Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset my husband "upgraded" my engagement ring and changing it back?

Gimli's less-evil twin.

AITA for not wanting to give my future half Hispanic kids a traditional Spanish name?

quote:

Over dinner, my parents and fiancé were talking about names for kids. We’re not pregnant, but we’re going to start trying right after the wedding. My fiancé had several names that were very traditional, like, Fernando, Jose, Maria. My fiancé has a very traditional name. I have an African/ Caribbean name.

So, I explain that I don’t like those names, they sound Spanish colonial. It’s as if they should be the name of a ship sailing to the new Americas, if not the captain of that ship or part of Christopher Columbus’s crew. They just sound very old world. Plus I’m trying to imagine an obviously black American kid named Jose. I lived in The islands when I was younger so I definitely know some obviously black ppl with traditional Spanish names. But I would rather stay far away.

He said I’m being culturally insensitive and disrespectful, and a dick about it, but the way I see it, I don’t have to give my children the colonizer’s names. That’s our culture because it had to be, but we can honestly explore both our African and indigenous (central American and Carib) roots for names. Deviate from the norm. It caused a big stink. The comment about the ships is probably what did it.

AITA??

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset my husband "upgraded" my engagement ring and changing it back?

When it came time to pick out wedding bands, I chose one similar to his, gold and not flashy. I could tell he was disappointed that I didn’t want a traditional band.

But surely a simple gold band is traditional? Or is it different in America?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Wolfsbane posted:

But surely a simple gold band is traditional? Or is it different in America?
It is. The husband's just manufacturing weird poo poo to cause discord in their relationship.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Is it? Here we have engagement rings with stones and simple wedding bands with at most a small stone

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I(F22) believe my bestfriend(F22) is being cheated on by her boyfriend(M27). How should I approach her?

"Oops, I didn't know I'm actually the side piece" vol. 47

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Is it? Here we have engagement rings with stones and simple wedding bands with at most a small stone

I'm pretty sure Invisible Clergy is saying that plain bands are traditional, not that it's different in America?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Invisible Clergy posted:

Gimli's less-evil twin.

AITA for not wanting to give my future half Hispanic kids a traditional Spanish name?

Do what some mixed parents do and give your kids two names! I use my colonizer name in white people society and my Chinese name wherever people speak Cantonese. Specifically though, for some folks, Spanish colonization was really awful and I respect not wanting to name your kid after the people who destroyed your culture, but, uh, that's something you should probably talk to your husband about, because it's proooobably gonna be a bit deeper-seeded than just beefing over naming your kid Jose.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Do what some mixed parents do and give your kids two names! I use my colonizer name in white people society and my Chinese name wherever people speak Cantonese. Specifically though, for some folks, Spanish colonization was really awful and I respect not wanting to name your kid after the people who destroyed your culture, but, uh, that's something you should probably talk to your husband about, because it's proooobably gonna be a bit deeper-seeded than just beefing over naming your kid Jose.

This. I don’t do it with my name (first name is excessively English, my second name is v Igbo), but I know quite a few other fellow mixed race people that do.

It is a very tricky thing to contend with, especially with a child, and you gotta be careful because trauma linking with colonization can be intergenerational real fuckin quick and sucks to deal with.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

I'm pretty sure Invisible Clergy is saying that plain bands are traditional, not that it's different in America?

OH, I misune, my bad

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lieutenant Dan posted:

My wife is Miao, from Hunan, and the eldest of 3 kids which made her brother, the youngest, illegal for a while. As kids, she gave him the nickname of "Treasure Mountain" and when he finally had to get an ID and deal with the state or whatever, her parents couldn't figure out what the brother's actual name was so they wound up making "Treasure Mountain" his official name and he's always held a grudge against my wife for getting stuck with such a goofy name.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bǎoshān?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I can't stop thinking about the weirdo that brought his own broth.

And he didn't even bring the right kind for a hotpot

You heathen goons need to try hai di lao’s tomato base. That stuff is so amazing that even their packaged diy at home version still tastes awesome.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I think so, yeah.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

mania posted:

You heathen goons need to try hai di lao’s tomato base. That stuff is so amazing that even their packaged diy at home version still tastes awesome.

You know the guy that didn't want to spend $16 on dinner with his girlfriend didn't make an amazing tomato base.

He probably mixed a can of campbell's chunky with water.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for sending my partner's sister to a childfree doctor?

quote:

I am a childfree woman, and I've been with my partner for over a decade even though we're not married. I'm not super close to his siblings, but I generally like them. So far, none of them have kids.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I was recommended an obgyn who was open to permanent birth prevention options through an ambulance driver that I was friendly with.

Myself, I chose an IUD for now, but I'm generally very happy with the doc's services (does not push for hormonal b/c, isn't telling me to have kids before I'm too old).

Anyway, my partner's sister caught wind of it, and asked if I could put in a good word for her. I called my doc if he was taking patients, and upon hearing yes she made an appointment.

So turns out now she had a hysterectomy. She had some other medical issues (hpv, endometriosis?) that could warrant that, and the doc agreed for surgery.

My partner's parents found out and they're livid. Both with her, and me. They're still hoping for grandbabies and thought she might change her mind. They think it's criminal to do a hysterectomy on a woman in her 20's. And they say it wouldn't have happend if I had not given her this doc's name (which might be true).

I frankly didn't expect the doc to do a full hysterectomy, but I think it's her body, her choice. She's been saying she doesn't want kids for years. Though I realize she might not have found a doc who'd do it if I had not intervened. AITA?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Love the new thread title. There is just something so wholesome and relatable about an 18 year old kid thinking he has hacked the system and is extremely clever while the rest of us watch in horror as every civil convention of our society is ripped apart carelessly.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

A saga:

AITA for being upset and leaving when my sister in law stole my pregnancy announcement?

UPDATE: My sister in law stole my pregnancy announcement.

UPDATE: I made a mistake and went to my SILs gender reveal.

It just... keeps going.

UPDATE: My SIL broke into my amazon account to find out the gender of my baby.

Hope OP cuts off her family and moves away without a forwarding address before her unhinged SIL murders her and steals her baby.

I remember learning the statistic years ago that in cases of domestic violence, it can take the abused partner an average of seven attempts to leave their abuser before it finally sticks and they don't go back. It really shocked me at the time, but as I've gotten older and more experienced I can see how that dynamic is in play with all kinds of dysfunctional and toxic domestic and familial relationships, even if it doesn't qualify as violence. It was clear from the very first post that this poor woman has been used as her family's scapegoat for most of her life and has become accustomed to it. And it's maddening to watch her go back and forth between giving her family an opportunity to hurt her again, and then going low-contact and admitting to feeling happier for it before she lets them repeat the cycle again. I hope she's in therapy and talking about her family dynamic and able to finally make a break for the good of herself and her daughter.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my sister that I don't like her and leaving?

quote:

Edit: my sister is 52. I am 25. The meeting was about how to handle our dad's estate.

To make a long story short, we had a family meeting at my brother's house. Instead of being serious and talking like an adult, my sister decided to mimic and mock everybody.

Eventually I had enough and said "we're not doing this today. It's childish" and walked off to the bathroom. When I came back, she was acting like she did nothing wrong. Instead of moving on in our discussion, my sister started mocking me again. And she defended herself saying "that's just who I am" so I replied back with "then I don't like who you are and don't want to be around you"

After that, I left and now my family is telling me that I ruined the night by leaving. AITA? I left because I felt myself getting angry and last thing I want to do is start yelling. I left while I still had control of myself.

quote:

She's always been the favorite for whatever reason. She was the baby before I was born and I guess my existence took the spotlight away from her. Idk, I just really don't like her.

Note, they're half sisters which probably explains a lot.

quote:

She offered to babysit after I was born and put me on the floor next to a door because she "didn't want me peeing on her couch"

Thats pretty much been her reaction towards me my whole life.

quote:

Yeah, once all the legal stuff is settled and over with, I'm going NC. She's dead to me. I'm currently homeless because of her.

quote:

When my dad passed, she told me not to worry about finances, bills, food, etc because she'd take care of me since that's what big sisters do. Being unable to think clearly, I trusted her. She ignored me for 2 months. Then went to the utility company and had the power shut off on me while I was at work (I lived with dad before his passing, sister lives in her own apartment).

The utility company won't turn power back on for at least 4 months due to probate or whatever. So I have no where to live for the time being. I'm couch surfing with my 2 dogs and have been for the past 2 months.

quote:

Thank you, I do too. I have an attorney who is working on this with me. He said she could even face jail time as she was acting as power of attorney when she wasn't appointed as such.

And there was another post about that earlier, too bad the shunning didn't stick.
AITA for telling my family the truth about the things my sister has done, causing her to be shunned?

quote:

This whole thing is a train wreck so please bear with me.

My dad passed away in December. I was his caretaker.

My sister kept promising that she would move into the house and help me take care of our dad as he was very ill and needed to have someone with him at all times. Both his physical and mental health were deteriorating. She never helped out. It got to the point that I was severely depressed and not doing well mentally. My dr told me I needed a break as I was suffering from caretaker fatigue and that my mental state would only get worse without help.

I begged my sister to help me with our dad because I couldn't do it alone anymore. That was roughly 6 months before he passed away. She came over once for 20 minutes to talk to him then left with his bank card to go grocery shopping. Sure, she bought him the groceries on his list but what she hid from him on a separate receipt was her buying alcohol for herself on his card as well. Due to his mental state, he never noticed the extra missing money on his account.

I ended up taking over my dad's finances and keeping a budget to make sure every penny was accounted for. I also set every bill in his name up for auto pay so he wouldn't have to fumble around with his check book anymore. All of this was suggested by my dad himself as he knew his mind wouldn't be there much longer and didn't want to stress over making payments on time.

So skipping forward to now, I just found out that my sister not only closed his accounts but also took all the money in his accounts before they could go through probate. My hair is literally falling out because over 8k is owed for bills that were supposed to be paid and I'm scared of being kicked out of the house for nothing being paid for. My phone has been shut off twice now and when I call the phone company for help switching my phone bill into my name, I'm told I need the proper paperwork to switch accounts. Unfortunately, my sister has the only copies of the documents I need and when I make calls to get my own, I'm told I'm not authorized to obtain those copies. I have no idea what that means.

Through this whole process, my sister has been repeatedly telling me not to tell our extended family of the passing of our father until everything has been settled. She kept telling me that she would take care of me and help me with anything I need. I told her I was running out of money and that I had no food in the house. She ghosted me and has since been ignoring my attempts at contact. I decided to no longer stay silent and told my relatives what has been going on. Everyone is pissed off with my sister.

After causing things to go nuclear, I am feeling like I'm TA. Maybe I shouldn't have gone this far but I was and still am very mad at her.

Edit: my brother and I have an appointment with a lawyer on Tuesday to have this taken care of.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Feed that sister feet first to fire ants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
An unusual take on a story where an easily missed (and edited into the OP) age gap puts everything into perspective.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my sister that I don't like her and leaving?

AITA for telling my family the truth about the things my sister has done, causing her to be shunned?

It's like bizarro younger version of my life. Well except for the poo poo sister. My sister is a poo poo.

Always have beneficiaries on your accounts folks. Always.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

A lot of Americans buy "wedding sets" where the engagement ring is a solitaire and the (woman's) wedding ring is studded with diamonds to match. The woman is given the engagement ring and wears it immediately, then gets the wedding ring at the actual marriage.

Wedding sets

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kntfkr posted:

I think so, yeah.

It's not too bad. Some people might just think it's Conserving the mountains. Tho maybe the pronunciations don't work out in Miao.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Always have beneficiaries on your accounts folks. Always.

Would that help here, if the older sister were added to the accounts?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 4, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Bramble posted:

I hope she's in therapy and talking about her family dynamic and able to finally make a break for the good of herself and her daughter.

Much like in many abuse situations, there seems to be an element of her not really having anyone else in her life, and so a little bit of distance starts convincing her something is better than nothing, no matter how bad, and then it is... until it isn't.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Dazerbeams posted:

All sympathy for that single mom evaporated when I got to the second update where she revealed her addiction to abuse.

Very cool and good to victim blame people who have been abused

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
AITA because I didnt wash wife's dishes right when she asked? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

on mobile forgive format

Background: Wife 27F and I 27M had been dating for 4 years married 2. This past year I lost my job due to covid so my wife was the sole income. This was not a crippling blow as she always made way more than me or what I could ever make. I never wanted to be a SAHD and since I was working she didn't expect me to do dishes, laundry, or cleaning because I was working. Since I'm no longer working she expects me to help keep the house. The most I did when I was working was put away dishes or put stuff in the sink. Now my wife nags me constantly to clean and help her keep the house clean since we are both here. My wife has ocd with severe anxiety and is currently in counseling for her issues.

Here is where I might be the rear end in a top hat My wife asked me if I could do dishes while she ran errands. She came back and the dishes weren't done. I was about to do them I had them on my list. She gets all pissy and loudly started to clean. She was making all this banging noise and I snapped saying that if she was going to bang them together she just shouldn't at all. She replied that if I did them she wouldn't be banging pots and pans. To which I snapped that if she wasn't such an uptight person who needed things her way 24/7 and relaxed maybe I would want to help her.

She stormed off to the bedroom after calling me a massive ah and that I should be just as invested in cleaning and hasn't talked to me since. I dont understand why she is upset now over dishes. She was always doing them? Is my wife being uptight or AITA?

From the comments:

quote:

I was playing an online game with my friends/people. But it's not like I could just get up and leave in the middle.

quote:

Thank you I did not know it's the person who has more spare time. It's always been the women who take care of a household for me. She never explained this just got mad and started banging stuff together

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Despite two paternity tests, my husband is still not bonding with our children because they don’t look like him.

quote:

I’ve been with my husband for four years, married for three. We have a two year old and an eight month old. When our eldest son came out with dark brown hair we were both shocked because I have light brown hair, almost golden and he has ginger hair. I didn’t think much of it but it bothered my husband and he always brought it up. Our son also has hazel eyes that look almost brown while I have blue and my husband has a green/grey color. He never bonded with our son and when he turned eight months old I badgered him into getting a DNA test so he could get it over with. To my shock he told me he already tested our son when he was a few months younger. I was so confused because he had still not bonded with our son but he told me he was going to. He just said he didn’t like that our son doesn’t look like either of us. I told him to give him time to actually grow into his features.

I became pregnant again and our daughter was born. She’s blonde with bright blue eyes, way lighter than mine. Again, he didn’t bond with her. This time I was with him when he got the test done and again even with the results, he never really bonded with her. His excuse is always that he’s busy and it’s hard when they’re so young but he won’t even look at them or take their picture. Whenever anyone brings up anything about their looks he gets visually uncomfortable. I didn’t realize it was so serious until his sister sat me down. She told me that my husband has been confiding in her about how he feels like he isn’t our children real father and it’s hard for him to not see any of his characteristics and that people have made comments about how our children don’t look like him or that my genes are strong. And that he thought after the tests he could have closure but it actually just makes things worse knowing they’re his but they “look like another mans”. He even told her that my ex looks like he could be the father rather than him. And that he doesn’t mind when it’s just him and the kids but when it’s all four of us and people can see they don’t look like ours it makes him uncomfortable.

How do I even go about bringing this up to him? He never tells me these kinds of things. I can tell he doesn’t really love our kids and it kills me. Just because they don’t look like you? What should I do?

Edit: I spoke to my husband about therapy and he completely shut it down, saying he’s not crazy and he doesn’t want to involve other people in our personal issues. I’m honestly at the end of my rope.
Lex Luthor before he perfected the cloning tanks.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That woman is a grown adult and knows what the problem is AND the solution for it. But sometimes people just can’t bring themselves to walk away. SIL broke into her Amazon account and she’s only flirting with the idea of cutting them out of her life.

I’m still pretty amused by the dude who didn’t care about his girlfriend being topless. Most stories in here are about men who go crazy possessive but that he was comfortable just letting her do her thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As I lay down to sleep
And pray the lord my broth to keep
If I should serve tomato paste
I pray the lord my soul to waste

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

Through this whole process, my sister has been repeatedly telling me not to tell our extended family of the passing of our father until everything has been settled. She kept telling me that she would take care of me and help me with anything I need. I told her I was running out of money and that I had no food in the house. She ghosted me and has since been ignoring my attempts at contact. I decided to no longer stay silent and told my relatives what has been going on. Everyone is pissed off with my sister.

Incredible. This lady was somehow able to get control over her father's banking accounts and keep the younger sister strung along and quiet about it, but was just too greedy.

Granted that's the kind of thing that gets resolved later when the rest of the family starts asking about the estate. But it sounds like she could have kept the grift going for a while.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

That woman is a grown adult and knows what the problem is AND the solution for it. But sometimes people just can’t bring themselves to walk away. SIL broke into her Amazon account and she’s only flirting with the idea of cutting them out of her life.

How often do you think she posts "tired of all the drama" statuses on facebook but never elaborates when people ask what's up

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Scaevolus posted:

Despite two paternity tests, my husband is still not bonding with our children because they don’t look like him.

This might be the dumbest, most picky man alive. His children at birth have different eye colors or hair colors than him or his wife and he's full out rejecting them after DNA tests confirm they are his. Even goddamn animals aren't that picky. gently caress's sake, give a few years and calm down. Maybe just be ecstatic your weird ginger genes didn't dominate.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Scaevolus posted:

Using your recessive genes (which is a pretty common thing for ginger characteristics if I'm not mistaken) to justify being a lovely dad is a new one to me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

henkman posted:

How often do you think she posts "tired of all the drama" statuses on facebook but never elaborates when people ask what's up
Once a week at least

Not a single person who posts "tired of all the drama" more than once is in the least tired of it. They desire it and refuse to get away from it. Even vaguebook statuses like that are part of the whole game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

My (25m) friend (24m) 'broke up' with me because I'm financially stable
Breakups
I hope this is coherent, honestly I'm kind of in shock right now

So I'm not rich. My parents aren't even rich for the area we live in honestly - they own a nice 3-bedroom house and then a trailer at the beach, but both of them grew up poor and my dad managed to get a good job. My older sister was the first person in our family who could afford to go to college. I'm now financially independent from my family through my own hard work, and rent an apartment by myself, I have savings from before I moved but I don't really save any of my paycheck month to month.

My best friend, let's call him Dan, has been my buddy since the first grade. His family live in social housing but they've always done alright, they've never gone hungry and they can take vacations sometimes, not as well-off as my family though. So ever since we were teens I've comped him when we hang out since I didn't need the money as much as him, and whenever he needs cash I'll give it to him, no questions asked. He's never abused any of this and it's an arrangement we've both always been comfortable with.

Now that we're adults we both work, although he can only work part time due to disability and mental health stuff, which is cool, he spends the rest of his time songwriting, but it means we still carry on the tradition that I pay when I see him. I very rarely spend money on luxuries for myself, honestly most of my non-rent/food payments go to my friends, capitalism is a joke and if I can make my friends' lives less difficult and still survive then I'm gonna do it.

But since I moved into my own place he's been acting really weird and getting annoyed when I buy him stuff. Obviously I don't want my best bud to be uncomfortable so I asked him if anything was wrong, and he blew up at me saying I was a rich entitled a**hole and he was tired of me rubbing my money in his face. I was stunned and I asked what he wanted me to do, if he wanted me to stop paying for stuff, and he told me to just leave him alone. He recently got a girlfriend who's on welfare and has been hanging out with her and her friends recently so I don't know if that has something to do with it or if he's felt like this for years, I just don't know

I feel completely blindsided. I can't help that I make more money than him but I've never considered it some kind of moral superiority, what's mine is his, I thought he knew that. I'm not trying to show off, I don't buy big name brand clothes or cars or whatever, I just want to make sure he has enough to be comfortable as well because it's not his fault that society doesn't value people like him. But maybe all this sanctimonious cr*p is what annoys him. I've always just tried to be his friend. I don't think I've ever lauded my money over him or acted like he owes me anything, because he doesn't. We're just friends and I just don't want my friends to suffer. I don't know what to do now.

TL;DR: after years of helping to financially support my best friend alongside myself, he accused me of being entitled and stuck up

I'n always interested in these sort of wealth dynamics. I've been in several different places on the wealth scale throughout my life (currently at my peak of "if I keep this up I'll have enough for a downpayment on a house in a few years and might get to be a homeowner by the time I'm 40!"), but never particularly precarious because my extended family has always been there for each other when someone falls down, and I knew if I ever truly needed them they would be there for me.

I also always felt like if I was gonna invite someone to something they'd have difficulty affording, and I could afford to, I should pay their way - after all, I'm inviting them primarily for myself! I'm doing it because I think I would have a better time if they were there, so I want to make them being there as easy and likely as possible, and I've always appreciated it when friends have done the same thing for me because it's meant I've gotten to do a lot of fun stuff I wouldn't otherwise have been able to (I absolutely loved having a friend in college whose family was loaded, we got up to much great stuff on their dime).

But that has definitely caused friction with friends without me realizing it was going to. Sometimes, I suspect, because they were planning on using the cost as an excuse not to go even though they didn't want to go for an unrelated reason... but sometimes because apparently the offer alone made them unhappy and made them feel bad about their financial situation. And it's something I have trouble really understanding, although I have since modified my behaviour in response to their concerns.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 4, 2021

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Husband (28m) is planning on hiring a homeless “black” man to go to our 10 year HS reunion this summer. I’m (28f) a little crossed out at his racism, he says I need to “lighten up.”

quote:

So obviously knew my husband in high school but we didn’t date until college and now have been married 5 years. Our 10 year HS reunion is coming up this summer.

My husband was like the big time trouble maker in high school that everyone was just kind of tired of by the time we were seniors so he didn’t have any close connections by the time he graduated. I have other friends but I also do keep in touch with some friends from high school.

My husband works at a downtown office park and however he managed he has become actually good friends with a small group of homeless people who hang out there during the day. He smokes weed with them, eats lunch, plays cards, etc... it’s not my favorite thing in the world because it seems sort of dangerous but he seems to really enjoy himself with them.

He came home tonight telling me how excited he now is for our reunion. I was curious because before tonight he swore we wasn’t going. So I pressed further and I think what he told me was “yeah I’m now a 52 year old black man who’s down on his luck.” I thought he was just joking around so I asked him to clarify later on and he said that his friend James from the park was going to go in his place to the reception. I asked him if he was kidding. He said no, James agreed to do it for $500 and a 8th of cocaine (whatever the hell that means). I still thought he was kidding so I asked if James intended to be my date and he said that would be super cool but he didn’t want to put me in a weird spot. I said everyone knows were married and isn’t this already a weird spot. He said that’s why it would be so funny. I really do think he’s going to follow through with this.

To me this is so racist I can’t even stand it, that in addition to it being so embarrassing. What can I get him to do to stop this? I have about 5 weeks
I think I understand why everyone was sick of this dude by the time he graduated.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
not stuck up enough to stop taking money for years tho

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I kinda doubt those homeless dudes are really his friends

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Scaevolus posted:

It's shocking the OP would have have another child with this idiot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Husband (28m) is planning on hiring a homeless “black” man to go to our 10 year HS reunion this summer. I’m (28f) a little crossed out at his racism, he says I need to “lighten up.”

I think I understand why everyone was sick of this dude by the time he graduated.

So you put a ring on this because?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I kinda doubt those homeless dudes are really his friends

Sounds like he give them lunchtime weed, I bet they like having him around.