Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Everyone grab steep when it comes out. It's the best skiing video game ever created, a literal skifree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah and once you get the jet pack it owns harder.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
DQB2 is out now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

DQB2 is out now.

Its good. The final chapter is so completely awesome. Power through the low energy middle bits

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some XBox exclusivity documents got revealed recently and one thing in there is that STALKER 2 will only be an Xbox console exclusive for 3 months.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
The idea of "Offset reduction in revenue due to crossplay" is insane considering how many people won't buy games if its not there to allow playing with friends on other machines, I can't tell if Sony's gaming department is out of touch, or know exactly what they are doing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theyre ruthless pricks about everything cause they know that the press coverage of their releases has 1000x the reach that news about them being lovely does

Like they had a brutal month in the news. Returnal comes out and its covered in way more stories than what some ex employee said on david jaffes podcast or whatever was the scandal last week.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 4, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah that's why they backtracked on the PS3/Vita store closing after 100 different news outlets blasted them for it. :rolleyes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they were especially assholish there i agree with you

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what about microsoft in 2017

this implies microsoft ever gave a poo poo about the xbox one

Pirate Jet posted:

Kinect launched very strong and Sony was competing with the Move, so it became clear the strategy for both was to try and prolong the generation with each of their respective peripherals. Probably a big reason why the PS4/Bone generation got started like it did is because the Move failed and Sony had to realize that strategy wasn’t gonna work, whereas Microsoft didn’t even have reason to draw that conclusion.

That plus the big success they saw with putting media apps on consoles with the 360 made the Bone’s strategy logical, in a way. I do kinda miss the HDMI in port.

it started strong but it also fell off a cliff once people actually had the thing in their homes and realized that it didn't work for fuckin poo poo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Its good. The final chapter is so completely awesome. Power through the low energy middle bits

How much time should a guy devote to it before it gets good?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The thing that's real surprising to me is how FPS boost just works. I quick resumed my yakuza 6 game and it was just 60 fps. I was expecting quick resume to not work and to at least restart the game. It looks so much better now btw.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah the whole thing is that it's an OS level solution that doesn't require any patching or update to the software. As far as the game knows it's still running at 30fps. It is kinda interesting how it knows which games support it, but I'm guessing that's just a server side flag instead of being included in an OS update.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

How much time should a guy devote to it before it gets good?

The whole game rules but it has a part people dont like in the middle but its not a big deal

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Obviously this is a hot button issue but I'm getting in on the ground floor for Halo Infinite being awesome.

If people have missed them, the Inside Infinite blogs are full of encouraging tidbits https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-april-2021.

There's a general theme of breaking Halo back down to basics and nailing them, and multiple direct mentions of learning from things people disliked about 4 and 5.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Game-Blouses posted:

I just moved into a new house. Went to turn the ol Xbox One on, and nothing. If I only plug the power supply into the wall I get an orange light on the power supply. The internet tells me that’s not great! When I try to connect it to the Xbox itself, the power supply light goes out. Is my power supply bad, or is my Xbox finally borked? It’s 7 years old, so it’s not the end of the world.

Just a quick update in the event that this happens to anyone else... I took the xbone to Game Stop (stonks!) to see if we could pinpoint the issue. They had a new power cord to try in the store and that solved the issue!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Sony registered a trademark for Sunset Overdrive. Gonna use this as an opportunity to say that I frequently feel like the only person who didn't enjoy that game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barnold posted:

Sony registered a trademark for Sunset Overdrive. Gonna use this as an opportunity to say that I frequently feel like the only person who didn't enjoy that game

You really aren't alone. Its a complete mess of a game that I feel confident Insomniac will be able to turn around for a sequel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

barnold posted:

Nah i hated it too

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It was fun for about 2 hours.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are parts of it I found very fun, especially towards the end of the game. Getting there was not fun, the opening is not good, and even in the "fun parts" the controls and gameplay occasionally collide in unfun ways.

The multiplayer sucked.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sunset Overdrive has been a great fit for Game Pass, because you can play it for a bit and then just move on to a different game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barnold posted:

Gonna use this as an opportunity to say that I frequently feel like the only person who didn't enjoy that game

I mean literally nobody talks about it so I'd say you are in the majority

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah lol, where are you hanging out where you feel like everyone is constantly singing the praises of Sunset Overdrive?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

American McGay posted:

Yeah lol, where are you hanging out where you feel like everyone is constantly singing the praises of Sunset Overdrive?

It's me, the guy who liked Sunset Overdrive. Apparently enough to get half the achievements for it.

I went back to it recently and yeah the controls are super unintuitive and awkward, and the writing is very of it's time. I still dig the general aesthetic of the game and I remembering being bummed a sequel never came out because I felt like they could have worked out some of the kinks with a second shot at it.

For a launch game it's not god awful, but time has not been kind to it for sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its got too much 'tude for a lame guy like me.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

American McGay posted:

like the entire internet what the gently caress are you talking about lol every time it gets brought up, it gets put on endless lists of "games that were really really good that just didn't catch on and we have no idea why!"

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/sunset-overdrive-is-the-most-underrated-game-of-the-generation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/l4hnk8/sunset_overdrive_is_one_of_the_best_games_to_come/

https://kotaku.com/sunset-overdrive-was-good-1845710607

it's fine if you don't care about or pay attention to what people say about bideo jame outside of SA but saying nobody ever talks about sunset overdrive is some extreme :goonsay: lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahh yes reddit and kotaku. There's your problem.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

oh boy here comes the reddit hot take like it isn't one of the world's most ubiquitous ways for average people to post online

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunset Overdrive is a game you'd traditionally get in any console cycle where it was interesting but not good and everyone then retroactively hypes it up as it becomes more difficult to acquire and thus confirm its actual quality... but its on Game Pass and back compatible and its addition to the service was a resounding "meh" from everyone.

Also it came out a year after launch. Xbox wishes it had that at launch because Lococycle was offensively bad and Crimson Dragon is the monkey paw wish version of Panzer Dragoon*

*My Xbox dashboard is art from this game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, that's kinda the point. You found a single reddit post saying the game was good. There's not indicative of anything. The game is a solid 7.8 userscore game. You're focusing on outliers.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I loved Sunset Overdrive, I even have the SO bundle big fat white edition Xbox. I played a bit of the multiplayer but it wasn’t as much fun as the singleplayer.

If sunset overdrive 2 does come to fruition I will probably buy the PS5 once they redesign the console so it’s not as hideous.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Lococycle was offensively bad

just reading the name makes me extremely angry. it could have barely passed as an OG Xbox launch title

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

barnold posted:

just reading the name makes me extremely angry. it could have barely passed as an OG Xbox launch title

Jesus christ that name takes me back to when I was working at an MS store during the lead up/launch of the One.

I remember being kinda hyped for the new console, and then we got our working display models (they had sent us a hollow dummy console to display for a month or two leading up to launch lol) set up we had a bunch of rules about what was supposed to be on said display models.

Lococycle was one of the games we had for demo, and I think Crimson Dragon was too. Both were extremely underwhelming visually and I never bothered to even try them.

I picked up my One probably a year after launch or so either around or just after the release of Sunset Overdrive so that's probably why I thought it was a launch title.

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I still have the promo shirt and energy drink that were given away when Sunset Overdrive was released. The energy drink is unopened (and thankfully hasn't exploded or leaked) but I remember we did crack one open to try and it was awful.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Sunset overdrive was great. Also I just learned they have the Lusty Argonian Maid mod for the Xbox.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crimson Dragon is 60% of the way to being a good game which is coincidentally what I'd score it at. There are so many underdeveloped ideas and just flat out missing levels that you can feel where the ambition was and where the budget and time ran out. Not that I think it was ever going to be an amazing game, a lot of the ideas aren't "good" and a better version of them would still be something you'd instantly drop in a sequel.

That said while it has so many issues but the most petty for me is Microsoft tried to create a new game main menu screen design language that the launch games all followed and it was absolute dogshit and Crimson Dragon has it bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Crimson Dragon is 60% of the way to being a good game which is coincidentally what I'd score it at. There are so many underdeveloped ideas and just flat out missing levels that you can feel where the ambition was and where the budget and time ran out. Not that I think it was ever going to be an amazing game, a lot of the ideas aren't "good" and a better version of them would still be something you'd instantly drop in a sequel.

That said while it has so many issues but the most petty for me is Microsoft tried to create a new game main menu screen design language that the launch games all followed and it was absolute dogshit and Crimson Dragon has it bad.

Could the main menu screen design be all that bad? I mean I survived Japanese games from ps1-ps2 with their ugly rear end menus and their goofy obnoxious sounds (by god I'm playing nier replicant right now and it has the same goofy rear end menu tones as resident evil, pretty sure).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

Could the main menu screen design be all that bad? I mean I survived Japanese games from ps1-ps2 with their ugly rear end menus and their goofy obnoxious sounds (by god I'm playing nier replicant right now and it has the same goofy rear end menu tones as resident evil, pretty sure).

The menu language was that that the main menu functioned as a guide filled with standardized features many games would never use such as news updates or sending you straight to its page in the microsoft store. It results in really ugly menus and confusion as to where stuff in the game is buried and it is visually ugly as hell since it was active at all times on the menu and them bled into the in-game menu design.

It was really rapidly dropped so it mainly just affects Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, and a handful of other titles. Its not just ugly and full of useless standardized features, it makes it actively harder to find and parse things.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed not on BC? I wanted to jam out to some tunes this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

The menu language was that that the main menu functioned as a guide filled with standardized features many games would never use such as news updates or sending you straight to its page in the microsoft store. It results in really ugly menus and confusion as to where stuff in the game is buried and it is visually ugly as hell since it was active at all times on the menu and them bled into the in-game menu design.

It was really rapidly dropped so it mainly just affects Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, and a handful of other titles. Its not just ugly and full of useless standardized features, it makes it actively harder to find and parse things.

Oh that sounds bad. One of the worst and most telling things about bad ui from the 360/PS3 era are all the games with vestigial elements that no longer function because so many games had "features" tied to servers which no longer exist.