout in the example module and the quick reference sheet and then there's the d10 starting weapon table which covers four pages.

The whole main section of the rule book is an arty brvtäl mess which changes style every other page but it mostly works.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I don't really care about Mork Borg but that website let me know the new Mothership module was released so thanks for that!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Atlas Hugged posted:

My understanding as someone very curious about it is that it's OSR without being written by Nazis and wants to be the most metal retroclone of them all while also being inclusive with its audience. I'm tempted to buy it on that premise alone knowing that I'll likely never play it.

I mean there's plenty of OSR stuff that isn't made by Nazis, indeed most of it isn't, they just happen to be a very loud and obnoxious tiny minority, like how it is with most nerdy things if we're being honest unfortunately

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The OSR attracts a lot of them because they get to pretend things were better in the glorious old days blah blah.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I grabbed Planet28 and Brutal Whatever. Thoughts on these?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Does anyone know of a good 6mm scifi ruleset? I have decided that I like the grandeur of 6mm a lot more more than the detail of 28mm and want to move myself in that direction. I've played some historicals in the scale and love it.

I've decided against Epic Armageddon or a resized Dropzone because they're both very deeply tied to their settings and making it more generic might take some work. Horizon Wars didn't quite fit for me since I never got comfortable with the firing mechanics. Perhaps I just need to give it more time.

If anyone has experience or opinions about LaserStorm, Future War Commander, Quadrant 13, or Dirtside 2 I would appreciate the information.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could try the Battletech games. They're intended for ~6mm scale stuff, and the infantry is basically generic "dude with gun" until you get to power-armoured infantry.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
One of these days I'll get around to playing Strike Legion and its larger-scale cousin Planetary Operations again. A little fiddlier than some of the 6mm I've played, but cool games. It's been years though, sorry.

Nordic Weasel has a couple of options. Never got Laserstorm to the table, but FiveCore Brigade Commander might work if you don't mind reskinning modern.

I didn't end up liking Future War Commander that much, despite that line of games being reasonably popular.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Played Dirtside 2 a few times. It's solid; good design variety and a lot of weapon options. Uses a lot of counters, which I know some people baulk at, and a "draw results from a cup" system for damage resolution. If that's not an issue for you then there's a decent armour game under there.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I like LaserStorm. Here's what I said about it a while back.

Springfield Fatts posted:

It comes with a list of premade generic units, but there's two ways to make your own: Assembly Line and Workshop. Assembly Line is pretty basic, pick a class (infantry, tank, skimmer, walker, etc) and purchase gear from couple dozen already created weapons. The Workshop is when you get in depth, able to add stats and traits to units and customize weapons. So that awesome Tyrannosaurus could easily be statted up as a close combat monster with a huge laser cannon and flame breath if you wanted.

Some takeaways after test games this weekend:
- The force org system he recommends is a train wreck and sort of the opposite of the keep it simple mindset the book is going for, but could easily be ignored. We did for our second game.
- Morale is interesting. Rather than falling back if you fail a morale check the unit goes off table into reserve. They come on from your table edge next turn if they rally, or a commander unit can recall them closer to the front within a certain proximity of it's stand. It's novel, but in bigger games can mean a lot of moving on and off table of units, especially if you are a low quality horde army. The author does say if you don't want to do this just have the failed unit make a double time move towards their table edge instead.
- The ranges are really big, some vehicles will be moving 24+" if they double time it, and weapons can reach up to 40". We fixed this by just using CM, but your mileage may vary if you have a huge gaming space. I don't.

Overall I really liked it, more so than I remember my last E:40k game and way more than the rather bland-feeling Future War Commander.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Thank you all for your information. I'm now leaning into the idea of going with LaserStorm and plan on trying to test it out with a friend on VASSAL sometime in the next few weekends. Future War Commander seems to generally have the reputation of being lackluster. If LaserStorm doesn't feel right after a few games I'll probably shift to trying Dirtside 2.

edit: and maybe Strike Legion works its way in there, too. gently caress, too many good options.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 25, 2021

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EverettLO posted:

Does anyone know of a good 6mm scifi ruleset? I have decided that I like the grandeur of 6mm a lot more more than the detail of 28mm and want to move myself in that direction. I've played some historicals in the scale and love it.

I've decided against Epic Armageddon or a resized Dropzone because they're both very deeply tied to their settings and making it more generic might take some work. Horizon Wars didn't quite fit for me since I never got comfortable with the firing mechanics. Perhaps I just need to give it more time.

If anyone has experience or opinions about LaserStorm, Future War Commander, Quadrant 13, or Dirtside 2 I would appreciate the information.

Horizon Wars is a 2-10mm company-level game that incorporates ground forces, aircraft and the titans of the battlefield - mechs. Whether you want to pit a handful of mechs against each other in quick clash of patrols, or line up combined-arms forces for a huge battle, the game remains fast-moving and enjoyable.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193700/horizon-wars-science-fiction-combined-arms-wargami

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The pdf of Five Parsecs from Home just got released on Wargames Vault for $20!

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/358938/Five-Parsecs-From-Home--Solo-Adventure-Wargaming?src=hottest

If you want to see a well produced skirmish battle with background in the Five Parsecs system, check out Copperfrog's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OLQiT1LSO0

vkeios
May 7, 2007

FYI the PDF is also on Modiphius, and Ivan has said he gets a bit bigger cut from there.
Also he's done a blog post about what's in Five Parsecs's next expansion.

and meanwhile, I'm just trying to get a physical copy without shipping from the UK, because I want a physical nordic weasel book damnit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've just started on the dangerous path of returning to my first miniature army, 90's Orcs & Goblins, and I'm planning to go down two paths at once: scouring the Internet for second hand pre-2000 minis, and looking at smaller brands that make "old school style" orcs and Goblins. This far I've found a few nice alternatives, like Knightmare Miniatures, Red Bard Miniatures and Aenor Miniatures. Anyone out there who have some favourite old school O&Gs I should check out?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Warmonger/Wargames Foundry has some orcs, among other fantasy and historicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loxbourne posted:

Played Dirtside 2 a few times. It's solid; good design variety and a lot of weapon options. Uses a lot of counters, which I know some people baulk at, and a "draw results from a cup" system for damage resolution. If that's not an issue for you then there's a decent armour game under there.

Second this, it's a really solid game and you can whip up stats for just about any fictional force with ease. The die cup resolution, and using the full range of polyhedral dice for opposed rolls puts some people off, but like Loxbourne said, there's a very good generic 6mm rule set there.