Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do we have any official weapon popularity polls for Rise yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/etizenkuragegou/status/1389152954100305920?s=19

Spiral thrust is too strong

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Playing MHW with some friends lately and I'm the one responsible for shepherding them through this game's mystifying co-op features. In an effort to save the very limited time we have to play together, anyone happen to know if I can bring them into an expedition to unlock palico gadgets for everybody, or do we need to do that separately?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Vargs posted:

Playing MHW with some friends lately and I'm the one responsible for shepherding them through this game's mystifying co-op features. In an effort to save the very limited time we have to play together, anyone happen to know if I can bring them into an expedition to unlock palico gadgets for everybody, or do we need to do that separately?

I think palico gadget quests are instanced more or less, but you could at least walk them through it in the same expedition without any issue? It's definitely one thing I didn't care for in that game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bring back the Ice Tetranodon, Zamtrios

Running for my life while Tetranodon and Zamtrios chase me on comically small motorcycles.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
It'd be real nice if you could chain investigations together without having to activate the quest and go through a loading screen

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Huxley posted:

Bowgunning for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal Lance set (which I never play), then continuing to bowgun for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal horn set (which I also never play), then continuing to bowgun for speedy runs as I grind up my ideal (etc).

This has been my experience so far too... Was farming purple orbs for handicraft decos and found a group of four LBGs, we averaged 4/5 min kills on magna. It was p disgusting.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
lbg is just silly in this game. Not sure how it makes sense for lbg to outdamage hbg on most monsters yet here we are

I made a status lbg set and it rocks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I tried out the Narga Pierce LBG but I felt like I just chewed through ammo even on an easy monster.

Anyone got a build incase I was overlooking something? Do I only use Pierce 2? How much ammo should I expect to use, and what do I pack to maximize my ability to craft more in the field?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool. I know I got this Sunday but life's been busy.

Hey welcome to the party! It’s fun in here!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Oxyclean posted:

I tried out the Narga Pierce LBG but I felt like I just chewed through ammo even on an easy monster.

Anyone got a build incase I was overlooking something? Do I only use Pierce 2? How much ammo should I expect to use, and what do I pack to maximize my ability to craft more in the field?

I've been using the narga lbg almost exclusively, and you definitely want to be using pierce 2 (with a silencer so it shoots faster). I have to craft more ammo maybe twice a fight? I havent used it solo yet so I'm not sure about that but I'm going through about 2 and change sets of pierce 2 ammo. All you need to bring to keep it up is a full stack of Latchberries and a full stack of Gunpowder 2, you'll never run out.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The government of Kamura really needs to pass gun control laws

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pick up a bow and leave your ammo worries behind you.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Oxyclean posted:

Make sure you've got spare shot maxed, it helps a ton.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Oxyclean posted:

You only use pierce 2.

Pierce 2 crafts from Pierce 1 with Gunpowder 2. Both of which can be purchased.

And every pierce 1 + gunpowder you use crafts 4 pierce 2.

So running in with 60 pierce 2, 60 pierce 1 and 60 gunpowder 2 gives you 300 pierce 2 for a full encounter which is more than enough.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You can make thousands of gunpowder 2 easily. There's a great fish you can get from the subs but you gotta fish it up first. It makes 40 per fish and fire herb. Also one for level 3.

Buy the level one pierce it's like 2gold a shot and makes 4 level 2 or 3, so half a gold per shot.

You need to craft more level 1 with sticky ammo if you plan to main it, it's not a good main and you will run dry and need to switch to backup. Sticky for KO only. (it's fine early on though it does the same damage everywhere so good enough for learning)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So played this a bit with my friend tonight and had a good time. After trying to use the Sw/Sh for a bit, I decided it had too much going on for me. Too many combos that I couldn't figure out. I like it's speed though and I may revisit it.

I've stuck with HH since and I'm enjoying it. It's a touch slower but not too slower and once you figure out the 3 different moves you have plus performance it pretty much plays itself.

Ideally, I'd do the former for solo play and the latter for Hub play since I do like the buffs.

I also checked out Insect Glaive and it just seems super cool but gently caress if it looks massively complicated.

Anyway game's incomprehensible but it's simple enough in that I just need to bash or slash monsters and not die. What I mean by that is that it explains just enough so you know-ish what to do, but there's just so much left unsaid. It's actually kind of impressive.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Here's my set but it's pretty optimized

1. Only use piercing 2 ammo
2. Use the long barrel mod for the gun, it's easier to gem out the recoil than it is to get more attack and it improves the critical distance too
3. For armor skills, prioritize pierce up first then weakness exploit then crit boost. You can try to fit in rapid fire up 3 but only if you've already maxed out those other skills. Recoil down 3 and at least 1 point of reload speed. After that, you can put in as max damage and utility skills as you can fit. Crit eye past level 2 is redundant since the gun already has 40 percent affinity. If you can fit in attack boost you may need a few levels before it gives any extra damage due to the low motion values. Spare shot isn't necessaryin my opinion since you have a large total pierce ammo capacity and it's most useful for stuff with small ammo capacities like sticky, slicing, elemental and you already have fastest reload but it's a matter of personal preference. Ballistics 2 is nice to extend your critical distance.
4. Make sure you're within the critical distance. If your crosshair is white you're either too close or too far from the monster. There's a sweet spot where you're close to the monster but not too close and not too far and your crosshair turns orange. This is when you do the most damage
5. Shoot the monster at different parts until you see orange numbers then keep shooting those parts. Try to angle your shots so you hit through the monster in the longest line.
6. A lot of the easy monsters are small so the pierce ammo travels through them less and other ammo types are more efficient for them, like slicing or spread
7. If you have it unlocked, spam the fanning maneuver switch skill off cooldown, it gives you an attack buff
8. Bring materials to craft more ammo and add it to your radial menu
9. Ramp up for attack

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So played this a bit with my friend tonight and had a good time. After trying to use the Sw/Sh for a bit, I decided it had too much going on for me. Too many combos that I couldn't figure out. I like it's speed though and I may revisit it.

I've stuck with HH since and I'm enjoying it. It's a touch slower but not too slower and once you figure out the 3 different moves you have plus performance it pretty much plays itself.

Ideally, I'd do the former for solo play and the latter for Hub play since I do like the buffs.

I also checked out Insect Glaive and it just seems super cool but gently caress if it looks massively complicated.

Anyway game's incomprehensible but it's simple enough in that I just need to bash or slash monsters and not die. What I mean by that is that it explains just enough so you know-ish what to do, but there's just so much left unsaid. It's actually kind of impressive.

Take it from a dumbass who is not very good at the game: Bugstick is not that complicated.

It does suck early on until you get better bugs, though, so holding off for now is a good idea. Check the shop for a Carnage Beetle and snap one of them up as soon as you see it. That's the bug you want.

Hold ZR and it X to fire the bug. Aim it somewhere on the monster. Your bug will hit it and suck up some sweet juice for you. ZR and A to call it back and get that juice for yourself. The most important juice is red because it increases your attack and makes your combos faster. Red juice is typically found on the monster's head, but remember that beetle I said to get? It always gets red juice, plus one other color. It's a very set and forget bug. Once you have your red juice you can go ham.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

gently caress the meta i will only play bonk weapons

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Poniard posted:

gently caress the meta i will only play bonk weapons

Sticky rounds bonk!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I played hammer for a while and got kinda bored, but haven't gotten into a groove with anything else. Maybe I should just go back to bonking :(

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

suuma posted:

I played hammer for a while and got kinda bored, but haven't gotten into a groove with anything else. Maybe I should just go back to bonking :(

There is a hammer that lets you groove, and you can still bonk. Try Hunting Horn today!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is the Zinogre HH back to being a guitar?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hell yeah it is.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

OSU!
TATAKAE!
OUENDOGGGGGG!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was it ever not a guitar???

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Was it ever not a guitar???

I don't know why I was under the impression that the Iceborne model was not a guitar. Guess I was wrong!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

To add to this.

This is a good aim for the deep endgame.

But I'd say for midgame (/you're not going to grind that much) it's probably not realistic and you can go for a much easier setup that at the very least has carried me through Rise with no trouble.

What I'd suggest doing before going for the crit focused builds which are very dependent on exact decorations and really rare armour (seriously, I didn't know the Vaik mail existed until yesterday) is to go for a straight damage up build.

The Rhenopolos set is easy to make and gives Pierce Up 3 which is +20% damage. You want the Head and feet here.
You can then grab the Rathalos Chest, Bracers and then your choice of then Anjanath legs or the Rathalos legs for attack boost 5.

Decorate for reload down 1 and recoil down 2. You don't really need recoil down 3 because it doesn't benefit pierce 2, (even though it does benefit your paralysis and slicing ammo)

And then go at it. You'll murder basically everything.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So I'm divided on whether I want to still use the Barioth Heavy Bowgun for Pierce 3, or switch to the Kushala Daora Heavy Bowgun. Barioth's advantages are a larger clip, ability to move while shooting, and a level 2 slot on the weapon. Daora's advantages are 20% more affinity with the ramp-up in effect... so it seems more like choosing between comfiness or power, in that case, and I tend to lean towards comfiness cause it helps me play better in most cases. I wish Daora had a better slot or didn't have deviation to undo or it might be a tighter race. I have sets made for both though. Anyone have any other opinions RE: Pierce HBGs?

I also think I'll be using the Teostra HBG for Sticky. While the Meteor Cannon has larger clips, it suffers a little in attack power because of the effect of Teostra Soul, and the difference between 2 stickies and 3 stickies probably isn't that massive (though now that I think about it, it does create an awkward uneven number for reloads...). Other advantages Teostra's HBG has is access to Cluster Bombs and the Wyvernheart special ammo, which more or less help seal the deal for me. Would also be curious on thoughts on these.

Finally, I further optimized my Rakna HBG to specifically be focused on Fire-elemental ammo, and I'm hoping I can get the chance to put that to use in the future. I really wish it had Pierce Effect II, I really don't know why it's still saddled with Pierce Effect I even at its final upgrade. The level 2 ammo just isn't worth it on Heavy Bowguns! It'd at least be a tempting fight against the Barioth HBG with that juicy 40% base affinity on it.

The Vaik Mail is really good and y'all need to go fish a Speartuna at the Frost Islands to make use of it. Armor with no skills and a lot of slots might seem weird but just think of it like back in World - there was never any reason to choose alpha over beta armor for the most part, and Vaik Mail + Jyura Braces is basically beta armor.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Getting near the end of World's story I think. Vaal Hazak was surprisingly easy for something with the name "Elder Dragon"

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Just starting World and from what I can tell the Defender gear is a catchup mechanic to get players to Iceborne. Should I skip using it and enjoy the game naturally. I plan on mostly playing solo.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
World is well worth experiencing on its own terms. Personally, I say don't touch the Defender gear and associated weaponry. They'll instill bad habits, and you skip out on some of the best experiences in the game.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 5, 2021

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

What skills should I focus on if I’m interested in building a Bow set? Any standout armor pieces? Looking to branch out from maiming CB.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nosthula posted:

Just starting World and from what I can tell the Defender gear is a catchup mechanic to get players to Iceborne. Should I skip using it and enjoy the game naturally. I plan on mostly playing solo.

That is exactly what the Defender gear is. If you want to play World the way it was intended to be played, don't use it. It'll still be there if you decide you want to rush Iceborne.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

new kind of cat posted:

What skills should I focus on if I’m interested in building a Bow set? Any standout armor pieces? Looking to branch out from maiming CB.

Constitution and stamina surge, shot type up, element type attack up and then wex/attack up as you can fit. Armor pieces with three slots and the bow charge plus helmet from the arena are basically mandatory.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, skip the defender gear. It's skipping the tutorial but due to the nature of the game all of low rank is necessary tutorial. And fun!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I'm using the defender gear because i don't want to spend 100 hours getting to Iceborne

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of iceborne, what was the logic behind velkhana supposed to be again? Like it goes to the recess to absorb a bunch of heat, then generates ice by rapidly purging that heat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

new kind of cat posted:

Following up on the previous post, Rakna-kadaki legs or Tobi-kadachi arms can get you most of the way started on your stamina needs, and the Vaik chest is good for building your own armor set. A good talisman will carry a lot of your build since you're crunched on space without access to a head slot, so see if you have something good to work with. The shell-studded and vaik sets are good for filling out shot-type up if you can get partway there on a talisman.

For bows you can play with all the types and see what you like but if you want to cut to the good stuff Rapid-type bows are the best for 98% of monsters, and a good pierce bow can round out your collection. Anjanath, Heaven's Glaze, Tobi-Kadachi and Mizutsune are a good collection of bows that have rapid shots you can use to cover most every monster's elemental weakness. A Rampage bow with pierce shot and dragon element is great for Narwa, you will do a comedic quantity of numbers every time you fire.