Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

repiv posted:

Yeah it's free. It will be a distinct install though, not an update for the original version, so don't bother installing the original in anticipation.

The enhanced edition will *require* a raytracing capable graphics card (so Nvidia RTX 2000/3000 or AMD RX6000 series) FYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZCSf4_Yk

Basically a non release to me as a GTX 1080 user since lol at buying a new RTX card right now. the game itself is good and worth playing in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i own both levelhead and fury unleashed and would recommend them both if you think they look interesting. levelhead especially is a really nice mario maker like

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Worth it for CSD 3 as it's the best in the series, but otherwise, yawn.

Hellpoint is a pretty decent dark souls-like. It nails the "what the gently caress is even happening" atmosphere pretty well, too. Has some issues with kinda bland level design but the combat is actually very solid. It's not going to be anyone's favorite game but it's not bad for bundle fodder.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kibayasu posted:

Darksiders Genesis is also a decent and fun game. It’s basically just Darksiders but isometric. Think of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.
Yeah and imo it's even better than Lara Croft. I'm guessing that Genesis flew under a lot of people's radar after Darksiders 3 made the series feel stale but it's a really fun spin-off that stands on its own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Yeah and imo it's even better than Lara Croft. I'm guessing that Genesis flew under a lot of people's radar after Darksiders 3 made the series feel stale but it's a really fun spin-off that stands on its own.

A lot of people also expected something more like Diablo when they saw the top down perspective and ignored it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kibayasu posted:

Darksiders Genesis is also a decent and fun game. It’s basically just Darksiders but isometric. Think of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

This is the most interested I've been in a Darksiders game since the original, holy poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Genesis is probably the best Darksiders game of them all, frankly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Genesis is probably the best Darksiders game of them all, frankly.

Yeah, I would say it goes Genesis>1>First half of 2>3>Back half of 2.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
I was thinking of finally starting NieR: Automata, should I wait for the update?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Thanks for the Persona viewpoints all.
-
Well, that Choice for this month seems better to me, but I'll probably skip. I like how I keep confusing Relicta for Elex with that font.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zathril posted:

I was thinking of finally starting NieR: Automata, should I wait for the update?

It's not fixing anything the FAR mod doesn't or doesn't do better.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Palpek posted:

Also, you can play it as a twin stick shooter most of the time.

I'm not sure I'd even want to play it multiplayer, as I'd be stuck playing War or feeling sorry for the person who was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Okay, never mind, the forklifts from Shenmue are a loving chore. I've spent at least 20 minutes just leaving the game running to let the clock strike 5pm so I could then walk around or leave the game running until the clock strikes 7pm so night falls and I can progress.

Like, drat, there really isn't that much there for this game. As long as it's taking me to beat, it's entirely based on the amount of time I have to run around passing time training before the next plot trigger activates. It's so far 3-4 hours of material stretched out into 5x that. Especially the way all the event triggers work, if you want to see the optional plot scene with Nozomi at the park it has to be sunny and before you go to the meeting to advance the plot, so if it rains all day, all you can do is train to pass the time and hope the rain stops.

It really sucks, because the entire time early on when it's mystery solving time, where you walk around and chat, get clues from friends and neighbors, was kind of fun. By this point in the game they've stretched the same amount of what I was able to do in a single day early on into taking 5 days.

Also, the most galling loving thing in the entire game so far. There's a bunch of restaurants you can see and/or walk into. Bob's Pizza, Chinese food, Ramen, et that you do nothing with. No plot or anything to do with the locations. That's not the part that infuriates me. There's a guy you run into in the arcade who goes "Heeeey, Ryo! Want to get a bite to eat?" and the game auto-replies "No thanks". I can't loving believe they designed and programed all those restaurants locations and not a single purpose to any of it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 4, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shenmue has always been bad, you fools, you suckers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yakuza is truly the realization of the Shenmue promise. It’s even got Yu Suzuki arcade games in it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yakuza is truly the realization of the Shenmue promise. It’s even got Yu Suzuki arcade games in it.

But does it have lucky hit and scratcher tickets?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I don't think I've ever been as impressed by a game I hated to actually play as I was when I got Shenmue for the Dreamcast.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Leal posted:

But does it have lucky hit and scratcher tickets?

Some of them have pachislot, which is close.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't think I've ever been as impressed by a game I hated to actually play as I was when I got Shenmue for the Dreamcast.

100% on this

For a game that started development in 1999 there's a lot of things it did, detailed intricate animations, interactive and responsive environments, hair sfx, and building out an actual town with a huge cast of named chacters that probably took an insane amount of time and money to look as good as it did back then.

Granted it seems like in the rush to polish every surface of the game to a mirror finish they neglected to work on the actual game part. From what I hear Shenmue 3 is literally just the same after 20 years.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Orv posted:

Shenmue has always been bad, you fools, you suckers.

I think this was in a fortune cookie I got once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shenmue is a landmark game but I never think the Yakuza comparisons are very apt. It's more like the progenitor of Gone Home and Papers, Please in its celebration of the mundane. You have to like rifling through people's drawers and closely examining an orange for no material reason other than the act itself.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Shenmue is a landmark game but I never think the Yakuza comparisons are very apt. It's more like the progenitor of Gone Home and Papers, Please in its celebration of the mundane. You have to like rifling through people's drawers and closely examining an orange for no material reason other than the act itself.

That feels like an extremely oblique analogy to make, to me.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

[stuff about Shenmue]

Shenmue is an early example of ridiculous scope creep. It became a life simulation experience more than a game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I mean, it's really easy to draw the direct line- Yakuza is Shenmue with more game in it. More fighting, more sidequests, a more direct plot that actually resolves important chapters in the characters lives with each installment. It's basically a lot of the promise of Shenmue except, y'know, designed to put game stuff first because most people found Shenmue a dreary slog hamstrung by it's ambitions on being a serial telenovela first, a slice of life simulator second, and an interactive experience a distant third.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really think so. What Shenmue does well even 20 years later is recreate a very particular time and place. It celebrates the mundane in ways that most video games wisely try to avoid. You have an allowance. You have to go to bed at 8pm. You get a part-time job in the second act. It's very easy to draw a straight line from Shenmue to walky sims that also try to intricately establish a sense of place.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This lives on in the paragraph-long descriptions of various types of food and liquor, pointless fishing system, and library of DVD’s you can rent and hear Kiryu’s opinion on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Outside of your own home in Shenmue, I don't think there's ever any time you can rifle through drawers.

If there is, its so pointless to the game that I haven't found a situation where it seemed worth doing even for a "wonder what this person owns" moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You get to open and close many drawers in Shenmue 3.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It sounds like you’re drawing a distinction in tone rather than features. Yakuza, while it is loving in its depiction of its Kabukicho parody, is still obviously a parody and as such does not have the same grounded affect.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't we have this discussion like 2 days ago about people talking about all they watch is Yakuza LPs cause playing it is a slog and an LP lets them just experience the part that everyone talks up?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Leal posted:

Didn't we have this discussion like 2 days ago about people talking about all they watch is Yakuza LPs cause playing it is a slog and an LP lets them just experience the part that everyone talks up?

No, we didn't, but if that's how you enjoy good games then the more power to you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really think so. What Shenmue does well even 20 years later is recreate a very particular time and place. It celebrates the mundane in ways that most video games wisely try to avoid. You have an allowance. You have to go to bed at 8pm. You get a part-time job in the second act. It's very easy to draw a straight line from Shenmue to walky sims that also try to intricately establish a sense of place.

Gone Home and Papers definitely establish a sense of place but they also have a purpose to your being in that place which Shenmue so viciously lacks that I instinctively recoiled at the comparison. I get what you're going for, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some indie titles coming out this month

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369520/Strangeland/ - New point n click by the developer of past Steam thread beloved game Primordia
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127970/Retro_Machina/ - isometric puzzler with (very) light action.. it looks bastion-y but the emphasis is on puzzles to be clear
https://store.steampowered.com/app/598550/HUNTDOWN/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1306630/Lost_Ruins/ - looks like a momodora style game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1323540/Aerial_Knights_Never_Yield/ - cool looking auto-runner
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093290/The_Wild_at_Heart/ - pikminny game that was featured in Steam Demo Festival
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299360/Mighty_Goose/ - Run n Gun Goose Game

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 4, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

What Shenmue does well

Here's where your argument falls apart.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 7th Guest posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369520/Strangeland/ - New point n click by the developer of past Steam thread beloved game Primordia

You have my interest, but that sure is a disturbing art-style which I'm not sure I'd endure for a whole game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The problem is that other walking simulators are far more curated experiences. You examine smaller places built with more purpose something that is generally built to usher you from point to point, while Shenmue is very much a meandering open world game except instead of doing crimes or whatnot you're hitting Gacha machines on the way to your job you're doing to kill time until plot finally happens.

Either way you want to frame it though, Shenmue is a pretty poor version of the experience it wants to be. It"s a bad walking simulator because it wastes your time with empty space that has the PROMISE of being more that goes completely unfulfilled, and it's a bad open world game because all that empty space doesn't even really serve as potential setpiece for spontaneous action or cool stunts.

Yakuza's biggest success is retaining a lot of the exploratory flavor but replacing little bits of 'oh, that's neat' one-off objects with finding characters to interact with instead. Which, I mean, the characters are the best and most interesting parts of both games, except one made them the reward for exploration and the other more or less restricts them to the critical path.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's where your argument falls apart.

You can't see it but in motion all her long hair is animated to react like hair. It's the same for several other characters as well.

TressFX before the West even had more then single texture hair. That's got to be worth at least $5mil of the development well spent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I gave the demo a try. I'm not one for auto-runners so unsurprisingly I'm not going to buy this one, but if you are you should definitely check it out.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My main memory of Shenmue was my mom asking me what it was about after watching me drive a forklift around for an hour and walk around town. I told her it was about avenging my dead father and she assumed I was lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

My main memory of Shenmue was my mom asking me what it was about after watching me drive a forklift around for an hour and walk around town. I told her it was about avenging my dead father and she assumed I was lying.

In the end, she was right.