Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't seen it in well over 20 years, but it came out around the same time as the Tommy Lee Jones film Volcano about a volcano erupting in downtown LA. I remember liking Volcano better than Dante's Peak as a kid. I'm sure neither one wholds up very well.

To be honest, I only remember that Volcano's Tagline was "The Coast is Toast." And that's only because one of my friends back in High School used to add "bitch" to every sentence, so it will forever be "The Coast is Toast, bitch" to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I started watching Gilmore Girls and now I can't stop aaaaaaaaa I'm turning into my mum

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Simone Magus posted:

I started watching Gilmore Girls and now I can't stop aaaaaaaaa I'm turning into my mum

It's not without its faults, but it's really a great show. When I first started watching it back in the day I idolized Laurelai and loathed Emily, and as I've gotten older I've realized that Laurelai is really actually not a great person, and I now have a great deal of sympathy for Emily, even if she hasn't been perfect herself.

Now the reboot a couple of years ago was utter garbage, and I want them to do just one more season to rectify the wrongs they did with that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mortal Kombat owns. Very goofy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

It's not without its faults, but it's really a great show. When I first started watching it back in the day I idolized Laurelai and loathed Emily, and as I've gotten older I've realized that Laurelai is really actually not a great person, and I now have a great deal of sympathy for Emily, even if she hasn't been perfect herself.

Now the reboot a couple of years ago was utter garbage, and I want them to do just one more season to rectify the wrongs they did with that.

Yeah, it's a show where the quality of the moment to moment dialogue and acting are so good that the issues with the premise aren't a big deal.

Like, it's so blatantly positioning itself as "this is a hip show about smart hip people who drink coffee and listen to smart music and buy locally sourced coffee" but then the inciting incident of the show is "hell yeah, private school!" Lol.

The side characters are great too, Sookie and Luke and the French guy etc

Just a solid ensemble show

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah, it's a show where the quality of the moment to moment dialogue and acting are so good that the issues with the premise aren't a big deal.

Like, it's so blatantly positioning itself as "this is a hip show about smart hip people who drink coffee and listen to smart music and buy locally sourced coffee" but then the inciting incident of the show is "hell yeah, private school!" Lol.

The side characters are great too, Sookie and Luke and the French guy etc

Just a solid ensemble show

It's great that Amy Sherman Palladino is finally getting the recognition for the Marvelous Mrs Maisel that she should have gotten 20 years ago for Gilmore Girls. Both Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop should have gotten Emmys for the show back in the day.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Without Remorse (Prime) is about as shallow as you would expect, but the action (which is most of the movie) is solidly filmed if you're into that sort of thing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I started watching Invincible and, man, it sure is something. It can sometimes be a little hard to watch, but it's definitely keeping my interest. The demon detective is cool.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

DorianGravy posted:

I started watching Invincible and, man, it sure is something. It can sometimes be a little hard to watch, but it's definitely keeping my interest. The demon detective is cool.

Thought you were talking about that Marky Mark football movie and got real confused.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I love how the title screen always pops up A. When a character says the word, and B. Really loud and obnoxiously interrupting the scene. It reminds me of comic books featuring the big fancy-lettered character name logo in a speech balloon sometimes on the opening splash page.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Mitchells vs The Machines was really funny and the animation is fantastic at times. It's a stupid kids movie but I enjoyed it a lot. The Furby scene had me laughing out loud

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Stayne Falls posted:

I love how the title screen always pops up A. When a character says the word, and B. Really loud and obnoxiously interrupting the scene. It reminds me of comic books featuring the big fancy-lettered character name logo in a speech balloon sometimes on the opening splash page.

I've been bursting in laughter every time it happens. I'm still not done, but Invincible has been pretty good so far.

Another animation I saw these days was Yasuke. It has its issues, the music is so drat good, gorgeous backgrounds, but I think being having so few episodes made it feel all rushed and it's like there's a lot of missing scenes and lore that makes the last two episodes a bit confusing. The creator claims they are gonna make more seasons, and if they do I hope they polish the scripts more. (At least I got to enjoy seeing a giant russian werebear woman in it)

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

I've been bursting in laughter every time it happens. I'm still not done, but Invincible has been pretty good so far.

Another animation I saw these days was Yasuke. It has its issues, the music is so drat good, gorgeous backgrounds, but I think being having so few episodes made it feel all rushed and it's like there's a lot of missing scenes and lore that makes the last two episodes a bit confusing. The creator claims they are gonna make more seasons, and if they do I hope they polish the scripts more. (At least I got to enjoy seeing a giant russian werebear woman in it)

Yeah the soundtrack is AMAZING! FlyLo really put his heart and soul into it and it shows.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Raised by Wolves isn't a mystery box unless you approach it like that. Which some people with very beep boop tendencies can't seem to help but do. If you accept the show is about the ride and not getting dry, straight forward answers it's a lot more satisfying.

if you are watching it with the attitude of "how are they going to explain this?" you are watching the wrong show and should probably check out CSI or something instead. The correct way to watch raised by wolves is to anticipate what wild poo poo is going to happen next while you soak up the fantastic visuals and awesome cast (ok Campion isn't that awesome)

I gave up on the show before finishing the 1st Season bc the plot advancement slowed to a crawl and it relied on weird poo poo to pad the running time to an insulting degree.

So yeah the Lost reference is applicable.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Glottis posted:

The Mitchells vs The Machines was really funny and the animation is fantastic at times. It's a stupid kids movie but I enjoyed it a lot. The Furby scene had me laughing out loud

Yeah, it's hella charming. I liked the central conflict between the dad and daughter a lot. Felt real to life and not dumb.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Glottis posted:

Yeah I absolutely loved it, gave me strong Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs vibes. Big funny

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Under Siege is on Netflix. I'd never seen it. Goddamn what a movie. Seagal is at his best, Gary Busey is in drag, there's playboy titties, and Tommy Lee Jones is basically the joker.

Also, O'Brien has the worst holosuite battle fantasy of his life.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Under Siege is on Netflix. I'd never seen it. Goddamn what a movie. Seagal is at his best, Gary Busey is in drag, there's playboy titties, and Tommy Lee Jones is basically the joker.

Fun fact: I helped with some of the fight choreography, sort of.

Short story: Seagal spent a little time with an aikido master that I was training with. Seagal asked him to arrange a few things that would look cool for the film, and I helped Carmen (aikido master) work it out. None of the elaborate stuff we came up with was used, but Seagal did like what we showed him. I've been around Seagal several times, and he was always a dick.

Also, I hate aikido. But yeah it is a fun film.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 4, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Dragonslayer tonight on Amazon Prime. It's a fantasy movie from 1981, with magic, a dragon, and gorgeous scenery (from Wales and Scotland). I really enjoyed it. The dragon is especially cool, and the movie has a nice 80s fantasy feel. I'm tempted to say that it wants to be a fantasy Star Wars. It's a touch on the slow side, but worth watching if you like 80s movies and/or fantasy. Also, I learned from Wikipedia that the dragon is called "Vermithrax Pejoritive," which is a rad name for a dragon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Die Hard on a ship and it’s really good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

isaboo posted:

Short story: Seagal spent a little time with an aikido master that I was training with. Seagal asked him to arrange a few things that would look cool for the film, and I helped Carmen (aikido master) work it out. None of the elaborate stuff we came up with was used, but Seagal did like what we showed him. I've been around Seagal several times, and he was always a dick.

Every story I've heard about Seagal ranges from "total dick" to "actual monster" so the only think that would shock me was if he was pleasant and nice to you.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

isaboo posted:

wow, that's awesome

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k
Ends Friday. Looks like it will be at this point
9 new episodes and a streaming platform they are trying to consolidate cinematic titanic and its ilk under one roof.
I'm interested in seeing the "virtual theater" approach
Mst3k was the eye of the storm for many dark days so I'm in

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I finished Behind Her Eyes and what the gently caress lol. It starts to get a bit weird like fully over halfway through and by the end it's a full on Stephen King thriller with actual, unambiguous supernatural stuff. Which, again, the first like four hours of the show gave zero indication it was going that way.

I can't decide if it's great or terrible, but it's definitely trashy fun. And just loving lol at the ending.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im really enjoying The Mosquito Coast so far and Im pretty shocked to see the bad reviews.

Fun fact, the author of the book is Justin Therouxs uncle and Louis Therouxs dad.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

I finished Behind Her Eyes and what the gently caress lol. It starts to get a bit weird like fully over halfway through and by the end it's a full on Stephen King thriller with actual, unambiguous supernatural stuff. Which, again, the first like four hours of the show gave zero indication it was going that way.

I can't decide if it's great or terrible, but it's definitely trashy fun. And just loving lol at the ending.

Yeah, the first 4 episodes I was thinking I was watching an interesting psychological thriller. Then it went off the rails hard.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Turambar posted:

Yeah, the first 4 episodes I was thinking I was watching an interesting psychological thriller. Then it went off the rails hard.

It's funny because like, they sort of gave hints, like Rob screaming "I prefer cock!", and the whole bit with David saying "i don't know what happened to that girl". I thought it was just that she was crazy and David and Rob had an affair, but HAHA NOPE BODY SWITCHING JUNKIE SCOTSMAN OUTTA NOWHERE

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I tried that Voyagers movie that Prime kept throwing at me, and it was pretty bleh. It's pretty much just Lord of the Flies in space, and not all that good at it. The setting was pretty awkwardly contrived to the point where it started getting in the way of immersion, but it was the ending in particular that fell flat: Turns out that to solve everything, the only thing to do is find the one Bad Person and remove them and society is saved. The entire thematic conflict between altruism and egoism is completely externalized into one villain, who is neatly disposed of. There's never any sort of reckoning with the fact most of the crew was pretty on board with the tyranny, just a one-sentence aside that they'll try more democracy in the future which apparently solves everything.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k
Ends Friday. Looks like it will be at this point
9 new episodes and a streaming platform they are trying to consolidate cinematic titanic and its ilk under one roof.
I'm interested in seeing the "virtual theater" approach
Mst3k was the eye of the storm for many dark days so I'm in

I'm confused it says 78% funded but then 4.3 million pledged and the target was 2 million?

Regardless I kicked them a few bucks because gently caress yeah more mst3k.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Field Mousepad posted:

I'm confused it says 78% funded but then 4.3 million pledged and the target was 2 million?

Regardless I kicked them a few bucks because gently caress yeah more mst3k.

The 2 million was the initial goal, the 78% is referencing the stretch goals. They're looking for 5.5 million to completely fund all of the stretch goals.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ahh ok thanks for clarifying

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

you mfers made me try Invincible again and I can't handle out hackneyed the "hide your identity" from your gf plot is, this show is terrible

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I watched the first episode of Invincible last night and for some reason I was under the impression that this was a comedy.

I don’t know why, but something about the animation style really rubs me the wrong way. Is there a name for this style? It just feels very stiff or something, I can’t describe it exactly. It’s weird because I watch a ton of animated shows so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ll still probably watch the whole thing because of quarantine though

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005

Deadite posted:

Is there a name for this style?

Cheap

But I'm digging the unexpected gore.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Deadite posted:

I watched the first episode of Invincible last night and for some reason I was under the impression that this was a comedy.

I don’t know why, but something about the animation style really rubs me the wrong way. Is there a name for this style? It just feels very stiff or something, I can’t describe it exactly. It’s weird because I watch a ton of animated shows so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ll still probably watch the whole thing because of quarantine though

It is made by the walking dead guy so comedy was never an option.
The style is called we didn't have a very big budget or very much time to animate this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

trying to white knuckle it to the last episode, here we go.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I watched the first episode and I didn't want to watch any more episodes

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

crankybastard posted:

Cheap

But I'm digging the unexpected gore.

rzal posted:

It is made by the walking dead guy so comedy was never an option.
The style is called we didn't have a very big budget or very much time to animate this.

I'm confused. Are you all talking about the character designs? Because that's straight out of the comic book.

The animation? I've seen worse animation, although if you look for the comic book panels you'll find a lot of "I didn't have a lot of time to draw" ones. Hope they "animate" that famous joke panels.

BUT there's an animation error that made be laugh that happened in the middle of a emotional scene in the last episodes Invincible's tears magically vanishing from one scene to the other and then returning

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm confused. Are you all talking about the character designs? Because that's straight out of the comic book.

The animation? I've seen worse animation, although if you look for the comic book panels you'll find a lot of "I didn't have a lot of time to draw" ones. Hope they "animate" that famous joke panels.

BUT there's an animation error that made be laugh that happened in the middle of a emotional scene in the last episodes Invincible's tears magically vanishing from one scene to the other and then returning

I think the character design is fine, it's the animation itself that is offputting to me. Like the frame rate is lower than it should be or something. I think in animation it's called inbetweening that makes motion look more fluid and this show seems like it's missing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im really enjoying The Mosquito Coast so far and Im pretty shocked to see the bad reviews.

Fun fact, the author of the book is Justin Therouxs uncle and Louis Therouxs dad.

new one or old one?