Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's funny that whenever they do finally introduce x-Men/Mutants into the MCU they won't be able to hang out with Iron Man, Captain America, and probably Spider-Man for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's funny that whenever they do finally introduce x-Men/Mutants into the MCU they won't be able to hang out with Iron Man, Captain America, and probably Spider-Man for various reasons.

They'll be able to hang out with SamCap and presumably Nu Iron Man and maybe Miles Morales though. :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They're totally gonna make Taskmaster a grimdark villain and that sucks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Very excited for Woody

https://twitter.com/kidblue/status/1389271756326641664?s=19

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yum and maybe I am broken human being, but I just don’t get reactions like this -

https://twitter.com/sairaspooks/status/1389219562256797699?s=21

Can someone explain this to me?

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
People get emotionally invested in stuff and form para-social relationships with celebrities.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hoop Dreams posted:

People get emotionally invested in stuff and form para-social relationships with celebrities.

I think I would understand the emotion more if it wasn’t just title art. It is literally the most nothing thing.

BRB getting emotionally distraught over some WordArt of the new Avengers title.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mordiceius posted:

I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yum and maybe I am broken human being, but I just don’t get reactions like this -

The movie struck a huge emotional chord with a lot of people and then the lead actor died tragically young.

Mordiceius posted:

I think I would understand the emotion more if it wasn’t just title art. It is literally the most nothing thing.

BRB getting emotionally distraught over some WordArt of the new Avengers title.

I don't think it's so much the art as the name itself.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I guess I am just a broken human that can’t enjoy things.

But I can enjoy this - https://twitter.com/ihatethiskid/status/1388907858767585280?s=20

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^ LoL. "Nobody thought I was cool for dunking on that one rando from the internet for having feelings. Let me quickly find another rando lady to make fun of. That'll get everyone on my side." ^

stev posted:

The movie struck a huge emotional chord with a lot of people and then the lead actor died tragically young.
Yeah my wife thought Endgame was fine when she first watched it, but when we watched it with my mom, lost it when Black Panther comes back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians 3 getting a date was the only good part of the video.

Free me James from Marvel. Only you can do it

The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker TV show are this year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

^ LoL. "Nobody thought I was cool for dunking on that one rando from the internet for having feelings. Let me quickly find another rando lady to make fun of. That'll get everyone on my side." ^

I think they were just asking a question calm down

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mameluke posted:

Cmon is Black Panther 2 gonna be Nakia, Okoye, or Shuri, that's all we wanna know

Hoe many CIA agents will they be praising though?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Word is it's Winston Duke. Or, if he's not Black Panther, he'll be playing a major role. He quit a TV role for it apparently.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

where is the secret power up plant going to come from?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

where is the secret power up plant going to come from?

"The magic was in you all along" I assume.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

Cmon is Black Panther 2 gonna be Nakia, Okoye, or Shuri, that's all we wanna know

Its great you think they're going to let it be a woman

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Burkion posted:

Its great you think they're going to let it be a woman

what about THREE women?

edit: Chadwick's Angels

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

hiddenriverninja posted:

what about THREE women?

edit: Chadwick's T'Charlie's Angels

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is there any historical period that most people would recognize from ~5,000 B.C.? I think China and Japan are the only "major" civilizations that we have some knowledge of from that era.

Either that or a generic "stone age" or "bronze age" era civilization.

I’m not sure what you mean, Japan at 7000bp would have been affluent hunter gatherers, practicing some limited arboriculture and maybe horticulture, no major monumental building or anything that most people would be aware of. China had a lot of really disparate regional developments around this time but again definitely nothing with any purchase in the popular imagination.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We all know Civilization starts in 4000 B.C. and ends in 2020 A.D., that's what Sid Meier designed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol please don't start the death of theaters argument again

Just bought a new recliner and 4k tv :getin:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

They'll share the mantle

Who gets to be Black Panther when?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Just bought a new recliner and 4k tv :getin:

Crank that motion smoothing

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MacheteZombie posted:

They'll share the mantle

Possible wild card: Angela Basset is Black Couger.

I am a horrible human being and deserve to be punished.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Set the tv aspect ratio to 4:3 for optimal viewing experience.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

AccountSupervisor posted:

The somewhat recently discovered Gobekli Tepe in modern day Turkey dates to around 9000 B.C., long before we even thought humans had started becoming sedentary and non-nomadic.

this seems like a weird set of definitions of 'sedentary' and 'non-nomadic', given that indigenous australians got there 80,000 years ago and were well known for staying in one place in the many nice parts of the country where you don't have to be nomadic to survive

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

You know when you write "lmaoooo" but in reality you just had a brief smirk on a commute because of a shitpost meme?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

Crank that motion smoothing

set noise reduction to "creamy"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

Finally, a movie brave enough to say what we're all thinking: we need to reunite to defeat the Deviants.

Lmao.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mordiceius posted:

The United States is not a democracy and everyone is aware of it on a more or less conscious level. The people have no power. So some people get as invested in a fantasy world as they would have been in, for example, the Civil Rights Act.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Yeah, the ~marvel's black panther cultural phenomena~ isn't hard to read. It's the platonic cinema ideal of that Malcolm X quote: "The white man will try to satisfy us with symbolic victories rather than economic equity and justice." Since actual political/racial progress in this country has been, uh, let's tactfully say somewhat mitigated by the powers that be, a DoD/Marvel blockbuster about a CIA-backed African coup fills that niche. My primary objection to the whole thing, even moreso than the fact that it's a remarkably perverse act of psychological warfare, is that it apparently made everybody forget about classic 1998 Wesley Snipes vehicle Blade.

Be pretty cool to see Winston Duke get a bigger role, though. I've liked him since Us.

The MSJ posted:

The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker TV show are this year.

Could not possibly overstate my excitement for the Douchebag Captain America TV Series, starring John Cena. Hell yeah.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 4, 2021

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

How could anyone forget that epic fight in the vampire club while the dance remix of "Confusion" blares?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Norrington's Blade is a one-man SR Combat Organization. Of course Marvel wants you to forget him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ungulateman posted:

this seems like a weird set of definitions of 'sedentary' and 'non-nomadic', given that indigenous australians got there 80,000 years ago and were well known for staying in one place in the many nice parts of the country where you don't have to be nomadic to survive

Probably more like 50k-30k years ago, since human migration out of Africa likely happened after a population bottleneck 100k-75k years ago. But you're right that these terms speak to a very restricted "classical" framework for what a civilization is, as defined by Western academia. Benchmarks like permanently-inhabited cities or stone architecture or specific evidence of agricultural industry are not necessarily important to some ancient civilizations, but those things sure are useful for archaeologists.

"Semi-nomadic" or even "semi-agricultural" probably described a much longer period of human civilization than was previously believed all over the world. Sounds kind of boring to watch in a movie, though...I get why even 10,000 BC was more like 3000 BC with pyramids and sailing ships and mass urban settlement and what-not. I guess the Eternals just kind of chilled out until humans started building interesting poo poo.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

My primary objection to the whole thing, even moreso than the fact that it's a remarkably perverse act of psychological warfare, is that it apparently made everybody forget about classic 1998 Wesley Snipes vehicle Blade.

Yeah, the "first Black superhero" bit was insufferable. I think it speaks more to how thoroughly corporations have dominated pop culture, that "the MCU" is a meaningful term for anyone outside their marketing. Blade came out 20 years before BP, but he wasn't in the MCU, so there's something ersatz or illegitimate about him until he is legitimized by Disney-Marvel. He's RC Cola, but Coke is the Real Thing.

For sure, though, Blade is a more threatening figure, as well. Black Panther respects national sovereignty, chooses to work within systems of oppression without dismantling them for incremental gains. Blade is a rogue operative working under his own authority to dismantle a parasitic system of white oppression with zero regard for the structure it provides. The story ends with him killing the Vampire God, the Vampire ruling class decimated from within, as he takes his fight international because borders are meaningless.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ungulateman posted:

Sorry I was speaking in broader strokes, wasnt trying to derail it too much. Later neolithic sedentary groups with heavy agricultural practices vs primarily hunter-gathering pre-Neolithic nomadic groups. Although obviously they practiced both of those in varying degrees in both sedentary and nomadic lifestyles for a long time.

I know some indigenous Australian agriculture and aquaculture has been dated to around the same period of development as other Neolithic cultures, obviously way earlier than what the colonial perspective sold for a long time but I dont know how much we are trying to dive into that in this thread lol.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah, the ~marvel's black panther cultural phenomena~ isn't hard to read. It's the platonic cinema ideal of that Malcolm X quote: "The white man will try to satisfy us with symbolic victories rather than economic equity and justice." Since actual political/racial progress in this country has been, uh, let's tactfully say somewhat mitigated by the powers that be, a DoD/Marvel blockbuster about a CIA-backed African coup fills that niche. My primary objection to the whole thing, even moreso than the fact that it's a remarkably perverse act of psychological warfare, is that it apparently made everybody forget about classic 1998 Wesley Snipes vehicle Blade.

Be pretty cool to see Winston Duke get a bigger role, though. I've liked him since Us.

Could not possibly overstate my excitement for the Douchebag Captain America TV Series, starring John Cena. Hell yeah.
Alternatively, enslaved people literally told folktales of their African ancestors having Superpowers. The whole base fantasy of a superhero is the idea of hidden greatness. That nebbish reporter is really the greatest hero in the world. That skinny kid from Brooklyn is really the bravest man you'll meet. Black Panther is appealing to the audience in the same way The People Could Fly did. It is an aspirational story of Black greatness being obscured, but not gone. Also, beyond being a movie that is the first blockbuster Afro-Futurism film, Black Panther presents an alternate history Hollywood. It is at times spy thriller and sword and sandals epic. It makes motions to Nolan's Batman's movies and Lord of the Rings. It is presenting the audience an alternate timeline of what Hollywood could be.

That's not to say that there isn't legit criticism. It's a big budget Marvel movie that fundamentally can't change its own Universe and not only casts a CIA agent in the positive light--Although people's memories are a bit selective of how the CIA is presented. And even if you want to go that road, Sam Jackson IS RIGHT THERE.

But it's annoying when people use criticism to completely dismiss a film. To be clear, I think the CIA criticism amongst other things is valid. Although everyone who clutches their pearls about the film being pro-monarchy is being a clown. But we shouldn't use a criticism to just dismiss a movie entirely and anyone who the movie resonated with.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 5, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Alternatively, enslaved people literally told folktales of their African ancestors having Superpowers. The whole base fantasy of a superhero is the idea of hidden greatness. That nebbish reporter is really the greatest hero in the world. That skinny kid from Brooklyn is really the bravest man you'll meet. Black Panther is appealing to the audience in the same way The People Could Fly did. It is an aspirational story of Black greatness being obscured, but not gone. Also, beyond being a movie that is the first blockbuster Afro-Futurism film, Black Panther presents an alternate history Hollywood. It is at times spy thriller and sword and sandals epic. It makes motions to Nolan's Batman's movies and Lord of the Rings. It is presenting the audience an alternate timeline of what Hollywood could be.

That's not to say that there isn't legit criticism. It's a big budget Marvel movie that fundamentally can't change its own Universe and not only casts a CIA agent in the positive light--Although people's memories are a bit selective of how the CIA is presented. And even if you want to go that road, Sam Jackson IS RIGHT THERE.

But it's annoying when people use criticism to completely dismiss a film. To be clear, I think the CIA criticism amongst other things is valid. Although everyone who clutches their pearls about the film being pro-monarchy is being a clown. But we shouldn't use a criticism to just dismiss a movie entirely and anyone who the movie resonated with.

No one here is clutching pearls about the film being pro-monarchy. But now that you mention Sam Jackson, yes, there is a perfectly fine alphabet organisation they could have used instead of the CIA, it's called SHIELD. The fact that they did not, means that the choice to make Martin Freeman a CIA agent (instead of a State Dept employee like he was in the comics) was deliberate, and that makes that choice even worse

It's not just the CIA thing though, the whole drat movie is just peak liberal brainrot. I acknowledge that the movie resonated with a lot of people, and I respect the effect and impact that has. But the message of the film itself is trash.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

No one here is clutching pearls about the film being pro-monarchy.
I know nobody at the moment is, I was just being petty about a critique that has bothered me.

quote:

But now that you mention Sam Jackson, yes, there is a perfectly fine alphabet organisation they could have used instead of the CIA, it's called SHIELD. The fact that they did not, means that the choice to make Martin Freeman a CIA agent (instead of a State Dept employee like he was in the comics) was deliberate, and that makes that choice even worse

It's not just the CIA thing though, the whole drat movie is just peak liberal brainrot. I acknowledge that the movie resonated with a lot of people, and I respect the effect and impact that has. But the message of the film itself is trash.
That's what I'm kind of getting at. You have a Black character already in the series who would be much more interesting. I feel like there was something with Jackson being confused why he hadn't been invited in the film. It's a legit lovely thing about the movie and I think it's fair to spoil the movie for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

Alternatively, enslaved people literally told folktales of their African ancestors having Superpowers. The whole base fantasy of a superhero is the idea of hidden greatness. That nebbish reporter is really the greatest hero in the world. That skinny kid from Brooklyn is really the bravest man you'll meet. Black Panther is appealing to the audience in the same way The People Could Fly. It is an aspirational story of Black greatness being obscured, but gone. Also, beyond being a movie that is the first blockbuster Afro-Futurism film, Black Panther presents an alternate history Hollywood. It is at times spy thriller and sword and sandals epic. It makes motions to Nolan's Batman's movies and Lord of the Rings. It is presenting the audience an alternate timeline of what Hollywood could be.

That's not to say that there isn't a criticism. It's a big budget Marvel movie that fundamentally can't change its own Universe and not only casts a CIA agent in the positive light--Although people's memories are a bit selective of how the CIA is presented. And even if you want to go that road, Sam Jackson IS RIGHT THERE.

What rankles me so much about it is that they use those precise virtues--evoking African tribal folklore, promoting black representation in mainstream film--in service of an actively regressive narrative. They're defanging and villainizing very real struggles for liberation across the world, and through history, as products of some kind of bullshit, naive, pathological misguided anger. Killmonger is trying to redress literal centuries of the most brutal, systematically-enacted horror you can imagine, and he's the bad guy, and Black Panther's morally righteous alternative is...what? Return some poo poo from a museum, open a community center? The film seems to paint colonialism primarily as Something That Used To Happen, instead of an actively ongoing oppression, fueled by cartoonish bigots and systems that are "merely flawed" instead of precisely engineered for the suffering they continue to inflict. Watching some racist South African prick get his head blown off is thirst-quenching, but this movie is ultimately saying that we should be looking for answers from literally the same institutions that annihilated millions of people. The CIA are the good guys? In a movie set in Africa? Are you loving kidding me? But don't worry, it's chill; they're all dorky Bilbo Baggins-looking nerd motherfuckers now. No hard feelings.

Apart from the movie's own qualities, the cultural function it serves is infuriating. It's a C+ Marvel paint-by-numbers, feeding off manufactured hype stolen (and I stress on nearly every level) from a 20 year-old vampire movie, packaged and sold as ~progressive~ by the same set of aforesaid MIC ghouls, in an era where people are being savagely beaten and murdered in the streets by their own government because they dared to ask for actual progress. Asking us to pat ourselves on the back is rubbing some serious salt in the wound. As a projection of the American cultural context, it's perverse; as some kind of fantasy image of this country's role in the world, holy poo poo, now we're talking downright capital-e Evil. Aspirational is not the word.

Anyways, that's why I didn't like Black Panther.