Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TrixRabbi posted:

The Justice League debacle basically proved to me that I respect Zack Snyder as an artist with a vision and that I also absolutely hate his films.

Like, that's the thing that I'm talking about though! He makes choices, he has a personal aesthetic, he focuses on specific themes and makes personal movies. And it creates personal reactions within the audience. I wish we had way more Snyders out there given the free reign to do what they want to do because inevitably some of them would connect with me. George Miller is a good example of someone doing big action movies with distinguished voice I love but he's also in his late years and isn't exactly churning them out one after the other.

I wonder if there's someone out there who loving hates George Miller's movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The wb suits who sued him after making fury road probably hate his movies because he made them look like greedy short-sighted buffoons.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Did anybody watch the ESPN Marvel-themed NBA broadcast last night? It was pretty grim:

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1389647045502324738?s=21

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I think this would only really happen if he did a Star War or a comic book thing or a video game adaptation people didn't like. I am struggling to think of a bad director that people hate simply because they make bad movies, not because they are bad people outside of their movies or "ruined my childhood" y'know

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy A. Person posted:

I think this would only really happen if he did a Star War or a comic book thing or a video game adaptation people didn't like. I am struggling to think of a bad director that people hate simply because they make bad movies, not because they are bad people outside of their movies or "ruined my childhood" y'know

Uwe Boll?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

Uwe Boll?

Gurinder Chadha. Chicken soup is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and we sold a film of hers called It's A Wonderful Afterlife that distributors literally got angry at us for delivering to them.

I also think Tom Hooper is a terrible director. Les Miserables was unwatchable. The Danish Girl was dreadful. I could not bear to watch Cats.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TrixRabbi posted:

The Bi Gan film? Yeah it’s really good.

Your complaints about blocking made me think of it, specifically, I don’t think the situation is as dire either relatively or absolutely as you make it sound though. There’s always been a lot of tossed off garbage, and there are a lot of well realized and distinctive movies coming out now. I don’t think there was ever a golden age to have lost

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy A. Person posted:

Imagine Fury Road came out in '85 and Beyond Thunderdome came out in '15.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

Your complaints about blocking made me think of it, specifically, I don’t think the situation is as dire either relatively or absolutely as you make it sound though. There’s always been a lot of tossed off garbage, and there are a lot of well realized and distinctive movies coming out now. I don’t think there was ever a golden age to have lost

The thing is, it's only happening in indies and foreign films. where before you have plenty of examples in mainstream block busters.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
With the success of the MCU and Disney buying everything, it doesn't make that much sense financially for executives to give directors as much freedom on big budget blockbusters.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Uwe Boll?

Haha he and Paul WS were why I included video games although tbf I guess the video game movies Boll is making aren't of especially beloved properties (although in my experience he seems like a guy people mostly mock like Tommy Wiseau, except that he's totally belligerent to his detractors which kind of circles around to "a dick outside of their movies")

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Gurinder Chadha. Chicken soup is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and we sold a film of hers called It's A Wonderful Afterlife that distributors literally got angry at us for delivering to them.

I also think Tom Hooper is a terrible director. Les Miserables was unwatchable. The Danish Girl was dreadful. I could not bear to watch Cats.

idk what Chicken Soup is but Afterlife was awful yeah. I like Bend It Like Beckham though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

idk what Chicken Soup is but Afterlife was awful yeah. I like Bend It Like Beckham though

Chicken Soup is so aggressively mediocre that it becomes utterly dreadful. It’s a terrible, terrible film. Bereft of any redeeming features.

Bend It was decent.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Escobarbarian posted:

I know a modern blockbuster with fantastic visual storytelling but people get very angry about it when you bring it up

it’s called Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Ok, I’ll bite: what exactly is the fantastic visual storytelling on display in rian johnson’s star wars: the last jedi

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is funny

https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/1389210327548456967?s=08

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did anybody watch the ESPN Marvel-themed NBA broadcast last night? It was pretty grim:

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1389647045502324738?s=21

"This year Disney is going to make it mandatory for all Americans to have the mouse logo tattooed onto the back of your eyelids and you pay us a royalty every time you blink. But if you subscribe to Disney + Mega Platinum you'll only pay a yearly fee of 20,000 dollars and get unlimited streaming of all the MCU movies! Sign up now, because you don't have any choice."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just :lol: if your mom hasn't already sent that to you

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ok, I’ll bite: what exactly is the fantastic visual storytelling on display in rian johnson’s star wars: the last jedi

Took the bait, you did. Begun, the derail has hmmmm

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

More like RUIN Johnson, am I right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Just :lol: if your mom hasn't already sent that to you

Other way around: I just sent it to her!
It is delightful though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

The thing is, it's only happening in indies and foreign films. where before you have plenty of examples in mainstream block busters.

Yeah. Like even mainstream Chinese audiences found Long Day’s Journey Into Night a confounding art film and even fewer Americans saw it. I’m very much trying to focus this issue on Hollywood. Cause like Portrait of a Lady on Fire was also phenomenal but that’s French as hell.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lurdiak posted:

Point out to film twitter that he's responsible for the 'Mel Gibson gets revenge' genre and he'll be a confirmed misogynist in a week

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy A. Person posted:

I loving hate Mike Flangan's directing style and dislike James Wan's and it has nothing to do with either adapting material badly (although they did end up adapting some stuff down the line). I feel like you can be a divisive/obnoxious director even without touching the nerd poop.

Blood Boils posted:

Point out to film twitter that he's responsible for the 'Mel Gibson gets revenge' genre and he'll be a confirmed misogynist in a week

What the gently caress part of twitter do you hang out on, cuz the film twitter I know bends over backwards to defend shitheads (and the star wars prequels).

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 5, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

Like even mainstream Chinese audiences found Long Day’s Journey Into Night a confounding art film
I still think the story of how that happened was hilarious

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
You wanna know what rips? GI Joe Rise of the Cobra. Stephen Sommers is a magic man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like it. But I like Sommers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I loving hate Mike Flangan's directing style and dislike James Wan's and it has nothing to do with either adapting material badly (although they did end up adapting some stuff down the line). I feel like you can be a divisive/obnoxious director even without touching the nerd poop.

That’s fair too, I guess when I think “hate” I think of the more active crusading against a director, rather than just not liking/avoiding someone’s style or work.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like it. But I like Sommers.

I didn't like it. In fact I really disliked it. Up until the first fight between white ninja and black ninja, when white ninja does a sword block and says "hello brother" and then it cuts to a literally 2-second-long flashback of them fighting as children in the same costumes. Then it all clicked for me. I allowed myself to have fun with it. And I loved it! Maybe give it a second chance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have. I’m a huge SS fan. Like I realized over the past few years he’s actually one of my favorite and low key inspirational directors in my life. But things like that is what kinda kills me for Joe.

It doesn’t have the Sommers spark that his other work does, even stuff I don’t like much like Van Helsing. It’s also too much like a bad Michael bay knock off. I dunno.

I hope we get another classic big Sommers action movie again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’m a huge SS fan.

Probably a better way to phrase that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I figured someone would snag that. Lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help there's a lot of things that could stand for.

I did see the mountain climbing Snake Eyes action sequence on its own and that was actually pretty amazing. Shockingly coherent as Hollywood action sequences go.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fully vaxxed and feelin' fine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My partner likes Mummy, Mummy 2 and Van Helsing, I like Mummy, Mummy 2 and Rise of Cobra. It's important to have things in common and things apart!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
TIL that GI Joe 2 and Van Helsing were directed by the same guy. Makes a ton of sense.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

My partner likes Mummy, Mummy 2 and Van Helsing, I like Mummy, Mummy 2 and Rise of Cobra. It's important to have things in common and things apart!

I was kinda bummed to put on The Mummy on again recently, and have it just not live up to my memories. Fun movie, and Brendan Fraiser owns, but I could not escape the feeling that the version I had dreamed up in my head from watching the movie as a kid was a way more frightening movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Might be a (marginal) age thing, I never thought of it as anything other than a pulpy Indiana Jones riff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

TIL that GI Joe 2 and Van Helsing were directed by the same guy. Makes a ton of sense.

They were not. GI Joe 2 was directed by Jon M. Chu.

The snake eyes mountain scene is from 2.

GI Joe 1 which Sommers directed killed his big budget career.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't seen all his movies but The Mummy is the only Sommers movie I've seen I'd recommend to someone else with a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deep Rising rules, so does The Mummy Returns, but less so. And Odd Thomas is pretty good, but not in the same giant film wheelhouse.

I think he had some of the better quippy heroes out there.