Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

without context for why sony sold the film to netflix in the first place, it's going to be hard for me not to come to the conclusion that sony got scared of releasing an all-ages animated film with a queer MC, while netflix doesn't give a poo poo (kipo, she-ra). who knows what previous drafts of the script were like, her relationship might have been more integrated into the plot

Isn't the context of it coming out on netflix just that it had like 5 different theater release dates and they all fell through then sony said "ugg, just put it out somewhere". It doesn't seem like they pulled it from theaters for any bigger reason than any other movie not coming out in theaters right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just remembered one of my favorite jokes in the movie which is the camera zooming in on the "ñ" when the dad is trying to use the giant phone

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't the context of it coming out on netflix just that it had like 5 different theater release dates and they all fell through then sony said "ugg, just put it out somewhere". It doesn't seem like they pulled it from theaters for any bigger reason than any other movie not coming out in theaters right now.
yeah it's possible, as they did the same for vivo. it's just weird because they didn't do that for hotel transylvania 4 which releases in theaters just two months from now, or peter rabbit 2 which is next month

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah it's possible, as they did the same for vivo. it's just weird because they didn't do that for hotel transylvania 4 which releases in theaters just two months from now, or peter rabbit 2 which is next month

Look at any date on the calendar and that is a day hotel transylvania 4 is supposed to come out:

"Hotel Transylvania: Transformania is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on July 23, 2021, by Sony Pictures Releasing.[1] In February 2019, the film was scheduled to be released on December 22, 2021.[10] In April 2020, the film was pushed forward to August 6, 2021.[11] In April 2021, the film was pushed forward again to July 23, 2021.[1]"

and it looks like michaels actually did come to some theaters in some cities but not others.

It kinda just seems like the entire movie industry is flailing and putting everything out different random ways to see what they can do.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'm definitely gonnna blame covid for this ending up on streaming. Plus Netflix is looking for big animated films to put on their platform before the "6 features a year" plan they've got going starts to materialize. The probably offered a pretty good amount for the rights.

Next year I can see a big return to theatrical events from all the studios. If that recent Marvel promo is anything to go by, theaters will return in a big way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't want theaters to return. I don't want to have to leave my house. I have to leave my house for work, and that's enough!!! Put everything up on streaming as soon as its released!!!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I like theaters for A/C in the summer, but yeah. I hope they find a way to make more money to keep making animated movies, but there's a 50% chance the theater I was in would have an annoying audience member who would take me out of the movie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Alternately, unplug all cables at major streaming services and go see a film in highest quality at a theater with a beautiful interior.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Macaluso posted:

I just remembered one of my favorite jokes in the movie which is the camera zooming in on the "ñ" when the dad is trying to use the giant phone

:catdrugs: HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD!? :catdrugs:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm watching arlo the alligator boy... the villains of the movie seem like they exist just because the writers thought that you can't have a film without a villain. and they're REALLY saturday morning cartoon villains

animation wise it's cute. i think the art is its best aspect. and the friendship between arlo and bertie

e: when ansel says "you're getting in the way of our emotional development" to the villains interrupting the emotional climax, my reaction was "same but unironically!!!!!". really weird pacing in this movie

i would be interested in seeing more of a director's cut version of this, but i guess the series will flesh out the main cast more

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 5, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

I don't want theaters to return. I don't want to have to leave my house. I have to leave my house for work, and that's enough!!! Put everything up on streaming as soon as its released!!!

Counterpoint: Theaters are awesome, especially if you get a good audience. :colbert: One of my favorite movie memories is going to see Get Out in a majority-black audience, which included a few people yelling at Chris "Don't trust that white bitch!" good advice, and the entire theater breaking into cheers when Rod rescues Chris at the end.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't care about the audience. The only audience I need is myself and my cat.

If they bring back theaters but still release movies on streaming at the same time then that'll be okay

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Similarly, when I saw the South Park movie in a crowd of 1000+ it was some kind of transcendent experience. When you can't even hear half the jokes because everyone's still roaring over the previous one.

Some backwards-ballcap bro-y dudes in front of me toward the end were muttering at each other like "drat, Satan deserves better than Saddam" lmao

The Beavis & Butt-head movie was the same way tbh. Really I have about a 10x inflated opinion of pretty much any movie or show that I first saw in a group rather than by myself. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, like I thought Invader Zim was the funniest and most incredible thing ever just because it was first shown me by a group of like 8 friends who had all seen it before and wanted to pull me in; it was just that kind of atmosphere. Then it happened again exactly the same way n years later with Final Space etc

e: I mean like yeah, if I'm by myself I'll watch with subtitles on and dissect the whole thing second by second so I'm sure to wring out the maximum enjoyment possible. But I feel like my life is missing something without these completely incoherent, irrational "shared group experience" things once in a while

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: Theaters are awesome, especially if you get a good audience. :colbert: One of my favorite movie memories is going to see Get Out in a majority-black audience, which included a few people yelling at Chris "Don't trust that white bitch!" good advice, and the entire theater breaking into cheers when Rod rescues Chris at the end.

I've seen Black Panther, Infinity War, and Endgame all in theaters. The experience of being there with the crowd and audiences just can't be replicated.

Edit: Forgot to add Promare. That poo poo was a loving experience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly in theatres was a fun experience even with understated reactions, the Ginyu Force cameo comes to mind as realising you're watching with a like-minded audience.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Promare in theatre was amazing, half of the theatre was swooning and half was booing at the ambigiously gay moments

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

fatherboxx posted:

Promare in theatre was amazing, half of the theatre was swooning and half was booing at the ambigiously gay moments

I remember lots of swooning and cheering.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
yeah it was all cheering for promare at my audience

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If people want to go to theatres, fine, but I got really sick and tired of theatres throwing huge hissy fits every time any company so much as glanced at simultaneous home releases. It took a pandemic to shut them up and I hope they never regain the ground they lost. If I want to watch a movie at home instead of a theatre, I should be able to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My favorite crowd experience was the first Jackass in theatres. My god what a good time.

I don't mind crowds getting into it in Marvel movies or whatever. But most theater experiences are ruined by just continual constant loving chatting during the movie and phoning. It's not the fun things that ruin it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If theaters don't get an exclusivity window, they probably go away. If you think an entire industry should die because you hate waiting a couple months to see new releases at home, you're an rear end in a top hat plain and simple.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wittgen posted:

If theaters don't get an exclusivity window, they probably go away. If you think an entire industry should die because you hate waiting a couple months to see new releases at home, you're an rear end in a top hat plain and simple.

You going to start whining about how millennials killed the diamond industry, too?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Phylodox posted:

You going to start whining about how millennials killed the diamond industry, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeuVQEdt-w

The movie theater industry is nothing like the diamond industry, don't be ridiculous. Yeah, I get that not everyone wants to go to a theater, but the home viewing experience is (for better and for worse!) far different from seeing a film in theaters. If having to wait a few months to see a film on streaming is the price to keep theaters going, it's one I'm personally fine with paying - and that's coming from someone who literally lives an hour and a half from the nearest theater.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The movie theater industry is nothing like the diamond industry, don't be ridiculous. Yeah, I get that not everyone wants to go to a theater, but the home viewing experience is (for better and for worse!) far different from seeing a film in theaters. If having to wait a few months to see a film on streaming is the price to keep theaters going, it's one I'm personally fine with paying - and that's coming from someone who literally lives an hour and a half from the nearest theater.

Okay. I don’t care. I’m not obligated to care. It’s not incumbent on me to inconvenience myself to help prop up an industry that can’t compete without an unfair advantage. That doesn’t make me an rear end in a top hat, and I don’t appreciate that guy calling me one.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you guys kill TGI Fridays by not going to a restaurant that I am also not going to I'm gonna be extremely upset!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Movie theaters are fantastic and the only way Mitchell’s would have been better is if my first time seeing it was on a giant screen with a bunch of people laughing at the jokes with me. Are you all not sick of sitting on your couch and watching new releases after 18+ months of that? And yeah, theaters going out of business would also just devastate so many people’s livelihoods. Go to the fuckin theater please!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nothing wrong with wanting to go to theaters, but it's silly to scold people for not caring about them and/or wanting home video to get equal priority. Most people who have jobs at movie theaters can still get jobs somewhere else, we're not talking about a highly specialized skill set here, probably not the most enviable working conditions either.

It would suck for theater owners, sure. Better home options also sucked for arcade owners. That just kind of happens sometimes. I don't want to act like that doesn't matter at all, but it's still not a reason to hold back on progress.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Are you all not sick of sitting on your couch and watching new releases after 18+ months of that?

Why would I be sick of that

Also maybe it's different for people like me who didn't get the pleasure of getting to work from home, but instead had to spend 10-12 hours at work surrounded by people, having movies come out on their release date at home instead of the theaters kicks rear end. Going back to either going to a movie theater or waiting until the release comes to streaming several months later is gonna suck poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Also maybe it's different for people like me who didn't get the pleasure of getting to work from home

I work from home. Definitely not sick of it. When I see people again it’ll be at friends’ houses and parks and botanical gardens.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Phylodox posted:

I work from home. Definitely not sick of it. When I see people again it’ll be at friends’ houses and parks and botanical gardens.

im sad i lost at the claw machine too but you need to let that hurt go baby ❤️

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sliami posted:

im sad i lost at the claw machine too but you need to let that hurt go baby ❤️

I still have the Psyduck I won at the claw machine. I still hate theatres.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Movie theaters are fantastic and the only way Mitchell’s would have been better is if my first time seeing it was on a giant screen with a bunch of people laughing at the jokes with me. Are you all not sick of sitting on your couch and watching new releases after 18+ months of that? And yeah, theaters going out of business would also just devastate so many people’s livelihoods. Go to the fuckin theater please!

Yeah there's a chance that watching Mitchells in theaters I'd be buzzing the way I did during Spiderverse. Instead Mitchells is a movie I will remember as well made and fun but not really an experience.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I do miss seeing movies in cinemas but I gotta admit it’s been quite amazing to keep seeing new movies (when some companies release them) in the comfort of my home, where I can forget about the pandemic for a couple of hours

Most studios are still pushing everything back, so it’s been a treat to be able to be able to see new stuff by Pixar and a few of the latest Warner movies. Feels like the world’s still going on if Godzilla is fighting a monke on my screen

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really miss going to the cinema. When I'm there, I'm there for one thing only, and it's filling my entire field of view. When I'm home watching a movie, I'm constantly distracted by a hundred different things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I like going to the movies, but with kids and other stuff it's like a once or twice a year thing for us. It's nice to be able to have the option.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Your opinion on movie theaters probably also depends on your home TV setup too. I live with four people and a chihuahua, and Canadian WiFi doesn't always play nice with streaming. When it works out its pretty nice but somedays the kid decides that It's Scream Time Now or someone else is playing Fortnite and hogging the bandwidth.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The_Doctor posted:

I really miss going to the cinema. When I'm there, I'm there for one thing only, and it's filling my entire field of view. When I'm home watching a movie, I'm constantly distracted by a hundred different things.

Yeah, exactly. Like even when I was watching MvtM, I was still checking my phone, switching over to Discord, etc. When I'm in a movie theater, my attention is on the movie, with the only potential distraction being from another audience member (which I personally don't usually have problems tuning out). And it's a great time! Like when I saw Rise of Skywalker, it was a garbage movie, but I still had a really fun time cackling and cracking jokes with my friends alongside me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, exactly. Like even when I was watching MvtM, I was still checking my phone, switching over to Discord, etc. When I'm in a movie theater, my attention is on the movie, with the only potential distraction being from another audience member (which I personally don't usually have problems tuning out). And it's a great time! Like when I saw Rise of Skywalker, it was a garbage movie, but I still had a really fun time cackling and cracking jokes with my friends alongside me.

The simple solution would be to turn off your phone/laptop/tablet until the movie is over. Or put them in a different room. Lmao.

[edit] I won't deny that the communal experience of cinema in a really good theater is a great social event and shouldn't go away, but I vastly prefer the comfort of my own home when watching movies. Though I admittedly am fortunate enough to have a nice TV and sound setup, but given how things have shaken up thanks to COVID, I hope the choice for me to be able to stream same day releases in my den doesn't go away ever.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

teagone posted:

The simple solution would be to turn off your phone/laptop/tablet until the movie is over. Or put them in a different room. Lmao.

My current setup is a laptop hooked up to a cheap 36" TV running off a mobile hotspot from my phone, so suffice it to say that's not really a practical solution :v: