Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

its the bank bosses wanting to go back (ie. the people who's job it is to micromanage underlings and be in meetings), op

Oh good point and they’re want to get back to spending as much time away from their significant other, kids and more time with their side piece.

It would help if social media started banning vaccine skeptics and anti-vaxxers. They can start with tucker Carlson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Who knew such things of wonder were possible? Bless you india for incubating the cure for global climate change.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Elsewhere people say this thread is full of insane people but the overarching message that we're in the middle of a deadly pandemic with unknown long term effects and caution is warranted doesn't seem too crazy to me? idk

this thread is a little unhealthily afraid but you're not half as bad as the gbs thread. try and relax every now and again, maybe go to the park

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

Napoleon was the greatest man to ever grace this poo poo earth and I WILL dumpster any clown that dares disparage his greatness.

We are lucky he over reached. If all of europe and the usa rolled their Rs covid would have been much much worse with a r0 way above 10

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dolphin posted:

he knows. every time i ask if he wants to fire up the grill and drink and watch poo poo or whatever he's like "i don't have money" so i just bring over the beer and meat. he's on my netflix and hulu and poo poo too. ive never felt like more of a baller rolling in the dough and helping out my poor job-having friends.

the two times I’ve been on unemployment were some of the best months of my life.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

a lot of Indians are on-board with full fash

Yea I don't think people know how pernicious Modi and the BJP are. Current Indian culture has a lot of hallmarks of lovely white culture, over reliance on capitalism and consumerism, a caste system that is heavily racist and a massive hard on for muslim genocide. The reason why the undercounting is so important, is because Modi is stating that Indian genes are superior to everyone else, which is insane.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this thread is a little unhealthily afraid but you're not half as bad as the gbs thread. try and relax every now and again, maybe go to the park

buy an elastomeric

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

im afraid of nothing b/c i have an elastomeric. i am untouchable

i just refuse to dine out

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if only mid sassinator posted just buy an elastomeric more often he'd still be alive

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lmao the GBS thread is unironically posting about that scientific american article being cool and good.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

strong crack ping to start my day

great news! only 85 *confirmed* simultaneous positive cases in one school! Open er uppppppppppppppppppppp
These god drat motherfuckers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

meanwhile in japan

https://twitter.com/nattobeanjean/status/1389597230357692421?s=20

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Admiral Ray posted:

I didn't read this thread yesterday but I'm sure none of the news posted was as important as this:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1389578391347765251?s=20

patiently waiting to create protagonists that don't exist because I'm a huge scared pussy

https://twitter.com/wakeari60/status/1389581890949206024?s=20

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
who would win, the most intelligent and technologically advanced species on the planet, or some mindless strands of RNA?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
If you wanna get all tin hat and conspiracy this is another thing happening with the variants so far in Brazil and rumblings in India as well. The variants for some reason are increasingly deadlier for pregnant woman.

https://twitter.com/GHS/status/1389515171647873028

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This dude goes in depth, scouring newspapers to see how bad the undercount is within Gujarat state (Modi/BJP homebase).

https://twitter.com/deepakpatel_91/status/1389459777311363073

https://twitter.com/deepakpatel_91/status/1389455424831713281

https://twitter.com/deepakpatel_91/status/1389464707413823488

https://twitter.com/deepakpatel_91/status/1389437127868358657

https://twitter.com/deepakpatel_91/status/1389096759897432065

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cross-posting this, the pandemic has apparently been great business for health insurers:

https://www.kff.org/private-insurance/issue-brief/health-insurer-financial-performance-in-2020/

quote:

Health Insurer Financial Performance in 2020

As the coronavirus pandemic took shape in the U.S. in the early months of 2020, there was some uncertainty about how it would impact the financial performance of health insurers. Hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers cancelled elective procedures to free up beds, staff and supplies early in the pandemic and to limit unnecessary exposure and risk of infection. Patients also opted to forgo non-urgent care to limit risks and exposure to the virus. These dynamics led to an unprecedented decrease in health care spending and utilization during the Spring of 2020. Though spending rebounded through the second half of the year, health spending was somewhat lower in 2020 than it had been in 2019, making last year the first time in recorded history that health spending has dropped in the U.S. Simultaneously, the economic crisis and resulting job losses drove shifts in health coverage across multiple markets, including seemingly modest decreases in employer-based coverage through September but substantial enrollment increases in Medicaid managed care and Medicaid broadly. During this period, enrollment in Medicare Advantage plans offered by private insurers continued to tick upward.

We find that, by the end of 2020, gross margins per member per month across these four markets remained relatively high and medical loss ratios were relatively low or flat compared to recent years. These findings suggest that many insurers remained profitable through 2020. According to a recent KFF analysis, commercial insurers are going to owe substantial rebates to consumers this year under the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Medical Loss Ratio provision.
For Medicaid, application of risk sharing arrangements that many states have in place may ultimately reduce overall margins calculated using the annual NAIC data.

Through the end of 2020, gross margins among individual market and fully-insured group market plans were 4% and 16% higher, respectively, than they were in 2019. However, gross margins among fully-insured group market plans remained relatively flat in 2020 when compared to 2018, and gross margins among individual market plans decreased by 14% in 2020 when compared to 2018, a year in which individual market insurers over-corrected when setting premiums following the loss of cost-sharing subsidy payments. Annual gross margins among Medicare Advantage plans were 24% higher in 2020 compared to 2019 and 31% higher when compared to 2018. (Gross margins per member per month for Medicare Advantage plans tend to be higher than for other health insurance markets mainly because Medicare covers an older, sicker population with higher average costs).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not to mention winning the Olympics sucks for a city in the long run.

High cost that gets offloaded onto Muni budgets, even more clueless tourists wandering around the town clogging up traffic and drove even more gentrification in places like London's East End.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Death By The Blues posted:

This dude goes in depth, scouring newspapers to see how bad the undercount is within Gujarat state (Modi/BJP homebase).

It's like the video from Italy of the guy taking 15 minutes just flipping through pages of local newspaper obituaries.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Not to mention winning the Olympics sucks for a city in the long run.

High cost that gets offloaded onto Muni budgets, even more clueless tourists wandering around the town clogging up traffic and drove even more gentrification in places like London's East End.

The saddest part for the Japanese public is they already have that sunk cost. The Government is desperate to hold the Olympics to try and salvage whatever financial benefits they can and its going to be a giant disaster, even moreso than usual years.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea it was specifically one part of Italy that was hard hit. This is an entire state that is at catastrophic levels with the population of Italy.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

just got my first pfizer shot this morning

pros: no side effects so far

cons: guberment can now GPS track me for life

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1389590782605205509

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pead posted:

The saddest part for the Japanese public is they already have that sunk cost. The Government is desperate to hold the Olympics to try and salvage whatever financial benefits they can and its going to be a giant disaster, even moreso than usual years.

There's also no finance benefits when you factor in everything like additional stadiums and infrastructure.

I think only a few historical Olympics ended up being a positive respect like the LA once since they could easily utilize local college stadiums for the events.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gresh posted:

Don't worry precision bombing is a myth.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yea it was specifically one part of Italy that was hard hit. This is an entire state that is at catastrophic levels with the population of Italy.

Yeah pretty much the whole rickety indian health care system got saturated and fell apart.

At the every man for himself stage of collapse with basics like oxygen tanks running out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

writes about season ticket holders

includes photo of the five dollar bleacher seats

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gresh posted:

A successful Goon trip report.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

fosborb posted:

jfc, 80% of finserv execs want the front line back at least 4 days a week? Jamie Dimon is a loving monster

wow look at the time

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/sarregoeswest/status/1389592864296943617

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gresh posted:

you should call in sick with side effects anyway, you haven't been able to call in sick for more than a year without having to get tested/quarantine so might as well take advantage of it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gresh posted:

Did you also get your first smartphone?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

We still don't know if the vax is sterilizing, right?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

We still don't know if the vax is sterilizing, right?

Eh I think there's pretty strong indications at this point that it is.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

must be nice to be a white liberal with no kids who thinks that because you're vaccinated that everybody else needs to cater to your extreme want for things to be back to normal.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Louisgod posted:

must be nice to be a white liberal with no kids who thinks that because you're vaccinated that everybody else needs to cater to your extreme want for things to be back to normal.

Caring or even having a second of thought for anything beyond yourself is actually a sign of mental illness, get therapy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

I didn't read this thread yesterday but I'm sure none of the news posted was as important as this:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1389578391347765251?s=20

Squid looks pretty cool to me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

If you wanna get all tin hat and conspiracy this is another thing happening with the variants so far in Brazil and rumblings in India as well. The variants for some reason are increasingly deadlier for pregnant woman.

https://twitter.com/GHS/status/1389515171647873028

I wonder how much of the India/Brazil issues are them being worse than most the world or them bring at the wrong intersection of rich enough to have somewhat reliable coverage and normally semi-functional medical systems but poor and crowded enough that they can't control spread. Are we just not hearing about most of the global south even if they are also overrun?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thesaurus posted:

strong crack ping to start my day

great news! only 85 *confirmed* simultaneous positive cases in one school! Open er uppppppppppppppppppppp

lmao that might kill more people ultimately than the school shooters that made columbine known nationally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

Eh I think there's pretty strong indications at this point that it is.

??? like, confers sterilizing immunity 95% of the time, or where are you getting this? we have lots of cases of fully vaccinated people still getting covid

not that anyone was really expecting HPV levels of protection right out of the gate