Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

chiasaur11 posted:

She is not a doll. (plus words, lots of them)

What show did you watch? This is the Evangelion thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I think my biggest confusion is how somehow Rei got popular? She's a blank slate, a doll and while important has no real agency. Why did people latch on to her so badly.

She was one of the first big examples of that cool and aloof archetype. Appeals to people who want a quiet pretty doll, but also appeals to masochist-adjacents who want someone to ignore them.

But also mysterious magical moon lady who is often naked and doesn't care.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
When one of my closest friends watched the show for the first time last year, he really liked Rei and hated Asuka Lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

end of eva is real fuckin good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Darth TNT posted:

I finally got around to watching the End of Evangelion on Netflix.
:wtc: did I just watch. I don't think I'll ever see something like this again.

I can't pretend to understand what happened and whether that was good or bad, but holy crap at all those visuals.
Now watch the Mega64 version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZnsWjJ6Qw

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rei's an interesting character, but having gotten around to the series with that Anno quote about not knowing what to do with her after episode 6 in mind I really felt it, though she still gets some exploration near the end. In comparison I've enjoyed the vile pandering that is the Rebuilds giving her more character beats post-Ramiel.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Not sure if this has been posted but oh lordy :laffo:

https://twitter.com/melonc0la/status/1388686286274371595

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oof

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Didn't you hear her?

She is not a doll.

I actually had the opposite response to Rei. Came in assuming I'd roll my eyes at this nothing character, but she was really interesting to watch.

The surface level thing is that she's, well, off. She's poorly socialized and has some weird stuff going on with her soul, so her interactions with people show a lack of connection with regular society that goes against the flow and makes her stand out.

But she also has a lot of interiority. Rei spends a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell Rei's deal is, which contrasts with Asuka running full tilt away from thinking about why she's a pile of issues in favor of drowning them in giant (not a) robot violence and quantifiable accomplishments.

Rei isn't an empty puppet. She's a person who's messed up due to a miserable, weird life, and (interesting bit!) she's a person who's consciously evaluated her own life and decided that selling it for the people she cares about was a good value. (Her conversation with Asuka is interesting here, because she objects to the suggestion that she's not a person... and follows up by saying that of course she'd die if Gendo ordered it.

Asuka takes it as a sign of emptiness, but for Rei, it's the opposite. As a human being, she's decided that her loyalty and affection for Ikari makes the best decision the one that helps him. Even if it means her death.)

Which leads, naturally enough, to the fact that she does have agency, in the end. (Arguably, more than any of the other characters.) Agency that derails everyone's plans. In the end, she sides with Shinji over Gendo, chooses the boy who was kind to her over the man who took her cooperation for granted, and thus, tang.

I agree that she's a very interesting character. Her blankness, her purpose, her self worth the way she takes her destiny into her own hands at the end. But, it just..doesn't seem..I don't know. She just doesn't strike me as someone I want to write a million fics or draw thousands of pictures off. Like she's interesting to look at in show, but not think about in any other setting?
I'm probably rambling, but I hope I'm getting my vague point across.

Szmitten posted:

She was one of the first big examples of that cool and aloof archetype. Appeals to people who want a quiet pretty doll, but also appeals to masochist-adjacents who want someone to ignore them.

But also mysterious magical moon lady who is often naked and doesn't care.

Except cool? I don't know, feels like anyone who thought she was cool kinda missed the point of her? I mean she had cool moments, like the spear of Longinus, the sniper rifle and the end with Ikari.
Boobs probably help with the demographic. :shrug:

Anyway, it's quite a movie.

Also lol.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Rei is literally a doll; there’s a factory full of her down in the basement for chrissakes.

I do give respect for writing that joke post so sincerely. :golfclap:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Except cool? I don't know, feels like anyone who thought she was cool kinda missed the point of her? I mean she had cool moments, like the spear of Longinus, the sniper rifle and the end with Ikari.
Boobs probably help with the demographic. :shrug:

Cool as in cold and distant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rei isn't even cold, she just has flat affect. Most of her major plot beats have her expressing pretty intense emotion, just with absent or muted facial expressions and body language.

One of the first times we ever see her (apart from when she's wounded in episode 1) is her looking up at Gendo like this and talking animatedly:

In Episode 5 it's actually a pretty important plot point that Misato and Ritsuko are underestimating Rei's inner emotional life!

quote:

Misato: "So, what caused the accident during the last experiment?"
Ritsuko: "We still don't know. However, we believe that mental instability on the part of the pilot was a primary cause."
Misato: "Mental instability? In Rei?"
Ritsuko: "Yes, her mind became much more disturbed than we had anticipated."
Misato: "So what happened?"
Ritsuko: "I don't know. But it could be..."
Misato: "Did something occur to you?"
Ritsuko: (to herself) "No...that can't be it..."

In the pratfall sequence followed by her trying to commute to NERV HQ she's really clearly getting more and more irritated the whole time (watch how she swipes her ID card) culminating in her finally slapping Shinji when he insults his father.

In the lead-up to the Ramiel fight Rei outright tells Shinji that her connections to other people are the most important thing in her life (or as she frames it, that she has nothing else.)

I'm not gonna go on and do every single instance in the show but just as a general thing her interactions with Asuka are often more spiteful or provocative rather than indifferent if you watch closely.

I don't know if it's something that Anno was consciously going for, but Rei really strongly reads as autistic -- a neurotype that's frequently mistaken for lacking emotion or empathy when in reality it's just being communicated in a different way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fly Ricky posted:

Rei is literally a doll; there’s a factory full of her down in the basement for chrissakes.

I do give respect for writing that joke post so sincerely. :golfclap:

Rei is, in the literal sense, an artificial human meant to be obedient and easily replaceable.
But she disobeys and murders her creator in the original series and in Rebuild 3.0 Shinji treating her like a "doll" is one of the red flags that he's becoming more like his father.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

I dont know what this is but I can (not) stop watching it.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fork

e: of Longinus

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 14, 2021

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Great series in the early half but it really went downhill after the Manzikert arc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Asuka_Boi/status/1393946807621857284

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/anime/status/1394363349870206981?s=21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If that's where the oxygen goes then I've gotta give credit to those pilots after all these years. It's even worse. Imagine choking...but from your butt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Already gone, what was it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Already gone, what was it?

A news article about a study suggesting that liquid breathing could be done through the butt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

A news article about a study suggesting that liquid breathing could be done through the butt.

sweet

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

chiasaur11 posted:

buttchuggers, vindicated, flood local bars

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, the account got suspended due to a technical error, so the tweet will probably be back in a short bit.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know if it's something that Anno was consciously going for, but Rei really strongly reads as autistic -- a neurotype that's frequently mistaken for lacking emotion or empathy when in reality it's just being communicated in a different way.

I should rewatch sometime and see if there's an aphantasia hook there. A lot of 'cool stoic' anime characters read as aphants to me, like Mika from IBO or Legoshi from Beastars. Jury is still out on links between aphantasia and spectral disorders.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Ate dinner at a limited-time Evangelion restaurant tonight:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I assume the final course was being submerged in a vat of Tang

edit: I googled Evangelion Restaurant to figure out what that all is and I found something way funnier/tackier:

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 23, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
drat, that’s impressive. At a Coco’s no less. Mine was $60 a head and I didn’t get a goddamn Spear of Longinus.

We had Pen Pen imprinted fish cakes. :toot: Here’s the menu.

edit: too many superstar penguins in this country

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 23, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I remember saving a picture 2 decades ago of a Longinus shaped fork and a Longinus shaped knife leaning on a tiny Lilith plate with some fatty meat on it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Szmitten posted:

I remember saving a picture 2 decades ago of a Longinus shaped fork and a Longinus shaped knife leaning on a tiny Lilith plate with some fatty meat on it.

Truly a classic

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-06/final-evangelion-film-gets-new-3.0-1.01-update-for-last-run/.173638

quote:

The official website for Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time (Shin Evangelion Gekijō-ban :||), the "final" Evangelion film, revealed on Monday that the film will have a new Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 version. The new version will contain "minor revisions" to some animation sequences, but will not change the film's story. The new version will begin screening in theaters in Japan on Saturday, June 12 for the film's "last run."
LOL that the film run gets a patched update. It's probably just the final tweaks that will make it into the home release, but I want it now already...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-06/final-evangelion-film-gets-new-3.0-1.01-update-for-last-run/.173638

LOL that the film run gets a patched update. It's probably just the final tweaks that will make it into the home release, but I want it now already...

I want any part of it already.

Put it in my veins.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JazzFlight posted:

Evangelion butthole cut

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goblin week posted:

Evangelion butthole cut

Gendo was in it all along.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I want any part of it already.

Put it in my veins.

They already got me three times. Figure I'll probably give this one a couple more if there's anything of substance. :shrug:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Midjack posted:

Gendo was in it all along.

:goatse: but with Gendo hands

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

these mfs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there an EVA monopoly set called You Can (Not) pass Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Have there been any updates on the upcoming gkids release of the series?