Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Returnal has dev command cheats enabled by default, you just need to plug in a usb keyboard to your PS5 https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n4k91a/returnal_dev_cheatscodes_need_keyboard/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Biome 3 down HUUWRRRRAAGH I FEEL MIGHTY

As for the next bit lol that’s a twist I should’ve seen coming. Makes sense at least!

Fake edit: wait what the hell is going on

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I wish I was better at this game.

The grind of redoing biome 1 to get strong enough to even attempt 2/3 is getting to me, especially when I end up doing a lot of backtracking to the ship to heal to full when possible. The gameplay loop of avoiding healing to get resins isn't great for the morale. :sigh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aidan_702 posted:

Biome 3 down HUUWRRRRAAGH I FEEL MIGHTY

As for the next bit lol that’s a twist I should’ve seen coming. Makes sense at least!

Fake edit: wait what the hell is going on

:yeshaha:

I said come in! posted:

Returnal has dev command cheats enabled by default, you just need to plug in a usb keyboard to your PS5 https://www.reddit.com/r/Returnal/comments/n4k91a/returnal_dev_cheatscodes_need_keyboard/

Welp that's awkward. Especially if using a cheat doesn't disable trophies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thundarr posted:

:yeshaha:

Welp that's awkward. Especially if using a cheat doesn't disable trophies.

I would love for cheats to be available in more single player only games, especially if they disable trophies. I wonder if there are any other dev cheats that haven't been discovered yet.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Reached boss 3 for the first time.

I need a break.

(By the way, how do you deal with those hulking giants? Their turret is impossible to dodge, and there's not much downtime before they wind up again. And then there were TWO of them. I went from 3 heals to 0 before I decided "gently caress it, area's not even locked down, lets get outta here")

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Attestant posted:

The grind of redoing biome 1 to get strong enough to even attempt 2/3 is getting to me, especially when I end up doing a lot of backtracking to the ship to heal to full when possible. The gameplay loop of avoiding healing to get resins isn't great for the morale. :sigh:

I don’t think you’re supposed to grind 1 to go do 2, the huge proficiency boost right at the door and the shortcut unlocking both seem like pretty massive indicators to me that you should just sprint to Biome 2 and hope for a gun in your first 2-3 rooms.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think you’re supposed to grind 1 to go do 2, the huge proficiency boost right at the door and the shortcut unlocking both seem like pretty massive indicators to me that you should just sprint to Biome 2 and hope for a gun in your first 2-3 rooms.

Biome 1 has a guaranteed large heal in the constructor, and also most likely the astronaut. Those are almost essential for weaker players. In contrast, there is only a small heal in the Biome 2 shop.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ymgve posted:

(By the way, how do you deal with those hulking giants? Their turret is impossible to dodge, and there's not much downtime before they wind up again. And then there were TWO of them. I went from 3 heals to 0 before I decided "gently caress it, area's not even locked down, lets get outta here")

They have a harder time tracking you if you're close since they can't turn quickly. So stay close and strafe around them, and jump over or dodge laterally through their gunfire when it gets near. They might jump at you but that's telegraphed clearly enough to dodge away in time.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Biome 4 boss done!! I want to keep going but need to stop soon because this is a lot of pressure on my heart

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I would love for cheats to be available in more single player only games, especially if they disable trophies. I wonder if there are any other dev cheats that haven't been discovered yet.

Oh for sure. It's kind of embarrassing to forget to turn off dev tools in the public release build of a big in-house studio game though.

Bust Rodd posted:

Going through the earlier biomes rather than directly to the latest one is more opportunities for resins and artifacts, assuming you're willing to accept the risk that you might only find trash and waste time / get bodied for minimal progress. Jumping directly to the one you intend to play us perfectly valid though.

Sure it took me hours to get back to boss 3 on a re-run and I had to destroy a couple artifacts because I had too many, but I obliterated that guy when I finished climbing the tower.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Aidan_702 posted:

Biome 4 boss done!! I want to keep going but need to stop soon because this is a lot of pressure on my heart

Man that is over of the coolest fights. The build up and the actual encounter are both so amazing. Some of the scout logs afterwards are amazing as well!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Speaking of logs, be sure to check out your ship's log after you get to biome 4 :stare:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

acksplode posted:

Speaking of logs, be sure to check out your ship's log after you get to biome 4 :stare:

Read that just as I brought them up :stare:

Also can someone explain how when staring biome 4 & 5 i was using the hollowslayer and quite often when shooting a purple orb would appear behind me and shoot at enemies? I had it during the biome 4 boss and thought it was something to avoid and for a while after. I thought it was the game trying to keep me moving till I realised it was helping.

Oh another question - how tf do I get back to biomes 1 - 3?

This game owns. I love how weird it is.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Also can someone explain how when staring biome 4 & 5 i was using the hollowslayer and quite often when shooting a purple orb would appear behind me and shoot at enemies? I had it during the biome 4 boss and thought it was something to avoid and for a while after. I thought it was the game trying to keep me moving till I realised it was helping.

It's a weapon trait, you can see it in the equipment menu

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aidan_702 posted:

Until you beat the game you can't.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is on my GOTY list, easily

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Oh God, my run in Biome 5 has 2/3 keys and I had a sliver of health heading into the third area. Playing super-cautiously netted me most of my health bar back, and then in the room right before what I presume will be a super-sentient, it gave me an astronaut figure on a fabricator. I had to put it in rest mode, but let's see how bad I gently caress this up.

Aidan_702 posted:

Read that just as I brought them up :stare:

Part 1: [Yeah, the trait in question is "Portal Beam." I really hate how it looks exactly like the enemy beams though—very bad if you're in a busy fight. Actually it's weird how they color your effects in red in general.[/spoiler

Part 2: [spoiler]You might have seen something in your ship log about something suspicious in the cargo hold. Unfortunately, you can't access it until you roll the credits, apparently.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Attestant posted:

I feel you. With biome 1, if I'm at full health, I often sprint directly for the health to pick it up for the boost before I fight stuff, then clear the room, and when I go into the next room I kill the stuff; if there's health, I pick it up if I'm at full still, or backtrack to heal (or if I'm 1 heal away from full, I'll just eat it and pick it up). Also the ship sleep should heal you to FULL. Friggin annoying to leave and enter the ship multiple times to heal up, and one of the few instances of the game wasting my time.

ymgve posted:

Reached boss 3 for the first time.

I need a break.

Always try to get in one melee to stun them, which lets you hit their head weak spot a good amount with hopefully your alt fire. Liberal use of cover to hide behind or kite them. If necessary, hide until alt is charged again. Their pounce is pretty easy to exploit by jumping and then melee'ing, and I'm not sure if there's a trick to triggering it or not, as they seemed to do it when I was in closer proximity. Of course, the one challenge room I was in, it had that guy, plus a bunch of poo poo in the air (I don't even know what it was) firing missile barrages at me constantly and I died :( Also I was like "hmm so this is the Returnal cyberdemon" lul.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 4, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I always get to the point where I think I'm finally going to own this big scary jumper without taking any damage and it'll be great. And every single time they have one last wave of trash buddies show up to distract me at exactly the wrong moment and I get drop kicked in the face.

A Titanops, two tree guys, and some bats or shielded turrets is a way nastier fight than any boss in the game. And every biome after the first has even nastier heavies that can get mixed up together.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

They're going to patch the game again tomorrow:

Turn off auto updates if you want to save your run.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Unlucky7 posted:

If you got a good pair of headphones for it (I had a few that I switched between), the 3D audio is kind of amazing in this game.

I really don't know why this game doesnt take advantage of atmos or something for home theater.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I really don't know why this game doesnt take advantage of atmos or something for home theater.

The PS5 doesn't support Atmos, does it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Serrated rounds really brings the Hollowseeker from total turd to absolute beast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Serrated rounds really brings the Hollowseeker from total turd to absolute beast.

all the guns benefit tremendously from most of their upgrades (with rare exceptions like Wide Maw), but the seeker's are hilarious in that half of them amount to "MORE PROJECTILES, ALL AT ONCE, FOREVER"

the only comparable one might be the pistol, which can go from "a pistol, in the nature of a pistol" to a miniature howitzer that fires homing missile salvos while its bullets zip and swarm through enemies' flesh like angry hornets

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Even stock Hollowseeker is great since all those hits make it easy to stagger small enemies. Serrated does make it incredibly good though.

Oxxidation posted:

all the guns benefit tremendously from most of their upgrades (with rare exceptions like Wide Maw), but the seeker's are hilarious in that half of them amount to "MORE PROJECTILES, ALL AT ONCE, FOREVER"

the only comparable one might be the pistol, which can go from "a pistol, in the nature of a pistol" to a miniature howitzer that fires homing missile salvos while its bullets zip and swarm through enemies' flesh like angry hornets

I should probably spenda run or two focusing on the pistol to get its traits unlocked rather than ignoring it for flashier weapons.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got a really perked up hollowseeker which put up TWO turrets, one goes pewpewpew and the other fires the beam, made clearing rooms pretty hilarious. Eventually I stopped worrying about the weapon level and mostly pay attention to the perks. Hollowseeeker with serrated and portal beam can carry you all the way

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Got to the top of the tower and made the delightful choice of putting down my serrated/wave hollowseeker for a slightly higher damage version of the weapon without the same perks. Also grabbed a chest right before the boss and ate an integrity loss malfunction, with no way to fix it left on the level.

Still got to the third phase, but am absolutely kicking myself.

That fight is horrifying.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Just got this game and got to the first boss (who I actually got down to his last bar on my first try so I'm feeling good). I don't know if I'll eventually get tired of it but goddamn this is a fun game so far. Really really good.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Got Biome 2 boss on my first try with a Serrated Hollowseeker and feel like a badass. Biome 3 opens up, I get the launcher almost immediately and die to my first elite shortly thereafter. Don't give a poo poo though, because now I have a grapple.

This game is fantastic. People say this game has no difficulty levels, but the aim assist setting is basically easy/medium/hard

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I am probably close to 15 hours and not a single bug except this crazy ear blasting audio bug during the daily challenge today.

Got that last night in the middle of a really intense challenge room fight and almost jumped out of my loving chair.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 4, 2021

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
How the heck am I supposed to kill the last biome's mini-boss? The one just right as you're tasked with crossing the gap.

3 attempts and I haven't put more than 10% of his health bar down.

FWIW though, the third time I was all "okay I guess I'll use the weapon they plop down right there," but I had a malfunction that prevented me from switching weapons :shepface:

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Ran into another really fun bug. I guess the Playstation 3D audio glitched out cause all the sounds got really low and distorted before culminating in a screech that persisted. The game was still running fine but the audio was completely unsalvagable. Game is great but Jesus the bugs are pretty game breaking sometimes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Likewise phasing and serrated is legal cheats

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

f#a# posted:

How the heck am I supposed to kill the last biome's mini-boss? The one just right as you're tasked with crossing the gap.

FWIW though, the third time I was all "okay I guess I'll use the weapon they plop down right there," but I had a malfunction that prevented me from switching weapons :shepface:

Malformed Typhonops? That guy is an absolute mother fucker and I was hanging on by a thread with two fresh malfunctions and a destroyed artifact or two by the time he was dead. All I can really suggest is make sure you have healing items on hand by the time you get to him.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I beat the 2nd boss and started to tilt because I was tired and knew I wanted to play a different ps5 game. So I was at a sliver of health and picked up some bad parasites to pop the trophy... 2x increase the cooldown of dash. Then I found some health and a baller gun and well long story short I died to the third boss at 10% hp left of his third bar. Bummer.

I will corroborate what other goons have said: 2nd and 3rd biomes are easier than 1. The teleporting plant guys are still the worst.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

f#a# posted:

I had effortlessly genocided everything across multiple biomes with a serrated hollowseeker and this thing just stopped me dead in my tracks. Holy moly

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
melee the plant guys to stun them. Same thing works for the red dire wolf things in Biome 1. A single melee puts them on their side, exposing their bellies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by the time i encounter the typhonops i'm able to burn him down without thinking about strategy, which is helpful when dealing with an enemy that can shear off 3/4's of your lifebar with its pinky nail

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you let the plant guys shield (happens around half health) and don't kill them they get a much more dangerous attack.

When you see them shield the game is telling you "go melee them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

The plant guys are very vulnerable to headshot staggering. A clip into their dome and a couple hanso katana slashes and they are down for the count.