Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Chamale posted:

There was something like 13 lawsuits trying to have the explosives moved due to the risk. They were all dismissed by the same judge.

Judge Wile E Coyote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah, i agree, 1954 was a fairly unstable year in us politics!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_United_States_Capitol_shooting

you think that’s crazy check out this thing I just heard about on chapo!!

so clearly what you’re saying is we need immediate war with russia huh, cyber is very important

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yeah that Arab Spring triggered itself. Ok then.
As someone who actually lived in the ME almost all his life Im gonna have to lol hard at you thinking the cultural climate and society of the ME, and Arab Spring, will ever replicate itself in either the US or EU. Regimes are feeble and topple often here, people generally have no faith in the government to begin with along with long existing various extremist factions in the mix operating at various levels and all it takes is a spark to completely domino-effect destabilize entire swathes of the region.

It's borderline larp poo poo to draw meaningful comparisons between the Arab Spring and half the US suddenly collapsing in a similar way into a multiple-way war in the streets without the fuckhuge boot of american authority descending on the weak and the poor with extreme prejudice. (and the other half of the country eagerly defending the cops because Behold! Private Property is being Desecrated!).

Wakko posted:

this is not a climate change thread thing but lol at going so hard at the end of history that you live in a year where the capitol is stormed and minorities arm themselves in record numbers and your take is "yes this is a very stable regime that will persist indefinitely in the midst of water wars and multi-breadbasket failures"
The storming of the capitol is by far one of the tamest events to have happened in like the past 5 years. A bunch of deranged Q-morons high off the fumes of an ex-reality television star barely being able to scale the outside wall of the building and then getting in and basically going "welp, didnt think we'd get this far lmao" before getting shut down the very same night it all started doesn't really strike me as an "end of history" event.
It was more like the people in charge were just sitting there in disbelief wondering if they should just give the order to wipe all these people out then and there, or handle this more graciously by going on national television to make sure the PR is all cool and solid before the FBI tracked all the people involved and snatched them in the middle of the night in no-knock raids.

Mayor Dave posted:

If you mean that there won't be a single drought/famine that will affect the entire developed world at once, ok, but there is no way that portions of the developed world won't face massive internal displacement and subsequent political unrest.
I mean that the political unrest and internal displacement will never reach a point where it spills over beyond "localized" emergencies. As long as the largest population centers in any given region or even country remain largely unaffected and life goes on as "normal", there wont be an American Spring, or a European Spring. And if by some increasingly likely bizarre chain of events major population centers do descend into anarchy, the poor will be too busy ripping each other apart to ever give a poo poo about the compounds of Jeff Bezos or the local millionaire. Americans just dont have the culture of organizing and rioting against a common goal or foe, even the BLM protests were absolutely saturated by "community organizers" that were actively and openly cooperating with the cops, herding people into easily manageable and designated by cop "protest zones".

The only country in the West that really knows how to successfully enter cool zones is France, but good luck replicating the same anti-authority mindset against a cop-force with billions in funding and all the latest cool surplus military gear. Im sorry but I dont think minorities "arming themselves" are going to make any difference against a cop APC rolling down the street accompanied by 5 dozen fully geared cops and ultra HD thermal camera equipped helicopters patrolling the skies. The intent isnt to arm themselves against the regime, it's to arm themselves against other people.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tony Tone posted:

The storming of the capitol is by far one of the tamest events to have happened in like the past 5 years. A bunch of deranged Q-morons high off the fumes of an ex-reality television star barely being able to scale the outside wall of the building and then getting in and basically going "welp, didnt think we'd get this far lmao" before getting shut down the very same night it all started doesn't really strike me as an "end of history" event.

Literally an alphabet soup op, both Qanon and Jan 6.

v v v This person gets it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
in the end it doesnt actually matter if we tear apart the rich limb by limb because the planet will eventually get revenge for everyone, its just that it would be the moral good to do it now instead of waiting for deathworld to do it

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Basically all of these are state-sponsored attacks against other states, though? No wonder nobody cares, it's not really breaking news and is just par for the course these days
There are a few there that attempt to hack banks and poo poo for money but thats not really interesting either. I was thinking more of a collective that just targets gov and corp institutions for the express purpose of twisting their arms hard enough to cause serious damage, or as a protest against climate change/etc. Like, why "start bombing factories" (in minecraft) if you can just gently caress with machines remotely these days and cause entire chains of production to grind to a halt?

Shima Honnou posted:

in the end it doesnt actually matter if we tear apart the rich limb by limb because the planet will eventually get revenge for everyone, its just that it would be the moral good to do it now instead of waiting for deathworld to do it
Of course it would be, I just dont see it happening realistically

Tony Tone has issued a correction as of 15:35 on May 4, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Stop making this thread lame. This conversation sucks rear end. You all suck at making predictions. Shut the gently caress up!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Stop making this thread lame. This conversation sucks rear end. You all suck at making predictions. Shut the gently caress up!

I predict that u will turn on ur monitor

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I predict global 2021 CO2e emissions will be more than 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I predict at least 100,000 acres will burn in California this fire season

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I predict a hurricane that was Cat 5 at some point will hit a metro of above 1,000,000 people this hurricane season.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I predict Arizona will not get their full allocation per the Colorado River Compact this year.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I predict that we're all going to die within our lifetime.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gods_Butthole posted:

I predict that we're all going to die within our lifetime.

lmao nah gently caress that dying is the last thing that i'll ever do

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao nah gently caress that dying is the last thing that i'll ever do

Not if I have anything to do with it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Doom predictions are fine and encouraged. Revolution predictions and other sociological predictions are stupid and bad and extremely boring.

I haven't altered my doom timeline. Within 14 years you'll be dead or living in a society so profoundly different and difficult that it will feel total alien to your former life. But probably mostly the former.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I suppose it's possible that somebody reading this thread (probably a lurking zoomer) could live to see the year 2100

whoever you are, good luck

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Death is Certain, Keep Your Cool

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Doom predictions are fine and encouraged. Revolution predictions and other sociological predictions are stupid and bad and extremely boring.

I haven't altered my doom timeline. Within 14 years you'll be dead or living in a society so profoundly different and difficult that it will feel total alien to your former life. But probably mostly the former.

I think I was wide spread collapse by 2030 which I mean could end up being true even without factoring in climate change but lately I've been thinking that maybe the doom will never actually arrive

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
barring anything crazy I would say a slowly declining Mega City One is our future

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't know about that. A few jerks living out the end of their days under a concrete dome on a desolate planet devoid of natural beauty and with no hope for a future seems like pretty solid punishment to me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i just hope the family vineyard and olive grove will last long enough for me to hand it off to the next in line, and then when climate change wrecks it i'll be all "what'd you do?!"

baw has issued a correction as of 20:41 on May 4, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

barring anything crazy I would say a slowly declining Mega City One is our future

the government doesnt even invest in basic infrastructure maintenance or repair so the only way we get megacity 1 is if amazon builds it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
just have fun posting with your friends ok :shobon:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

doom backwards is

mood

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rah! posted:

doom backwards is

moob

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

thank u for fixing it

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

Perry Mason Jar posted:

How would you even know this

I dont remember what life was like in 2007, for example. I was 18 years old and I dont remember poo poo of the "state of society" compared to today. There is no quantifiable way to really realize your quality of life has degraded beyond basic bullshit like peasant -> middle class poo poo or whatever if the timescale is long enough, or if it the change isn't overnight. If you stretch the degradation across years nobody will notice as long as Netflix and Tiktok still works on your TV and phone.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
"drat cucumbers really went up in price lately, but this dude on tiktok is so rich and lives overseas he just bought 2 bags worth of cucumbers real cheap! the problem is me, im not working hard enough, im not thinking outside the box, yes, yes. if i just work hard enough i can rise above the other poor idiots and buy my own two bags of cheap cucumbers! hahaha loving idiots. i just need to work 14 hours every day for a couple of weeks and then i will make it"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'll know the world is forever different when I can't eat an entire Digiorno pizzeria style pizza every day for lunch.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

isn’t the second half of this post a sociological prediction :v:

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tony Tone posted:

"drat cucumbers really went up in price lately, but this dude on tiktok is so rich and lives overseas he just bought 2 bags worth of cucumbers real cheap! the problem is me, im not working hard enough, im not thinking outside the box, yes, yes. if i just work hard enough i can rise above the other poor idiots and buy my own two bags of cheap cucumbers! hahaha loving idiots. i just need to work 14 hours every day for a couple of weeks and then i will make it"

Seeing as how calorie poor cucumbers are they really are a luxury vegetable berry. As a poor you shouldn't concern yourself with such things. You may instead keep your mind towards more attainable goals, such as the dependable potato or trustworthy rutabagas

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Admiral Ray posted:

I'll know the world is forever different when I can't eat an entire Digiorno pizzeria style pizza every day for lunch.

look at moneybags here ordering delivery everyday

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Crazypoops posted:

look at moneybags here ordering delivery everyday

They deny it, but it's delivery and we all know it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Crush car culture

https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1389681126642388992?s=19

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Before I gave serious shits about climate change, a big reason I was super into riding the bus and trains was the safety aspect.

Also my love of being able to read a book and totally zone out.

Seriously driving is dangerous AF.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tony Tone posted:

How would you even know this

I dont remember what life was like in 2007, for example. I was 18 years old and I dont remember poo poo of the "state of society" compared to today. There is no quantifiable way to really realize your quality of life has degraded beyond basic bullshit like peasant -> middle class poo poo or whatever if the timescale is long enough, or if it the change isn't overnight. If you stretch the degradation across years nobody will notice as long as Netflix and Tiktok still works on your TV and phone.
good news, everything is getting worse at an ever-accelerating rate! our grandparents had to wait until they were old to bitch about “the good old days” of their youth while i can list a dozen things that were quantifiably better only 5 years ago. now that’s what i call progress

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

silicone thrills posted:

Before I gave serious shits about climate change, a big reason I was super into riding the bus and trains was the safety aspect.

Also my love of being able to read a book and totally zone out.

Seriously driving is dangerous AF.

I'd love to be able to take public transit everywhere but even considering trying to do that in my area is laughable. This poo poo country is built around the automobile

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

the best way to drive, which coincidentally is also the best way to make it through life, is to assume everyone is a dumbass and will do the worst thing possible

never get surprised by people cutting you off, slamming on their brakes, gunning red lights, cutting three lanes to make an exit, etc, because you anticipated their 2 brain cell decisions

this is also why i will never ride a bike on a shared road if i have a choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Raine posted:

the best way to drive, which coincidentally is also the best way to make it through life, is to assume everyone is a dumbass and will do the worst thing possible

never get surprised by people cutting you off, slamming on their brakes, gunning red lights, cutting three lanes to make an exit, etc, because you anticipated their 2 brain cell decisions

this is also why i will never ride a bike on a shared road if i have a choice

Being a Floridian, every time I get in the car I tell myself it's a distinct possibility I may not make it home