Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rodney Dangerfield seems remembered mostly for being one of the few 20th century comedians to make actual jokes.

alright now you're just saying things to make people mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The LSD thing was hilarious, but IMO it's also kind of funny that there is actually an ever-increasing amount of data being generated these days showing that psychedelics can actually be pretty effective at treating addiction

Not when self-administered based on the advice of internet strangers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Not when self-administered based on the advice of internet strangers.

I mean yeah, obviously, that's why it's funny

A significant number of sagas ITT are just "reasonable concept turned into hilarious parody by goon"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A direct link to the Hades comic, which is widely considered the greatest post ever made in QCS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950449&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post510542873

This is the only post I’ve ever seen that made me cry from laughing, god damned amazing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That owns.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The LSD thing was hilarious, but IMO it's also kind of funny that there is actually an ever-increasing amount of data being generated these days showing that psychedelics can actually be pretty effective at treating addiction

Under like lab settings which is not what the harm reduction mod was suggesting

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
no one asked but here’s the HondaRider post where he told sunburnt_aphid to try LSD

HondaRider271 posted:

Actually, yeah this is pretty heavily due to stigma/drug war. Did you not see the whole thing where she got taken to jail, then after she got out immediately went on a massive drug binge? Have you ever been to jail, or more accurately have you ever been to jail and then felt like you had no options at all when you got out except to ignore the experience by doing a bunch of drugs? Try going to a therapist or hospital or anywhere really with trackmarks on your body and see how much compassion and help you'll get. You don't get addicted to heroin because of the stigma, but it makes it nearly impossible to get off.

Aphid, I am very sorry you were arrested. No drug user should ever have to experience that, especially one who is heavily dependent on them. It does nothing for anyone and serves no purpose except further ruining lives. Having been there, I would bet right now you have no intention whatsoever of trying to do anything about the court case and just letting it go and hope you overdose or whatever by the time a warrant goes out. I cannot say I wouldn't do the same exact thing, so I must preface this by saying that I fully understand the mental block you have right now. But please get a lawyer, pay for them however you can, and try to minimize the damage on your record. One day you might want a job or something, and you're gonna have a gently caress of a time getting one if you just roll over and take a felony possession of heroin.

I don't know that there are any useful suggestions anyone could possibly give you about getting clean. Rehab is such a loving joke I can't even mention it without the disclaimer that it's really not going to work at all. I know it's probably a lovely thing to say since for many people it is a last resort before death, but if anything will drive you to drug use it is rehab. Try to take a bunch of LSD or something, poo poo, just get off the drat heroin.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Len posted:

Under like lab settings which is not what the harm reduction mod was suggesting

Like I said "goon takes reasonable concept and goons it into total parody" is a running theme with these sagas. It is literally the basis of the "proposal/reality" quote that set off this discussion

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

shelley posted:

no one asked but here’s the HondaRider post where he told sunburnt_aphid to try LSD

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=416104261#post416104261]

This thread is intensely depressing, and not even just for this post

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Heath posted:

This thread is intensely depressing, and not even just for this post

TCC as a whole is mostly intensely depressing, and this is coming from someone who used to do a ton of drugs

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Like I said "goon takes reasonable concept and goons it into total parody" is a running theme with these sagas. It is literally the basis of the "proposal/reality" quote that set off this discussion

"Under a carefully controlled set and setting, LSD may have certain therapeutic effects"

"Cool, I'm suicidal so I'll triple-dose and hang out alone in an underground graveyard"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

TCC as a whole is mostly intensely depressing, and this is coming from someone who used to do a ton of drugs

:same:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shelley posted:

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=416104261#post416104261]

Sunburnt Aphid was on death’s door at the time, for context.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the advice she needed was more in line with "go to a hospital you are in imminent danger" not for GED Aldous Huxley to drop in for his hot takes on hallucinogens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol the GBS COVID thread finally got locked.

Some people have seriously lost their minds.

Edit : now lock the rest of them so that some of these posters can get the help they need.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Here's the thread. Sadly, archives are required to view it, but here's a summary:

She got roasted by goons including an admin:

Then The Finn told everyone to shut up and post photoshops on pain of probation. A few pages later:

I think this must've been her "Trump humiliated by Obama for birther poo poo at a celebrity gala" moment regarding the forums, so to speak.

lol just absolutely incredible, thanks Vincent

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shelley posted:

I forgot how bad he poo poo on rehab before suggesting "a bunch of LSD." Piece of poo poo, indeed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MarcusSA posted:

lol the GBS COVID thread finally got locked.

Some people have seriously lost their minds.

Edit : now lock the rest of them so that some of these posters can get the help they need.

Any good bit to start at?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I've heard that the GBS one was actually the least "the end is nigh!" one of the three (with the others being in D&D and C-SPAM), though I haven't read either in over a year. Can anyone confirm/deny?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fun hater posted:

alright now you're just saying things to make people mad

More like Lenny BOOOce

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

I've heard that the GBS one was actually the least "the end is nigh!" one of the three (with the others being in D&D and C-SPAM), though I haven't read either in over a year. Can anyone confirm/deny?

The GBS thread is generally good, and at a glance it looks like it is closed due to a slapfight between posters that occurred while I was asleep.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

earlier in the pandemic, the GBS thread had been extreme doomerism but it appears to have morphed with the times as liberals get vaccinated

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

System Metternich posted:

For a while the D&D one had a constant stream of people who admitted to having anxiety disorders and a tendency to catastrophize asking how long to leave their groceries in the garage before they're safe to eat and copping attitude when it was suggested that might be excessive if they weren't in the very hottest of hot zones. It's better now.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 20:22 on May 4, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The GBS thread is generally good, and at a glance it looks like it is closed due to a slapfight between posters that occurred while I was asleep.

Occasionally someone breaks containment in the thread and just goes off on the full scale doomposting. The last page in the thread pointed out someone who's gone full scale emotional breakdown mode over the pandemic.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am constantly surrounded by unmasked people while I play dodgeperson. I wear an N95. It's been like this since the pandemic started. I'm not fuckin' dead yet.

I am profusely crying while I watch an old disney world fireworks show because look at all the people, listen to the joy in their voices, this is how we used to live.

Mental health is a big deal in pandemics, but that kind of mentality, watching old videos and weeping at at not being able to be outdoors in groups, is something any halfway competent mental health manager would tell you to stop engaging with.

turt is a big lol punchline for the cattle pipe bombs but very early in their doomposting they talked about their therapist basically told them engaging so heavily in apocalyptic climate news and chat was extremely unhealthy for them and to stop, and well, they didn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wish I could have been more concerned about the pandemic. It's hard though when my office is run by chuds that stayed the course of "there's no pandemic"

We had a potluck last week for christs sake

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

Occasionally someone breaks containment in the thread and just goes off on the full scale doomposting. The last page in the thread pointed out someone who's gone full scale emotional breakdown mode over the pandemic.

Eh even still it seemed like at least every page someone would come in and say even if your were fully vaccinated you were practically a murderer if you left your house.

There is certainly a lot of the vaccine isn’t actually a cure and things will still be poo poo yadda yadda yadda.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

shelley posted:

Hondarider promptly went on to post to the angry people offsite where he posted transphobic poo poo, probably racist poo poo too, who knows, the site is dead so good riddance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Even back then it wasn't exactly a new story that psychedelics could help. The actual problem was less the LSD and more the mod in question telling the addict in question that rehab was useless and to just do LSD to quit heroin instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s definitely people who come across as not wanting the pandemic to end so they’ll take the worst read on any of the news. They started as the ones who took “there’s no proof yet the vaccine cuts spread” stuff to “the vaccine still has you spreading the virus” and they’re still mostly clinging to it because of breakthrough cases, which happen with any vaccine.

As for why they don’t want things to end, it’s probably doomscrolling addiction, or having a reason to scold people. There’s definitely a set of people online where the internet has taken the place of something like cutting and the emotional self-harm has become borderline compulsive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I kind of shudder to think how this will change vaccine refusal in general in society. Tons of these people buying into all this vaccine skeptic poo poo are then going to go "rabies? lol never heard of it not giving you another chance to inject 5G nanocells into my children"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There's a part of me that wants to think "well at least it's a self-resolving problem" but even if that's true it hurts a lot of undeserving people along the way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

There's a part of me that wants to think "well at least it's a self-resolving problem" but even if that's true it hurts a lot of undeserving people along the way.

It's going to be a pretty big issue in rural and conservative areas for a long time as their vaccine refusal rates are sky high. My parents in MO got the vaccine as soon as they could, but they were telling me that they saw many small local business putting up signs saying "We Will Not Serve Anyone Wearing A Mask" or those similar "lol dumdums take the masks sheeple" ones you see on social media. They now no longer shop at about 1/2 the places they used because of it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silence_kit posted:

Self-deprecating humor is funny (e.g. Rodney Dangerfield's act), but sometimes goons really get into the self-deprecation, and forget about the humor part, and that is exhausting.

It's generally more there's the implication when people say "goons suck" they mean themselves exluded, obviously.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s definitely people who come across as not wanting the pandemic to end so they’ll take the worst read on any of the news. They started as the ones who took “there’s no proof yet the vaccine cuts spread” stuff to “the vaccine still has you spreading the virus” and they’re still mostly clinging to it because of breakthrough cases, which happen with any vaccine.

As for why they don’t want things to end, it’s probably doomscrolling addiction, or having a reason to scold people. There’s definitely a set of people online where the internet has taken the place of something like cutting and the emotional self-harm has become borderline compulsive.

A common maladaptive coping strategy for anxiety is, rather than fighting the urge to assume calamity at the drop of a hat, to instead lean into it so at least you'll never be disappointed.

There are also a handful of posters who are obviously being malicious and dropping prophesies of doom to freak people out. Some have been probed multiple times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't go into COVID or climate change threads anymore. I peeked into the CSPAM climate change thread a couple weeks ago out of curiosity, read like two pages, and it sent me into a depressive spiral for the rest of the day. I just stay away for my own mental health. Sometimes it feels like I'm putting my head in the sand but at least for right now I want to focus on things I can actually control rather than doom-spiraling about things I can't.

I can be a little more level-headed about COVID, I guess, but it still sucks. My assumption has been for a while now that COVID is here to stay. Not like it is now, necessarily, but like, I'm just assuming that for the rest of my life I'll be getting COVID shots alongside my flu shots and hearing about COVID death numbers alongside flu death numbers. We've just got "the flu but a lot worse" now and the old flu's still there. Maybe that's wrong, maybe I'm even underreacting to it, I really don't know. But I do wonder what the shift from "pandemic" to "endemic" is going to look like.

Harrow has a new favorite as of 21:32 on May 4, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yummers posted:

So true. If you love your car and you worked hard to own it, then cup holders aren't for "cups". Water bottles only in my IS F. Over the weekend, on my way to a tailgater, some douche magouche who I barely know, and who obviously doesn't appreciate nice things, was riding in my back seat and desperately wanted to crack a beer open in my cabin. He even asked a third time after I told him "gently caress! no!" twice (strike 1). And at the tailgater he sat on my bumper (strike 2). Then he pops the lid of a beer bottle with a lighter and splashes beer on my bumper (strike 3). Needless to say he didn't get a ride back home. That classless fool can take the bus next time.

Yummers posted:

Sigh...
I didn't expect a response like that in automotive insanity. Would you let some random character, who is faded on a bender, put on a poo poo-show around your $65,000 car? I know all my friends with high dollar cars think I'm a fool for even considering driving to a sporting event like I did. At any rate, no, I didn't have a heart attack and I didn't blow my lid. I was respectful about telling him to be cool near my car. It was more of a letdown to myself for putting myself in a situation like that. You have to understand this isn't a Toyota Corolla. Minor paint work for an ultrasonic blue IS F typically starts in the low 4 figure range if you want it done right...and I don't need that hassle. Seriously though, who sits on the bumper of a high dollar sports car with a special paint job? I even saw him leaning on her a few times. You don't do that! How is my frustration not understandable?

Yummers posted:

Yeah, I know I was asking for it and you can file it under lesson learned. My car doesn't go anywhere that doesn't have valet or at least a private lot from now on. And again, I completely disagree with anyone who should think it's okay to plant their 200lbs rear end on the bumper of a high dollar car. It's a car with an open trunk to access beer, not a "tailgate". And yeah I agree the beer splash on the bumper was maybe an overreaction even though the beer probably splashed into the trunk too.

Since this is a total derail from the original topic of cup-holders, I guess I should conclude with a car related moral to this story: When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

Here's a change of pace. This guy bragging about their Lexus ending with the phrase "pussy shrapnel" that started with a derail about cupholders :thunk:

Kia Soul Enthusias has a new favorite as of 22:01 on May 4, 2021

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

ZippySLC posted:

OH MY GOD we get it you drive an expensive "high dollar" sports car. Get over it.

There's probably pussy shrapnel because they'd rather detonate themselves then deal with this kind of level of pretentiousness.

lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also don’t miss this excellent dunk.

Muffinpox posted:

Don't worry Yummers, I feel you. When I first learned to drive manual, I borrowed my uncles 2004 C5 Convertible 6 speed. He came and picked me up and told me it was mine for a week. Just mine. All alone with the car and all I needed to do was give him a ride home. He asked me to stop at Starbucks on the way back and was telling me how this car would get me lots of attention from the ladies. As we parked and were getting out he said "You know Muffinpox, I know you're young but the kind of girls who come after you for having something like this aren't the type of girls you want to be in-" and then a deafening roar. The antagonistic screams of a thousand woman shrilled in the background "Oh my god that is so cool!", "Nice car, can we go for a ride with the top down?", "Sweet ride" were chanted over and over. The deafening roars of pussy bombs going off, pussy shrapnel flying everywhere. A piece caught my uncle in the leg and he laid on the ground bleeding out. I jumped through the cabin and surveyed the wound, it was bleeding badly. I jammed my finger into the wound and held the artery shut until I could figure out what to do. "We need to get you in a car and back to a hospital" I told him but all he could do is shake his head and say "No.. no.. this is an expensive car do you know what blood will do to the leather? It might have to be detailed twice." I'll never forget being covered in his blood in the parking lot and his last words to me, "Is the 3M clearbra doing a good job against the pussy shrapnel... this paint is... expensive..."

RIP Uncle David.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I can't go into COVID or climate change threads anymore. I peeked into the CSPAM climate change thread a couple weeks ago out of curiosity, read like two pages, and it sent me into a depressive spiral for the rest of the day. I just stay away for my own mental health. Sometimes it feels like I'm putting my head in the sand but at least for right now I want to focus on things I can actually control rather than doom-spiraling about things I can't.

This is exactly how I feel — I read the CSPAM COVID thread regularly for a few months last year when I was anxious as hell about the pandemic. It made me feel like I had a little control by giving me knowledge, but it fed my anxiety really badly. Unbookmarking the thread and focusing on doing things in real life helped me feel like I had control over something in my life, without causing me to have a nervous breakdown because I had to have dental work done. Maybe some people can enjoy reading those threads, but not me.

Alright anyway. Vintage sagas:

The 9/11 thread.

There’s a well-known goon story that gets passed around called “The American Dream” (the whole thing is reprinted here), but the other day I found out that some of the original threads still exist, so for those who are interested:

American Dream Part 3: Protecting you from water-cooler injuries. (LONG)

American Dream Part 4: Puppies are legal tender for all debts (LONG)

American Dream 5 - "Planetary Models" are the new "Corporate Penis Size"

No idea what happened to the first two threads. (There are links to them in the third thread, but the links don’t work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shelley posted:

This is exactly how I feel — I read the CSPAM COVID thread regularly for a few months last year when I was anxious as hell about the pandemic. It made me feel like I had a little control by giving me knowledge, but it fed my anxiety really badly. Unbookmarking the thread and focusing on doing things in real life helped me feel like I had control over something in my life, without causing me to have a nervous breakdown because I had to have dental work done. Maybe some people can enjoy reading those threads, but not me.

Alright anyway. Vintage sagas:

The 9/11 thread.

There’s a well-known goon story that gets passed around called “The American Dream” (the whole thing is reprinted here), but the other day I found out that some of the original threads still exist, so for those who are interested:

American Dream Part 3: Protecting you from water-cooler injuries. (LONG)

American Dream Part 4: Puppies are legal tender for all debts (LONG)

American Dream 5 - "Planetary Models" are the new "Corporate Penis Size"

No idea what happened to the first two threads. (There are links to them in the third thread, but the links don’t work.)

Is that something that would be able to be dug up on the way back machine or internet archive?