Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The best anime is OG DuckTales because it's actually animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fighter Z is inarguably a better game game then Tenkaichi 3 but Tenkaichic 3 has 98 different fighters and just so loving much singleplayer content. Criminy on Ps2 it had a feature where if you inserted the previous 2 games you could play their special modes using it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Attack on Titan 2 and Dragon Ball Z Kakarot were both pretty good for my money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don't like when people just make flat out "I HATE ANIME" statements, what resonates with me more is people saying "i'm anime curious and i watched about a dozen and they are all just pretty boring" - I can relate to that, Death Note was good for 4 episodes, Attack of the Titan episode 1 has a good 5 minutes but sooner or later all the animes I've seen stop being about cool giant robots and alien lasers and poo poo and try and have actual drama and plot.

All the best animes are like 12 episodes long at maximum. And often have the same level of absurd escalation you expect from a multi-decade shonen.

Dragon Ball's had so many games in nearly every genre, and practically every subgenre of fighting games you can think of. FighterZ is basically the MvC that Disney refuses to let Capcom make, mechanically.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Have there ever been any Lupin III video games? Looking on Wikipedia there apparently have been, but none have ever been released in the states. They should make an open world MGS style Lupin video game, I would play the hell out of that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowboy Bebops PS2 game is a real bad rail shooter in the space ship which is one of the more baffling uses of a license.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Cowboy Bebops PS2 game is a real bad rail shooter in the space ship which is one of the more baffling uses of a license.

So much cheaper and easier to make a rail shooter than almost any other type of modern 3D game, that's probably the reason.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All the best animes are like 12 episodes long at maximum. And often have the same level of absurd escalation you expect from a multi-decade shonen.

:same:

I feel like this is true for most entertainment, not just anime. I hate how often shows are just made to go on forever until everyone is sick of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be that short, but planned durations of just a season or two worth of runtime are often the best, imo. So often you can tell at near the beginning of a show that whatever plot thread (especially if it's a romance plot) is just gonna dragged on into eternity and it's stupid as hell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry, I mistyped, that was a Ps 1 game. The PS2 game is a tps/brawler thing.

Meme Poker Party posted:

So often you can tell at near the beginning of a show that whatever plot thread (especially if it's a romance plot) is just gonna dragged on into eternity and it's stupid as hell.

Tell that to Rumiko Takahashi's cashed check

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meme Poker Party posted:

:same:

I feel like this is true for most entertainment, not just anime. I hate how often shows are just made to go on forever until everyone is sick of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be that short, but planned durations of just a season or two worth of runtime are often the best, imo. So often you can tell at near the beginning of a show that whatever plot thread (especially if it's a romance plot) is just gonna dragged on into eternity and it's stupid as hell.

except most tv anime are adaptations of successful manga or light novels
so your short 12 episode anime is really just chapters 1 through 7 of a story that already exists up to chapter 50 in some other medium, so it's not really going to have a satisfying conclusion or wrap up the loose ends

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I tried to watch princess monoke and spirited away and they were kinda alright but they are also 2 hours long movies and lmao if you weren't falling asleep by minute 20

I like his stuff, but they all feel like lazy Sunday afternoons and as a kid, I think I would have been checked out and playing with Lego ten minutes in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gaius Marius posted:

Having a twenty minute attention span describes zoomer more than boomers tbh. Smartphone have totally destroyed their ability to focus

boomers have a twenty minute attention span because their brains are at the age where they start getting holes in

as for the best licensed game... i dunno do super robot wars games count as licensed games

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

Aladdin. For the SNES.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Doctor J Off posted:

Have there ever been any Lupin III video games? Looking on Wikipedia there apparently have been, but none have ever been released in the states. They should make an open world MGS style Lupin video game, I would play the hell out of that

The Lupin PS2 game got a US release.

It loving sucked.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Drake yes :

Drake no :

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

so your short 12 episode anime is really just chapters 1 through 7 of a story that already exists up to chapter 50 in some other medium, so it's not really going to have a satisfying conclusion or wrap up the loose ends

If the manga is so good at reaching satisfying conclusions and tying up loose ends why is it up to #50

Play
Apr 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

If the manga is so good at reaching satisfying conclusions and tying up loose ends why is it up to #50

Because it's not, obviously. The whole point of manga is to drag things out as long as people will keep buying issues

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not so much anime that is bad, it's the people that can't shut the gently caress up about it or try to make it a lifestyle choice.

If you enjoy edgy fetishistic "adult" anime, the 80,000 episodes of DBZ, or formulaic anime RPG grindfests, OK, I get it, I like a lot of stupid poo poo too. This thing where cartoons are now a subculture that you have to rep? lol. Get a personality.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

poverty goat posted:

That's what I'm saying
and the anime is (typically) an adaptation of that, not a new unique self-contained story, meaning it will be just as bad with satisfying conclusions and loose endss

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Say what you will about manga/anime, but drawn out as they are they still wrap things up in a more concise and satisfying manner than any argument in this thread lmao!!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

Fighters Z and Budokai Tenkaichi 3

I have a surprising soft spot for Naruto: Rise of the Ninja which was sort of an open world game and only covered the parts of Naruto that were good. Made by Ubisoft so in hindsight, not surprising its a competent open world game.

pirate warriors is a good dynasty warriors series. i don't know if its a faithful reproduction of the anime though all i care about is killing 1,000 dudes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

Aladdin. For the SNES.

i always considered Aladdin for the NES to be the more impressive technical achievement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYa0cwGRF8A

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
making GBS threads on anime is like saying american wrestling is fake

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
That chat about videogame magic being boring and samey; I'm still thinking about how do you make magic interesting and new, not obtuse and annoying, and also be able to explain it in the worldbuilding.

All the ideas I come up with are poo poo because nobody really cares about magic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vic posted:

That chat about videogame magic being boring and samey; I'm still thinking about how do you make magic interesting and new, not obtuse and annoying, and also be able to explain it in the worldbuilding.

All the ideas I come up with are poo poo because nobody really cares about magic.

Yeah most of the time I'd rather punch an enemy in the face, hit them with a sword or shoot them with a gun than shoot fireballs or do mirror magic or whatever that is. Plus you can categorize most "special skills" in games as magic. If you want to

A detective game in a magical world might be cool, where you can use magic to solve the crime and examine the magic used at the scene to help piece it together or whatever

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Vic posted:

They should make a game based on the Earthsea magic system, which IIRC was based on knowing the true name of the thing in the original language of the world, the word aa key to magic, along with balance of elements or something like that. It could be a text parser adventure game

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
give me a magical spell that embiggens the foes balls so much that he becomes encumbered and can not move

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Having a twenty minute attention span describes zoomer more than boomers tbh. Smartphone have totally destroyed their ability to focus

ok boomer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If only the Japanese modeled manga after western sequential art, like Superman, which has been running sincee 1938

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t ever look up television viewing statistics by age group then lol

Frankly it’s probably better for our brains to be using a smartphone for 8+ hours a day than watching television for 8+ hours a day

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Vic posted:

Arx Fatalis has you combining runes you draw in realtime with the mouse to create spells and it's the best way to play that game. It's neat.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gyroscope based aiming should be more common. It's pretty cool and surprisingly precise on the switch, and most importantly, it's fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

A detective game in a magical world might be cool, where you can use magic to solve the crime and examine the magic used at the scene to help piece it together or whatever

The cases in Ace Attorney/Professor Layton where this happens are unbelievably good and the rest of the game so miserably bad that I can't recommend it even if I'd pay huge money for more magic crimes ace attorney

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the best licensed game is 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand. You are in Iraq and you are 50 Cent and you have to kill a bunch of al Qaeda dudes to get a diamond skull and also The Game is with you.

I probably got details wrong but that's what I remember

there was also a Sopranos game for PS2 but I never played it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There was a shockingly well done version of From Russia with Love that got Sean Connery out of retirement to do the voice and absolutely disappeared as soon as it was released. I bought it for PS2, I think, like a year after it came out for $7.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the best licensed game is 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand. You are in Iraq and you are 50 Cent and you have to kill a bunch of al Qaeda dudes to get a diamond skull and also The Game is with you.

I probably got details wrong but that's what I remember

there was also a Sopranos game for PS2 but I never played it

Bitch took his skull.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

poisonpill posted:

There was a shockingly well done version of From Russia with Love that got Sean Connery out of retirement to do the voice and absolutely disappeared as soon as it was released. I bought it for PS2, I think, like a year after it came out for $7.

Because the game itself was really really bad.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wolverine Origins is also a rad licensed game. Very brutal and visceral combat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Not really? Most I've seen are original to anime and get manga adaptations after the fact. Stuff like Gunbuster, Kill La Kill, TTGL.

Barudak posted:

The cases in Ace Attorney/Professor Layton where this happens are unbelievably good and the rest of the game so miserably bad that I can't recommend it even if I'd pay huge money for more magic crimes ace attorney

It's also basically a key part of Ace Attorney itself lowkey, funnily enough, with functional necromancy (at least in communing with the dead) being recognised and incorporated into the legal system. With the main issue being that it took people a surprisingly long time to realise that the victim of a murder isn't necessarily a more reliable witness than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the actual non-funny answer to the question of "best licensed game" is Alien: Isolation

i really love KOTOR and that Lord of the Rings game where you run around Mordor killing thousands of Orcs and assassinating their generals and poo poo. Shadow of Mordor I think. But Alien: Isolation is the best.