Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
turn up NUMBER! NOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
surprisingly, bourgeois ideology is incoherent and disgusting

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
my dream (and i know it won't happen) is that we get circuit breakers for no loving reason

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

calling it. all time highs today. FAITH

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
"money isnt real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the s&p 500 with my remaining meagre savings

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

"money isnt real," i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the s&p 500 with my remaining meagre savings

only through the markets can your money attain true immortality

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

buying the dip. we should all strive to perform saintly actions such as this.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

number crashed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Petey posted:

anyway, the reason the river of meat blood "i" call "myself" started the whole nick land discussion is because i will now be confronting the movements of Number as the mysterious expression of a nonhuman intelligence animating/emanating from a multispecies, time-traveling actor-network whose intentions are not so much hostile to ours as uncaring. we may feel fated to resist number, or (alternatively) feel fated to believe that we can choose to resist it. i celebrate and support that. the number, however, moves

Just one small thing to add wrt the "time traveling" part. From what I understand, Land has some less than orthodox views on causality. It's less "time traveling" in the traditional sense and more of a cybernetic feedback mechanism with a sign flip. Or maybe it's like a reverse feed forward. I picture it as a cybernetic network that is decoupled from our limited perception of time moving in a single direction, and operates in a space os simultaneous temporality. In this case, it's a dialectical operation between the future and the past. So yeah, basically time travel lol. But it's important to note that in that framework, it wouldn't be a phenomenon limited to just techno-capital. It's also a materialist way of opening up a sort of fluid teleology.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
How is Number today?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Norton posted:

Everything is self-serving for the elites, that's what they do. Death being a permanent end to your consciousness is an idea that the elites use in combination with their guns and henchmen to scare people into submission via threats of death. That doesn't make the idea that death ends your consciousness wrong though. Elites will abuse you with everything they can, I don't think that's a good metric for determining which ideas to believe.

And anyway, from my experience the elites love the concept of free will and use it all the time to blame poor and incarcerated people for their problems. It goes hand in hand with the just world fallacy. People have free will to choose their fates, so anything bad that happens is your own fault! Do you think a single politician would argue and say free will doesn't exist? Where are you seeing all these elites saying they don't believe in free will?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/27/the-clockwork-universe-is-free-will-an-illusion

quote:

Nothing could be more self-evident. And yet according to a growing chorus of philosophers and scientists, who have a variety of different reasons for their view, it also can’t possibly be the case. “This sort of free will is ruled out, simply and decisively, by the laws of physics,” says one of the most strident of the free will sceptics, the evolutionary biologist Jerry Coyne. Leading psychologists such as Steven Pinker and Paul Bloom agree, as apparently did the late Stephen Hawking, along with numerous prominent neuroscientists, including VS Ramachandran, who called free will “an inherently flawed and incoherent concept” in his endorsement of Sam Harris’s bestselling 2012 book Free Will, which also makes that argument. According to the public intellectual Yuval Noah Harari, free will is an anachronistic myth – useful in the past, perhaps, as a way of motivating people to fight against tyrants or oppressive ideologies, but rendered obsolete by the power of modern data science to know us better than we know ourselves, and thus to predict and manipulate our choices.

But yes, you are correct. The elites very much see it as “free will for thee and not for me”

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

my dream (and i know it won't happen) is that we get circuit breakers for no loving reason

It would be very cool

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/27/the-clockwork-universe-is-free-will-an-illusion

But yes, you are correct. The elites very much see it as “free will for thee and not for me”

Gotta love science nerds doing baby's first philosophy while the press uncritically sucks them off :allears:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

yeah lol the most common "free will isn't real" belief is more accurately summarized as "most humans are NPC drones who don't have free will, unlike me" which is pretty much reactionary ideology in a nutshell.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Does dogecoin not have a mining ceiling? Like bitcoin and its' 20~ million hard limit?

Why would anyone buy doge if it's infinitely minable?

the 20 million limit isn't really hard either, since mining is centralized they can just change to protocol to be like doge

some austrian nerds will of course freak out and fork into bitcoin satoshi vision mark IV but noone will care

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah lol the most common "free will isn't real" belief is more accurately summarized as "most humans are NPC drones who don't have free will, unlike me" which is pretty much reactionary ideology in a nutshell.

believing that free will and consciousness are just illusions are a great way for a capitalist to cope with exploiting hundreds/thousands of people for personal benefit.

those are not people i am just interacting with the environment!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Doge is worth 2 quarters (1/2) now

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zodium posted:

[....] a mystical take on the complexity view of history, a related but somewhat different approach from Land's, and probably closer to my own views really, which takes scale as the driving agent of history. a properly Landian pantheon would cast Feudalism as one god, Nationalism as another god, Communism as another, Capital as another, etc., with Land's particular views ending up on a kind of capitalist monotheism. iirc Danger recommended me the book Cyclonopedia a while ago on here, which uses Land's method to contrast the middle east as a sentient entity against capitalism, and if the writing doesn't melt your brain (perhaps because, like mine, it already melted long ago) it's a fun exploration of a "landian occultism."

Nice, thanks for the recs!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1389598499730231302?s=19

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1389599933481644032?s=19

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1389598009768488962?s=19

They are coming to realize they broke everything

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 16:22 on May 4, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Does dogecoin not have a mining ceiling? Like bitcoin and its' 20~ million hard limit?

Why would anyone buy doge if it's infinitely minable?

some do it because they are stupid bazinga types who are true believers in the church of the singularity where apartheid clyde proselytizes from his twitter pulpit

others do it because they realize that their best chance for a decent future in hellworld is to roll the dice and hopefully come up a winner

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Blinkz posted:

I mean I have to ask this. Like what exactly is the endgame for Doge coin? Do true believers think that one day I'm going to throw away my credit cards and USD and be digitally trading coins with a dog's face on it for groceries or am I thinking about this too hard?

pretty sure dogecoin was started as a joke so the use of "true believer" here confuses me

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

pretty sure dogecoin was started as a joke so the use of "true believer" here confuses me

welcome to the future, where things (and people) are dumber than you could possibly imagine

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

slam this poo poo in my veins

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/FinancialJuice/status/1389598791653855242

holy gently caress number will die

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

They can't raise rates. Can you imagine the western world with even 5% interest in 2025? No way they can do it without collapsing everything

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gods_Butthole posted:

Just one small thing to add wrt the "time traveling" part. From what I understand, Land has some less than orthodox views on causality. It's less "time traveling" in the traditional sense and more of a cybernetic feedback mechanism with a sign flip. Or maybe it's like a reverse feed forward. I picture it as a cybernetic network that is decoupled from our limited perception of time moving in a single direction, and operates in a space os simultaneous temporality. In this case, it's a dialectical operation between the future and the past. So yeah, basically time travel lol. But it's important to note that in that framework, it wouldn't be a phenomenon limited to just techno-capital. It's also a materialist way of opening up a sort of fluid teleology.

:yeah:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It seems the people behind the markets knew this yellen news was coming, but lmao if it isn't spooking everyone.

Number will be green by end of the day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

she just said : inflation is here , supply side doesn’t work , and we are coming for your money

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

It seems the people behind the markets knew this yellen news was coming, but lmao if it isn't spooking everyone.

Number will be green by end of the day.

it was priced in

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sleep with the vicious posted:

They can't raise rates. Can you imagine the western world with even 5% interest in 2025? No way they can do it without collapsing everything

A .25% rause would collapse everything. The entire system is completely hosed.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
on the one hand, inflation. on the other, stonk ending interest rates. seems like a contradiction to me, but then I’m not a billionaire pedophile and free will haver!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

QQQ qq

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:sickos:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i dunno if the beginning and ending of the universe is set in stone or not but i know no one has any real agency in their lives. personally, i really like the idea that a bunch of empirically measurable constants and physical properties interacting at the beginning of all reality have led to an inevitable trajectory of me buying $300 worth of doge yesterday. that really warms my heart

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

it was priced in

Supposedly a .50 rate hike in 2023 is priced in. Lmao

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I guess cybernetics chat moved in here since r-slur-chat has taken over the theory thread again

Re: demiurge hyperintelligence poo poo: on the same level of "totally unprovable" but an interesting alternate perspective on this is idea that consciousness is the result of the kind of information and control flows that allow for purposeful action in response to the environment. Looked at in that way, a corporate PR department gathering information, reporting the analysis to the executives, who then tell R&D what kind of product to develop, is conscious in the same way that an animal changing it's behavior to find food in a changing environment is, though the scale and specific mechanics of that consciousness are quite different. I haven't gotten into Stafford Beer's stuff enough to have come across this myself but I've heard this idea attributed to him.

Taking that as an assumption paints a somewhat different picture: capitalism itself isn't the higher order intelligence, it's the ecosystem that corporate intelligences exist within. Corporations share similar modes of existence (extracting surplus value from labor, reinvesting that value into capital and "innovation", hoarding excess value) and coordinate in a social manner to reproduce the environment they exist in (via the state and financial institutions), but they also compete with each other and will happily stab each other in the back for slices of market share.

The fact that capitalism itself isn't intelligent is visible in its inability to meaningfully respond to climate change, pandemics, and repeated economic crises. For example the Western pandemic response is just the flailing of corporate entities forcing states to "open r up" as much as possible and just eating the damage from losses in the labor force because they fear the damage to their way of life from a lockdown and "handouts" will be worse.

We should probably have a cybernetics thread lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is no free will. it has all been priced in.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

QQQ puts are up like 2000% lmaoo

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

turd in my singlet posted:

r-slur-chat

forcing states to "open r up"

you motherfucker!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gosh it turns out the booming demand that was supposed to be there through the summer wasn't there. Ah man you are saying the consumer base of the economy are poorer than ever? Raw material prices are skyrocketing still when PMI numbers haven't or barely recovered to prepandemic levels? What is that? GDP growth is just from QE? Permanent 10% unemployment?
Southern Asia and Europe are reentering covid lockdowns and their economies seem to be double dipping?

PawParole posted:

QQQ puts are up like 2000% lmaoo

Now we hit the fun part. Do the prices drop enough to give us more Archegos? ARKK's investments are being pounded.