Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LibCrusher posted:

I maintain that hellfires are a dogshit choice for air defense. They are too fat, too slow, and can’t maneuver enough. Their WEZ is not appropriate for surface to air. The sooner they replace them with something like a beefed up stinger the better.

I agree about hellfire being comparatively slow and having short legs for a modern, medium range air defense missile. But it's very cheap, extremely accurate, and has plenty of energy/range to be extremely dangerous for a nice big chunk of the air threats out there. A fire-and-forget millimeter wave AESA RADAR guided hellfire is going to be an extremely capable missile for hitting something like low altitude attack helicopters or mid-size recon/loitering munition drones.

But yeah, hellfire is not a good choice at all for fixed wing fast movers, missiles, tiny drones, or the big high altitude combat or recon drones. Which is probably why this system is modular and meant to incorporate a nasty directed energy component and some more capable dedicated SAMs in the future.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ulmont posted:

Huh...only 5-10 years out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ap_oddities/status/1388895045940662273?s=21

It’s a KC-10! It has to have a gas station brand as a call sign, not a pop culture reference!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There is no fun allowed in the USAF.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
USAF humor is rocking a four year old meme very publicly for the bro cred.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Funniest poo poo Ive ever seen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

Satellite microwave power abandoned because too many engineers learned it had a 100% accident rate from sim city.

It’s just on a timer.

Delete it forty‐nine years after construction and build another one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Phanatic posted:

They made us change an internal way point name list that no one would ever see because the names were a little too whimsical, not even profane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

More whimsical than official FAA fixes?

eg

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Slightly less whimsical than that, because our planner wasn't that clever. I guess our bosses thought we should be more serious than the FAA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

There's literally an approved list of callsigns to choose from so I don't know how they managed to do this in the first place. Probably just wrote what they wanted on the flight plan and rolled with it. :lol:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ukraine is opening a nuclear waste site at Chernobyl.

Not a bad idea, really.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PeterCat posted:

Not a bad idea, really.

I thought the Soviets did that 34 years ago :rimshot:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PeterCat posted:

Not a bad idea, really.

Finally, a place without NIMBYs

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

One weird trick

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I mean, it's already an exclusion zone due to radiation.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It honestly is a good idea.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Godholio posted:

There's literally an approved list of callsigns to choose from so I don't know how they managed to do this in the first place. Probably just wrote what they wanted on the flight plan and rolled with it. :lol:

I was on a choose-your-own-callsign type of sortie on an Apr 20 years back. The crew was throwing some ideas back and forth until the ranking person (O-5) who happened to be the AC went 'how about <callsign> 69 so we can 69 on 420?' So we did.

I don't even remember what the word ended up being but the numbers will stick out forevermore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I get transporting nuclear waste can be risky, but would there be some other downsides to the entire world just throwing their spent rods and other radioactive waste in there?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Discussion Quorum posted:

Random trivia question that just bubbled into my brain: has the US ever shot down a hostile warplane with a SAM? Have ground/sea-based US anti-air defenses engaged or poo poo down any manned hostile aircraft since Korea?

I know Stingers, Hawks, and Patriots have all scored kills in foreign service. Also that US Patriot batteries have shot down a Hornet and a Tornado, and there was the Iranian Airbus (Sea Sparrow or SM-2 I guess) which is why I qualified that as hostile aircraft :smith:

Late to the party, but IIRC, Long Beach was credited with a Talos kill of a MiG at extreme range, too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zoux posted:

I get transporting nuclear waste can be risky, but would there be some other downsides to the entire world just throwing their spent rods and other radioactive waste in there?

The entire world? It's just the Ukraine, my friend

(Unless I *really* misread something)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He’s asking why we don’t just make Cernobyl the worlds nuke dump and only pollute that area forever. Probably sunk cost?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We shouldn’t inter more radioactive trash at Chernobyl for the same reason we shouldn’t do it a Hanford.

Yeah the sites are already contaminated and the immediate area is depopulated, but geographically and geologically, there are better places to put repositories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, for example, states have compacts with other states to store low-level radioactive waste - stuff used for medicine, smoke alarms, whatever. So, for example, here in Texas we have a deal with Vermont where they pay us to store that waste way out in West Texas where very few people live. The people who live in that county love it because they get paid by the compact to store it. I think almost all spent fuel rods (certainly in Texas but I think almost everywhere?) are stored on site at the nuke plants. Anyway, the issue that comes up is transportation, obviously a train loaded up with a bunch of cobalt-60 pellets derailing would cause some issues. So I guess the question is how safely could such waste be transported and are there any consequences for concentrating that much waste in a single location?

Platystemon posted:

We shouldn’t inter more radioactive trash at Chernobyl for the same reason we shouldn’t do it a Hanford.

Yeah the sites are already contaminated and the immediate area is depopulated, but geographically and geologically, there are better places to put repositories.

Places of honor? Perhaps commemorating some highly esteemed deed?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

He’s asking why we don’t just make Cernobyl the worlds nuke dump and only pollute that area forever. Probably sunk cost?

Because it's on a tributary of the Dniepr just 30 miles upstream of Kiev.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Cause if the waste leaks into the ground water, it feeds into the Dnieper and everything downstream, including Kiev, is screwed.

Ideally you want to build your nuclear waste sites in sparsely populated bedrock like Yucca mountain, or chuck it into the middle of Australia.

The absolute worst place to store it is a marshy swampland upstream of a major city.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

Ideally you want to build your nuclear waste sites in sparsely populated bedrock like Yucca mountain, or chuck it into the middle of Australia.

Yeah, lets make the spiders radioactive. Great idea boss. :rolleyes:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Making places radioactive doesn't necessarily make them worse, Georgia before and after the aircraft nuclear laboratory seems about the same

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 5, 2021

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
^ You try drinking radioactive water and let us know how that goes

MRC48B posted:

Yeah, lets make the spiders radioactive. Great idea boss. :rolleyes:

Ah theres nothing of value in Australia. Whats the harm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

^ You try drinking radioactive water and let us know how that goes

Heavy metals are the issue there, water is such a good absorber of radiation you can dive in those storage pools so long as you don’t actually touch the casks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Changing dirty Dniepers isn't fun for anybody.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Saint Celestine posted:

Let's see what tune you're singing when they get smart enough to build rafts.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

wiegieman posted:

Let's see what tune you're singing when they get smart enough to build rafts.

Hate to break it to you, but British Columbia is absolutely swarming with Australians so I'd say containment failed some time ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Cause if the waste leaks into the ground water, it feeds into the Dnieper and everything downstream, including Kiev, is screwed.

The absolute worst place to store it is a marshy swampland upstream of a major city.

So wouldn't the plan to use it as a nuclear waste site for just Ukraine be a bad idea too?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

So wouldn't the plan to use it as a nuclear waste site for just Ukraine be a bad idea too?

Yes. However, the waste generated by a few reactors is nowhere near the amount that the world generates. Long term though, its still an awful idea. The land sucks, winters are harsh, everything contributes to decay. Heck, the original sarcophagus built for Chernobyl only lasted like 20 years before it started falling apart. Now granted that wasn't the most well built structure, but the point is that you ideally want to store waste in a ecologically dead place with little weather and on solid ground.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ITER was supposed to be built and operating by now lmao.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I wonder how much that graph accounts for Chinese research and development. The news from TAE seems promising reading the (paywalled) article in a private browser. Maybe it's trying to attract additional venture funding but if the results are there and given the Biden admin's promises for infrastructure funding and green energy maybe we finally start to see sustained progress.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That chart's from 2012 I think, so it probably doesn't account for anything China has spent on research, at least not in the last decade. Hopefully we step up the effort to develop a reactor, but we could build clean and safe fission power plants right now and we're not doing that, either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

Heavy metals are the issue there, water is such a good absorber of radiation you can dive in those storage pools so long as you don’t actually touch the casks.

What happens with the casks? Are they just really hot or toxic or touching gets a big fat radiation dose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

What happens with the casks? Are they just really hot or toxic or touching gets a big fat radiation dose?

"Cask" isn't the right word, what's in the cooling pool are bundles of spent fuel rods. These are very hot, thermally (which is why you need to cool them, so they don't melt), and radiologically (which is why sticking them in a big pool of water to cool them is a good idea.).

Once they've cooled off enough (read: once the fission fragments in them have spent a long enough time decaying), they can be removed from the pool and placed in casks, which then get stored in a lot out behind the reactor building because we as a country are too stupid to put them in a geologic repository. Fortunately, space isn't exactly an issue. Here's the dry cask storage at Palo Verde, where every bit of spent fuel that this reactor complex has generated since it went online in the mid-80s is stored. Zoom out for context.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...!4d-112.8762985

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 5, 2021