Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw Master of Disguise in the theater.

it was so incredibly bad.

I literally remember nothing of the movie other than a really long joke explaining tiny nuts and the bad guy makes a big fart in a pool when he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Even in the past few years you'd have a good skit appear once every few episodes on SNL, then pretty much since the pandemic it's been unwatchable dogshit. Maybe the one good writer died.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

That's Musk's whole thing. He wormed into Tesla and got ownership and made a huge fuss over anyone saying he didn't make it.

iirc his contribution to Paypal even was just that he could afford FDIC insurance

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

Period? They've been doing it since SNL started.

Blues Bros
Cone heads
Wayne's World
Night at the Roxbury
Stuart Smalley
Its pat
That Catholic student sniffing her armpits
The ladies man
Mcgrueber

If there's a moderately popular bit, Lorne will get a film going.

I'm surprised they didn't find a way to do a cowbell movie.

its tailed off a ton

like blues brothers was 1980 and macgruber was 2010 and those were the real outlier timewise

between like waynes world in 92 and the ladies man in 2000 there were like 8 of them in the mid 90s

it went from being like 1 a year to like 1 in 20 years

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has issued a correction as of 01:34 on May 4, 2021

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Jorma fought for weeks to get them to do the first macgruber skit

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
There's like 10 sandler movies that technically aren't SNL characters but should count. Like there was no operaman movie but the whole happy gilmore billy madison wedding singer little nicky waterboy run all very snl movie vibes. corky romano rear end mf

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I caught myself watching zohan the other day and that movie is unreal

adam sandler is idf and does warcrimes on rob schneider, a palestinian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP_INQnSAiE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Has sound:
https://i.imgur.com/urRZXBz.mp4

Meet the new starship, same as the old starship

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

how is no one laughing? lol

at least the explosion sounds cool

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has sound:

Will they ever not explode

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has sound:

loving losers. imagine seeing a cool rear end explosion like that and going 'awwwww" instead of cheering

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has sound:

Don't make fun of my Kerbal Space Program gameplay

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has sound:

when was this

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So does Musk have a plan for when he inevitably blows up a bunch of astronauts?

Seems like the kind of thing that’d hurt the profit margins.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a reason they're doing testing with a bunch of water towers rather than anything important

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bideo James posted:

when was this

April 30th I think but idk if they delayed that actual launch due to weather conditions. It's their most recent launch iirc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

remember when billions in showtime killed their musk analogy with a failed rocket launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EelaDi13P1s

rip

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Has sound:

Elon my man, this wouldn't happen if you were strapped to the rocket. Your team would be incentivized to work as hard as possible to bring it down safely.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

why did we abandon the shuttle system?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bideo James posted:

It was hugely expensive, not as reusable as it was advertised, and killed more astronauts than all other spacecraft ever made put together.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Bideo James posted:

the mission the shuttle was for, to cheaply put satellites up in orbit, was impossible because refurbishing a plane that comes back from orbit is expensive and also the thing was a deathtrap that exploded all the time

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Malleum posted:

the mission the shuttle was for, to cheaply put satellites up in orbit, was impossible because refurbishing a plane that comes back from orbit is expensive and also the thing was a deathtrap that exploded all the time

huh weird, looks like musk is on a speed run

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So does Musk have a plan for when he inevitably blows up a bunch of astronauts?

Seems like the kind of thing that’d hurt the profit margins.

You won't care

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hillary 2024 posted:

Elon my man, this wouldn't happen if you were strapped to the rocket. Your team would be incentivized to work as hard as possible to bring it down safely.

Someone tweet this at him, but like, more convincing. Please.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I expected the second starship water tower to fall over. I am disappointed. Though it is nice they keep exploding, so much data

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Malleum posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_design_process#Air_Force_involvement

quote:

The Air Force also hoped that a shuttle could retrieve Soviet satellites and quickly land.

The shuttle was a compromise because the Air Force got involved and they insisted on a space vehicle that could capture russian spy satellites and bring them back to earth for analysis. So NASA scrapped the Apollo program before they got any big ideas about building a moon base and the shuttle turned out to not be as useful as was promised

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

commando in tophat posted:

I expected the second starship water tower to fall over. I am disappointed. Though it is nice they keep exploding, so much data

So they built a third one. That one burned down, fell over and then sank into the swamp.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

April 30th I think but idk if they delayed that actual launch due to weather conditions. It's their most recent launch iirc

looks like it was sn9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw09P4SoyC

I think the next crash is scheduled for today sometime

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Tubgoat posted:

So they built a third one. That one burned down, fell over and then sank into the swamp.

Eventually if they build enough of them, you'll be able to get to space by climbing up the wreckage.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheDarkFlame posted:

Eventually if they build enough of them, you'll be able to get to space by climbing up the wreckage.
The Tower of Psychobabble

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Disrupting the space elevator by building space stairs

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

moist turtleneck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP_INQnSAiE

Apperently I read somewhere it's effectively based on a true story except he was having more sex with the clients

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tom Guycot posted:

Cone heads

Coneheads is decent, it's sort of a forgotten movie these days though

moist turtleneck posted:

I saw it once, and the only thing I remember about it is that I got a blowjob in the middle of it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

commando in tophat posted:

I was hoping for a twofer.

How fast do they slap those together anyways?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

We choose to go to the double rocket explosion mishap in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bideo James posted:

building a reusable manned vehicle as a "space truck" to put random commercial satellites into orbit and then retrieve damaged commercial satellites so they could be repaired and relaunched turned out to be a really dumb idea that no one actually wanted

and making considerable design compromises so that the military could use it, only for the military to not actually want to use it after all, only made things worse

to make things even better, the whole project was based on a reusability level and turnaround rate that turned out to be wildly unrealistic

like, when the shuttle was originally built, NASA was talking about retiring every other US rocket design and performing literally all space launches using shuttles, which they expected would be able to launch every week or two. the real launch rate ended up being more like every three months. which also made it a lot less cost-effective because they were getting a lot fewer launches for the money they spent on each orbiter

but they couldn't just toss it out as soon as they realized all that, because just building it at all was such a budget struggle and the political cost of abandoning it would be too high. so NASA management plunged deep into denial and chose to struggle along with the shuttle, regardless of its problems, until it finally killed enough astronauts to generate political support for replacing it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

but they couldn't just toss it out as soon as they realized all that, because just building it at all was such a budget struggle and the political cost of abandoning it would be too high.
Talk about a struggle session.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

and making considerable design compromises so that the military could use it, only for the military to not actually want to use it after all, only made things worse

SpaceX was hosed from the jump because it turns out that the entire impetus for the space race was to develop bombs that could make it all the way to Russia/China and you can’t reuse bombs.

Also military leaders and contractors are joined at the hip so they are financially motivated to waste as much hardware as humanly possible. Which is why the average service life of a humvee in Iraq/Afghanistan was like 25 minutes. You don’t make money by re-using poo poo.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hillary 2024 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_design_process#Air_Force_involvement

The shuttle was a compromise because the Air Force got involved and they insisted on a space vehicle that could capture russian spy satellites and bring them back to earth for analysis. So NASA scrapped the Apollo program before they got any big ideas about building a moon base and the shuttle turned out to not be as useful as was promised

Huh.

Maybe that’s why the Air Force made their own mini shuttle they don’t talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Also military leaders and contractors are joined at the hip so they are financially motivated to waste as much hardware as humanly possible. Which is why the average service life of a humvee in Iraq/Afghanistan was like 25 minutes. You don’t make money by re-using poo poo.

lol "war is a bonfire, you don't need to make something that lasts a moment longer than the statistics give it in combat" isn't some MIC conspiracy, it's the fact that they were building those disposable hummers and charging 250k a piece