Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

euphronius posted:

there is no free will. it has all been priced in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
From prices rising to traffic increasing, your daily life will continue to get more unlivable and miserable. This is what is known as "recovery"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

JAY

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Number is having a brief moment of clarity. Soon it will forget and be green again. Number is old.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr Hootington posted:

Supposedly a .50 rate hike in 2023 is priced in. Lmao

lol

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

...blood?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

raise interest rates to 20%, i want a savings account!!!

...woah, what? banks don't exist anymore? well, i guess it's a wash

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.kff.org/private-insurance/issue-brief/health-insurer-financial-performance-in-2020/

quote:

Health Insurer Financial Performance in 2020

As the coronavirus pandemic took shape in the U.S. in the early months of 2020, there was some uncertainty about how it would impact the financial performance of health insurers. Hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers cancelled elective procedures to free up beds, staff and supplies early in the pandemic and to limit unnecessary exposure and risk of infection. Patients also opted to forgo non-urgent care to limit risks and exposure to the virus. These dynamics led to an unprecedented decrease in health care spending and utilization during the Spring of 2020. Though spending rebounded through the second half of the year, health spending was somewhat lower in 2020 than it had been in 2019, making last year the first time in recorded history that health spending has dropped in the U.S. Simultaneously, the economic crisis and resulting job losses drove shifts in health coverage across multiple markets, including seemingly modest decreases in employer-based coverage through September but substantial enrollment increases in Medicaid managed care and Medicaid broadly. During this period, enrollment in Medicare Advantage plans offered by private insurers continued to tick upward.

We find that, by the end of 2020, gross margins per member per month across these four markets remained relatively high and medical loss ratios were relatively low or flat compared to recent years. These findings suggest that many insurers remained profitable through 2020. According to a recent KFF analysis, commercial insurers are going to owe substantial rebates to consumers this year under the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Medical Loss Ratio provision.
For Medicaid, application of risk sharing arrangements that many states have in place may ultimately reduce overall margins calculated using the annual NAIC data.

Through the end of 2020, gross margins among individual market and fully-insured group market plans were 4% and 16% higher, respectively, than they were in 2019. However, gross margins among fully-insured group market plans remained relatively flat in 2020 when compared to 2018, and gross margins among individual market plans decreased by 14% in 2020 when compared to 2018, a year in which individual market insurers over-corrected when setting premiums following the loss of cost-sharing subsidy payments. Annual gross margins among Medicare Advantage plans were 24% higher in 2020 compared to 2019 and 31% higher when compared to 2018. (Gross margins per member per month for Medicare Advantage plans tend to be higher than for other health insurance markets mainly because Medicare covers an older, sicker population with higher average costs).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just a tiny fun monday. We will have ATH Wednesday, Thursday, and friday.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

turd in my singlet posted:

Taking that as an assumption paints a somewhat different picture: capitalism itself isn't the higher order intelligence, it's the ecosystem that corporate intelligences exist within. Corporations share similar modes of existence (extracting surplus value from labor, reinvesting that value into capital and "innovation", hoarding excess value) and coordinate in a social manner to reproduce the environment they exist in (via the state and financial institutions), but they also compete with each other and will happily stab each other in the back for slices of market share.

We should probably have a cybernetics thread lol

i would definitely high-post in a cybernetics thread

also, I think it's helpful to let go of the idea of there being one level of "real intelligences", where everything else is "systems". That's kinda positivist... it gets you into arguments about who the "real" intelligences are.

instead, approach things dialectically. Just describe each level of the system in terms of its relations to other levels.

ant colonies are systems of ants, but can be considered alive themselves. similarly, corporations are systems of humans, but can be considered alive themselves.

humans are systems of cells, ecosystems are systems of biological life forms, capitalist economies are systems of corporations. and so on.

Marxism is basically a set of battle-tested techniques for giving humans more steering power over your system. This lets them let out pressure and do more long-term planning than is possible in capitalist frameworks, like bourgeois democracy.

It works, too. Look at China rn. Barely any covid deaths, executing billionaires when they step out of line, belt and road. Turns out that when you get Marxists like Xi Jinping in charge, you can get stuff done.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

in the rare instances i watch broadcast television, i've seen several medicare advantage commercials from a couple of insurers lately

i had never even heard of it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Xi Jinping's Marxism leaves much to be desired

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

A .25% rause would collapse everything. The entire system is completely hosed.

its doubly hilarious because a .25 hike wouldnt affect balance sheets at all. sure there would be more expensive debt but all these places are hedged out to their ears so they are already paying against rate changes

but since rate hike = sell to traders the market will collapse lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmfao

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I guess cybernetics chat moved in here since r-slur-chat has taken over the theory thread again

Re: demiurge hyperintelligence poo poo: on the same level of "totally unprovable" but an interesting alternate perspective on this is idea that consciousness is the result of the kind of information and control flows that allow for purposeful action in response to the environment. Looked at in that way, a corporate PR department gathering information, reporting the analysis to the executives, who then tell R&D what kind of product to develop, is conscious in the same way that an animal changing it's behavior to find food in a changing environment is, though the scale and specific mechanics of that consciousness are quite different. I haven't gotten into Stafford Beer's stuff enough to have come across this myself but I've heard this idea attributed to him.

Taking that as an assumption paints a somewhat different picture: capitalism itself isn't the higher order intelligence, it's the ecosystem that corporate intelligences exist within. Corporations share similar modes of existence (extracting surplus value from labor, reinvesting that value into capital and "innovation", hoarding excess value) and coordinate in a social manner to reproduce the environment they exist in (via the state and financial institutions), but they also compete with each other and will happily stab each other in the back for slices of market share.

The fact that capitalism itself isn't intelligent is visible in its inability to meaningfully respond to climate change, pandemics, and repeated economic crises. For example the Western pandemic response is just the flailing of corporate entities forcing states to "open r up" as much as possible and just eating the damage from losses in the labor force because they fear the damage to their way of life from a lockdown and "handouts" will be worse.

Hell yeah.

Also there's a theory thread? Is it the communism thread?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lol prevent the market from overheating lumber is 4x what it was last year and houses are going up double digit percentages a month

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if you pretend problems aren't currently happening you can say all of your actions are proactive

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Kesper North posted:

Xi Jinping's Marxism leaves much to be desired

you heard it from sr. forums analyst kesper north, folx

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Gods_Butthole posted:

Just one small thing to add wrt the "time traveling" part. From what I understand, Land has some less than orthodox views on causality. It's less "time traveling" in the traditional sense and more of a cybernetic feedback mechanism with a sign flip. Or maybe it's like a reverse feed forward. I picture it as a cybernetic network that is decoupled from our limited perception of time moving in a single direction, and operates in a space os simultaneous temporality. In this case, it's a dialectical operation between the future and the past. So yeah, basically time travel lol. But it's important to note that in that framework, it wouldn't be a phenomenon limited to just techno-capital. It's also a materialist way of opening up a sort of fluid teleology.

this is good thank you

I guess cybernetics chat moved in here since r-slur-chat has taken over the theory thread again

yes please

*me as i browse redfin and try to compare a raised rate vs a lower price or at least not having to pay in cash and waiving all contingencies* is that.....is that good

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Centrist Committee posted:

you heard it from sr. forums analyst kesper north, folx

just throwin' them uyghurs under the bus huh

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Zodium posted:

anyway, im really relieved that other ppl who dont identify as "hyper-racists" or "neoreactionaries" are thinking about this stuff.

same, brothers

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
everyone pls stop buying houses lumber gpus and corn!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kesper North posted:

just throwin' them uyghurs under the bus huh

I thank them for my kidneys everyday. 🤗

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
love to repeat bullshit western propaganda in the leftist forum

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What's that gotta do with Maoism vs Dengism anyway

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Please remember that this is the number thread, and it must go up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lostconfused posted:

Please remember that this is the number thread, and it must go up.

interest rates are a number

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

animist posted:

i would definitely high-post in a cybernetics thread

also, I think it's helpful to let go of the idea of there being one level of "real intelligences", where everything else is "systems". That's kinda positivist... it gets you into arguments about who the "real" intelligences are.

instead, approach things dialectically. Just describe each level of the system in terms of its relations to other levels.

ant colonies are systems of ants, but can be considered alive themselves. similarly, corporations are systems of humans, but can be considered alive themselves.

humans are systems of cells, ecosystems are systems of biological life forms, capitalist economies are systems of corporations. and so on.

Marxism is basically a set of battle-tested techniques for giving humans more steering power over your system. This lets them let out pressure and do more long-term planning than is possible in capitalist frameworks, like bourgeois democracy.

It works, too. Look at China rn. Barely any covid deaths, executing billionaires when they step out of line, belt and road. Turns out that when you get Marxists like Xi Jinping in charge, you can get stuff done.

agree with this broadly, but the a system that can respond to the environment and remain a coherent entity does seem meaningfully different than just a complex system. it's not an either-or thing though: the whole idea of Beer's 'VSM diagnosis' was to identify areas within an organization that interfered with the capacity for intelligent behavior; and observation of the natural world (and corporate world) demonstrates there are many levels and types of 'intelligence'

Gods_Butthole posted:

Hell yeah.

Also there's a theory thread? Is it the communism thread?

yeah the 'spectrum' thread but don't read it bc it keeps getting derailed by the absolute dumbest drama i've ever seen

seems to be some interest in a cybernetics thread so DM me if y'all have ideas for / want to make the OP. i've got a broad grasp of it but haven't done any organizing with cybernetics and don't work in a related field or anything, just started gooning out about it about 6 months ago lol

turd in my singlet has issued a correction as of 17:53 on May 4, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

Number seems to be ignoring this so far

We need some sort of mass market panic

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ahh, it sounds like Yellen has heard the cries about a possible rise in wages

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

We need some sort of mass market panic

There was a good 20 minutes where everything was making GBS threads itself.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

what is number's trajectory? is it up?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

what is number's trajectory? is it up?

Well according to technical analysis of drawing random lines on a squiggly line, you will see number is down today and about to pass my arbitrary mark.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1389632589351247873?s=19

They gonna do it.

Fed atlant gdpnow forecast for Q2 is 13.6%

Edit2:
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1389632324917207044?s=19

THEY GONNA DO IT!

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 18:29 on May 4, 2021

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yes because yellon isn't the ratemaster and that's a rather remarkable breach of fed :airquote: independence :airquote:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

NUMBER UP

wait, not that one, no, oh nooo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the sovcits were right

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

NUMBER UP

wait, not that one, no, oh nooo

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

can someone explain this to me? did they just forget to collect 7 trillion tax dollars? just a little woopsy doodle?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

punished milkman posted:

can someone explain this to me? did they just forget to collect 7 trillion tax dollars? just a little woopsy doodle?

IRS can’t afford to actually audit/go after the rich so yeah they just let them do whatever forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

punished milkman posted:

How do you suggest to collect money from billionaires if they don't just willingly hand it over?