Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Evil Eagle posted:

badass, I can't wait to finally land a rock bottom at some point. seems so drat good

in shittier item news libra fuckin sucks. here's stats after getting a sacred heart then stats after picking up a curse of the blind libra in the chest

Were you too weak to beat the run? Libra can ruin a fun time but I find it's competent at getting me strong enough to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

No Wave posted:

Were you too weak to beat the run? Libra can ruin a fun time but I find it's competent at getting me strong enough to win.

No of course not, the chest really isn't that hard. Though if I didn't have the mark for delirium on this char (the void portal spawned) it probably would have been a bad time against him

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the problem with rock bottom is that its a secret room pool item and those items are like fuckin unicorns sometimes lol.
i remember what a pain it was to find skeleton key and trascendence to complete the item page for real plat god on og rebirth

e: i think real plat god was actually on ab, but still u get what i mean

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

No of course not, the chest really isn't that hard. Though if I didn't have the mark for delirium on this char (the void portal spawned) it probably would have been a bad time against him
I only mention it because I never skip an early Libra, there's too much potential upside and the 6 bombs + 6 keys can be really huge. Wasn't sure what the common perspective was, I can see skipping it if you're angling for a Delirium kill.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
you take libra to boost your mediocre damage stat, taking it with high attack has always been a bad call

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

People are going to hate you for this but I think you're right and that it has a good chance of happening. As long as they keep the quality and item pool bucketing (so you can have a pretty good idea that picking up more eternal hearts make you more likely to get an angel room item or whatever) I would find him way more enjoyable. I don't like feeling like I'm gimping myself by playing without a spreadsheet pulled up in the other window

Personally I feel like being able to craft the items you want is what makes him fun and unique. Randomizing it so you can't look up recipes just makes him a finnicky version of every other character where items are random.

e: or you can just not look up recipes while playing as him, if you prefer

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2021

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Personally I feel like being able to craft the items you want is what makes him fun and unique. Randomizing it so you can't look up recipes just makes him a finnicky version of every other character where items are random.

e: or you can just not look up recipes while playing as him, if you prefer

yeah, randomizing the recipes makes him just a normal character with more or less items depending on the pickup drops...if they don't want him to be used to unlock other characters marks then maybe they shouldn't have added the clicker item in the first place lol

I personally wouldn't use the clicker for that (or at all really) but I don't see the point in randomizing the recipes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He will always be distinct from other characters because he has a sack and crafts items. It's fine to want him to stay as is, but in its current state I wonder why it's any more interesting than using the dev console.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah in his current state he's kind of... campy, for the lack of a better word. Working with what you got seems to be more in line with how the other characters and the game as a whole work. Kilburn said they were thinking about tying the recipes to the seed instead of a singular formula in a later update, so get that cheese in while you can I guess.

That being said they do blacklist certain items for him and they could just add Clicker to that to avoid cheesing wins with other characters if he's kept the same otherwise.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
g motherfuckin g

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Araxxor posted:

Yeah in his current state he's kind of... campy, for the lack of a better word. Working with what you got seems to be more in line with how the other characters and the game as a whole work. Kilburn said they were thinking about tying the recipes to the seed instead of a singular formula in a later update, so get that cheese in while you can I guess.

That being said they do blacklist certain items for him and they could just add Clicker to that to avoid cheesing wins with other characters if he's kept the same otherwise.

Kilburn also said they might give each item their own specific unrandomized recipe and that might be a decent balance. Because yeah right now he's just... too much. But hey I'll take my free Greedier marks while I can.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

God Tainted Maggy is so fun. Especially on this run where I found Isaac's Heart first where it's just disgusting on this character. It basically lets you go completely berserk with your hugs since the chances of you getting healed will outweigh the amount of damage instances you take. And you can just hug bosses relentlessly almost consequence free. As insult to injury, I found Sharp Plug in a shop in the Corpse (thanks Silver Dollar!), basically giving me unlimited i-frames and healing against Mother where you can just keep spamming Yum Heart.

Pigbuster posted:

Kilburn also said they might give each item their own specific unrandomized recipe and that might be a decent balance. Because yeah right now he's just... too much. But hey I'll take my free Greedier marks while I can.

Same. Greedier Mode still sucks major rear end and I'll cheese that mode relentlessly while I can.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
good lord, you can have the best tainted eve run in history and superbosses still shred you. hush and mega satan took forever and basically killed all my dudes. this was the first time i didnt get a void portal after mega satan and boy was i glad cause i had only 4 red hearts filled.

also, glyph of balance as tainted eve is incredible, since it will always drop red hearts if your containers are empty. that said you gotta keep your eyes open so that you dont starve yourself of other consumables (had Options? which negated this thankfully)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I finally got around to trying out the buffed Keeper in Repentance and good lord he's so much better now! He actually feels like a real character instead of whatever the hell we were stuck with in Afterbirth and Afterbirth+. And the Hush unlock is way more worth it now. 3 HP makes a ton of difference, along with having 90% speed instead of 85%. (Seriously what the gently caress was with his original Hush unlock. Starting with 1 penny, what the poo poo?)

Uranus is probably one of the best Planetarium items, if not the best one period. Freezing enemies also disables their on-death attack, which ends up defanging so many enemies in this game!

EDIT: Seeing Tainted Keeper's 2 hearts filled me with dread, but after realizing what he's about it's probably one of the few things keeping him in check. Holy poo poo he's a lot of fun. Deep Pockets feels like it's a must have on this character.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 4, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like how many things got buffed specifically to make them act like you'd expect them to. Glyph of Balance affecting room drops and "Keeper now holds... A Penny!" meaning a third coin heart were two assumptions I think practically everyone made. Deep Pockets increasing wallet size is another one that makes total sense to me. It's even a Keeper unlock! I wonder if the AB+ implementation was a fallback from them not getting the 999 coins to work somehow.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

honestly beating what at the time was the hardest boss with the hardest character and getting a penny for it was a very funny joke imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Deep Pockets was in AB and was the first version of that effect which didn't limit you to cards/pills only.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Any tips for filling up the greed mode machine? I heard the % to jam it is specific to each character

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It is. But from 0 to 100 coins the jam chance is somewhere between 0 and 2 percent and with 34 characters in the game it's much less of a problem than it was. Once it hits 2% on a character I'd recommend to stop using them in greed mode.

Greedier mode, once unlocked, has a max 1% jam chance but it's generally harder to have a lot of coins when you reach the end so I think Greed mode is still the best way to do it.

You can fill it by putting in 100 coins each with:
Lillith
Tainted Lillith
Isaac
Tainted Isaac
Tainted Maggie
Samson
Azazel
Tainted Azazel
Judas
Bethany (spamming actives in the greed fight makes it ez)

It's easier now than ever before because bethany + so many of the tainteds are crazily strong in greed mode. I was dreading it when I started playing repentance but it wasn't so bad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 4, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Keeper was always good in Greed Mode and I imagine the buff has made him very strong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I put Tainted Keeper on my list originally but... no need to fill your greed machine at that point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am a glutton for punishment. And now I've got to do all that again with an even bigger glass cannon. :shepface: Thank you Dead Cat for the hard carry. Still not used to dodging Ultra Famine's attacks, though the rest of the battle isn't too bad. (Pro tip, you can destroy the ring of scythes Ultra Death summons to make dodging that easier.)

Also depending on how your Ascent run is going, you may or may not want to carry a cracked key to the hidden closet in Home, as if you have Inner Child unlocked, it'll show up there. This works even for Tainted Lost, who can't find it otherwise. Course if you don't need the extra life or have an extremely good card or pill you want to use instead, feel free to pass that up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Araxxor posted:

I am a glutton for punishment. And now I've got to do all that again with an even bigger glass cannon. :shepface: Thank you Dead Cat for the hard carry. Still not used to dodging Ultra Famine's attacks, though the rest of the battle isn't too bad. (Pro tip, you can destroy the ring of scythes Ultra Death summons to make dodging that easier.)

Also depending on how your Ascent run is going, you may or may not want to carry a cracked key to the hidden closet in Home, as if you have Inner Child unlocked, it'll show up there. This works even for Tainted Lost, who can't find it otherwise. Course if you don't need the extra life or have an extremely good card or pill you want to use instead, feel free to pass that up.

:hfive:

Dead Cat is the MVP for hard mode Lost

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Something that can help make Home runs smoother is skipping the item room on Mausoleum/Ghenna 2 if you don’t have the Dream Catcher. When you begin the Ascent, both of those items will be visible after taking Dad’s Note instead of one being under the blind effect.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I really wish the Isaac's Awakening challenge didn't end at Mother. It's a nice breezy ride the entire way through and then she comes in and it suddenly becomes a battle of attrition that takes loving forever as you dodge her attacks

Also the spin attack the sword deflects some stuff but not everything, like the bullet worms she summons. And the heart's bullets get deflected sometimes but not always???

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

gently caress Ultra Hard. That is all

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Wave posted:

He will always be distinct from other characters because he has a sack and crafts items. It's fine to want him to stay as is, but in its current state I wonder why it's any more interesting than using the dev console.

If there are no recipes for the sack it's just another way to get random items that's way more finnicky than walking into an item room and picking them up. I guess you can open chests over obstacles with it too. If it's really a crisis that people are using it to get unlocks in a single player game then they can just disable the clicker or whatever.

Not something I'm doing with him but really who cares.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

God it's so weird to play ??? now and remember how he was the joke character and the peak of the game's difficulty...once upon a time

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah remembering back to OG flash Isaac is weird feeling, especially when you think "what the gently caress would the Lost have been like in that version" and how the Chest was the be all end all

watho
Aug 2, 2013

even the chest wasn’t added until wrath of the lamb, and sheol was added in an update

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Repentance is the best isaac update since the chest. Imo it is that good (and lots of things in between were quite bad).

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'm really curious what they're going to do with Birthright for the rest of the characters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah repentance loving owns. AB+ absolutely killed all my drive to play the game but repentance completely reignited the flame

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I went back to see what marks I still had to finish on Xbox and there's still portals everywhere, Repentance is great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hush! :argh:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Esau Jr is such a stupid item because it's so much better mechanically than Jacob, Tainted Jacob, or Tainted Lazarus.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you can wrangle him properly, Dark Bum is life changing with Tainted Maggie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

got the R key when I'm already OP and have already committed to going down the Beast path so I can't double up on completion marks lol thanks game

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Black August posted:

Esau Jr is such a stupid item because it's so much better mechanically than Jacob, Tainted Jacob, or Tainted Lazarus.
At first I regretted unlocking it until I found out it was a d4 roll that came with an undo button. And, actually, it's better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Augus posted:

got the R key when I'm already OP and have already committed to going down the Beast path so I can't double up on completion marks lol thanks game

getting the R key on the void from either the secret room or a sub-boss is godlike. Sucks to get it when going for mega satan or the beast, because the game goes straight to credits after the kill. You don't have the moment to use the R key, where the game ticks off the completion mark before you actually enter the chest