Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What do you mean what happened to it? They announced it, said "more to come later" and it hasn't been "later" yet

I just meant, it's been longer than I would've expected, not that I actually remember when it was announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bloody roooooooaaaar

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That reminds me, what happened to the ASW/8ing Dungeon Fighter game?

It's super early in development and they don't want to cannibalize Guilty Gear excitement so we probably won't see more until after Strive is out for a minute.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Losing Marvel could force Capcom to focus on their own properties or even make an original IP. I'm sure there's people there chomping at the bit to try and compete against what games like Skullgirls and BFtG accomplished, especially with them trying to be competent now.

Fake Edit: We need a weekly group Fightcade session.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dishwasher posted:

Losing Marvel could force Capcom to focus on their own properties or even make an original IP.

The last MvC:I content came out 3 years ago, they've had plenty of time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think any non-indies feel the least bit threatened by Skullgirls or Power Rangers.

I don't see any of the current big fighting game devs/publishers making an original fighting game ever again.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Can we get a capcom fighter with some breath of fire and onimusha chars? And not Soki, I don't give a gently caress how copyrighted samonosuke's face is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I would do some dirty deeds just to get Onimusha 1-3 packaged in HD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think any non-indies feel the least bit threatened by Skullgirls or Power Rangers.

I don't see any of the current big fighting game devs/publishers making an original fighting game ever again.

is guilty gear strive not an original fighting game or do you mean original as in 'new franchise'

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You can make a new fighting game property, you just have to go hard on making the characters and story appeal to non-fighting-game-fan VN players and merch buyers. Blazblue figured this one out to great effect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf blazblue was also over a decade ago, the market was pretty different back then, i feel like there was more interest and buzz inherent to the genre. these days a lot of the talk is about how people wish there was a good licensed fighter for ___, or tournament play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capcom fighting game where are the characters are based on past capcom title's... arcade cabinet designs. There are three factions, CP1, 2 and 3 and also they all live in a dorm at the Capcom Museum and fight over who has to wash the dishes this week.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Barudak posted:

Capcom fighting game where are the characters are based on past capcom title's... arcade cabinet designs. There are three factions, CP1, 2 and 3 and also they all live in a dorm at the Capcom Museum and fight over who has to wash the dishes this week.

This reminds me, was Capcom Fighting Jam any good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

Pro:
You can suplex a dinosaur
Has some neat unbalanced as poo poo modes for the home port

Cons:
Is not Marvel vs Capcom 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

is guilty gear strive not an original fighting game or do you mean original as in 'new franchise'

Original as in new franchise that isn't tied to an existing IP.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Artelier posted:

It's the least interesting fighting game Capcom ever made, below OG Street Fighter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A game where you play as characters based on the periodic table, Fighting Hadron Collider

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

When is Sulfur getting a nerf Mendeleev?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

A game where you play as characters based on the periodic table, Fighting Hadron Collider

:hmmyes:

Include instant kills, but they're just both of the fighters colliding to form a black hole

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't know NRS was in charge of your posts

Savage!!!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Team boson way OP

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Original as in new franchise that isn't tied to an existing IP.

i dont think most major game studios are gonna made a whole new IP for a while tbh

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Does Cereal Killaz count as a new IP?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

Helium is really OP cause they have a lot of unbondables

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you use a characters Atomic Bombardment and win the match absolutely massive text pops up saying "SUPER HEAVY" and the announcer shouting out "Transuranic Finish!!!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Barudak posted:

I could jive with characters being framed around individual groups on the table. I'd main the carbon group fighter no question.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Noble Gases is the villain group, not even a question.

The best part is you can sell DLC which just funds more research so that science can create more characters to be put in the game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

Can we get a capcom fighter with some breath of fire and onimusha chars? And not Soki, I don't give a gently caress how copyrighted samonosuke's face is.

Be careful what you wish for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRgE1QLUfY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played this game because I loved Powerstone 2 and surely Capcom---

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Decided to pick up MK11 because the new MK film is actually absolutely delightful, but it's the first MK I've played in more than a decade and the first fighter I've played since I got into Injustice 2 years ago. I feel horribly rusty, but I'm not averse to rote work, so I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of routines or exercises that they do that might actually be effective? I reckon all the fleshy bits are covered in the tutorials, so I'm basically looking for stuff that hammers in timing and utility, and then I can work on learning combos and such when I'm not busy dying.
Edit: Did somehow miss the MK11 thread the first time I searched, but at least I've found it now!

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 4, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's no compelling reason for Capcom to make a new fighting game IP.

Like new IPs are already inherently a risk and you add that risk to something already as niche as fighting games? No way. Not the way the market is now.

I think this extends to bringing back old franchises too btw - the small crowd of boomers that would get hyped for a new Darkstalkers are not going to move enough units to make that game worth producing versus something that still has name recognition in the modern day like Street Fighter or Marvel.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Decided to pick up MK11 because the new MK film is actually absolutely delightful, but it's the first MK I've played in more than a decade and the first fighter I've played since I got into Injustice 2 years ago. I feel horribly rusty, but I'm not averse to rote work, so I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of routines or exercises that they do that might actually be effective? I reckon all the fleshy bits are covered in the tutorials, so I'm basically looking for stuff that hammers in timing and utility, and then I can work on learning combos and such when I'm not busy dying.

Well, if the problem is executing special moves, go into training mode, and walk the enemy into the left corner. Get between the training dummy and the wall and just repeat the special over and over until you can walk the enemy from the left to the right without flubbing the move. Repeat but by starting in the right hand side and moving to the left.

If the trouble is combos, well same thing just repeat the combo until you can do it flawlessly 10 times in a row.

If the trouble is figuring out how to deal with some move or combo an opponent does, go into training mode, record that move or combo for the enemy, and just try and figure out how to answer it.

If it is just nerves or dealing with a fight, just go online and run sets. If you have problems against a particular character, find one online and just rematch over and over until they stop fighting you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

anime was right posted:

God their game is gonna suck and also sell 10m copies
If they get to make a DC vs Marvel game does that mean Marvel also gets to make a Marvel vs DC game?

Oh no.

no nonono

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There's too many different kinds of fighting game and that's the thing that hurts them the most. Oh you like fighting games? Sorry I don't play 3D games. Nah I'm not into streetfighterlikes. Do you like airdashers? Oh, not those ones. Ahh.

It's honestly way easier to get a game of Smash going, there's only like three major games and most people play at most two of them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Madmarker posted:

Well, if the problem is executing special moves, go into training mode, and walk the enemy into the left corner. Get between the training dummy and the wall and just repeat the special over and over until you can walk the enemy from the left to the right without flubbing the move. Repeat but by starting in the right hand side and moving to the left.

If the trouble is combos, well same thing just repeat the combo until you can do it flawlessly 10 times in a row.

If the trouble is figuring out how to deal with some move or combo an opponent does, go into training mode, record that move or combo for the enemy, and just try and figure out how to answer it.

If it is just nerves or dealing with a fight, just go online and run sets. If you have problems against a particular character, find one online and just rematch over and over until they stop fighting you.

It's more about keeping all the defense related concepts in my head at the same time tbh. Remembering cancels, breakaways, reversals, getting up and not getting up, dashing and all that, and then stuffing that in my brain in a way where I actually do the correct thing instead of running face fist into a foot. That's what I mean when I say "not busy dying", I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

There's no compelling reason for Capcom to make a new fighting game IP.

Like new IPs are already inherently a risk and you add that risk to something already as niche as fighting games? No way. Not the way the market is now.

I think this extends to bringing back old franchises too btw - the small crowd of boomers that would get hyped for a new Darkstalkers are not going to move enough units to make that game worth producing versus something that still has name recognition in the modern day like Street Fighter or Marvel.

Honestly Darkstalkers would probably have a stronger chance at a broader reception than like Rival Schools or Powerstone or probably even Capcom VS. It's pretty stylish and would fit in a gap somewhere between SF and a more approachable Marvel which is never happening again anyway. Particularly if they can swing a good art team for it. They'd just have to not rely on the name alone carrying it like it does for SF.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 5, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

It's more about keeping all the defense related concepts in my head at the same time tbh. Remembering cancels, breakaways, reversals, getting up and not getting up, dashing and all that, and then stuffing that in my brain in a way where I actually do the correct thing instead of running face fist into a foot. That's what I mean when I say "not busy dying", I guess.

i'd say don't worry about all the mechanics at once. instead, get used to using the one(s) thats most natural / easy, THEN start intentionally using a new one. eventually you'll get the hang of using that one when it's appropriate. and repeat

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

b_d posted:

i'd say don't worry about all the mechanics at once. instead, get used to using the one(s) thats most natural / easy, THEN start intentionally using a new one. eventually you'll get the hang of using that one when it's appropriate. and repeat

b_d has the right of it, just choose 1 thing to work on, and go online and make a concerted effort to use X mechanic. Like don't focus on winning, just focus on successfully using the mechanic you chose until you feel you have a grasp on it. Then do it for Y mechanic. Repeat ad nauseum.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 5, 2021

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Reiley posted:

There's too many different kinds of fighting game and that's the thing that hurts them the most. Oh you like fighting games? Sorry I don't play 3D games. Nah I'm not into streetfighterlikes. Do you like airdashers? Oh, not those ones. Ahh.

It's honestly way easier to get a game of Smash going, there's only like three major games and most people play at most two of them.

i mean, there's 10 billion different types of fps and that genre's fine

chumbler posted:

Honestly Darkstalkers would probably have a stronger chance at a broader reception than like Rival Schools or Powerstone or probably even Capcom VS. It's pretty stylish and would fit in a gap somewhere between SF and a more approachable Marvel which is never happening again anyway. Particularly if they can swing a good art team for it. They'd just have to not rely on the name alone carrying it like it does for SF.

no joke, if they double down on horney, capcom would do well on neo-darkstalkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Madmarker posted:

b_d has the right of it, just choose 1 thing to work on, and go online and make a concerted effort to use X mechanic. Like don't focus on winning, just focus on successfully using the mechanic you chose until you feel you have a grasp on it. Then do it for Y mechanic. Repeat ad nauseum.

This makes sense. I got overwhelmed with the one million things you can do from the main menu but when I started the story it was all a mess gradually converging into something workable anyway, as it must always be.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 5, 2021