Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ChronoBasher posted:

As far as I can tell no - its the same crap. They argue that it is less environmentally damaging since you aren't running GPUs/ASICs 24/7, just minimal HDD reads - but I don't think they foresaw the idiots dumping thousands on hardware and turning it into a SSD/CPU race to see who can fill up those terabytes faster. So the whole environment angle falls apart.

They have a dev platform called Chialisp or something - but sounds basically like ETH were people can build apps on top of the Chia block chain woo hoo?

Another case where this seems entirely true:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ChronoBasher posted:

... but I don't think they foresaw the idiots dumping thousands on hardware and turning it into a SSD/CPU race to see who can fill up those terabytes faster. So the whole environment angle falls apart.

There's no way they thought about anything other than "how can we make a new shitcoin that's different enough from other ones to maybe attract people", if they thought about anything at all

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It reminds me of how the super broken poo poo in Magic's really early alpha/beta/unimited days happened. Apparently they let those super broken strong cards out in the wild because they were figuring the extreme rarity would balance it out, with maybe a handful of them per entire neighborhood, and people would spend maybe fifty bucks getting a deck together. They were flabbergasted by people sitting down with decks comprised near entirely of Moxes, Ancestral Recalls, and Lightning Bolts.

I don't know if these hard drive guys saying nobody would game this system was the result of them lying through their teeth or being the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet, but we should still throw them in a volcano and ban all crypto.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

A lot of libertarian ideas require throwing out or disregarding key parts of human nature.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

scopes posted:

A handful of people made a bunch of money during the dot-com boom, a great many more lost a great portion of or their whole asses, and the whole drat time were there trumpeting assholes farting out insults that you were a moron if you didn't get on board.

Here in the bitcoin years we aren't even getting any useful or interesting infrastructure out of the craze, just a completely irrational and disgusting abuse of resources to prop up a speculative bubble, super cool

But scopes, if they burn more power, clearly people will build more green energy capacity! It's not like that's blatant and open accelerationism and killing us all faster!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress... Chia are going for $850 each right now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beef posted:

Both. My take is that it make sense to do it on a small scale at home for space you already have left over, but never to go out and actually buy hardware for it.

Effort post: There are two parts to chia mining, creating the plot and farming it.

Creating a plot involves writing hashes to about 2x the plot size, then sorting those for fast lookup. That creates a ton of read/writes, which eats away at the drive durability. It's a lot faster to do that on an SSD. Consumer SSDs aren't really made for that kind of sustained work. The reported run for enterprise SSDs is likely because of miners wanting to quickly create a lot of plots. Or they expect that there will be demand for plot creation services.

Farming a plot only takes a handful of reads every few minutes to see if you won the lottery, so you can leave it on some unused HDD space. You can just delete plots or move it to cold storage if you need the space.

In both cases it seems dumb to get any hardware specifically for that purpose. The marginal gain for drawing more in the lottery is stupidly small. And as you said, you might not even keep the drive long enough to make it worth it.

It make some sense to make a few plots for that unused NAS space at home, but not enough to buy drives for it. You just treat the farming it as a small lottery.

IF Chia takes off and IF you are running a datacenter that overprovisions storage and IF you have a cheap tape come storage system, then it would maybe make sense to get some extra SSDs for Chia plot creation.

So the eternal question remains. What useful work is being done by keeping this HDD space empty, and what utility is being provided, beyond backing a speculative financial instrument?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Calling it a «small lottery» is just naive. Any «lottery» where there is no limit on the amount of tickets you can get, turns into an arms race. Bitcoin is «just» a lottery too.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe instead of just DBAN-ing old client drives, I should just plot chia with them lol

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

A Real Hologram posted:

Made 5k (pre-tax) on BTC in 3 months risking up to 35k at a time. Swing trading - way too much anxiety — all was done with full knowledge (I’m dumb) that one day the house of cards will fall.
Sold it all at 58.3k Friday night and pulled the cash back to checking.
I dodged a bullet, glad I’m back in dirty fiat. Time to find something boring to invest in. Muni bonds? Beanie babies? Gold?

If you're gonna accept taxes, why not run simple bots to accumulate the 'corn. It's a waste to sit and watch btc swing trades and less effort this way. Paying $10/mo (1 core/2gb VPS) to accumulate 10-20% BTC/mo seems like a simple way to go to me. Granted most of this is inconceivable or not really feasible for most people (and more stress, at that). But if it's an option, it's a better growth option.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm unironically considering moving like 10g into stablecoins on Celsius because wealthfront is 0.1% APY rn to Celsius's 10% but i have no idea how crypto taxes work

like if i put 10g and make 1k/year from it, how is this all taxed if at any point I decide to withdraw it? I heard that crypto appreciation is taxed as capital gains but USD coin is always $1? this is the first time in my life i can comfortably say I have money to play around with and now between learning what 401k's are and stuff I'm all like :confused:

i'm also mining ethereum on my 3090 by idling it at like 68% power and making like $300/month. my electricity bill also dropped 40% because I stopped playing games. i guess gamers are an environmental hazard

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You insert money into your CD-ROM and tax collectors handle the rest.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Paladinus posted:

You insert money into your CD-ROM and tax collectors handle the rest.

true

ironically i did consulting and built a low eight figure crypto business for some people (hint: it's because I made them into a business, not a crypto startup) and they reached out recently and asked if I could write a technical whitepaper. i told them it's my job to make them money not make others give them money because i'd probably go insane having to learn and give a wholly flying gently caress about blockchain tech

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChronoBasher posted:

As far as I can tell no - its the same crap. They argue that it is less environmentally damaging since you aren't running GPUs/ASICs 24/7, just minimal HDD reads - but I don't think they foresaw the idiots dumping thousands on hardware and turning it into a SSD/CPU race to see who can fill up those terabytes faster. So the whole environment angle falls apart.

They have a dev platform called Chialisp or something - but sounds basically like ETH were people can build apps on top of the Chia block chain woo hoo?
What would make sense is if hard drive manufacturers decided to do this so that they, too, can get increased demand/prices on their product. I'd say "the street finds its own use for things" but this is not the street

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stealthgerbil posted:

Maybe instead of just DBAN-ing old client drives, I should just plot chia with them lol

You shouldn't DBAN anything, you should ATA secure erase them if you want to catch reserved sectors as well. And for SSD especially, ATA secure erase is the only method that makes sense (and takes just a few seconds).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Or just physically destroy the drives.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Knot My President! posted:

i'm also mining ethereum on my 3090 by idling it at like 68% power and making like $300/month. my electricity bill also dropped 40% because I stopped playing games. i guess gamers are an environmental hazard
That math doesn't work...? 68% of 24/7 is equivalent to 16.32/7. Assuming the GPU is using a small amount of power when at 0% load, that means you were gaming enough to fully load a 3090 for 16 hours every day. I don't think that even checks out if your CPU and PSU are from 2011.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 4, 2021

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Shumagorath posted:

That math doesn't work...? 68% of 24/7 is equivalent to 16.32/7. Assuming the GPU is using a small amount of power when at 0% load, that means you were gaming enough to fully load a 3090 for 16 hours every day. I don't think that even checks out if your CPU and PSU are from 2011.

It's a coiner, you can just assume their math doesn't add up as a given.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From a friend of mine:

quote:

Saying "check out my NFT!" is the fastest way for an artist to flag themselves for pvp

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm trying to imagine wtf is going on in that house if gaming is 40% of the electric bill

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Now this is a blockchain I can get behind.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Rufio posted:

I'm trying to imagine wtf is going on in that house if gaming is 40% of the electric bill

They are playing tag with rail guns

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hey guys, will you please spread word about the new crypto I have created. I'm calling it geddoncoin. It's based on people buying up bags of coal and elephant ivory.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Rufio posted:

Kettle Royale

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't they be using server grade hardware with ECC RAM so they know their plots actually have valid data on them?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Shrug, I left Horizon Zero Dawn idling. Last month I was $180 and this month $110. Nothing else changed in my habits :shrug:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.globaltrends.us/2021/05/at-age-of-27-creator-of-ethereum-became.html

This guy is quite odd

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ChronoBasher posted:

This is almost certainly true and also illustrative of the fact that every bit of this crypto"currency" poo poo is being churned out by people who don't have a loving clue about the history of money or finance or economics, or anything at all other than smelling a get-rich-quick opportunity

I'm unironically considering moving like 10g into stablecoins on Celsius because wealthfront is 0.1% APY rn to Celsius's 10% but i have no idea how crypto taxes work

like if i put 10g and make 1k/year from it, how is this all taxed if at any point I decide to withdraw it? I heard that crypto appreciation is taxed as capital gains but USD coin is always $1? this is the first time in my life i can comfortably say I have money to play around with and now between learning what 401k's are and stuff I'm all like :confused:

If you don't see any issues with loaning your assets to uninsured, unlicensed, unregulated pseudo-banks that are promising to pay you unusually high interest rates, I'm not sure your knowledge of taxes is most immediate problem. If this is the first time in your life that you have money to play around with, you should be warned that you are very much playing with that money if you give it out as high-rate loans to unproven and questionably-regulated not-banks. Lend large amounts of money outside of the conventional banking system at your peril.

For what it's worth and assuming you're American, interest received on loans is typically ordinary income that you'd have to include on your tax return as you earn it, and a real bank would give you a 1099-INT at the end of the year that tells you how much in interest you need to add to your tax return for that year. (A quick googling suggests that "Celsius Network" plans to give you a 1099-MISC instead of an -INT, which makes me wonder if they've got some funny legalese somewhere to describe the "loans" you make to them and the "interest" they pay on you as something other than that.) Only interest earned is taxable, the return of principal back to you is not taxable. (If they go under before you get your principal back, the amount of that you could take as a loss against your taxable income is dependent on whether or not "Celsius Network" qualifies as a "bank, credit union, or other financial institution", and lol at digging into that question.)

The other tax concern is how you're handling your mining income, as the tax treatment for that is different from buying/selling. If you mine crypto, you're supposed to show the value of that crypto as of the day you mined it as ordinary taxable income. If you later sell that crypto, then the difference between that initial value at time of mining and the value at the time of sale is a capital gain or loss.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

:smuggo:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Double dare him to cash out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

Now this is a blockchain I can get behind.

A buttchain if you like.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Going well for chia.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

catspleen posted:

Going well for chia.

$686 too high

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is almost certainly true and also illustrative of the fact that every bit of this crypto"currency" poo poo is being churned out by people who don't have a loving clue about the history of money or finance or economics, or anything at all other than smelling a get-rich-quick opportunity

If you don't see any issues with loaning your assets to uninsured, unlicensed, unregulated pseudo-banks that are promising to pay you unusually high interest rates, I'm not sure your knowledge of taxes is most immediate problem. If this is the first time in your life that you have money to play around with, you should be warned that you are very much playing with that money if you give it out as high-rate loans to unproven and questionably-regulated not-banks. Lend large amounts of money outside of the conventional banking system at your peril.

For what it's worth and assuming you're American, interest received on loans is typically ordinary income that you'd have to include on your tax return as you earn it, and a real bank would give you a 1099-INT at the end of the year that tells you how much in interest you need to add to your tax return for that year. (A quick googling suggests that "Celsius Network" plans to give you a 1099-MISC instead of an -INT, which makes me wonder if they've got some funny legalese somewhere to describe the "loans" you make to them and the "interest" they pay on you as something other than that.) Only interest earned is taxable, the return of principal back to you is not taxable. (If they go under before you get your principal back, the amount of that you could take as a loss against your taxable income is dependent on whether or not "Celsius Network" qualifies as a "bank, credit union, or other financial institution", and lol at digging into that question.)

The other tax concern is how you're handling your mining income, as the tax treatment for that is different from buying/selling. If you mine crypto, you're supposed to show the value of that crypto as of the day you mined it as ordinary taxable income. If you later sell that crypto, then the difference between that initial value at time of mining and the value at the time of sale is a capital gain or loss.

I see plenty of issues with it. I have a degree in economics. But if the last ten years have taught me anything it's that nothing regarding crypto makes sense by traditional economic standards. It's not a currency, it's not an asset, it's not backed by anything, blockchain is a dumb concept, etc.-- but at the end of the day, it keeps going up. Crypto's value is solely the demand people have for crypto. It's pokemon cards you can trade for heroin. It can crash any day now. However, after my 401ks and IRAs and all expenses and my savings and checking buffer and whatnot I have money I'm willing to play around with. The wager is whether that 10 grand will reduce to 0 in the next year and I'm comfortable taking that risk. If I weren't, I'd keep it in an insured account with a 0.1-0.2% APY growth rate with the rest of my money.

Thanks for the info on the taxes and whatnot-- I'll wrap my head around it and see if it's still worth it versus just padding another account

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

I see plenty of issues with it. I have a degree in economics. But if the last ten years have taught me anything it's that nothing regarding crypto makes sense by traditional economic standards. It's not a currency, it's not an asset, it's not backed by anything, blockchain is a dumb concept, etc.-- but at the end of the day, it keeps going up. Crypto's value is solely the demand people have for crypto. It's pokemon cards you can trade for heroin. It can crash any day now. However, after my 401ks and IRAs and all expenses and my savings and checking buffer and whatnot I have money I'm willing to play around with. The wager is whether that 10 grand will reduce to 0 in the next year and I'm comfortable taking that risk. If I weren't, I'd keep it in an insured account with a 0.1-0.2% APY growth rate with the rest of my money.

Thanks for the info on the taxes and whatnot-- I'll wrap my head around it and see if it's still worth it versus just padding another account

You have a degree in economics but don't know how taxes work and are too dumb to parse your electric bill properly? Because you're claiming that a 32% undervolt on a single electrical component in your home somehow reduced your electric bill by 39%.

Also, the wager you're making isn't "crypto won't go to 0 in the next year", it's "this particular dodgy looking crypto company with absurd purported returns won't just take my money and vanish into the night". Guess which of these is significantly more likely to happen?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Crypto poo poo is stuffed full of scandals of "crypto bankers" cashing out their buttcoins and stealing money from stupid people. I recall a high profile incident where a Middle Earth themed crypto vault was looted and some fucker with the username "Treebeard" had to apologize and explain to buttcoiners how "Gandalf" had pulled the wool over his eyes, cashed out the buttcoins, and ran away with the investors' money. And because its all unregulated there was no way to punish him for it or even track him down.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Are banks actually willing to issue loans using crypto as collateral? I don't see any way that could go badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
and how do you pay back that loan? with money from the money tree?