Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah these seem like debug codes not meant to be used by anybody but Zun but why remove them when the conditions are so obscure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
AoCF now on Switch and PS4 (JP)
https://twitter.com/FiftyFourSounds/status/1385032308332191745

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, the codes are 100% gamedev bullshit left in. I love stuff like this cause you can really pick up the personality of the programmers leave on their work, which is not something you pick up a lot in games directly like you can with writing, music, art. This is kind of a moot point for Touhou though, for obvious reasons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm curious if the Double Spoiler code doesn't exist or just hasn't been found yet

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

blossommirage posted:

Yeah, the codes are 100% gamedev bullshit left in. I love stuff like this cause you can really pick up the personality of the programmers leave on their work, which is not something you pick up a lot in games directly like you can with writing, music, art. This is kind of a moot point for Touhou though, for obvious reasons.

tbf a lot of cheat codes are really this. like the Konami code originally existing just so the devs could actually reasonably test Contra

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Apparently it has the same English translation as the Steam version, and they fixed the "beef tongue" thing at least.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

https://touhougarakuta.com/news/210423a/
For the two people who still care, lost word's global release is coming may 11th. Touhou garakuta dropped the news first which is kinda funny.

Japan gets everything first, even the release date!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/moiwool/status/1385980234986491910?s=19

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

that's a loving cute urufu

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another one:
https://twitter.com/CyrusWVorazan/status/1384854596175204353

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lotus Eater 17

Is it just me or has Aya gradually become the most villainous character in the series?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
This actually ties in with Alternative Facts, right? Aya, having rediscovered who she wants to be professionally, feels like the right thing to do is to publish an honest article, even if it might drive a business she frequents bankrupt.

It’s funny that she has all these prejudices against Buddhists, though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Clarste posted:

Is it just me or has Aya gradually become the most villainous character in the series?

I think it's good that Byakuren got slandered, actually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m glad that even if Aya is taking her job seriously these days she’s still a huge jerk about it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Touhou 18 out now https://store.steampowered.com/app/1566410/Touhou_Kouryudou__Unconnected_Marketeers/

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

New final boss looking wild

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Wait gently caress it's usually August. What a pleasant surprise.

....Is the EX boss taking the piss out of crypto lmfao

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Where are pictures of the new girls

Can clownpiece be dethroned

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

Where are pictures of the new girls

Can clownpiece be dethroned

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thanks man

Fox girl new waifu

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Good crop of touhous

I think these are ZUN's best hands yet and I say that looking at the incredibly cursed downward poitning finger of the....final boss, I assume?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Four Tengus.

When you gonna stop holding out on the fourth Oni, ZUN my man

or just confirming Konngara

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

the final boss looks like windows 2000 tan

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I can't believe the unconnected marketeers are in fact, connected.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Pretty sure all the ability card art was done by his wife which is cute

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wrote some basic summaries of the characters, so I might as well post them here:

Misumaru Tamatsukuri. Stage 4 boss. She's a god who makes magatama. Magatama have the power to read and copy information from people, and are related to how the cards are made. She's not the one making them though: she just noticed that someone else was mining Dragon Gems (which you need to make magatama) and got really worried because she knows how dangerous that is. She fights the players to stop them from going deeper into the mines, which are filled with poisonous gas and also have no oxygen. They actually do leave after stage 4, which is kind of funny.

Megumu Iizunamaru. Stage 5 boss. She goes by her surname Iizunamaru, like Murasa. She's a daitengu and leader of the crow tengu (implied that she is also a crow, she's just also in the position of daitengu). IE: she is Aya's boss. She's the one behind this whole plan, and has no motives other than making profit for the good of tengu society. She gives up easily and throws her partner (the last boss) under the bus since she's no longer necessary and she already got everything she wanted. In Sanae's ending she and Kanako have a conversation that is entirely business buzzwords with no content.

Tsukasa Kudamaki. Stage 5 midboss (and stage 6 midboss, and extra midboss). She's Iizunamaru's trusted right-hand woman, although she probably shouldn't be trusted since she has zero loyalty to anyone and is actively playing everyone against each other. She's secretly a tube fox, which as we saw in WaHH bring profits but at a great price. This whole plan was her suggestion in the first place.

Chimata Tenkyu. The final boss. God of the marketplace. Specifically, she has power over (and derives power from) people "losing possession of things." Apparently this is harder than it sounds, because even if you throw something in the trash or bury it in the woods, it's still "yours" in some spiritual and mental sense. The only way to lose possession of something is to voluntarily sell it to someone else, in the market. So her goal is just to open up the market and draw power from that as a god. Obviously she's the one who made all the rules about how cards can be traded. Apparently she expected to be betrayed by Iizunamaru and viewed their relationship as both parties using the other. Some people are saying maybe she's a metaphor for Comiket. The God of Comiket.

Momoyo Himemushi. Extra boss. She's a giant centipede youkai, the most fearsome and powerful of all youkai, dwarfing even dragons. A dragon eater. Her true form is hideous and poisonous and, well, no one likes her. She's the one digging up the mountain and created the mine. And also why it's full of poisonous gas. The players can't go back into the mine until they get a magic item that lets them not breathe. She's an old friend of Iizunamaru, who gave her a job mining Dragon Gems. In return, she gets to take some of the gems herself and eat them (Dragon Gems being close enough to dragons, apparently). So she's super powerful, incredibly toxic, and eats rocks. Her profile jokes about her eating dragon stones instead of eating Iizunamaru (whose given name Megumu is written as "Dragon").

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 3, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Each and every one of those characters sounds amazing, zun knocks another one out of the park

I can easily see how the extra boss could be read as a cryptocurrency joke in the same way Free Market touhou can be comiket tbh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally I would like to emphasize that there are no dragons in this game, just someone named Dragon.

Corn Syrup
Feb 6, 2006
Thanks for the character summaries! This cast sounds so much more fun than WBaWC's.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Youkai Mountain is just full of capitalists. You hate to see it.

Corn Syrup posted:

Thanks for the character summaries! This cast sounds so much more fun than WBaWC's.

They seem cool but how could you not love the Yakuza goasts?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A terrifying godbeast at the bottom of a midgame dungeon that you could only halfway explore because the back half instantly kills you?

Himemushi is channeling the JRPG superboss like no EX before her.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Corn Syrup posted:

Hey buddy nothing can be more fun than Miko's cowboy mafia pegasus.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'll update the OP eventually with the new game stuff.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
want that ice fairy card

theshim fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 4, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Sounds fun, the bit about Sanae's ending is pretty cute.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Those are good Touhous. I like the Final Boss' multicolor abomination of a dress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mdct posted:

I'll update the OP eventually with the new game stuff.

i dont envy your job

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

touhou where everything is exactly the same except if a touhou is meant to represent like an animal or whatever they just look like that

whatever dumb &/or haughty bullshit the extra boss talks about but she also is just really a giant killer centipede

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

rannum posted:

touhou where everything is exactly the same except if a touhou is meant to represent like an animal or whatever they just look like that

whatever dumb &/or haughty bullshit the extra boss talks about but she also is just really a giant killer centipede

For the record the extra boss is a dumbass. She has no idea what's going on other than that Iizunamaru is paying her to dig up rocks.