Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any mods and DLCs that make new world games more enjoyable? I bought the base game and some DLC back in 2015 for the sole purpose of playing indigenous nations but they felt like afterthoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

buglord posted:

Are there any mods and DLCs that make new world games more enjoyable? I bought the base game and some DLC back in 2015 for the sole purpose of playing indigenous nations but they felt like afterthoughts.

the latest dlc Leviathan promised to do this but it also broke the game apocalyptically badly so maybe hold off for a sec on that

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I see that there have been two patches since Levi released, is the game playable yet?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr. Grinch posted:

I see that there have been two patches since Levi released, is the game playable yet?

Yes in that you can actually play through a campaign now.

Is it good? hmmm

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

most of the remaining big bugs aren't game ruining in most starts, so you can play it.

We still have the issue of accidently making a free feature paid, as far as I'm aware the insanely OP rulers in certain republican governments are still there, and they totally bugged vassalization via war so atm you can only do it through a subjugation CB, so don't play a game that requires a no CB vassal start

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
alright ill give it a few more weeks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The army attachment system is still incredibly buggy. They tried to fix attached armies not arriving on the same day correctly in 1.30 through 1.30.4 in 1.30.6, but that just broke the attachment system even further. Before, you just had to select all of your armies in a province and then make sure all armies are attached to the top army on that list and it worked nearly perfectly. Now, it is just all kinds of busted no matter how you do it. I've seen attached armies split off and start moving in other directions. They still don't arrive on the same day if you queue multiple movements at once. They are especially broken when it comes to transports. Just had some attached armies go on a transport and only one could actually land, leaving the other army behind on the boats. They were then stuck there on the boats until I brought them back to port. And then I tried to move some exiled attached armies onto some boats and the game crashed, lmao.

The reason this is so frustrating is because the mercenary system relies on army attaching. Armies not arriving on the same day is very bad for battles (especially if your cannons and/or cav arrive first), so if you don't attach mercs to regulars then you are fighting at a disadvantage. Except the system only barely works, making any warfare involving mercs a nightmare to manage. This was broken in 1.30.6 and did nothing about it for any of the 1.31 versions, so I dunno if Paradox even plans on fixing it anytime soon. The moral here is to always go Quantity and never use mercs, I guess.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've had more trouble using auto-transport in my current game as well, but I'd just chalked that up to user error until now. My transports are randomly all busy even though they're sitting in the same province's harbor.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

buglord posted:

For natives? Not really. There is one alt-history mod, Third Odyssey, that features the Byzantines loving off to the New World ahead of everyone else to escape the Ottomans, and through your choices either colonizing the gently caress out of or assimilating into the natives. It also features a surviving Vinland and a splinter faction that turns the Yucatan into a new Sparta.

It hasn't been updated in a while but the devs stated that they were waiting until Leviathan to do so.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone try the new monuments?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fun with mercenaries:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1010617779?t=10898s

3:01:38 if the timestamp doesn't work. Just some of the many ridiculous ways attached armies are totally broken. edit: second incident at 3:05:20. Apparently attached armies can just teleport in some circumstances?? lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 5, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fun with mercenaries:
3:01:38 if the timestamp doesn't work. Just some of the many ridiculous ways attached armies are totally broken.

The Heroes 3 Grass theme?

E:

Oh, even his spectators make that comment.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the merc system is so amazingly clunky i don’t know why they didn’t just give individual units a malus and only normal stats/ general benefits when at a certain size stacked together

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

florry vs movement mechanics is an infinite struggle, and also v funny

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Here's a hot idea for attachment: multiple selected stacks all given an order to move to the same province from the same province will automatically move at the pace of the slowest stack. You never have to gently caress with attachment or micro day arrival ever again.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Here's a hot idea for attachment: multiple selected stacks all given an order to move to the same province from the same province will automatically move at the pace of the slowest stack. You never have to gently caress with attachment or micro day arrival ever again.

I distinctly remember this being a thing in HOI2. You could select a bunch of units and order them to move somewhere, and specify exactly when you wanted them to arrive (default being whenever the slowest one could get there, but you could select a later time).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So an ally attaches to your stuck, slows it down and the enemy runs away.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ilitarist posted:

So an ally attaches to your stuck, slows it down and the enemy runs away.
Sounds fine to me, if you don't want them to attach you don't leave the setting on. :shrug:

Player: Yes! I'm just about to stackwipe these fools and... nooooo!
AI: I'm helping. :downs:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don't see why they wouldn't all at least get the general's maneuver benefit. They get his pips in battle, already.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I just don't know what I want to take for my 4th idea group in my Aztec game. I've got Exploration, Expansion and Quantity already picked with Expansion being completely done and the other two only an idea or two away from being finished. I still have Exploration because I like the +25% naval force limit idea at the end and was planning on taking decisions to further up my settler rate.

I think most people would probably say Economic or Admin ideas here and I actually have Economic picked right now, but I haven't picked any ideas yet so I could replace it freely. I could use the -10% construction costs and the development cost bonus for completing it is nice, but I really don't feel like I need the +.10 interest reduction idea even though it's usually needed for the Aztecs. However, even though my interest is slowly climbing, I've been able to keep it well managed with the occasional master of mint and the regular reduction method of spending a bit of admin points, so it has never been above like 6 or 7%. But right now my economy is pretty well balanced and I can actually have my interest go down if I take out my +production efficiency advisor.

Admin of course is going to be needed at some point for the core-creation reduction and the massive governing capacity bonus at the end, so I feel like taking it now would be also be a viable option since I could just slowly work up the ideas instead of having to focus on them exclusively. But I was also thinking about Influence ideas as I've been picking up a few vassals from the native tribes. Or I could take Religious ideas for the extra missionaries and stuff. Or I could take my 2nd military pick, which would probably be quality in order to really boost the hell out of my military.

I'm pretty much on equal footing with the European nations in terms of technology, so there is no need for my to try and catch up anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The econ/quantity policy is extremely good

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Not sure why you picked Expansion? Let the euros colonize for you, eat their CNs.

My picks would be Exploration, Admin, and then either Humanist and some military idea group, or the other way around.

Exploration for the obvious reasons. Admin for the CCR, Humanist over Religious because you'll be conquering a loooooot of clay with wrong faith and culture.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Not sure why you picked Expansion? Let the euros colonize for you, eat their CNs.

My picks would be Exploration, Admin, and then either Humanist and some military idea group, or the other way around.

Exploration for the obvious reasons. Admin for the CCR, Humanist over Religious because you'll be conquering a loooooot of clay with wrong faith and culture.

Because expansion is very good for the Aztecs. They are actually better at colonizing than the colonizers when you get them built up a bit, especially if you have a ruler with the expanionist trait, because you can build a couple extra colonies with all the extra gold you bring in normally. I have 4 colonists, but I can have 6 colonies up and running full time and can even go up to 8 colonies for a few months if needed. You still leave some space open for the normal colonizers of course, but I think it's better to have provinces that already have my culture and my religion. Plus it helps you build small bases in various overseas areas faster.

Plus you also get an extra merchant, a reduction of fort maintenance on rival borders (which is handy for the sunset invasion), a reduction to improving a center of trade and +20% to global trade power. Not to mention that the bonus for completing the idea group is -10% minimum autonomy in territories and the Aztecs end up with a lot of territories.

So yeah, expansion is quite good for the Aztecs.

Edit - also i think you are discounting taking religious ideas for the Aztecs too.
The Nahuatl religion is extremely strong and when you get a few extra missionaries and a strength bonus you can usually convert most provinces to Nahuatl in like 6 months. They are almost on par with the speed of Orthodox missionaries.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 5, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Quality is what you want. Its the best military idea group normally, and the usually useless navy ideas in there are actually really good for your run.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

spending admin on expansion ideas, to spend ducats on a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces. but on the other hand name on the map gets bigger .......

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

oddium posted:

spending admin on expansion ideas, to spend ducats on a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces. but on the other hand name on the map gets bigger .......

The only thing that matters is the name size

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I strongly disagree over expansion being an actual good early idea group for the aztecs. It really does not help as much as you think it does. Bullying CNs and branching out to other parts of the globe is more efficient than taking expansion to lock them out over other, better ideas.

On the other hand...

oddium posted:

name on the map gets bigger
I still picked it early in both of my aztec runs. :downs:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 5, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Games › Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan Breaks

:emptyquote:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't get it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

But also yeah I think I'm done with EU4 for good at this point. I've had a lot of fun with it over the years, but there are just too many unresolved issues and nothing terribly interesting they can really do with it anymore. It's time to start over with EU5.

Fun fact: EU4 is older than EU3 was when EU4 was first released.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't get it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_Wakes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I strongly disagree over expansion being an actual good early idea group for the aztecs. It really does not help as much as you think it does. Bullying CNs and branching out to other parts of the globe is more efficient than taking expansion to lock them out over other, better ideas.

Yeah having done it as well, Expansion is a silly choice. As usual you'd almost certainly be better off going for Religious Ideas; even if you don't bother to core anything the Policy you get with Trade Ideas is great. Or comedy option take Economic and then of all things, Naval Ideas.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Firebatgyro posted:

Quality is what you want. Its the best military idea group normally, and the usually useless navy ideas in there are actually really good for your run.

I am definitely going to be taking the Quality Idea group at some point as it really does work well with the Aztecs. However, I think it will probably be my 5th idea group because I don't really feel like I need it quite yet and would be better off with a 2nd group that uses admin points.

I think I've decided on switching Economic Ideas for Admin ideas right now and then taking Economic Ideas with maybe the 6th or 7th idea group. As I said before, my economy is already humming and while Economic Ideas would superpower it, I think I'd rather get Admin Ideas up to the core creation cost reduction for now since I want to start taking the Castilian West Indies.

Here's how things currently stand for me in 1601 with Global Trade having just been founded:

Some of it may be hard to see, but the little blue country between me and Florida is my vassal, Illiniwek. As far as I know, they were the first North American Native tribe to flip out of being a tribe (aside from the tribe I powered up in order to reform my religion) and let me get a royal marriage with them. I'm going to let them be kind of like Albania from my Byzantium game because I live in the Chicago area and I found it amusing that the tribe ended up migrating down near the actual state of Florida just like real life snowbirds. I recently went to war with Florida to take the actual state of Florida and gave Illiniwek a couple of extra provinces and will feed them some more. I also took a bit of land just north of Cherokee land in order to be closer to those tribes and to seal Florida off from the middle part of America.

You can also see how I sealed French Columbia into an area that will let them expand a bit before I jump on them. I had expanded down through Panama before the French even started colonizing around Maricabo and some of my early colonies were out in Trinidad and the Orinoco Delta, so I allied with Musica and then colonized the land south of the Orinoco river on French Columbia actually formed.

I've also got the Chickasaw tribe as a vassal (they are the little brown country just west of the Cherokee) as well as the little pink country between my land in southern Brazil and the Spanish colony that is forming in Brazil, I think it's Tupiniquim or something. Spain will pay for squeezing into the space between my land in northern Brazil and Tupinamba/Potiguara, or rather the colony that forms will pay because I'm going to jump on it as soon as it happens, although I'll let them keep forming around the southern land. The Caribbean is held entirely by either me or Castilian West Indies (well and the pirate republic that formed in the Bahamas, but I'll be taking them out soon since it was my land to begin with) and I'm going to start a fight with them pretty soon. English Peru took a bunch of land from Cusco and then I declared on them and took it away. Everything south of the cutoff part of South America is either unowned or part of the British colony of Argentine.

I also allied with Two Sicilies and Brittany because for some reason Spain is allied with both France and Tunis, so I wanted to have some continental allies in case Spain declared on me. You might also be able to notice that Scotland lived long enough to take Exploration Ideas, find North America and got one colony up and running before they got eaten by England. Technically, Scotland still owns the island of Shetland, but it's currently under rebel control and I think it belonged to Norway to start anyway. However, their capital is now in North America. And in other weird news, the Mamluks (I was wrong early when I said the Ottomans were exploring South America, it was the Mamluks) have started building colonies on Australia and have some islands in the Indian Ocean. I'm also actually surprised that nobody besides Scotland has started colonizing Canada yet.

edit - oh hey, I didn't notice that England actually started building a colony in California. I thought it was just a native tribe.

edit 2 - oops, meant to timg the picture.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 5, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't understand why so many people want a new EU since it is 100% going to be without a lot of interesting features and mechanics, have higher base system requirements and starting over buying dlc from scratch because the model is not going to change.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
But this are all good things.

EU4 suffers from feature creep. There are a lot of disjointed systems. They can't cut what they sold in DLC so we stuck with all of them till the sequel. Higher base system requirements are fine because EU4 was made in 2013 and is supposed to work on hardware that was old even in 2013. It doesn't support higher resolutions well. And having a version of EU4 that doesn't need a DLC buying guide would be great, just like CK3 at the moment. Also it looks like they've changed their ways with CK3 so you won't need those guides in the future.

CK3 style sound design, UI and map would make EU5 a much more enjoyable experience even if it's just like EU4 on release. But it's all fantasy since EU5 won't be announced in a foreseeable future.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

It’s pretty frustrating that basic map and text readability didn’t make it as native features in an update. Instead we have to rely on mods that always break. I’ve only played twice since the update and it’s hard to go back unless they’re fixed because I have to keep squinting at numbers on my screen even with GUI scaling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

But this are all good things.

EU4 suffers from feature creep. There are a lot of disjointed systems. They can't cut what they sold in DLC so we stuck with all of them till the sequel. Higher base system requirements are fine because EU4 was made in 2013 and is supposed to work on hardware that was old even in 2013. It doesn't support higher resolutions well. And having a version of EU4 that doesn't need a DLC buying guide would be great, just like CK3 at the moment. Also it looks like they've changed their ways with CK3 so you won't need those guides in the future.

CK3 style sound design, UI and map would make EU5 a much more enjoyable experience even if it's just like EU4 on release. But it's all fantasy since EU5 won't be announced in a foreseeable future.

*Imperator map plz, the one unambiguously great thing in that game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Poil posted:

I don't understand why so many people want a new EU since it is 100% going to be without a lot of interesting features and mechanics, have higher base system requirements and starting over buying dlc from scratch because the model is not going to change.

the new paradox games have really nice maps

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Reject Development back to Pops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
plenty of hardcoded things, some ideas like pops, etc

I don't think eu5 would work well just because I am not sure how you could revolutionize it enough to make a selling point. Ck3 worked because it really hyped up religion as a society defining aspect, but I am not sure that sort of thing would work in a eu context