Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

lmao Number is that kid with powers from Twilight Zone and we're all his terrified parents constantly trying to placate him.
Who is this we?

I want to see number bleed :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so if we don't have marginal tax rates we have what exactly? everyone just pays a percent based on total income?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

Who is this we?

ssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NUMBER will HEAR YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I love number!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

actionjackson posted:

so if we don't have marginal tax rates we have what exactly? everyone just pays a percent based on total income?

If you aren't big enough to build complex financial structures to conceal and obfuscate your wealth then you pay taxes or you go to jail.

If you have those things, you don't really pay taxes. P simple really kinda like how in the medieval era often times one of the perks of being nobility or clergy was that you didn't pay tax.

Lostconfused posted:

Who is this we?

let it burn

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

actionjackson posted:

the rich pay gifts to the state if they feel like it (they don’t)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PawParole posted:

I love number!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Press the button

Blow up the economy

It was not made for us

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Stocks closed in the green, albeit only double digits higher after being down over 200 points.

This thread prays for the doomsday but never happens. Wallstreet bets has more reliable information than this thread rofl

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nice and hot piss posted:

Stocks closed in the green, albeit only double digits higher after being down over 200 points.

This thread prays for the doomsday but never happens. Wallstreet vets has more reliable information than this thread rofl

This time is different!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Zodium posted:

this stuff gets taught in late primary ed. like, cognitive neuroscience is hard deterministic unless you wanna count fringe theories about quantum brains. advertising rests on the deterministic idea that if you can figure out the right inputs, you can control the outcomes. it's not incredibly rare at all, and many people believe some form of "free will doesn't exist" or "free will is an incoherent/unscientific concept."

imo the lack of a coherent theory of free will is the best evidence that it exists

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I can't miss having free will if I never had it anyway.

I can miss having a motherfucking beer though. I sometimes run out of those.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

This thread prays for the doomsday but never happens. Wallstreet bets has more reliable information than this thread rofl

tbf this is literally everyone who predicts something that by its nature doesn't happen a bunch of times, until it happens, but that thing happening one time is really bad.

It's not as much of a big brain poster move as you think it is to point that out. It will happen, and always has, the cool part this time is that we're going to print unlimited money and not raise interest rates until... well, we don't know, because it's an incredibly irresponsible social experiment with huge ramifications if we don't thread the needle.

At this point the market specifically tanking seems less likely than the market going effectively infinite while the average quality of life for the bottom 80% of society collapses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's a school of compatibilism that goes, more or less:

because there is clearly something going on with me beyond mere facticity (in the sense of "properties that can be grasped and described using language"), i.e. my immediate consciousness in the moment (i can think that i'm thinking, but then i'm thinking that i'm thinking that i'm thinking etc - the act of thinking will always be one step ahead of its percetion as a fact), this something must be taken seriously. when i think to describe someone else as pure facticity, i'm employing something not reducible to facticity to do this, which is clearly contradictory; within this momentary consciousness, you have what must be considered will. it may be technically determined, but that's a level of technicality which isn't really constructive to think about. this consciousness is also self-reflective and self-critical; it shifts and changes according to itself and its encounter with the world.

then they usually start talking about phenomenology and hermeneutics and before you know it they're ranting about transcendental egos in german

this could help account for the empirical observation that advertising seems less effective than its proponents and the great pessimists had hoped. at any rate, i normally find free-will arguments pretty tedious on their own since you can't often do anything with them and it usually ends up being a semantic discussion as to what constitutes "will" and what it means for that will to be "free"

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I called for all time highs this morning; number did not see fit to fulfill this prophecy but I dare not question its wisdom.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

there is no free will. it has all been priced in.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invest in Microsoft, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oow8bP37v3k

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

lmao Number is that kid with powers from Twilight Zone and we're all his terrified parents constantly trying to placate him.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

yeah I know that photoshop filter too; good job microsoft

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah I said this all day you dumb gently caress

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This isn't a thread for stock tips it's a thread for number.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cool av posted:

yeah I know that photoshop filter too; good job microsoft

1 billion dollars please.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

at any rate, i normally find free-will arguments pretty tedious on their own since you can't often do anything with them and it usually ends up being a semantic discussion as to what constitutes "will" and what it means for that will to be "free"

big same. i wasn't even really making a point about free will, just that hard determinism is a pretty common position on it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'll be wrong, but tesla is going to get hosed up tomorrow.

Or rip 20% upwards.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1389643495632162816?s=19

If tesla explodes the ARKK explodes

animist
Aug 28, 2018
lumber go up

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Not a Children posted:

lol prevent the market from overheating lumber is 4x what it was last year and houses are going up double digit percentages a month

I saw some beavers driving a bentley yesterday

solidarityforever
May 11, 2020

I will never jeopardize the beans

human garbage bag posted:

everyone pls stop buying houses lumber gpus and corn!

Look, I need the lumber GPUs for my server farm and coal plant to farm crypto. Surely nothing will go wrong if I overclock the GPUs.

Now excuse me, for unrelated reasons, there's a major fire at my server farm.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Checked my 401k for the first time in 6 months and it apparently increased at a rate of 9 percent this quarter. Wtf is this wconomy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol how is this better than eyes

no wonder us soilders fear teenage afghan shepherds with ak47s

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

he was speaking in tongues and glowing, I swear!!!

what? No, I don't speak Pashto

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they already priced the bad news in. this is the worst the market can be by definition

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my index fund is up 51% in the last year lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is no collapse, only increases in wealth and majesty. stop being pur

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

animist posted:

lumber go up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5QT7GGpmTE&t=23s

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I saw some beavers driving a bentley yesterday

I believe they’re called cougars

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Easier to kill if it is harder to see the enemy as people.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Not a Children posted:

lol prevent the market from overheating lumber is 4x what it was last year and houses are going up double digit percentages a month

5x try to keep up!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shageletic posted:

Checked my 401k for the first time in 6 months and it apparently increased at a rate of 9 percent this quarter. Wtf is this wconomy

yeah uh this is some crazy shizz

Mad Wack has issued a correction as of 00:18 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Edit: no more heresy, goodbye vile corruption

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 00:25 on May 5, 2021