Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Is there still no shopping cart? You're kidding.

Uh... Unrelated, I'm playing a little bit of the ol, Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion. They need a skip dialogue button, but I seem to be liking it. I hope to finish it on my day off tomorrow, finally. Whew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Serephina posted:

Doesn't that basically mean the end purchasers are SOL? It's a pain for the devs and they're losing money from all the chargebacks etc, but they're not really losing sales. Buying accounts is dodgy as heck, those fools knew what they where doing.

Yeah, end purchasers almost certainly got screwed on the deal.
Scammers realized Epic didn't have any way to clawback fraudulently purchased keys activated to Uplay accounts and it took them several weeks to coordinate with Ubi to lock it down and disable the accounts. Also it was exacerbated by them not doing any kind of email or account verification

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 4, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The quote Hub Cat linked is from a personal apology letter Tim Sweeney sent to Yves Guillemot (DX-3536).

There's also another document with a long email chain where Epic's COO is discussing how they can prevent this and the answer from the employees is basically "we can't, the store's backend sucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" . Tens of thousands of keys.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
At this point I'd assume the lack of shopping cart is Epic opting for mobile/app shopping approach to reduce friction and encourage impulse purchases.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In the Epic Games app under the Library tab there's an Unreal Engine tab. When you open it you can go to the Marketplace where you can buy Unreal Engine assets and stuff like that. It has a shopping cart...

So no, it's not that they can't implement it, they just categorically refuse to do it for some reason. I guess it's a meme at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Burning Rain posted:

At this point I'd assume the lack of shopping cart is Epic opting for mobile/app shopping approach to reduce friction and encourage impulse purchases.

Shopping carts increase the likelihood of impulse purchases. That's why they exist.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

documents from yesterday's exhibits that jump out to me are:
Epic Games Store - Review of Performance and Strategy, October 25 2019: https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/file/806827524160
- source of the free games dev revenue, more store figures in there (inc. borderlands 3 exclusivity breakdown)

Fortnite budget vs actual, September 2017: https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/file/806840787848
- notable for the end part where it gives a breakdown of payments to 3rd party devs, also has a bunch of employee names, title, leads, locations, start dates, etc that should have been redacted imo

Misc: https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/file/806838728841
- email on stadia (pre-launch and epic's expectations for the platform), and info on Project Storm (Walmart's cloud gaming service) with a lot of internal Walmart metrics included

that box link was supposed to be media only for the trial

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Can someone explain the "New to Epic %" column?

NVM: Its new epic accounts divided by entitlements.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 4, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Xakura posted:

Can someone explain the "New to Epic %" column?

I think it means the percentage of people who signed up for that game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sininu posted:

I think it means the percentage of people who signed up for that game.

That's the New Epic Accounts column. "New to Epic %" is what percentage of the free games given out (entitlements) were to new epic accounts instead of to pre-existing users.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Someone did the math. Maybe wrong but it was funny either way

Probably fair to take the perspective that every dollar Epic spends is aimed at capturing those users, not just the game giveaways. They’re certainly not spending it on a shopping cart mooonshot.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

The Epic vs. Apple trial began today, giving the public a rare glance into some of the the dealings and internal metrics of some big players in the industry.

Here's a Sony policy about requiring publishers to pay them a cut if too many people are playing cross-play games through PSN but spending their money in the game on another platform. Tim Sweeney later said that only Sony expected this of them. Also here are two emails of Sony and Epic execs having a pissing contest.

This is a breakdown of EGS customer conversion rates/ARPUs through mid-2019, and here's some information on how much they paid to secure some of their weekly free games, how many people redeemed them, UA costs etc.

Here's a (too small) screenshot claiming that Dead Island 2, if it ever actually releases, and Saint's Row 5, which to my knowledge hasn't been announced, will be EGS timed-exclusives. Dying Light 2, surprisingly, isn't, at least at whatever time this was effective as of.

Lots more here for people who are interested in this stuff.

Am I the only one thinking that Sony's revenue share policy is kind of bizarre?

Also, those executive e-mails are pretty amusing.

repiv posted:

Fortnite was the very first game to ship PS4 crossplay wasn't it? I wonder what agreement they came to in the end

Yeah, Fortnite first and Rocket League second, as I recall.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

exquisite tea posted:

Shopping carts increase the likelihood of impulse purchases. That's why they exist.

As someone who works in retail, the number of times I've heard "I just came in here looking for X...." And then they have a full shopping cart. Lol. Some customers will take the smaller shopping cart to help control themselves and then they stack their purchases above their height in there.

Unrelated question, any of you have some experience with Persona 5 Strikers? Just gathering opinions as I'm curious about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

As someone who works in retail, the number of times I've heard "I just came in here looking for X...." And then they have a full shopping cart. Lol. Some customers will take the smaller shopping cart to help control themselves and then they stack their purchases above their height in there.

Unrelated question, any of you have some experience with Persona 5 Strikers? Just gathering opinions as I'm curious about it.

P5S, despite being an action game, still has that traditional Persona “active contempt for the player’s time” thing going on. Also the party AI is dumber than bricks and constantly wastes SP. And if you play it in a dark room every screen transition is a blinding white screen that hurts to look at. I found it to be a tremendous dissapointment.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Are there any stats they've released about how much a new Epic account is actually worth?

Like it's all well and good that they've got someone through the door but if they were only interested in the one game that got them there then there's very little lifetime value for Epic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't mind the lack of a shopping cart so much, but I'd have bought a bunch more stuff on Epic if it allowed gifting like Steam does.

Between wishlists and gifting, Steam makes it very easy to buy birthday presents for gamer friends (plus if you're family sharing with those friends you get to play the game too, like Homerball)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kin posted:

Are there any stats they've released about how much a new Epic account is actually worth?

Like it's all well and good that they've got someone through the door but if they were only interested in the one game that got them there then there's very little lifetime value for Epic.

I feel like that there isn't a real answer for that yet. Currently they haven't earned poo poo, but they want to make big bucks with zoomers in 2025 or 2030, and it's impossible tell how that will play out.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

given the projections they make are worst-case 20% control of the digital pc market in a few years i'd take any internal analysis on their value with a ton of salt

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012
Yeah, Epic's projections are pretty wild and remind me of another goon favorite, Intel's Itanium projections..

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm glad i'm not the only one that saw itanium projections in those exhibits

speaking of incompetent analysis i'm awaiting the steam spy guy who couldn't forecast their way out of a bag and got hired by epic to appear somewhere in this lawsuit, they're bound to be up to some incredibly stupid poo poo in the back offices

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Kin posted:

ARPPU = Average revenue per paying user

Seeing as they'd spent considerably less than $53M on new games at that point, it's probably been a successful strategy.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ErrEff posted:

Suzuki continued on with a small team and they had to reinvent a bunch of stuff from scratch with modern dev tools and practices. And what got made was... technically a sequel, technically. As in "Ryo Hazuki continues his mundane adventures without much stuff happening", which appears to be the stuff Yu Suzuki is most interested in: Life simulations and sense of place. He cares less for the overall story, even though it is supposedly mostly fleshed out by this point.
I guess, but the extent to which absolutely nothing happened and the story didn't advance one iota from Shenmue 2 doesn't feel like "the creator is interested in something else" but more like "gently caress you are even caring, here's goatse.exe for your trouble".

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

lol apparently we got more of a look into things than was expected.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1389599449199136769

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Anno posted:

lol apparently we got more of a look into things than was expected.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1389599449199136769
extremely unsurprising, going to be interesting how this affects future redactions

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

P5S, despite being an action game, still has that traditional Persona “active contempt for the player’s time” thing going on. Also the party AI is dumber than bricks and constantly wastes SP. And if you play it in a dark room every screen transition is a blinding white screen that hurts to look at. I found it to be a tremendous dissapointment.

Like what??? I don't remember it ever wasting my time through stuff. And the only screen that's way too bright is the shop screen. The rest are black and red.

Were you playing Persona 5 Strikers? Because I just got through playing the entire game and the AI barely if ever uses SP. In fact I found them to be pretty smart as they were decent in combat and could dodge all of the big boss attacks that could be dodged.

Were you mistaking the free spells you can cast through doing combos with actual spells that cost SP?

As far as my time with Persona, I loved it extremely much. I was expecting it to be more of a Musou game than it was advertised to be, but the blend of Musou and RPG is really quite satisfying. Tip: Buy tons of SP items because on Hard mode you'll want to be ready to go to town during specific phases to get to the burn phases quicker.

pentyne posted:

Yeah I figure Shenmue 3 will the same problem as a lot of these 90s and early 00s dyanmo game director projects. Mighty No 9, Balan Wonderworld, Star Citizen, DF-9, I'm sure there's at least a half dozen others. Creators who are famous for something they made in a wildly different era getting a chance for a flashy new modern game are shooting their shot and just absolutely loving it up.

The Kickstarter stuff especially, as they raise a insane amount of money relative to crowd sourcing standards but still a tiny drop in the bucket for modern game development and they kind of stubbornly cling to a lot of outdated and obsolete ideas and ignore any advice.

No uh Shenmue 3 does not have the problem of being a flashy new modern game at all. It's literally exactly the same as Shenmue 1 and 2 but with changes that actively make it worse.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 4, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah the "AI is an SP hog" point is flat-out wrong, every character has a zero-SP elemental skill that the AI chooses to spam instead and they seldom heal of their own volition. the only time they ever started to run empty without my prompting them was if one particular character cast Debilitate too often

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does Strikers have split screen multi?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does Strikers have split screen multi?

It's not a multiplayer game of any kind.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

A musou without multi? Bummer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's very much a Persona game that just happens to have small scale musoulike combat in the random encounters. You need to be initiating sneak attacks on mobs through dungeons, matching elements, resistances, managing equipment and side missions, etc. On top of sitting through dozens and dozens of hours of cutscenes and dialog. I don't know that formula would work with another person.

It is not 'here is a field with 100,000 enemies cut your way through them with no fucks given'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a better comparison would probably be one of the Tales games with musou-type combat (square-square-square-triangle, that sort of thing) and persona-type story progression

weird mutant of a game but it was decent on the whole

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

For what it’s worth, if there’s one thing that would do wonders to spice up the musou formula, it would be to give their UI elements the level of glitz and style that P5 has.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Worth it for CSD 3 as it's the best in the series, but otherwise, yawn.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
metro exodus is good and it's worth grabbing before the free upgrade to the enhanced edition drops

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Vane looks so good, big shame about the horrible controls and camera most reviews complain about. :(

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

ymgve posted:

metro exodus is good and it's worth grabbing before the free upgrade to the enhanced edition drops

The enhanced edition will be a free upgrade?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

yegods posted:

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/

quote:

The PC Enhanced Edition is FREE to all owners of the original release on Steam, the Epic Games Store, Good Old Games and the Microsoft Store.

Might mean it will be free for everyone even if you buy it in the future, but also might mean just for existing owners

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yegods posted:

Yeah it's free. It will be a distinct install though, not an update for the original version, so don't bother installing the original in anticipation.

The enhanced edition will *require* a raytracing capable graphics card (so Nvidia RTX 2000/3000 or AMD RX6000 series) FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZCSf4_Yk

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 4, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Darksiders Genesis is also a decent and fun game. It’s basically just Darksiders but isometric. Think of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

yegods posted:

EDIT: Didn’t refresh on my phone fast enough.

Yeah it should be to all previous Exodus owners, is my understanding. Depending on your definition of “upgrade”, it might be a little different since I believe it will be released as a separate, second entry in your games library, rather than a mode that installs on top of the original version of Exodus (or is accessed from a menu inside the original Exodus).