Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So I love Sepinwall and own two of his books, but the fact that Simpsons is number 1 (as it should be) is all but admitting that 90% of this is just him repackaging his previous stuff from "TV: The Book" and that calling it "a project the
@RollingStone TV team's been working on for a while now" is bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the gently caress makes a Best Sitcom list and doesn't even put Dinosaurs on it?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not putting Friends or The Office in the top 10, or even 20, is going to set off White Twitter so at least that should be funny

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find those lists useful in a way where I ignore the actual ranking, and just look at the shows I know. If there's a high percentage of things I like/love and not too many misses, I can then look at the shows I never caught and try those out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cael posted:

So I love Sepinwall and own two of his books, but the fact that Simpsons is number 1 (as it should be) is all but admitting that 90% of this is just him repackaging his previous stuff from "TV: The Book" and that calling it "a project the
@RollingStone TV team's been working on for a while now" is bs.

Hey, hey, it was a team effort, Sepinwall only wrote the preponderance of the blurbs, not all of them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a good list you babies. Would take Parks out of the top 10 and put 30 Rock in personally. Top 3 is perfect

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a good list you babies. Would take Parks out of the top 10 and put 30 Rock in personally. Top 3 is perfect

No it's a bad list and all television sucks

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
MASH would be my number 1, but there is a lot of nostalgia there for me clouding my view

Oh I would have swapped Parks & Rec with The Office. While Parks & Rec is more consistent over it's run, it never reached the highs The Office did (it never had an episode as good as Dinner Party).

Aardvark! posted:

not putting Friends or The Office in the top 10, or even 20, is going to set off White Twitter so at least that should be funny

While I am one of the people who would put The Office in their op 10, I think Friends is one of the most overrated shows. I found it a really annoying show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 4, 2021

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

No Happy Endings smdh

Sumo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 4, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I know Graham Linehan sucks rear end but gently caress is Father Ted not on there

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aardvark! posted:

I'm all for it.

E: The real pro drama move would've been to leave arrested development off the list.

Oasx posted:

The Good Place is at #46 and Better Off Ted isn't even there.

The list sucks.

I quite like The Good Place but people really overstate how good it is. Halfway down a list is just about right.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 4, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Baskets ranked below loving Big Bang Theory, gently caress that list.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why is the Bernie Mac show on this list at all. Bernie Mac was a very funny guy and that show was somehow completely joyless.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved the Bernie Mac Show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drat, no Drew Carey or That 70s Show. Maybe this list is crap.

Also some of these are definitely not sitcoms.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of comedies: to the goon who recommended the show Creamerie in the What We Do In The Shadows Thread. I've watched the three episodes that are out so far and holy gently caress is it good. It's really funny, but it's got a strong plot too. Really, really good. Best comedy debut I've seen since Avenue 5 last year.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Lurdiak posted:

drat, no Drew Carey or That 70s Show. Maybe this list is crap.

Also some of these are definitely not sitcoms.

Every time someone brings it up, I like to note the date That 70's Show would start if it premiered today, which is now Wednesday, January 27, 1999.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Looten Plunder posted:

I know this was a while ago but i just got caught up with the thread.

How so with the unrealistic mechanics? I know there must be some Hollywood liberties taken, but you realise this movie was somewhat based on a real band yeah?

Just you need a wall of sound to pull something like that off and some particular mechanics to be able to sing and shred like that. Riz's drumming is as authentic af.

It's just my opinion, its weird and I'm aware of that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Aardvark! posted:

It'd tight to see Hanging with Mr. Cooper or Sisters on lists like this.

Did Martin make it at least.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Was disgusted to see Night Court so low, but elated to see Cheers at #2

Also, holy moly I loved that Frank's Place show at 99. Haven't thought about it years

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Every time someone brings it up, I like to note the date That 70's Show would start if it premiered today, which is now Wednesday, January 27, 1999.

Did you do the math on the fly yourself, or is there a handy website I can reference that updates every day?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I don't think this was posted earlier, but the showrunners for HBO's Perry Mason have moved on, and they have been replaced by the co-creators (and writers) of The Knick.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/hbo-perry-mason-new-showrunners-season-2-4172107/

I know Soderbergh gets all the credit for directing The Knick, but I hope this is an upgrade in the writing department that turns Perry Mason into a great show (I thought it was season 1 was good, but I wouldn't call it great).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hopefully it's just 8 episodes of Shea Whigham swaggering around in a flatcap and looking askance at things

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah yeah, we're all dustifying skeletons. But it was a good show (until Donna dyed her loving hair).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

oh jay posted:

Did you do the math on the fly yourself, or is there a handy website I can reference that updates every day?

Whatever google tells me is 8133 days ago!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Whatever google tells me is 8133 days ago!

8133 seems like a number I could memorize if I cared just a little more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I refuse to memorize any numbers bigger than the largest number: 24.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I refuse to memorize any numbers bigger than the largest number: 24.

I watched basically all of Mr Show again this weekend. God drat that’s a good show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Who the gently caress makes a Best Sitcom list and doesn't even put Dinosaurs on it?

I watched a pretty good retrospective about Dinosaurs the other day and a sad note is that none of the costumes exist anymore and in fact they were so fragile they barely outlasted the series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

I watched a pretty good retrospective about Dinosaurs the other day and a sad note is that none of the costumes exist anymore and in fact they were so fragile they barely outlasted the series.

There are semi-recent photos of the suits that the Jim Henson Creature Shop built for the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie back in 1990. They, uh, have had a hard life. Foam latex doesn't age very well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

There are semi-recent photos of the suits that the Jim Henson Creature Shop built for the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie back in 1990. They, uh, have had a hard life. Foam latex doesn't age very well.

Hoggle's had it pretty rough, too:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hope they incinerated whatever it was they used for Fuzzbucket in that 80’s TV movie because that thing was horrifying even without the ravages of time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched basically all of Mr Show again this weekend. God drat that’s a good show.

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1384972095373914119

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Hoggle's had it pretty rough, too:

Don't worry, they restored him perfectly!

http://www.sowatzka.com/content/gary-restores-hoggle

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite "Bob yelling" bits is from the complaint sketch where he goes on a convoluted rant about garbage and then ends it with telling the person filming to get out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of my favorite "Bob yelling" bits is from the complaint sketch where he goes on a convoluted rant about garbage and then ends it with telling the person filming to get out.

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1384972295962300424

"the place for trash is in the gutter notmymind"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1384972295962300424

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Show would be an insanely innovative sketch show if it came out today, much less 1995.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Timby posted:

Michelangelo has been in American History Museum in DC for years. My kid took a photo of it that always makes me crack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read that whole thread and there was no "I am King poo poo of gently caress Mountain, why would you gently caress with me?" so that's a failure.