Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

iroc.dis posted:

Has anyone had any luck buying a PC from The Co? My desktop is loving ancient and I just need something to post on SA, pay bills, and run a Plex server. I see every now and then they have fairly simple desktops that go on sale for about $500. Are those worth it?

Plex transcodes videos in real-time using your CPU. A lot of it depends on the quality of the videos you want to stream. If you're going with higher bitrate files and HQ audio, you probably want either a mid-range/high-end CPU to do the transcoding or look for a desktop with a dedicated GPU. Even a GTX 1650 will work wonders compared to using a CPU to transcode and Plex has an option called "hardware-accelerated streaming" that will greatly help your streaming experience by offloading the work to the GPU. You obviously have the option to run games, too, and it'd run most games at 1920x1080 no problem. There's a $750 Acer Nitro with a 10th gen Intel i5, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 1650 that would work super well and I think it's worth the extra $150 over the ~$600 for the computers without GPUs. Sometime down the road you probably wanna chuck another 8GB of RAM in there, but it has a 512GB m.2 SSD as well which is gonna run circles around your current computer's storage. Having a hard time figuring out whether it has two 4GB DIMMs or one 8GB DIMM installed currently. For 16GB, you'd wanna go with a couple of 8GB sticks so if they only stuck one in there, it's cheaper to buy a single 8GB DIMM than to have to replace two 4GB with two 8GB, you know?

You'd also wanna ask someone at the store who has more info, but I think most/all of their desktops come with a 2nd year warranty included beyond the first included from the manufacturer. Even if you find the same computers for the same prices elsewhere, I dunno anyone that's gonna match that extra year warranty. GPUs are impossible to find right now. The GTX 1650 included with that $750 computer is selling for $280-300 on eBay right now, which is why I say it's a much better deal to spend the extra ~$150 if you can. If you find one with a 1650 or 1660 on sale for even less, hop on that deal.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FogHelmut posted:

AC guys usually don't say anything at mine. It's the satellite TV and solar panel people you have to judo every time.

Yeah the ac guy at mine watched me walk up to the kiosk and grab a flyer and didn’t say a word.

Wait ya’ll are saying Costco is no longer providing diced onions for their hotdogs? Might as well say no more buns.

This cannot stand!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
theyre killing the food court hot dog, slowly but surely ... we cant let them get away with this

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'd be happy to just get the dog, no soda, for $1.50.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

iroc.dis posted:

Has anyone had any luck buying a PC from The Co? My desktop is loving ancient and I just need something to post on SA, pay bills, and run a Plex server. I see every now and then they have fairly simple desktops that go on sale for about $500. Are those worth it?

I was originally gonna buy a $600 PC at Costco which turned into a $1k PC at Micro Center which eventually became me letting goons talk me into spending $2k on something BTO from Dell directly with all of the fixings- but most crucially a 3060Ti

If I have any short term regrets or emergent money problems, I can always sell the GPU and recoup......*checks current secondhand market*......75% of the price of the machine :shepspends:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

silence_kit posted:

I'd be happy to just get the dog, no soda, for $1.50.

This. I never drink soda at all anymore and always find myself thinking its wasteful to not fill up the cup when they give it to me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

schreibs posted:

This. I never drink soda at all anymore and always find myself thinking its wasteful to not fill up the cup when they give it to me.

I fill it up with literally soda

I’m not sure every fountain drink machine has a soda water lever, but I’m glad the CostCo version does

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i always used to make an arnold palmer in the before times but now you arent allowed to use the fountain you have to have the person working the food court that also gives you the little container of mustard do it and i feel like they get enough poo poo already so im not going to make them do the extra work

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

i always used to make an arnold palmer in the before times but now you arent allowed to use the fountain you have to have the person working the food court that also gives you the little container of mustard do it and i feel like they get enough poo poo already so im not going to make them do the extra work

on Friday when i got my second COVID shot i noticed they reopened the soda machines to self-serve. thats why i asked about the GODDAMN RELISH AND ONIONS.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

Plex transcodes videos in real-time using your CPU. A lot of it depends on the quality of the videos you want to stream. If you're going with higher bitrate files and HQ audio, you probably want either a mid-range/high-end CPU to do the transcoding or look for a desktop with a dedicated GPU. Even a GTX 1650 will work wonders compared to using a CPU to transcode and Plex has an option called "hardware-accelerated streaming" that will greatly help your streaming experience by offloading the work to the GPU.

Just a note: plex only uses hw transcoding if you pay for premium.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

FogHelmut posted:

AC guys usually don't say anything at mine. It's the satellite TV and solar panel people you have to judo every time.

I aggress them first with strong eye contact and a hearty “no thank you” before they can act.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Virigoth posted:

I aggress them first with strong eye contact and a hearty “no thank you” before they can act.

"I would prefer not to" seems to shut down every approach from vendors and costco employees alike.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

"I would prefer not to" seems to shut down every approach from vendors and costco employees alike.

Big Bartleby energy. Good idea, I'll have to use that more often

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Virigoth posted:

I like to stop and talk to them about their day. When they start selling I say "No thank you, I already have that. How is your day going though? Any good sales?" and it's nice. They always appreciate the ask but since they're on the clock they give a short answer and I can tell them good luck on the sales and walk off. No one is mad and everyone had a nice time.

Everyone I shop with hopes I die soon.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

david_a posted:

I fill it up with literally soda

I’m not sure every fountain drink machine has a soda water lever, but I’m glad the CostCo version does

Soda water with a splash of mtn dew is my go to.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They'll happily give you an empty cup to take home with your dog. I take them home and use them later. I have like 30 of them right now because I never actually use them. But some day they'll be handy to have, just like all the rest of the excess costco stuff.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
One of this first things I'm doing after my vax has fully kicked in is I'm getting a haircut

The second thing is I'm finally going back to Costco

I'm so excited

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Virigoth posted:

“I’m sorry, I rent”

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
"My father was murdered by a DirectTV installer."

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Kirkland hard seltzer has finally arrived at my local 'Co :getin:

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Bloodplay it again posted:

Plex transcodes videos in real-time using your CPU. A lot of it depends on the quality of the videos you want to stream. If you're going with higher bitrate files and HQ audio, you probably want either a mid-range/high-end CPU to do the transcoding or look for a desktop with a dedicated GPU. Even a GTX 1650 will work wonders compared to using a CPU to transcode and Plex has an option called "hardware-accelerated streaming" that will greatly help your streaming experience by offloading the work to the GPU. You obviously have the option to run games, too, and it'd run most games at 1920x1080 no problem. There's a $750 Acer Nitro with a 10th gen Intel i5, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 1650 that would work super well and I think it's worth the extra $150 over the ~$600 for the computers without GPUs. Sometime down the road you probably wanna chuck another 8GB of RAM in there, but it has a 512GB m.2 SSD as well which is gonna run circles around your current computer's storage. Having a hard time figuring out whether it has two 4GB DIMMs or one 8GB DIMM installed currently. For 16GB, you'd wanna go with a couple of 8GB sticks so if they only stuck one in there, it's cheaper to buy a single 8GB DIMM than to have to replace two 4GB with two 8GB, you know?

You'd also wanna ask someone at the store who has more info, but I think most/all of their desktops come with a 2nd year warranty included beyond the first included from the manufacturer. Even if you find the same computers for the same prices elsewhere, I dunno anyone that's gonna match that extra year warranty. GPUs are impossible to find right now. The GTX 1650 included with that $750 computer is selling for $280-300 on eBay right now, which is why I say it's a much better deal to spend the extra ~$150 if you can. If you find one with a 1650 or 1660 on sale for even less, hop on that deal.

Awesome, thanks. I'm guessing the GPU shortage is why when I look at the guides on PCPartsPicker, the sets that are normally 500-600 are now 900-1000. "Mid range" desktops with $500+ GPUs seemed...not right.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dxt posted:

If only the normal sparkling water packs would return to mine. drat you supply chains!!

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

iroc.dis posted:

I can't vouch for them, but casually comparing specs with my low-budget Plex server (sub $500 not including hard drive/storage costs) they seem fine on par or better than what I have. I don't have a GPU because, as I think someone stated earlier, hardware acceleration with the GPU requires premium subscription with Plex. If ever the GPU market returns to the glory days, then I might consider getting a GPU.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

no one ever bothers me at costco about anything. i have resting bitchface and it's worse with the mask tho

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DoggesAndCattes posted:

I can't vouch for them, but casually comparing specs with my low-budget Plex server (sub $500 not including hard drive/storage costs) they seem fine on par or better than what I have. I don't have a GPU because, as I think someone stated earlier, hardware acceleration with the GPU requires premium subscription with Plex. If ever the GPU market returns to the glory days, then I might consider getting a GPU.

Jellyfin is an open source fork of Emby( which went closed source after forking from Plex), and does offloading no sub required.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Wife brought me home lunch from Costco today, pbuc.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

norp posted:

What a woman!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

shame on an IGA posted:

godspeed, I was fine for the first 6-8 hours and then woke up at 4:00 the next afternoon after many vivid fever dreams about several former illinois governors fighting a crack team of ninjas trying to stop them selling the toll road infrastructure to foreign pension funds

A++ vax, would dose again recreationally

whazzup 2nd dose pfizer fever dream pals! Mine were a combination of the matrix and the tv show chopped, neither of which I had seen in a looooong time

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

norp posted:

So jealous you still have the combo slice

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
They literally only added it to the menu this week!!

(We also have onion & relish dispensers)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

norp posted:

They literally only added it to the menu this week!!

(We also have onion & relish dispensers)

:mods:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Since when does it come in a box? Ive always just seen paper plates with foil.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

FCKGW posted:

Since when does it come in a box? Ive always just seen paper plates with foil.

I was thinking the same thing -- what kinda fancy rear end costco is this guy shopping at?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if this is trolling im gonna be really pissed

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

thathonkey posted:

if this is trolling im gonna be really pissed

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's definitely trolling, combo pizzas don't have salami AND pepperoni.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dxt posted:

I got some last trip and I'm Pleasantly Surprised with it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

toplitzin posted:

Jellyfin is an open source fork of Emby( which went closed source after forking from Plex), and does offloading no sub required.

FWIW: Emby was not a fork of Plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why are woozoo fans so popular?