Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I meant to say Apex Rathian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I really like the drippy poison effect on Apex Rathian's tail and I kinda wish there was an apex armor set that had that.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

fake dreadqueen

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Does the extra 30% damage from minds eye work for ranged weapons too or is it just for melee weapons?

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You can't get them from rampages - only from the normal apex hunts.

This is wrong, I’ve definitely gotten lazulites and blood jewels on red7 rampages. It’s new after the patch or something, not sure about the lower levels.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

new kind of cat posted:

This is wrong, I’ve definitely gotten lazulites and blood jewels on red7 rampages. It’s new after the patch or something, not sure about the lower levels.

Then they must be so rare that they aren't worth doing if you're specifically farming for lazurites cause i've never seen any of said jewels in red 7* rampages.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Does the extra 30% damage from minds eye work for ranged weapons too or is it just for melee weapons?

Apparently it doesn't apply to shot attacks. At least that's what I was told by someone who tested it. It might be too good if it was able to basically make anything a functional weak point, I suppose, since shot damage is mostly gray on all parts except one generally.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Then they must be so rare that they aren't worth doing if you're specifically farming for lazurites cause i've never seen any of said jewels in red 7* rampages.

Yeah, no idea how rare that might be, I just noticed 2-3 of each in a few runs of mine, I’ll have to pay more attention. Probably not the ideal way to farm, but it’s there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apex hunts are real fun so that's a good answer at least, thanks.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Alxprit posted:

Apparently it doesn't apply to shot attacks. At least that's what I was told by someone who tested it. It might be too good if it was able to basically make anything a functional weak point, I suppose, since shot damage is mostly gray on all parts except one generally.

That’s what I figured. I knew it had to be too strong for that to be the case lol

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My friend and I were talking about old armors we want to see again, and we couldn't remember the name of the set that looked like a metal Anubis head. Wiki browsing didn't help, but it did remind me of how dope the Deviant armors were and now I'm thinking I need to dust off GU again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crowetron posted:

My friend and I were talking about old armors we want to see again, and we couldn't remember the name of the set that looked like a metal Anubis head. Wiki browsing didn't help, but it did remind me of how dope the Deviant armors were and now I'm thinking I need to dust off GU again.

Are you talking about this one?

It's Kushala's Master Rank Beta Armor.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are you talking about this one?

It's Kushala's Master Rank Beta Armor.

No, it was definitely in the older graphics style. I did forget about that one, though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Kushala palico set is really good in Ultimate, if that's the same monster from that older game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

it looks like it was the Helios set from 3.

Did it get brought back in 4 or G? I coulda sworn I remember seeing it on a tiny DS screen. Anyway, my original point was bring back Deviants, Capcom.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Crowetron posted:

Did it get brought back in 4 or G? I coulda sworn I remember seeing it on a tiny DS screen. Anyway, my original point was bring back Deviants, Capcom.

Hell yeah, Helios set.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Crowetron posted:

3U was a game that existed :v:

But seriously yes the absence of deviant armors is such a missed opportunity as to be baffling. I have to imagine that they are holding it back in anticipation of a better system in a later update, because I can't see the devs permanently locking out armor possibilities for a whole subset of monsters. Maybe other Hunting Action game devs, but not MonHun.

Then again, Pokemon did block out entire chunks of their Pokedex, so anything goes these days when it comes to bonehead moves.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Is freedom unite worth getting for the vita?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

are you a masochist

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPtEfYGXq_8

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

if you wanna get something from the PSP era at least get a translated version of Portable 3rd

anything before that is so janky it's nothing but painful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my favorite psp monster Hunter game is metal gear solid peace walker

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

my favorite psp monster Hunter game is metal gear solid peace walker

This is my favorite goofy thing from MGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEnsXeQmKpc

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is my favorite goofy thing from MGS

Snake ending with "hmmm..." and not "hmmm...tasty" is criminal.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i hope they make a really beefy hugely fat apex tetranodon. the only issues with that monster is that it's too easy and too skinny. the apex version starts out twice as fat as the post-meal regular one and keeps growing from there.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Foul Fowl posted:

i hope they make a really beefy hugely fat apex tetranodon. the only issues with that monster is that it's too easy and too skinny. the apex version starts out twice as fat as the post-meal regular one and keeps growing from there.

Source your weird fetish quotes please

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Peace Walker was actually my first exposure to Monster Hunter, I had no idea what Rathalos and Tigrex even were or why they were there lol.
The giant robots in that game aren't very popular since they didn't have the personality of classic Metal Gear Solid bosses but I always enjoyed fighting them a lot. In retrospect they basically are just sci-fi Monster Hunter bosses, you target different parts of their body to break them and get a chance for special drops. They were pretty cool imo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's a fat turtle with a duckbill that eats a lot dude, idk what to tell you, i think it'd be cool if there was a fatter one that was really brutal to fight.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Foul Fowl posted:

Foul Fowl posted:

it's a fat turtle with a duckbill that eats a lot dude, idk what to tell you, i think it'd be cool if there was a fatter one that was really brutal to fight.

:hmmyes: i like it

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Add some stomach spikes he can shoot out and he'd be a good Kraid for a Metroid event battle.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
In the past 10 hunts, there's been 2+ LBG/bow users every single time. Often there were 3. The new meta is here, lads.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tempura Wizard posted:

In the past 10 hunts, there's been 2+ LBG/bow users every single time. Often there were 3. The new meta is here, lads.

Meet the new meta. Same as the old meta.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bowgunning for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal Lance set (which I never play), then continuing to bowgun for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal horn set (which I also never play), then continuing to bowgun for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal (etc).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bring back the Ice Tetranodon, Zamtrios

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

when i broke into HR, using CB for all of LR, I decided that I wanted to try LBG to see what all the fuss was. I have beaten the game now and Im too scared to go back to CB since Im convinced Ill get pasted due to all the bad habits ive internalized thanks to LBG being baby easy mode

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Freedom 2/Unite on the PSP was my first exposure to the series.

When I played World, I wondered if maybe I had grown more patience, or an appreciation for aspects of the game through Dark Souls. Seeing this again kind of just validates that, no, those old games were just kind of stupid jank lol.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How long is the tutorial on this thing? Like how long before I can group with someone give or take?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How long is the tutorial on this thing? Like how long before I can group with someone give or take?

Like…. Almost immediately? I think there’s a single mission that walks you through the controls that takes like 5 minutes and after that you can ignore the village missions and jump right into hub/online

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like…. Almost immediately? I think there’s a single mission that walks you through the controls that takes like 5 minutes and after that you can ignore the village missions and jump right into hub/online

Cool. I know I got this Sunday but life's been busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Freedom 2/Unite on the PSP was my first exposure to the series.

When I played World, I wondered if maybe I had grown more patience, or an appreciation for aspects of the game through Dark Souls. Seeing this again kind of just validates that, no, those old games were just kind of stupid jank lol.
yea it seems like most people in the west (or maybe even US specifically?) got into monhun with Freedom Unite and thus there's a huge amount of nostalgia for it in the community

i've heard people say it's the best one in the series as late as mhgu and i gave it an honest try but it..... it's just so janky. hitboxes are terrible and the hit confirm effects are so anemic that a lot of the time it's hard to tell if you or the monster are actually hitting each other. 3rd gen onwards feels fine to me however.