Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the proper course of action when your trailer gets the wobbles? I assume slow down but it would be good to know if it's a counterintuitive "speed the gently caress up" or something.

Have your Large Wife and Child sit up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What's the proper course of action when your trailer gets the wobbles? I assume slow down but it would be good to know if it's a counterintuitive "speed the gently caress up" or something.

I've heard that you're supposed to let go of the gas, gradually slowing down, and don't try to correct your path until your back in control.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Must have been some lie.

Lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I watch a Danish YouTube amateur mechanic and through him I learned that Danish regulations for cars are insane by American standards. He wanted to put a turbo on a car but is only allowed to do according to a very, very specific table of what make and model of car is allowed to use what specific model of turbocharger. If it's not on the list your car isn't allowed on the road. It's quite strange to American ears where you can put whatever on whatever and so long as a certified mechanic decides it looks ok you're good. Some states, like California, barely bother with mechanical inspections and focus on emissions instead.
Not only that, but having the air-intake of the engine stick out of the hood of the car is just completely illegal. :denmark:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The Basecamp implosion is pretty schaden-y

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1389369715638767619

Does this count as politics?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Not only that, but having the air-intake of the engine stick out of the hood of the car is just completely illegal. :denmark:

And then you have Danish heroes like this guy who risk it to have something dumb as poo poo for a few months... It eventually became a twin turbo (stuck out in front of the windscreen) before he got rid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ks6Ujenf6U

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

nexus6 posted:

Definitely read the bit where the head says that calling out white supremacy is an act of racism.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That actually seems like a good safety measure, because that's where pedestrians and cyclists tend to end up when you hit them. :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

That reminds me of the time I was getting blood taken and the tech couldn’t find the vein so she just twisted the needle around while it was still in my arm.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

nexus6 posted:

I read this entire article and I still have no idea what the gently caress Basecamp is

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

ekuNNN posted:

That actually seems like a good safety measure, because that's where pedestrians and cyclists tend to end up when you hit them. :shrug:

That doesn't count as the second shot I'm afraid.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I read this entire article and I still have no idea what the gently caress Basecamp is

Good news, it no longer matters.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

project management and collaboration software

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I watch a Danish YouTube amateur mechanic and through him I learned that Danish regulations for cars are insane by American standards. He wanted to put a turbo on a car but is only allowed to do according to a very, very specific table of what make and model of car is allowed to use what specific model of turbocharger. If it's not on the list your car isn't allowed on the road. It's quite strange to American ears where you can put whatever on whatever and so long as a certified mechanic decides it looks ok you're good. Some states, like California, barely bother with mechanical inspections and focus on emissions instead.

Comparatively, I think most Danes would consider your lack of regulations to be completely insane. :v:

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao holy poo poo those co-founders are idiots.
Angry employee: just say you don’t support white supremacy and everything will be good

Idiot founder: well uh I mean uh I don’t want to take sides

Even though the founders and senior executives are ignorant shitheels, at least one employee is pretty drat wise and called them out really well:

“Racism [and] white supremacy are not things that are so convenient that they only happen when full intention is present, or true malice is present,” the employee said. “Evil is not required. We’re not so lucky as for this to come down to good and evil. It’s as simple as creating a space where people do not feel welcome.”

The employee continued: “The silence in the background is what racism and white supremacy does. It creates that atmosphere that feels suffocating to people. It doesn't require active malice. It's not that convenient.”

Vakal
May 11, 2008

When I got my vaccine one of the nurses doing the shots accidently jabbed herself in the finger with a used needle while trying to put the cap on it.

That lead to some fun stuff where basically a hazmat team rolled in and the person that got the shot first got dragged away to have a majority of their blood removed to be sent for testing.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Are the auto-retracting syringes just not as ubiquitous as I thought? I cant think of a procedure in the last year or two that didnt use one of those - they seem super convenient.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

best bale posted:

Lmao holy poo poo those co-founders are idiots.

Whitesplaining at the black employee is truly platinum-tier stuff.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

BlancoNino posted:

You are absolutely supposed to power through it, very counter intuitive

This is the advice for idiots. Technically you could, but you cant react fast enough, and your vehicle won't appreciably accelerate enough in the 4 seconds before it flops the gently caress out.
If you have a heavy trailer, it should have a squidgy rubber thing on the tow bar that covers the brake mechanism. When the car brakes, the trailer pushes against it, squeezing the mechanism (and shortening the spring - hence the rubber thingy), which then smoothly engages the brakes on the trailer. That might save you, but not as much as making sure it is always nose heavy to start with, and don't overtake lorries as they make a significant bow wave of air that WILL start your trailer swaying.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
This is great information to have, I've only ever pulled smaller boats or trailers of wood/brush so I haven't had to put it to the test like with these massive trailers.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had this trailer sway happen to me before. I had rented a mini bobcat to redo my lawn. The rental place provided the trailer and loaded it up for me to tow with my mid-90's S-10 Blazer (lol). After they had loaded the bobcat, they absent-mindedly threw the big front shovel/scoop (couple hundred pounds?) on the back of the trailer without a second thought.

As soon as I went faster than about 45-47 mph, it started swaying wildly just like pictured in those videos/gifs upthread. This happened a few times, and the only action that got it to stop was just to let off the gas and be firm on the steering wheel. That was my experience. It was scary AF.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

DarkDobe posted:

Are the auto-retracting syringes just not as ubiquitous as I thought? I cant think of a procedure in the last year or two that didnt use one of those - they seem super convenient.

I've never seen nor used one.

For injections I've usually used needles with manual safety flaps and when mixing antibiotics, just plain needles.

I assume those are marginally more expensive than non-retracting ones. Those would cost €Brussels when used in mass quantities.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ideally you have a trailer brake controller, in which case you squeeze the handle on that and apply as much trailer brake as you can without locking up the wheels. Do not touch the brakes in the tow vehicle, keep the forces behind the hitch.

If you do not have a brake controller, in theory it works the other way around too where pulling hard enough from the front can stabilize it in the same way. It's debatable how effective this would actually be in reality though, you'd need a good amount of power and traction to spare that probably means it's only useful if a small trailer gets loose behind a large tow vehicle, like on a bumpy road or after an emergency maneuver. I don't think it'd be very effective for the people in these clips who have too much trailer and/or improper load balancing. They're basically on a ride directed by Newton.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sorta like when you get headshake on a motorcycle. Sure, you MIGHT be able to regain control by cracking the throttle wide open, but, realistically, you'll be too busy alternating between making GBS threads your pants and praying to whatever god(s) spring to mind to react fast enough

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

XIII posted:

Sorta like when you get headshake on a motorcycle. Sure, you MIGHT be able to regain control by cracking the throttle wide open, but, realistically, you'll be too busy alternating between making GBS threads your pants and praying to whatever god(s) spring to mind to react fast enough

Just pull a wheelie. Can't have headshake if the front wheel is in the air :thunk:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Scratch Monkey posted:

The actual laws on the books in some states basically make most vehicle modifications illegal but Americans do them anyway because the laws aren’t always enforceable in a way to take away a vehicle’s registration. It does not help the states’ enforcement when the emissions component is up to the countys on what they want to do.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

nollij posted:

The actual laws on the books in some states basically make most vehicle modifications illegal but Americans do them anyway because the laws aren’t always enforceable in a way to take away a vehicle’s registration. It does not help the states’ enforcement when the emissions component is up to the countys on what they want to do.

It's pretty much impossible to legally modify your engine in any meaningful way in CA. All parts have to be CARB approved and most aftermarket manufacturers don't bother.

Most of it is all BS anyways, as long as your emissions meet the standards it shouldn't matter... its all a money grab.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/1389679989113622535

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Listening to my kids, it sounds like Apex's new season is doing very well.

https://www.pcgamer.com/apex-legends-servers-are-down-because-so-many-people-want-to-play-season-9/

According to my son, EA has "poopoo servers"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vakal posted:

When I got my vaccine one of the nurses doing the shots accidently jabbed herself in the finger with a used needle while trying to put the cap on it.
Nonononononono. This is why sharps containers exist. There's an OSHA regulation saying you may not recap needles. Shame on whoever did the setup.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
btw, if you are driving and your brakes stop working you should just speed up. Don't worry, it's gonna be alright.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Kennel posted:

btw, if you are driving and your brakes stop working you should just speed up. Don't worry, it's gonna be alright.

Speed up and go for an integer overflow, once you get to 255 MPH it rolls back to 0 MPH and you stop

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Evilreaver posted:

Speed up and go for an integer overflow, once you get to 255 MPH it rolls back to 0 MPH and you stop

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is real, that's why you drive in reverse.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qslin5utdC1r0uzl6.mp4

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evilreaver posted:

We would do this in the Humvees we drove on the autobahn. The speedometer ended at like 60mph or something like that and we would get it going fast enough it would loop back around to 5 mph. Of course the vehicle was never meant to do that and shook so bad you would swear it was going to break apart. Its a wonder our company mechanics didn't hate us and we didn't die in a car accident.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

limp_cheese posted:

We would do this in the Humvees we drove on the autobahn. The speedometer ended at like 60mph or something like that and we would get it going fast enough it would loop back around to 5 mph. Of course the vehicle was never meant to do that and shook so bad you would swear it was going to break apart. Its a wonder our company mechanics didn't hate us and we didn't die in a car accident.

Fwiw your company mechanics probably did hate you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm in this picture and I'm just fine with it, actually.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading that the seats in the humvees were designed to be uncomfortable when driven at high speed in order to discourage that. So you could still go fast if you needed to, but would choose to drive at a reasonable speed if you didn’t have to.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

OzyMandrill posted:

This is the advice for idiots. Technically you could, but you cant react fast enough, and your vehicle won't appreciably accelerate enough in the 4 seconds before it flops the gently caress out.
If you have a heavy trailer, it should have a squidgy rubber thing on the tow bar that covers the brake mechanism. When the car brakes, the trailer pushes against it, squeezing the mechanism (and shortening the spring - hence the rubber thingy), which then smoothly engages the brakes on the trailer. That might save you, but not as much as making sure it is always nose heavy to start with, and don't overtake lorries as they make a significant bow wave of air that WILL start your trailer swaying.

Uh, you could do this but doesn't "floor it" seem like a much easier solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grem posted:

Uh, you could do this but doesn't "floor it" seem like a much easier solution?

Yeah but what are you driving that has enough power that flooring it at highway speeds is going to have enough effect on your speed when you're already towing a trailer?