Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lessons are just worst Adventures, there’s no reason to do stuff with Lessons until Adventures aren’t there to just dramatically overshadow everything else. Bonecrusher Giant and Brazen Borrower are loving insane magic cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Professor of Symbology is a staple in the Winota decks. At least one of Eyetwitch and Hunt for Specimens will probably be in the sacrifice deck if it turns out to be good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Learn is already in most specific Bo1 decks since the release. Professor is the most playable in general, and also in the most rotation proof tier 1 deck (mono-w aggro).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

Lessons are just worst Adventures, there’s no reason to do stuff with Lessons until Adventures aren’t there to just dramatically overshadow everything else. Bonecrusher Giant and Brazen Borrower are loving insane magic cards

Yeah the problem isn't that Lessons are bad, it's that there's no reason for them to be used as long as Adventures are around.

Pretty much all the White Lessons are playable and there's at least one in each other color that has some utility. Assuming the summer and fall sets aren't ELD levels of power I would expect to see Lessons have their time in the sun in Standard at least.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

That Italian Guy posted:

Not a big fan of this draft - I had started Silverquill, then went Witherbloom since it was open, but I didn't manage to get any really good cards. What should I remove?

I'd probably cut fortifyfing draught, bayou groff, team pennant and 2 moldering karok. There's also the question how much use the field trips are going to be with the limited lessons you have. And dramatic finale will likely be very late so that's not ideal either. It's a tricky one.

Do you have anything else worth splashing white maybe?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://magic.gg/news/may-strixhaven-league-weekend-historic-rules-change

Not sure if the current builds run him, but Bolas being suspended seems like a non-insubstantial nerf to the Grixis pact decks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lmao, I managed to cast magma opus, copy it with teach by example and then copy it again with the legendary uncommon. when the UR deck comes together it's really fun

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VictualSquid posted:

Learn is already in most specific Bo1 decks since the release. Professor is the most playable in general, and also in the most rotation proof tier 1 deck (mono-w aggro).

This is wholly not my experience, but I guess it could be true. Ranked Bo1 hasn't changed one iota for me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

Not sure if the current builds run him, but Bolas being suspended seems like a non-insubstantial nerf to the Grixis pact decks.

Search for Azcanta being banned is going to save some pros from attempting to play UB Control.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fadam posted:

I think Azcanta is the most played of those cards. That hits basically all decks that run islands.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

elbkaida posted:

I'd probably cut fortifyfing draught, bayou groff, team pennant and 2 moldering karok. There's also the question how much use the field trips are going to be with the limited lessons you have. And dramatic finale will likely be very late so that's not ideal either. It's a tricky one.

Do you have anything else worth splashing white maybe?
Only a Defend the Campus and a Rise of Extus. All the games I've played so far have been super grindy, so Dramatic Finale has been really good; and Team Pennant too, for some reason :psyduck: Equip1 on tokens works well with Finale to create a very long supply of 4/3 fliers with trample and vigilance.

EDIT: went 5/3 after a lot of super long grindy games. Got the extra package for a second time in a row :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 4, 2021

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Azathoth posted:

It feels like it was architected to be playable at the power level they're setting for after Eldraine leaves Standard. In that it's obviously not quite there right now, even if it might see sporadic use like how Monowhite will play Professor of Symbiology now, but seems to be a good fit in a Witherbloom sacrifice deck if such a thing becomes viable.

:ohdear:

Someone has been watching too much CGB.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

This is wholly not my experience, but I guess it could be true. Ranked Bo1 hasn't changed one iota for me.

If you're playing mono white in bo1 (read: me), you're probably still playing lifegain as opposed to the snow version, and learn doesn't do much for you there. But things will definitely change when almost everything in that deck rotates out.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhilippAchtel posted:

:ohdear:

Someone has been watching too much CGB.
Oh ffs... thanks for letting me know though, I would've been mispronouncing that for the rest of the set for sure.

rickiep00h posted:

Monowhite is the only meta deck that I've seen it but I've seen it in Witherbloom and various flavors of Monogreen and Monoblack too.

Definitely not something I expect to see go into more meta decks, but I'm gonna make an uneducated guess and say that it'll be used a bunch more in the Fall, assuming Wizards doesn't screw the pooch on power levels in the meantime

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So, I really want to get on the Winota bandwagon. I don't have any Bonecrushers which is definitely a problem and only have two Blade Historians (I can potentially buy a third), but I can cobble this together if I only spend 4 wildcards on the Winotas:

Someone please tell me it's a bad idea.

Deck
4 Winota, Joiner of Forces (IKO) 216
4 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226
4 Professor of Symbology (STX) 24
4 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
4 Usher of the Fallen (KHM) 35
4 Selfless Savior (M21) 36
2 Blade Historian (STX) 165
4 Seasoned Hallowblade (M21) 34
4 Elite Spellbinder (STX) 17
2 Haktos the Unscarred (THB) 218
4 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
14 Plains (STX) 367
6 Mountain (STX) 373

Sideboard
1 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
1 Mascot Exhibition (STX) 5
1 Spirit Summoning (STX) 236
1 Inkling Summoning (STX) 195
3 Academic Probation (STX) 7

Maybe Reidane instead of Lurrus, but it's still a bad idea I'm sure. I just always seem to have way more mythic WCs than rare.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 4, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Winota deck always plays Professor of Symbology from what I've seen. The sacrifice decks generally play some number of Eyetwitch and/or Hunt for Specimens but that deck still seems unrefined.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Once Brazen Borrower leaves, I bet Divide by Zero sees play.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

hi just posting to say im mad about the maelstrom muse bug. thats all

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

hi just posting to say im mad about the maelstrom muse bug. thats all

So even with arena, wotc isn't in much of a hurry to bug fix.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

So even with arena, wotc isn't in much of a hurry to bug fix.

Here's the bug fix: All bugged cards are banned from play.

Done. Next item on the list?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

wolfman101 posted:

This new draft is my luckiest yet. Picked up P1P1 Hofri, P2P1 Blot Out the Sky, Lorehold Command, 3 Combat Professors, and a Gods Willing this draft. I couldn't find an Environmental Sciences though, so I had to cut an Igneous Inspiration. Game 1 the opponent scooped while at 16 life when I played Lorehold Command after they double blocked Hofri. Hopefully the rest go this easy.

Game 2: A perfect curve into Hofri is ruined by a Killian with 3 Closing Statements. RIP.
Game 3: mana screwed big time. They cast Body Of Research on turn 6. RIP. I put in Defend the Campus so I can have more removal.
Game 4: Opponent mana screwed big time and scoops to Blot Out the Sky.
Game 5: I flood out big time. Draw Blot Out the Sky and cast for x=6 barely avoiding an L.
Game 6: Keep an awkward hand with Hofri and BOtS and eventually cast BOtS for 7, destroying my own Letter Acceptance, which kept me from casting Lorehold Command the next turn. I still win.
Game 7: BOtS wins me the game handily
Game 8: BOtS wins me the game handily
Game 9: BOtS and Lorehold Command are both discarded to hand hate, but I win thanks to 2 Combat Professors and many chump blockers for their Demigoth Titan.

Another trophy in the books.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

Maybe Reidane instead of Lurrus, but it's still a bad idea I'm sure. I just always seem to have way more mythic WCs than rare.

I do think Reidane or another human target Basri's Lieutenant if you have any of them? Haktos puts in some serious work though, good thing you have those. Seems pretty doable though, the deck is extremely powerful alone. I have played a version with bonecrusher giants in it mostly though.

I've been playing this version of magecraft I came up with:

Deck
3 Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
7 Mountain (STX) 373
2 Magda, Brazen Outlaw (KHM) 142
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Show of Confidence (STX) 28
9 Plains (STX) 367
1 Showdown of the Skalds (KHM) 229
4 Leonin Lightscribe (STX) 20
4 Clever Lumimancer (STX) 10
4 Defiant Strike (STA) 3
3 Guiding Voice (STX) 19
2 Heightened Reflexes (IKO) 123
4 Study Break (STX) 34
1 Kabira Takedown (ZNR) 19
4 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
2 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
2 Sejiri Shelter (ZNR) 37

Sideboard
1 Start from Scratch (STX) 114
1 Illuminate History (STX) 108
1 Expanded Anatomy (STX) 2
1 Introduction to Prophecy (STX) 4
1 Reduce to Memory (STX) 25

It's really fun when it goes off. You just keep getting more treasures by targeting your goldspan. I tried a version with storm-kiln artificer as well but it's a pretty iffy card at 4mana 2 toughness to get any significant magecraft combo off.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Azathoth posted:

Once Brazen Borrower leaves, I bet Divide by Zero sees play.

Yeah for sure

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

PhilippAchtel posted:

If you're playing mono white in bo1 (read: me), you're probably still playing lifegain as opposed to the snow version, and learn doesn't do much for you there. But things will definitely change when almost everything in that deck rotates out.

What I mean is the only monowhite aggro I've seen is some version of lifegain, with the exception of a pretty terrible Silverquill tokens deck being the only thing I saw playing Learn/Lessons and I only just played against it today.

The only real common thing I've run into that I didn't before Strix is Winona. Maybe things are weirder in the higher ranks, but gold and plat for me have been just a lot of the same.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I personally think from playing many competitive games over the years that tracking your winrate and counting all your percentages like a calorie counter isn’t nearly as useful as setting intentional practice and focusing on making fewer mistakes during actual gameplay. You’re not gonna get better at the game by making it more stressful and like homework, you’re gonna get better by finding a deck that really speaks to you and that you are enthusiastic about.

this is generally it

i also play many competitive or ranked games and really you just gotta find what makes you happy and then make that tight as hell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

wolfman101 posted:

Another trophy in the books.

Nice!

It's definitely stressful when you get put to two losses early on, but that makes it feel much better when you claw your way to 7 wins anyway.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
7-2 with this prismari pile

lessons:
1x environmental sciences
1x expanded anatomy
1x teachings of the archaics
1x elemental summoning
1x fractal summoning

Nassari, Dean of Expression, Dream Strix and the 3x Prismari Pledgemages did a ton of work. Opt, Shock, and 2x bury in books were enough to enable them most of the time and put enough pressure on the opponent that the two 4/4s with Elemental Masterpiece + Team Pennant were enough to finish most people

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 5, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PhilippAchtel posted:

So, I really want to get on the Winota bandwagon. I don't have any Bonecrushers which is definitely a problem and only have two Blade Historians (I can potentially buy a third), but I can cobble this together if I only spend 4 wildcards on the Winotas:

Someone please tell me it's a bad idea.

Deck
4 Winota, Joiner of Forces (IKO) 216
4 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226
4 Professor of Symbology (STX) 24
4 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
4 Usher of the Fallen (KHM) 35
4 Selfless Savior (M21) 36
2 Blade Historian (STX) 165
4 Seasoned Hallowblade (M21) 34
4 Elite Spellbinder (STX) 17
2 Haktos the Unscarred (THB) 218
4 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
14 Plains (STX) 367
6 Mountain (STX) 373

Sideboard
1 Spirit Summoning (STX) 236
1 Inkling Summoning (STX) 195
3 Academic Probation (STX) 7

You NEED four Blade Historian. Trust me on this one. As for Bonecrusher, it's without a doubt the best red card ever printed, but crafting something that's gonna rotate so soon is risky.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
'So soon' is in four months, and for those four months, it's still the best red card ever printed. It's not risky, it's essentially necessary if you wanna play anything red.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Share Bear posted:

this is generally it

i also play many competitive or ranked games and really you just gotta find what makes you happy and then make that tight as hell

I think I'm still gonna stand on my original advice about tracking win rates for this specific case. If you're not winning like you think you should and you're watching videos of your deck being run by top players who are winning and you're just not seeing where you're going wrong, either you gotta get more info yourself about what's happening or pay someone to look over your games and point it out to you.

Yeah, for most people tracking numbers doesn't make the game more fun, but in the original context of someone playing decks they like and asking how to improve after playing a ton of games and not improving, saying "find what makes you happy" is pretty bad advice. They did that, they're not winning, now they're asking how to improve.

The answer might be that they're playing horrible jank and need to netdeck something decent until they build up better baseline skills, but in context of "how do I play the decks I want and win", they already did the basic stuff, so it's pretty much get more data about what's not working or pay someone to figure it out for you.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

this was the most insane game of limited. what a roller coaster. i couldn't believe it when they played brackish trudge to give me exact lethal with 0 cards or spells left.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Lol at the people demanding pact bans. Are magic players ever happy?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing they should do with pact is improve the UI, which they said they were gonna patch in. Also if there was a way to make handling storm triggers less rear end that would be nice

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
yeah they just need a better pact ui and a "same targets" button for storm like mtgo. if we're really dreaming maybe there'd be some way to demonstrate a loop and have it repeat x times

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

witchy posted:

yeah they just need a better pact ui and a "same targets" button for storm like mtgo. if we're really dreaming maybe there'd be some way to demonstrate a loop and have it repeat x times

I was thinking something similar to the poker "make a deal" ui where both players check a box acknowledging the combo or whatever is valid but that seems rife for difficulty and abuse

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Lol at the people demanding pact bans. Are magic players ever happy?

as a magic player, no

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I stepped away from Arena when I wasn't feeling Ikoria. Strixhaven pulled me back in from a lore perspective. This rules cause now I have time to sandbag gold for Forgotten Realms.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Me: Hell yeah. I drafted 4 combat professors and an okay Lorehold aggro deck. This should get me like 4-5 wins.

3 straight games on the draw with bad hands against decks with all the answers later.

Me: gently caress drafting forever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Share Bear posted:

this is generally it

Speaking of which, Simic Aggro is good as hell in Historic right now and a ton of fun if you're a godless heathen like me who likes to turn creatures sideways but also deny your opponent all their key plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing I'm not the only one that has dumped the card they want in the yard with Curate?