Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Midnight Voyager posted:

He's not wrong that more white people restaurants need to get on making vegetarian/vegan stuff and that it'll get better as more people do it.

I disagree with the concept that "white people restaurants" are somehow deficient when it comes to vegetarian food. First off, European cooking has plenty of vegetable dishes already, so it's not like they have to be invented. Secondly, while a lot of European cuisine is meat heavy that's because it's European cuisine. It's a facet of the various cultures that developed that sort of cooking. If you go to a French restaurant and don't want boeuf bourguignon order ratatouille instead. It's not like it's on some hidden, secret menu.

edit: lovely snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thing is, if you want white people to all go for the vegetarian option you got to remove the meat option entirely. You can have 30 vegetarian options on a menu + steak and chips and 80% of white British men will go for the god drat steak.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steak is pretty great tbh

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Secondly, while a lot of European cuisine is meat heavy that's because it's European cuisine.

Attempting to go full vegan with only native Scandinavian options for a full year would be a recipe(ha ha) for suicide. We just don't really have the climate for it to be viable prior to modern global supply chains, and even then the winter fare in terms of fruits and greens here is insanely depressing, where everything is either technically-edible preserves, imports that were partially rotten even before being loaded on the truck or cultivars of fruits and vegetables bred to keep well at the cost of literally anything that would make them a fun eating experience.

So obviously, yeah, the vegetarian element is kind of missing from the traditional cooking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I don’t eat much meat, but when I do it’s often at a restaurant because the vegetable options are bad and/or overpriced.

Chipotle’s free guacamole gets me to go veggie there 💯% of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khizan posted:

The second is if you crack that tank wide open in an unventilated area you'll flood the area with CO2 and it'll pose a suffocation risk.

If you have functioning doors CO2 isn’t much of a suffocation risk. It displaces oxygen, sure, but you will break limbs and keep going in the panic response your brain throws you into to get out of there. It mostly just gets people that are in a confined space and can’t find their way out. N2 is a way worse asphyxiant.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I went veggie 20 years ago and the options then were poo poo. In the UK, half the places you'd go the only options were bread and, if you're lucky, a tomato soup of the day.

It's way better now that the market has grown, especially with veganism becoming so big. But I think it's pivoted slightly to places putting their prices up to capitalise on the market, and the variety seems to be narrowing to brand name faux-meat stuff, which is usually poo poo and always overpriced.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ratjaculation posted:

I went veggie 20 years ago and the options then were poo poo. In the UK, half the places you'd go the only options were bread and, if you're lucky, a tomato soup of the day.

It's way better now that the market has grown, especially with veganism becoming so big. But I think it's pivoted slightly to places putting their prices up to capitalise on the market, and the variety seems to be narrowing to brand name faux-meat stuff, which is usually poo poo and always overpriced.

I have the god drat BEST carrot and broccoli recipes, the carrot one is from the Queen’s kitchen wot my brother worked in.

julienne enough carrots to fit the bottom of a pan and crush a garlic clove on top. Add olive oil and butter and fry them for about 10 mins or until they look cooked on the outside, add 150ml of water and allow the water to boil off for 10 mins. Eat.

Cook your broccoli as normal and drain, add 1TBS of cider vinegar and 1TBS of clear honey and stir. Super simple but game changing

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

learnincurve posted:

I have the god drat BEST carrot and broccoli recipes, the carrot one is from the Queen’s kitchen wot my brother worked in.

julienne enough carrots to fit the bottom of a pan and crush a garlic clove on top. Add olive oil and butter and fry them for about 10 mins or until they look cooked on the outside, add 150ml of water and allow the water to boil off for 10 mins. Eat.

Cook your broccoli as normal and drain, add 1TBS of cider vinegar and 1TBS of clear honey and stir. Super simple but game changing

Thanks, carrot one sounds delish

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’m too hamhanded to julienne things 😔

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

goblin week posted:

I’m too hamhanded to julienne things 😔

This is what mandolines are for, just don't deli slice your ham hands on accident.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
loads of people do the thing where they get scared of big knives and use a little one thinking it’s safer, when conversely it’s the bigger one that gives you way more control over thicker things.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

This is what mandolines are for: deli slice your ham hands

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Steak is pretty great tbh

Corpses are nasty actually

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The British press the independent and huff post especially have journalists who just write about whatever batshit thing Tucker has said today; here’s the latest.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tucker-carlson-creepy-barack-obama_n_6090ec7ce4b05af50dc72e80?ri18n=true

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
QAnon is less deranged than this.

https://twitter.com/jakelobin/status/1389324493043154948?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/regencyreylo/status/1389058966525784068

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so uh, where is it?

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

This reminds me of the old Tumblr threads.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

hawowanlawow posted:

so uh, where is it?

Colorado, in some high altitude badlands. e.: ~10K altitude, with a three month growing season before the frost kills everything, lol

KazigluBey has a new favorite as of 16:58 on May 4, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

KazigluBey posted:

Colorado, in some high altitude badlands.

What the gently caress
that took a turn

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Colorado, in some high altitude badlands. e.: ~10K altitude, with a three month growing season before the frost kills everything, lol

What did YouTube do to deserve this?

...oh right, hosting Crowder's channel, among other things.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How did they liberate the land? Or are they just squatting on it? Assuming it isn't just an elaborate troll (which it probably is)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Heath posted:

How did they liberate the land? Or are they just squatting on it? Assuming it isn't just an elaborate troll (which it probably is)

I imagine they liberated by very loudly proclaiming that because the land was unceded they were returning the land to the rightful owners (themselves).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They have a crowdfunder for $500k and spent the $60k raised so far on buying the land.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Useless land can be really cheap, I'm not sure if it's the same the Rockies where there's actual resources like trees and water but here's 160 acres of Mojave dirt for $65,000.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12-Fort-Irwin-Saenz-Rd-12-Barstow-CA-92311/2073717059_zpid/

I assume if you go deep into the Rockies where access becomes difficult enough it's the same way. Of course there's a reason it's that cheap, as they're about to find out. Looks like they'll have plenty of access to (giardia-filled) water there, but good luck bringing in anything from the outside that's not on a mule or helicopter.

Knormal has a new favorite as of 18:48 on May 4, 2021

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

I know these people in particular are hopeless cuckoos/trolls, but in situations like that how feasible is using large scale greenhouse cultivation for subsistence farming?

I'm assuming not very, but just wandering how much not very.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bubblyblubber posted:

I know these people in particular are hopeless cuckoos/trolls, but in situations like that how feasible is using large scale greenhouse cultivation for subsistence farming?

I'm assuming not very, but just wandering how much not very.
You need tons of water, you need a major heat source, and depending on the location you may actually need artificial lighting because not enough sunlight gets through the winter clouds. You can't subsistence farm a greenhouse because it requires constant external inputs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You need tons of water, you need a major heat source, and depending on the location you may actually need artificial lighting because not enough sunlight gets through the winter clouds. You can't subsistence farm a greenhouse because it requires constant external inputs.

Importantly, they probably need different soil because I really doubt that rocky/sandy stuff that is there is going to be suitable for farming. I guess they could try hydroponics, but that's even harder to pull off.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Did it ever occur to them that there's a reason nobody was living there?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can't subsistence farm a greenhouse because it requires constant external inputs.

Well gently caress you Arsenic Lupin, your not my real agronomy professor!!!

*immediately dies of exposure in a rocky wasteland*

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
:wtf:

https://twitter.com/ZenaMOBrien/status/1389457421224058882?s=20

:wtc:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

The guy who’s running it is basically a cult leader. He’s come up in the tankie/moonbat thread before, particularly after his rant about Anne Frank performed in joker makeup. He was kicked out of an organization he used to run for being a bit much, and for context on that, it was an organization that thought a random small plane crash near them was a CIA plot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ZenaMOBrien/status/1389598583339507715

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whats worse, this terrible opinion or the terrible food photos she posts? The jury is out.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

zakharov posted:

Efforts like this aren't typically the product of "brains" organizations, so no.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
“If I can eat it why can’t I gently caress it?”

Heath posted:

Also I really gotta wonder how much indigenous involvement there is in this project because if they don't have the backing of the tribes who traditionally lived in that area it's not really much of a liberation, is it?

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 19:53 on May 4, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

(screenshotting)

:nms::nws:

Also that's not even the worst thing that person tweeted on the subject today.
https://twitter.com/ZenaMOBrien/status/1389450698924900356

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The terminal stage of horse girl syndrome