Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So can we expect .webm files to work in mobile Safari in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Exactly how does transferring apps from an Intel MacBook to a M1 MacBook work? Do I have to reinstall apps that have native Apple Silicon versions?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Migration assistant will just bring everything over. If they're universal binary apps they'll just work fine. Most AS apps (with the exception of something like Chrome) are Universal Binaries.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yo, can I get a favour from someone on the latest safari on macOS (not tech preview, though), and from someone with an iPhone on the latest update? Can you go to https://webglreport.com/ and grab me screenshots of what you see on the webgl 1 tab? Ideally including the extension list.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yo, can I get a favour from someone on the latest safari on macOS (not tech preview, though), and from someone with an iPhone on the latest update? Can you go to https://webglreport.com/ and grab me screenshots of what you see on the webgl 1 tab? Ideally including the extension list.

just PM'd you a text dump of that page for macos safari

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MikeJF posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thanks guys, very handy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kefkafloyd posted:

Migration assistant will just bring everything over. If they're universal binary apps they'll just work fine. Most AS apps (with the exception of something like Chrome) are Universal Binaries.

Also worth noting that most Intel apps will work fine. Rosetta 2 is stronk.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
macOS: Big Sur 11.3

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
SuperDuper Bootable backups return in 11.4. For ARM and Intel.

https://www.shirtpocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/finally/

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 30, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to make a little bash script this weekend that just rysncs some files to my NAS and sends me a push notification for each top level directory. However, is there a command that I can use to make sure the energy saver doesn't suspend the process? (Letting the laptop and external screens turn off is also preferred.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

IUG posted:

I'm going to make a little bash script this weekend that just rysncs some files to my NAS and sends me a push notification for each top level directory. However, is there a command that I can use to make sure the energy saver doesn't suspend the process? (Letting the laptop and external screens turn off is also preferred.)

Yes, the terminal command "caffeinate" will delay sleep while it's running.

If you don't need the calling computer to be involved after starting the script, you could use ssh to run the script remotely.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

SuperDuper Bootable backups return in 11.4. For ARM and Intel.

https://www.shirtpocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/finally/

Aww dang. I've used CCC for years but was bummed when bootable clones disappeared so I'm glad to see this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Also worth noting that most Intel apps will work fine. Rosetta 2 is stronk.

Reading up on how it works with the processor memory order support is interesting. Every time Microsoft has tried to develop hardware assistance like this Intel has heavily threatened to sue; are there any hints at that here?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MikeJF posted:

Reading up on how it works with the processor memory order support is interesting. Every time Microsoft has tried to develop hardware assistance like this Intel has heavily threatened to sue; are there any hints at that here?
Apple can be extremely petty and spiteful towards their hardware suppliers if they’re not happy or feel slighted. I’d imagine any threat that they’d sue would probably be met with a counter threat that Apple would immediately cease production of any Intel based stuff instead of finishing off any current contracts.

Apple’s also the sort of company that would probably go through with their threat just to prove a point. Especially if that report about the high end ARM processors going to production is accurate.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Aww dang. I've used CCC for years but was bummed when bootable clones disappeared so I'm glad to see this.

I'm sure CCC will get support too, SueprDuper just managed to get there first. They'll both use the same mechanism (ASR) to do it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quackles posted:

Yes, the terminal command "caffeinate" will delay sleep while it's running.

If you don't need the calling computer to be involved after starting the script, you could use ssh to run the script remotely.

Thanks. I do need the Mac, as the NAS charges money for ExFAT support. So the hard drive needs to connect to my Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the situation as of roughly beginning of November was that bootable clones weren't possible for a time on either Inter OR M1 under Big Sur.

Mike Bombich who writes CCC was able to make a fudge that allowed bootable backups in the end of November for Big Sur, but only for Intels.

According to Dave Nanian in the blog that kefkafloyd mentioned, Apple finally loving fixed the command asr in 11.4 beta so it works with duplicating sealed system volumes where before it didn't.

For some assholish reason, Apple didn't place a priority on being able to make bootable clones (whereas it was possible in every single prior macOS release up until 10.15.5) so it didn't get fixed until just now.. unbelieveable..

11.4 is still on its first beta; maaaaayyyyybe it'll be final / RC sometime after WWDC, in my estimation..

This also introduces the idea that if you want a bootable backup of any system from when asr was broken, you must remember to boot from an 11.4+ volume to do it..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 30, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

For some assholish reason, Apple didn't place a priority on being able to make bootable clones (whereas it was possible in every single prior macOS release up until 10.15.5) so it didn't get fixed until just now.. unbelieveable..

I hate to break it to you but the Mac graybeard crowd which insists on bootable clones is small. Noisy and easily angered, but small. It's not even all Mac graybeards either, I'm pretty sure I qualify as one and I haven't bothered with that poo poo for at least a decade.

Given that the M1 launch seemed to be a bit rushed on the software/firmware side, what with even booting from external drives being buggy at first, it's not hard to guess why working on making ASR support bootable clones with the changes in Big Sur got triaged into a low-priority bin. There were more important fires to fight.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

macOS 11.3 giving anyone else issues? Touch bar on my MacBook Pro turns off and wont turn back on until reboot.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Housh posted:

macOS 11.3 giving anyone else issues? Touch bar on my MacBook Pro turns off and wont turn back on until reboot.

The update on my 2015 rMBP created a second data volume, which messed up login,. Any login would cause a reboot. This led to a flaten and reinstall.
Pro about it was I had to swap to my old hard drive to make a USB boot and I found my battery was ballooning, So guess it was nice it hosed up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 macOS 11.3.1 has been pinched out 💩💩💩

Security patches for WebKit, other stuff you don't need to know about so far as Apple is concerned

💩💩💩

Edit: full 11.3.1 installer now available in the App Store as well

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 3, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do these get rolled out in waves? I just checked swup and it says I'm up to date. Even unchecked and re-checked the "keep updating automatically" checkbox and still nada.

Kind of hoping to get this updated while I have some work downtime but I guess I'll have to do it after hours.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's a 2.4 GB (lol) update so after hours might work out better..

Software Update sometimes won't work for me unless I reboot, whereupon during reloading the desktop it picks up that there's an update and tells me in notifications that it'll reboot at the end of the day..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

2.4gb that’s a helluva point security patch.

E: 3.3gb on my M1 MBP holy heck :psyduck:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, I updated on an Intel so that partially explains the size discrepancy..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got 900mb of extra security :smug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’ve suddenly got a massive WiFi connection problem with my 2015 MBP- last night it suddenly started dropping and reconnecting to my home WiFi network. It was dropping and I’d have to reconnect by turning WiFi off and restarting it. This would happen every couple of minutes at shortest to every 15 minutes at longest. This morning I was able to install the latest Big Sur update (although it was start and stop because of this problem) and now the connection flickers on amd off constantly as if a child was turning a light switch off and on rapidly out of boredom. I’ve restarted my router and have an Eero mesh network. All my other devices (iPad, iPhone, and my Mini which is connected via Ethernet) have zero problems connecting to the network. The Eero is up to date as well.

He;lp :(

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Wait, when did we finally get to send to a pair of HomePods? I only used to be able to send to the left one or the right one other than through iTunes. I'm on 11.3

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’ve suddenly got a massive WiFi connection problem with my 2015 MBP- last night it suddenly started dropping and reconnecting to my home WiFi network. It was dropping and I’d have to reconnect by turning WiFi off and restarting it. This would happen every couple of minutes at shortest to every 15 minutes at longest. This morning I was able to install the latest Big Sur update (although it was start and stop because of this problem) and now the connection flickers on amd off constantly as if a child was turning a light switch off and on rapidly out of boredom. I’ve restarted my router and have an Eero mesh network. All my other devices (iPad, iPhone, and my Mini which is connected via Ethernet) have zero problems connecting to the network. The Eero is up to date as well.

1) Do the big four troubleshooting steps: reset SMC, reset NVRAM, boot into Safe Mode, boot into Recovery Mode and run the 'repair' feature in Disk Utility
2) Go to the Network system pref and delete the wifi service. Reboot. Re-add the wifi service
3) Go to the Network system pref and create a new Location and join from there

There is also a way to delete your entire network stack and have the OS rebuild it I can't remember it off hand

e: just remembered another possible troubleshooting step - boot into Recovery Mode, reinstall the base OS, see if that solves your problem

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 4, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I recently upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur, and I had this bizarre error where Music was pointing about 15 songs some other seemingly random file. I honestly don't understand how this could even happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QBhP0tu-hk

When I add the right file back in, Music randomly switches to the Search screen, and when I go back to the songs view, it doesn't remember where I was :confused: It seems like my view settings don't stick between OS reboots, either...

Also, dependency errors on macOS :hellyeah:

code:
$ strings ./somefile
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
I know whining about software quality isn't interesting, but I was just having this conversation with someone about how it's quality has gone seriously down in the last 10 years and companies half expect the users to be QA. The last time I submitted a bug report to Apple was also probably 10 years ago. I provided all the necessary documentation and steps to reliably recreate the issue, and it was just a boilerplate response that did nothing and the ticket eventually just closed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It sounds like either your WiFi hardware or your antennas have become defective, if the software fixes that FMguru mentioned don't do anything for you.

You can change out the WiFi/Bluetooth combo card yourself for a pittance (maybe $15-20 at PowerBook Medic or iFixit) but if the situation doesn't change, the only way to replace the antennas is by ordering a new LCD display (the antennas are integrated into the display) which can cost a pretty painful $600+..

Can you get a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter from the Fruit Store in the meantime?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

It sounds like either your WiFi hardware or your antennas have become defective, if the software fixes that FMguru mentioned don't do anything for you.

You can change out the WiFi/Bluetooth combo card yourself for a pittance (maybe $15-20 at PowerBook Medic or iFixit) but if the situation doesn't change, the only way to replace the antennas is by ordering a new LCD display (the antennas are integrated into the display) which can cost a pretty painful $600+..

Can you get a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter from the Fruit Store in the meantime?

The strange thing is that this is only happening on my home network- I had zero problems connecting at work. New thing: it looks like something might be up with the Eero home base? I was in the back of my place which is closer to one of the satellite wifi routers and had no problems at all staying online there. This is odd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The strange thing is that this is only happening on my home network- I had zero problems connecting at work. New thing: it looks like something might be up with the Eero home base? I was in the back of my place which is closer to one of the satellite wifi routers and had no problems at all staying online there. This is odd.

You don't have some funky unshielded cables on anything plugged into the laptop do you? Anything new?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

💩💩💩 macOS 11.3.1 has been pinched out 💩💩💩

Security patches for WebKit, other stuff you don't need to know about so far as Apple is concerned

💩💩💩

Edit: full 11.3.1 installer now available in the App Store as well

Since 11.3 my machine kernel panics every morning about two minutes after I turn my monitors on. Coolio. Hopefull resolved in 11.3.1?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Thanks. Well at least I didn't miss it and remained annoyed longer than necessary.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Okay, have you checked for the latest firmware on the base router, or powered down the eeros and brought them online one at a time?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

You don't have some funky unshielded cables on anything plugged into the laptop do you? Anything new?

No, only the power cable, but only sometimes. When I unplug the power I was still finding this going on.

Binary Badger posted:

Okay, have you checked for the latest firmware on the base router, or powered down the eeros and brought them online one at a time?

It seems to have calmed down but I am going to do this. I'll have to find out how to update the surfboard firmware- the Eero is completely up to date but I'm going to cycle their power as well when I get back home a bit later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Since 11.3 my machine kernel panics every morning about two minutes after I turn my monitors on. Coolio. Hopefull resolved in 11.3.1?

Intel or M1? Did 11.3.1 work for you?