Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm probably curling a monkey paw here, but I'd love Fallout 3+DLC (mostly so there's a non-twatty ending) to be redone in the Metro Exodus engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like how they changed how power armor works in 4. Collecting the pieces, customizing them, and finally taking a fully optimized suit out is pretty gratifying.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
It was nice, but giving it to you right off the bat was kinda bad, at least for how I played. I'd always go off the beaten path and so I'm swimming in fusion cores before I even get to Diamond City. Which means I could just wear the power armor all the time if I wanted. I also have massive amounts of levels so all the power armor I find in the wild is the best poo poo cause of the scaling.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

There is something to Bethesda's writing in F4 that lets you just be a total dickhead that I love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUf99mlpFBk

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Byzantine posted:

Also the Silver Shroud quest.

Ok this is 100 percent true as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

grittyreboot posted:

I like how they changed how power armor works in 4. Collecting the pieces, customizing them, and finally taking a fully optimized suit out is pretty gratifying.

The problem with power armor, much like settlements, is that while they did succeed in adding enough mechanical complexity to them they then struggled to actually integrate them into the greater game. There's so much fiddly bullshit, dumb perk dependencies, and strange balance choices that make using power armor way less appealing. To whit: My character was built such that entering power armor would actually make her weaker.

ElBrak posted:

I also have massive amounts of levels so all the power armor I find in the wild is the best poo poo cause of the scaling.

There's actually a noticeable cap on power armor quality but it is still pretty silly once you start running into endless half-finished X-01 suits and such.

Kitfox88 posted:

Ok this is 100 percent true as well.

And as an extension of that, you can confront the Mechanist in-character as the Shroud. :allears: You can also play along with the Nuka Wild robots which I found amusing. I'm not wild about the voice acting myself, but it definitely has its moments.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

The problem with power armor, much like settlements, is that while they did succeed in adding enough mechanical complexity to them they then struggled to actually integrate them into the greater game. There's so much fiddly bullshit, dumb perk dependencies, and strange balance choices that make using power armor way less appealing. To whit: My character was built such that entering power armor would actually make her weaker.

It's an (ironically) more subtle version of a problem I always saw in Skyrim: that despite being a game that allegedly supports a bunch of possible player types, new features weren't implemented with all playstyles in mind.

In Skyrim that manifested in the form of 'every design decision was made with a Big Burly Man-Hero in mind', and all other playstyles were either only incidentally affected by it, or directly nerfed so that their tools didn't overshadow the intended style (still mad about magic). Whereas in Fallout 4 it's more that all the most fun new toys are gated behind 'big strength, big equipment mods', and if you don't have the capacity for both you don't get to have fun with it all.

My playstyle is usually 'stealth glass-cannon brainiac', which was just screwed over completely in Skyrim because magic was ruined. But in Fallout 4 it got super weird; I could upgrade and use power armor really well, but it made me worse at the whole 'stealth' thing, and without getting the power armor bonuses gated behind strength. So I could either play a decent stealth character and basically play Fallout 3, or I could use all the fun new toys but in a playstyle I never enjoy playing and without the strength bonuses it was designed around.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
River City Girls has one of my favorite visual gags in recent memory, in the Yakuza building. In one of the rooms, you find massive amounts of cash, as well as several massive laundry machines.

It took me a second to put it together, but it's such a :allears: joke.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One of the little things I love about the Resident Evil 2 remake is how they treat non-firearm weapons. The knife and grenades now act as QTE counters to instantly get out of a zombie grab, which is great. But then, the knife (which is useful for melee in its own right) can be recovered after you kill off the enemy, making it much less risky to use up as a get-out-of-danger item. Even better if it's someone you countered an hour ago, only to find, hey, free knife! :homebrew:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I threw an apple at a pokemon and took a picture of it and this is what the game gave it as a title

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Scorbunny is such a little shitter in every picture I’ve seen from the game, it’s great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

I threw an apple at a pokemon and took a picture of it and this is what the game gave it as a title

As always, the game really hits its stride the moment you're allowed to start pestering animals

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

As always, the game really hits its stride the moment you're allowed to start pestering animals

I love it cause the game really puts in effort to say "This does not hurt the pokemon at all". First they tell you that it isn't an apple, its just something that LOOKS like an apple called fluff fruit, which is lighter and softer than an apple. And when you bean pikachu with it the tutorial goes "oh you startled it, but thats ok, you aren't hurting it!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's okay Timmy this isn't a gun, it just looks like a gun but shoots uh love pellets, just aim it at the pokemon and fire so that they'll get full of love pellets and go to sleep. Look at all that excess red love just spilling out of them! Good work Timmy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh, so it's like the Arkham games?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh does gal gun cross over on the new pokemon snap

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

bony tony posted:

Oh, so it's like the Arkham games?

drat it, now I'm visualizing a trainer doing a leap onto a Pokemon and punching it in the rear end to knock it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This isn't a mud hole, it's a pokemon gym, and I'm the trainer

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Ash Ketchum has never killed a Pokemon.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

haveblue posted:

This isn't a mud hole, it's a pokemon gym, and I'm the trainer

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Been playing NV again and I've remembered that I've always really liked the way the game handles the idea of being gay/bi. Rather than not having the option (bad) or having it just be a totally post-homophobia world (fine and an understandable choice) they go the route of actually having different factions and people respond differently depending on their personal position and cultural associations, and have multiple gay characters from different backgrounds who have different experiences.

Like, the one that sticks out to me is the little independent brothel near Freeside where there's a young woman, an old woman and a young man working - if you talk to the NPCs there, a lot of them will make mild fun of the old woman/her clients, but if you talk to her she's mad homophobic about the young guy, and it's like, oh, yeah actually it's fairly realistic that this person would kick down at someone they perceive as even more socially unacceptable than them if given the framework to do that in. None of it is particularly front and centre, it's all pretty much just flavour and incidental encounters that you could ignore entirely if you don't care, but it's thoughtful and complicated in a way I don't expect from games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And then there's the bit where you can hit on your own disembodied, semi-independent brain.

Also gets interesting that gay characters aren't always about you. Boone's estranged sniping buddy, in a conversation easily missed if you don't have the right perks, is implied to be gay and was jealous of Boone's wife. IIRC, picking the lesbian perk is one way to unlock those dialogue options.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then there's the bit where you can hit on your own disembodied, semi-independent brain.

Also gets interesting that gay characters aren't always about you. Boone's estranged sniping buddy, in a conversation easily missed if you don't have the right perks, is implied to be gay and was jealous of Boone's wife. IIRC, picking the lesbian perk is one way to unlock those dialogue options.

That's one of the things I like a lot, that people are just off being gay in the world without your input, and choosing the gay perk isn't just a "hitting on people" button, it's also a "gay/bi people will talk to you like you're on the level" button. It's subtle and an aspect of the game a lot of players will never see, but you can tell at some point someone's sat down and really thought about it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Edit: this is the positive thread...

I really like the gathering hub in Monster Hunter Iceborn, it’s way better laid out than having to navigate the multilevel nightmare that is Astera.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

small ghost posted:

That's one of the things I like a lot, that people are just off being gay in the world without your input, and choosing the gay perk isn't just a "hitting on people" button, it's also a "gay/bi people will talk to you like you're on the level" button. It's subtle and an aspect of the game a lot of players will never see, but you can tell at some point someone's sat down and really thought about it.

The perk and even its name are a reference to how even straight people really did used to speak of the dreaded gays in hushed tones like they're lord voldemort or something because codified language was easier than being out, so this, sadly for humankind, tracks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fisto was the best prostitute in NV

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The perk and even its name are a reference to how even straight people really did used to speak of the dreaded gays in hushed tones like they're lord voldemort or something because codified language was easier than being out, so this, sadly for humankind, tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WNsOMAmaC8

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The NV perks introduced me to the phrase Cherchez la Femme and it's a shame there's no real equivalent in English.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Plus they gave us the delights of that guy getting mad at Ropekid in the NV thread because Confirmed Bachelor didn't make him a manly manly James Bond type but instead made all the filthy queens hit on him FOR SOME REASON.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I will admit that I didn't know what the term meant when I first played the game and I picked it for the damage without thinking* but then I was just "oh, so that's what meant. guess i'm gay now"

Although I only had 2 INT so that made it weird again.

*Yes, the existence of Black Widow/Ladykiller should have clued me in.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

Plus they gave us the delights of that guy getting mad at Ropekid in the NV thread because Confirmed Bachelor didn't make him a manly manly James Bond type but instead made all the filthy queens hit on him FOR SOME REASON.

lmao someone find the quotes for this

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I will admit that I didn't know what the term meant when I first played the game and I picked it for the damage without thinking* but then I was just "oh, so that's what meant. guess i'm gay now"

Although I only had 2 INT so that made it weird again.

*Yes, the existence of Black Widow/Ladykiller should have clued me in.

"shot in the head and now im dumb and gay" ie himboification

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Stexils posted:

thanks for my new playthrough gimmick

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stexils posted:

SHOT THROUGH THE HEAD
AND NOW I'M GAY
YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME (BAD NAME)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

lmao someone find the quotes for this

I’m at work but if you look through Bloody Hedgehog’s posts in the release thread they’ll turn up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m at work but if you look through Bloody Hedgehog’s posts in the release thread they’ll turn up.

:effort:

Also I got into the HZD dlc and Aloy’s dumbass hop waddlestride through the deep snow parts in so on point that I actually burst out laughing at it the first time I saw it. Also the Banuk power bows own.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I appreciate all the work put into the surrounding content, it still feels pretty grody to have to actively spec into being gay (or bi!) the same way you spec into big guns or energy weapons. ...And actually in general the mechanics of "you're a gay guy so you do +10% damage to guys"....also feels really weird to me?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It’s more like you spec into being flirty and charismatic.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

While I appreciate all the work put into the surrounding content, it still feels pretty grody to have to actively spec into being gay (or bi!) the same way you spec into big guns or energy weapons. ...And actually in general the mechanics of "you're a gay guy so you do +10% damage to guys"....also feels really weird to me?

What's weird about that? That's what things are like for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ariong posted:

It’s more like you spec into being flirty and charismatic.

I get that that's the conceit, and that the straight versions exist as well so it's not egregiously biased, but it still doesn't sit well with me. :shrug: